Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 73
Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
Welcome to our newcomers! This is such a friendly and informative thread to keep motivated, you're in the right place!

Susan - the Zen music sounds fabulous! I might have to try that!

Marlenelet - by breastbone do you mean sternum or collar bone? I've found callanetics has taken it off my hips and thighs faster than anywhere else, which initially was problematic to the eye because it gave the optical illusion of making my tummy area look worse, when it was actually better. I am starting to even out a bit more now at last.

I realised yesterday that we are out this Friday for the day and it's going to be a long one. So I took that as the perfect excuse to do Evolution yesterday (as well as my shoulder work!) and I've done Super this morning. So week 1 completed on target. Whether I can manage to get through until Monday before wanting to do more Callanetics remains to be seen!

It does get me to 50 hours overall now and I've lost another 1lb (3lb in total) so as I'm not bloated to high heaven today (well other than my ankles!) I took the important measurements. They are in my signature below, but basically I've stayed the same bust and hips but lost 0.75 inch on each of my waist measurements. My top thighs have also lost 0.75 of an inch.

I think it's a little bit deceptive because I've finally invested in bra which fits which has lifted the height of my boobs quite significantly, which has had the added benefit of making me look about 14lb lighter in clothes! My behind has also lifted hugely. I think I've seen the most change there. I'm hoping as it lifts it actually increases that measurement a little as time goes on. Because I am naturally thick in the middle since the pregnancy and I've got boobs it evens me out and slims me down a little having more behind behind me!

If Callan was still with us I'd be sending her a letter thanking her for her program. Not only is it helping me reshape my body but I can't even begin to tell you what it's done for my loose tummy skin! It's just getting better, I look more 'skinny fat' than 'baby fat' already and I've no doubt I can get my abs back before long. And as for that saying about for every 1lb you lose with diet, Callanetics will make it look like 2. Well I've lost a whole 3lb over the 50 hours and I think I easily look 10-12lb lighter. People are commenting at last!
Zula is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 73
Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
ops! Signature not updated? :S How about now?
Zula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member
 
susanw53's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 963
Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
There's a lot of excitement here. I detect a strong dose of Callanetics addiction going on. Marlenelet, when you started I bet you never thought you'd be disappointed about missing a session. Zula is so enamored that she snuck in an extra session of Evolution to stay on target for the week. My daughter Rachel has been struggling through a migraine but that hasn't kept her from staying on her every-other-day schedule. She even woke up the other day early because, in her dream she told herself it was time to wake up so she could do Callanetics! She says Callanetics doesn't aggravate the migraine but does help her sleep soundly. I've been playing with Callanetics for over 25 years and I'm still in awe of the power of these gentle pulses done with effortless relaxation. They are so much more than simply exercises and we are all proof of that. Zula, you will be amazed at how quickly you will progress from 'skinny fat' to 'totally toned'. My hope is that you will continue on from there with some type of weekly maintenance schedule for the rest of your life because there's nothing out there that will carry you through life more fit and centered. Marlenelet, Callanetics will sculpt your body so that no part looks boney, but rather every part of you looks 'just right' and in balance with every other part. It's what the program is designed to do.

Vanilla. It can be difficult to stick with Callanetics without someone motivating you and this thread is a wonderful answer to that. Our goal is to keep you going until you also find the addictive quality and beyond. If you have any questions please ask. Someone here will have an answer. Just so you know going in, the magic really starts somewhere between 30 to 40 sessions and never stops from there. Every session I ask myself how I can still be so surprised at the effectiveness of Callanetics. I love the way my body feels sculpted the following day. Lately I've begun entertaining thoughts of doing four sessions a week. See? Addictive.

Just my daily Feldenkraise movements today to keep my body prepped for Callanetics tomorrow. I adore these stretches and I'm always amazed when I do my Callanetics at how effectively they compliment each other. I'm deep into a study of the body. Yesterday I wrote up all the connections of the fascia meridians then followed with listing the major muscle actions so I could match up the two lists. Today I start the process of breaking down each individual Callanetics move in my regular session into each and every required muscle action. My goal is a deeper understanding of where the contractions are with each movement and how the meridians influence each other. You can't tell I was trained to be an educator can you?

Keep it up everyone. Happy pulsing.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6
Gallery: tofutofu
Hi everyone,

I've been stalking the Callanetics posts on lcf for tips/motivation for a while and decided to join in! My goal is to alternate arms/abs and legs/hips each day and walk at least 12 miles/week. So far this week I'm on track - 1 hour & 4 miles down. I also did 3 hours last week and everything is firmer, though sadly not smaller yet.

Silverza - I've done various TAM things. Here are my thoughts:
-A lot of the videos I've done were frustrating because she's not good a cueing/counting/explaining. I would watch them all the way through, write down the moves, and do them while I watched tv.
-I think her arm/bum/leg moves are better than her ab moves, which seem to make you boxy (based on my experience & photos of her clients).
-I dislike her cardio (boring, poorly cued).
-I think that on the whole her moves do work (lift, tone, firm), but you won't lose sizes very quickly unless you diet and/or do cardio.
tofutofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member
 
susanw53's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 963
Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofutofu View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been stalking the Callanetics posts on lcf for tips/motivation for a while and decided to join in! My goal is to alternate arms/abs and legs/hips each day and walk at least 12 miles/week. So far this week I'm on track - 1 hour & 4 miles down. I also did 3 hours last week and everything is firmer, though sadly not smaller yet.

Silverza - I've done various TAM things. Here are my thoughts:-
-A lot of the videos I've done were frustrating because she's not good a cueing/counting/explaining. I would watch them all the way through, write down the moves, and do them while I watched tv.
-I think her arm/bum/leg moves are better than her ab moves, which seem to make you boxy (based on my experience & photos of her clients).
-I dislike her cardio (boring, poorly cued).
-I think that on the whole her moves do work (lift, tone, firm), but you won't lose sizes very quickly unless you diet and/or do cardio.
tofutofu It's always smart to begin Callanetics slowly to give your body time to adjust to the movements, but the program was designed to use as a whole. I usually advise that you begin by doing all of the warmups and 1/4 of the total pulses for each movement for the first four days then take a break for a day or two before starting into a regular schedule of at least twice a week. The movements are designed to lead your body through stages of readiness, preparing you for the next sequence. While you will get benefits from doing isolated sets you won't get the marvelous sculpting and aligning that the entire program gives you as a whole. The only exception to this is the AM/PM series, but they are meant to be done every day. My advice is to switch your practice to include a full run, even if you can't do all the pulses Callan is asking you to do at first. Eventually you will be able to get them all done and your body will thank you for the effort.

Happy pulsing.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member
 
susanw53's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 963
Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Hello everyone!

I've had one attempt at Callanetics last year, but I've been so crazily busy that I've given up on the work outs

Please help me now and keep me motivated and SYSTEMATIC.

This is my target for Sept. To be systematic.

And just one question, is the first video of Callan "The one hour challenge" OK to work out with?

Greetings to all
I believe you are talking about the original "Look 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours" which is the best jumping off point I know. Most of us have her wonderfully gentle voice embedded in the recesses of our brains.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Gallery: Sea80
Hello all! I am in as well for at least 10 sessions this month. Iíve done 2 so far. My muscles feel so sore after all this time with no exercise at all!

However I am afraid that my problem area (thighs) will not change ever. My thighs look horrible and I am only 14 pounds away from my goal (127). Iíve tried callanetics in the past but I didnít stick to it for more than 19 sessions per time because I always got discouraged. Anyways, Iíll try once more and Iíll add even more cardio. Patience should become my friend!

Good luck to all
Sea80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #38
odo
Senior LCF Member
 
odo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cumbria, England,UK
Posts: 153
Gallery: odo
Stats: 148
WOE: none
Start Date: 2003, 07/2013
Another one in the bag today On target for the week.
odo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England
Posts: 61
Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Hi everyone

Can't tell you how great it is to be doing Callanetics again. This morning was quite comical as I prepared the room for exercise before taking the kids to school and then dropped them off and raced home, dived through the front door and the DVD was put straight on. It is so nice to have the tranquility back in the house! After a crazy summer, I'm so relieved to be back doing these wonderful exercises and so the first session of September has been completed. I think, Susan, I will try that Zen music you mentioned tomorrow -I will look it up on You Tube.

I thought I would be back to square one after a month off but I slipped right back into it and have not lost form or technique although today my focus was 100% .

Welcome to all the newbies that have joined this month, there is something for everyone in Callanetics.

Happy pulsing!
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member
 
Jigglebuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 491
Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea80 View Post
Hello all! I am in as well for at least 10 sessions this month. Iíve done 2 so far. My muscles feel so sore after all this time with no exercise at all!

However I am afraid that my problem area (thighs) will not change ever. My thighs look horrible and I am only 14 pounds away from my goal (127). Iíve tried callanetics in the past but I didnít stick to it for more than 19 sessions per time because I always got discouraged. Anyways, Iíll try once more and Iíll add even more cardio. Patience should become my friend!

Good luck to all
Hi Sea80, and

It seems my thighs are where I gained most of my weight, and i can tell you Callanetics is to thank for getting them back in shape. It does take more than 10 sessions though, and I have to say, if I didn't measure anything, I wouldn't have realised just how much it was working, nor how quickly.

Anyway, just popping in to let you know it works, so trust and believe, and keep on pulsing on!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13
Gallery: silverza
Typical

Finally got my mind right to get going with it, and have come down with 'flu.

sigh..
silverza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 105
Gallery: marlenelet
2nd hour of 10/10 done for September, bringing my total to 13Hrs.

Zula, yes I'm referring to the sternum. I've forgotten most of what I'd learned of human anatomy in school

Yup, my bottom half has slimmed down dramatically ( though my weight remains the same ), but that layer of fat in my middle has somewhat refused to budge....but I'm reassured by your progress that it'll eventually improve.


Susan, I'm a pear-shaped so I'm naturally skinny on top. I've never liked my heavy bottom half but despite that, I've held off exercising because every time I've had any weight loss ( from dieting and/or exercising ), I ended up looking boney and hollow in my chest. People would comment that they thought I was sick. So glad that I have managed to keep a steady weight and lost inches where I should lose them with Callanetics! It being so effective, addictive and the sense of accountability with this forum, I really hope that I can stick with it long term.

I'm not doing cardio at the moment? Should I start doing some cardio?

Also, 10/10 is the only DVD that I own. Is it alright to still keep doing 10/10 for say, the first 3 - 4 months without the body plateauing? I'm thinking of getting the Super and Evolution some time in the near future.

Last edited by marlenelet; 09-04-2013 at 06:23 PM..
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8
Gallery: LeaS
Stats: 196/178/155
WOE: Paleo with occasional treats allowed
Start Date: July 2013
Yesterday and today workouts complete, 2/12 for the month, 5 total since start.

You gals weren't kidding when you said it gets harder as you get stronger!
LeaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 73
Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
Welcome tofutofu,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea80 View Post
However I am afraid that my problem area (thighs) will not change ever. My thighs look horrible and I am only 14 pounds away from my goal (127). Iíve tried callanetics in the past but I didnít stick to it for more than 19 sessions per time because I always got discouraged. Anyways, Iíll try once more and Iíll add even more cardio. Patience should become my friend!

Good luck to all
Sea80 by the time I hit 20 hours I was quite lean through the thighs yet I've managed to loose another 0.75 inch off the top of each thigh between 20 and 50 hours. Stick with it! It does keep working I promise!



Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenelet View Post
2nd hour of 10/10 done for September, bringing my total to 13Hrs.

Zula, yes I'm referring to the sternum. I've forgotten most of what I'd learned of human anatomy in school

Yup, my bottom half has slimmed down dramatically ( though my weight remains the same ), but that layer of fat in my middle has somewhat refused to budge....but I'm reassured by your progress that it'll eventually improve.


Susan, I'm a pear-shaped so I'm naturally skinny on top. I've never liked my heavy bottom half but despite that, I've held off exercising because every time I've had any weight loss ( from dieting and/or exercising ), I ended up looking boney and hollow in my chest. People would comment that they thought I was sick. So glad that I have managed to keep a steady weight and lost inches where I should lose them with Callanetics! It being so effective, addictive and the sense of accountability with this forum, I really hope that I can stick with it long term.

I'm not doing cardio at the moment? Should I start doing some cardio?

Also, 10/10 is the only DVD that I own. Is it alright to still keep doing 10/10 for say, the first 3 - 4 months without the body plateauing? I'm thinking of getting the Super and Evolution some time in the near future.
Marlenelet it will all happen, I nearly gave up when I couldn't see any progress (with weight as well as measurements) but it was almost like my body had shut up shop whilst reorganising and now things are happening with drastic speed. As for cardio, I loath it so I've got myself a pedometer to track my walking steps. It does encourage me to move around more and it has helped speed things up for me.
Zula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member
 
Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 261
Gallery: Stardust
Oh I'd like to join in please! After seeing great results on the Callanetics before and after posts I ordered the 10/10 DVD and it was despatched yesterday.

I have vague memories of my mum doing it when I was young but never tried it myself. I have a gym membership too so I am aiming to 2 nights in the gym 2 nights swimming and 2 nights Callanetics. Do you think that would be pushing it too far?
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member
 
Jigglebuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 491
Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
One more hour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
Oh I'd like to join in please! After seeing great results on the Callanetics before and after posts I ordered the 10/10 DVD and it was despatched yesterday.

I have vague memories of my mum doing it when I was young but never tried it myself. I have a gym membership too so I am aiming to 2 nights in the gym 2 nights swimming and 2 nights Callanetics. Do you think that would be pushing it too far?
It all depends on your schedule, really. To me, that sounds like a really nice balance.


Last edited by Jigglebuster; 09-05-2013 at 02:53 AM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Gallery: Sea80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Hi Sea80, and

It seems my thighs are where I gained most of my weight, and i can tell you Callanetics is to thank for getting them back in shape. It does take more than 10 sessions though, and I have to say, if I didn't measure anything, I wouldn't have realised just how much it was working, nor how quickly.

Anyway, just popping in to let you know it works, so trust and believe, and keep on pulsing on!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post

Sea80 by the time I hit 20 hours I was quite lean through the thighs yet I've managed to loose another 0.75 inch off the top of each thigh between 20 and 50 hours. Stick with it! It does keep working I promise!
Thank you so much for your reply and encouragement Jigglebuster and Zula

Iíve noticed that my thighs got some definition in the past but I stopped thinking that I was not getting anywhere. Since there is hope I'll keep going till I see results. It means a lot to us newbies when you are giving us advice and you share your personal experiences. I was afraid to join the challenge but now I realise how important it is to have people supporting you.
Sea80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6
Gallery: tofutofu
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
tofutofu It's always smart to begin Callanetics slowly to give your body time to adjust to the movements, but the program was designed to use as a whole. I usually advise that you begin by doing all of the warmups and 1/4 of the total pulses for each movement for the first four days then take a break for a day or two before starting into a regular schedule of at least twice a week. The movements are designed to lead your body through stages of readiness, preparing you for the next sequence. While you will get benefits from doing isolated sets you won't get the marvelous sculpting and aligning that the entire program gives you as a whole. The only exception to this is the AM/PM series, but they are meant to be done every day. My advice is to switch your practice to include a full run, even if you can't do all the pulses Callan is asking you to do at first. Eventually you will be able to get them all done and your body will thank you for the effort.

Happy pulsing.
Thank you for the welcome and advice Susan! I was afraid I might be scuppering myself a bit by splitting it up :\ The reason I split it is to save time as my schedule is a bit tight at the moment; physically I can get through it all at once. Would it work to do everything every day, but do half as many pulses so it takes half as much time? (Not ideal, I know)
tofutofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member
 
susanw53's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 963
Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Another glorious session of Callanetics complete. This time I chose a different zen garden video (same garden, different shots and music). With the sound of the waterfalls and fountains and the intermittent bird song backed up with wind chimes and those peaceful prayer bowls made it feel like I was visiting a spa and working outdoors. I swear it helps me focus deeper and work more effectively. Why didn't I think of this before. Thank goodness for YouTube

All my recent study on alignment, neurological wiring and muscle action has left me feeling more at awe for what Callan developed for us. Callanetics does it right on all counts as far as I can tell. Oh yeah - real excitement here - for the first time ever I was able to lay flat on the floor when I finished with my arms lying comfortably next to my side. To understand the significance of that you need to understand that I have harbored so much tension in my body that when lying flat with my arms by my side they would steadily creep away from the side until they settled at about a 25 - 30 degree angle from my body. A couple sessions focusing closely on proper alignment and relaxing into the contractions has begun to pay off in a big way. The spiral pulses were easier today as well. Next time I think I'll try them with another movement. Now I really need to concentrate on loosening up these tight pectorals because they keep pulling my shoulders in.

LeaS, it gets to be much more challenging as you grow stronger and more refined. It never gets easy. That's one of the things I love about it.

Stardust. I admire your intensity. If your body and your schedule can deal with it then go for it! As far as Callanetics, remember the secret is to be gentle with yourself and learn to work with effortless relaxation. I know how crazy that sounds now, but in time you'll understand.

tufotufo, have you considered Callanetics AM/PM? There are videos on YouTube. She breaks it up into morning and evening sessions. You might want to check it out. Any time spent doing Callanetics will benefit you. If your goal is sculpting, aligning and toning you would be encouraged to find time for at least one full session a week.

Off to the store to get coffee beans. Happy pulsing all.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member
 
planetbenjamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Soho, London
Posts: 917
Gallery: planetbenjamin
I've been a bit quiet on here lately but I just finished an hour of Callanetics and it feels so good.
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 105
Gallery: marlenelet
Zula, the thing that is bugging me most is the bloated stomach. I had a bad case of bloated stomach after dinner yesterday because of a small slice of banana cake. I don't seem to be able to tolerate high carbs well. I took some ginger tea before bed and woke up this morning with a flat tummy. Just took my waist measurement and it is 26.5".....I dropped a whole inch just from ginger tea.

I could see shadows of my 4-pack and oblique. I look pretty good without the bloat. Darn....if only I could get rid of the bloat.

Any tips from anyone?
marlenelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8
Gallery: LeaS
Stats: 196/178/155
WOE: Paleo with occasional treats allowed
Start Date: July 2013
marlenelet, lots of people have said drinking organic apple cider vinegar with water (plus honey if desired) helps them. Since I don't care much for the taste of ACV (I have to hide it in cranberry juice) I started eating apples and they seem to cut down on my digestive problems. Maybe try eating an apple after any trouble food to see if it helps?
LeaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member
 
Amata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 46
Gallery: Amata
Stats: 5'3" getting to slim and healthy
WOE: Fewer and healthier calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenelet View Post
Zula, the thing that is bugging me most is the bloated stomach. I had a bad case of bloated stomach after dinner yesterday because of a small slice of banana cake. I don't seem to be able to tolerate high carbs well. I took some ginger tea before bed and woke up this morning with a flat tummy. Just took my waist measurement and it is 26.5".....I dropped a whole inch just from ginger tea.

I could see shadows of my 4-pack and oblique. I look pretty good without the bloat. Darn....if only I could get rid of the bloat.

Any tips from anyone?
Thanks first of all, for reminding me about ginger tea. It always helps, but I sometimes forget I have it available.
Maybe you have an allergy or intolerance you haven't discovered yet? Whenever I bloat, I conclude it's because of something I might like, but my body doesn't. I love apples, for example, but have to be careful about how many and what sort I eat, if I want to reap the benefits without the bloating.
Visualisation helps a lot too, though - letting all the tension/bloat flow down away through the legs, or evaporate and rediscovering the place inside where all is okay (and it's slim and healthy).
Monique
Amata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member
 
susanw53's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 963
Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amata View Post
Thanks first of all, for reminding me about ginger tea. It always helps, but I sometimes forget I have it available.
Maybe you have an allergy or intolerance you haven't discovered yet? Whenever I bloat, I conclude it's because of something I might like, but my body doesn't. I love apples, for example, but have to be careful about how many and what sort I eat, if I want to reap the benefits without the bloating.
Visualisation helps a lot too, though - letting all the tension/bloat flow down away through the legs, or evaporate and rediscovering the place inside where all is okay (and it's slim and healthy).
Monique
Monique, this post was beautiful. We underestimate the power of visualization, particularly when dealing with our bodies. One of the mantras my children grew up with was that your brain doesn't know the difference between reality and what you tell it - it will believe what you tell it 100% of the time. Take a moment and consider those implications. Another understanding my mother passed to me was that we crave food that we can't tolerate, so every physical distress not related to an injury should first be evaluated with "What did I eat before this started?" And "What changes have I made recently to my regular diet?" A wise place to start.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #55
Junior LCF Member
 
Amata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 46
Gallery: Amata
Stats: 5'3" getting to slim and healthy
WOE: Fewer and healthier calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Monique, this post was beautiful. We underestimate the power of visualization, particularly when dealing with our bodies. One of the mantras my children grew up with was that your brain doesn't know the difference between reality and what you tell it - it will believe what you tell it 100% of the time. Take a moment and consider those implications. Another understanding my mother passed to me was that we crave food that we can't tolerate, so every physical distress not related to an injury should first be evaluated with "What did I eat before this started?" And "What changes have I made recently to my regular diet?" A wise place to start.
Thanks Susan. The only truth is the inner truth, right?
After a bout of stomach flu or something like that, I have in the past used digestive enzymes (in pill form, but you can get powders over here too). And with success, just to get things back in balance quickly. For me they are "First Aid" I luckily rarely have to turn too. I daily eat a little plain yoghurt for "gut health" too. I forgot to mention the enzymes in the last post.

It's different for everyone of course, but what you eat and drink (and what you think about it) can be crucial to your health, I find, and also that one can tolerate so much more of everything where there is relaxation combined with confidence in yourself and in your body to respond positively.

By the way, I've enjoyed reading your posts and have found your results really inspiring, Susan. Thank you for all the time you spend here!
Monique
Amata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member
 
susanw53's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 963
Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amata View Post
Thanks Susan. The only truth is the inner truth, right?
It's different for everyone of course, but what you eat and drink (and what you think about it) can be crucial to your health, I find, and also that one can tolerate so much more of everything where there is relaxation combined with confidence in yourself and in your body to respond positively.

By the way, I've enjoyed reading your posts and have found your results really inspiring, Susan. Thank you for all the time you spend here!
Monique
You are so right Monique'. I have always been very cautious about thinking about food in any negative sense. When I became overweight I always owed up to my responsibility in overeating, avoiding blaming the food. I suspect an unhealthy fear or hatred of food and those silly things we say like "a minute on the lips and forever on the hips" never serve you well because your brain misinterprets your intention and it actually causes you to gain more weight than someone who sees food as simply tasty fuel. . In this same respect I have always tried to be happy with who I see in the mirror. Self hatred has no place in my loving world. Having lovely grandchildren who just see their loving Grandma helps to keep things in perspective. My family has always loved me unconditionally and my weight was never part of the formula. Honestly, we all assumed I'd eventually find my way back to Callanetics. Now that I have decided to grow thinner, stronger and more fit as I enter my 60s they are just thrilled for my choice but the love remains the same. I'm so thankful that my mother and grandparents taught me to love so freely.

I'm glad you enjoy my posts. I sometimes think I'm monopolizing the thread, but I am who I am and I find it difficult, if not impossible to reign in the joy Callanetics brings to my life. If a thread like this had been around 25 years ago I would probably have my own Callanetics studio by now. Maybe someday in the future.....
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England
Posts: 61
Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Hi everyone
I will catch up on the thread later but just recording my sessions for this week. Yesterday, I did my 2nd session and today I did my 3rd, both using Evo with added sitting spinal rotation and inner thigh squeeze.
Happy pulsing to all!
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 73
Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenelet View Post
Zula, the thing that is bugging me most is the bloated stomach. I had a bad case of bloated stomach after dinner yesterday because of a small slice of banana cake. I don't seem to be able to tolerate high carbs well. I took some ginger tea before bed and woke up this morning with a flat tummy. Just took my waist measurement and it is 26.5".....I dropped a whole inch just from ginger tea.

I could see shadows of my 4-pack and oblique. I look pretty good without the bloat. Darn....if only I could get rid of the bloat.

Any tips from anyone?
Is it just going on on your tummy? Or is it everywhere? For tummy only I swear by cinnamon (tea, tablet/capsule or in food) to reduce it and restore pH &micro organism balance after eating something which has disagreed with me.
Zula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 21
Gallery: Pease Pudding
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Sept 2009
Hi everyone - and newcomers - once you start reading this thread, it doesn't take long to join in!

Was very busy last week, so didn't do my first session till last night (had also done aqua aerobics earlier in the day). I am finding the sessions easier but never in a month of Sundays will I be able to fold my body over as they do in the stretches - don't think I ever managed it in gym sessions at school either - so I do what I can! They are my least favourite at the moment!

I know the abdominal exercises help with double chin(s) but do they go up through the face (is that one of the anatomy trains susanw53? - fascinating info you posted on this). I don't want to lose much off my face - I like the babyface I still have! - so if this is the case, I may have to reduce those exercises.

I haven't done any waist measuring yet - too early - plus I've lost my fabric tape measure. But the skin is firming so I am happy enough with that.

LeaS - re apple cider vinegar - I have taken this off and on first thing in the morning (yuk!) over the past few years, adding honey every time, which doesn't alter the taste one iota - but I keep adding it! Must try your idea of mixing ACV with cranberry! One thing I love putting honey on is greek yoghurt - have an obsession with it at the moment.

Happy pulsing everyone!

Pease
Pease Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member
 
Amata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 46
Gallery: Amata
Stats: 5'3" getting to slim and healthy
WOE: Fewer and healthier calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
You are so right Monique'. I have always been very cautious about thinking about food in any negative sense. When I became overweight I always owed up to my responsibility in overeating, avoiding blaming the food. I suspect an unhealthy fear or hatred of food and those silly things we say like "a minute on the lips and forever on the hips" never serve you well because your brain misinterprets your intention and it actually causes you to gain more weight than someone who sees food as simply tasty fuel. . In this same respect I have always tried to be happy with who I see in the mirror. Self hatred has no place in my loving world. Having lovely grandchildren who just see their loving Grandma helps to keep things in perspective. My family has always loved me unconditionally and my weight was never part of the formula. Honestly, we all assumed I'd eventually find my way back to Callanetics. Now that I have decided to grow thinner, stronger and more fit as I enter my 60s they are just thrilled for my choice but the love remains the same. I'm so thankful that my mother and grandparents taught me to love so freely.

I'm glad you enjoy my posts. I sometimes think I'm monopolizing the thread, but I am who I am and I find it difficult, if not impossible to reign in the joy Callanetics brings to my life. If a thread like this had been around 25 years ago I would probably have my own Callanetics studio by now. Maybe someday in the future.....
I so agree about the positive attitude and you can just feel it makes a difference. And why not work towards the own studio?
And the lovely thing about this thread, is that we're all contributing in one way or another, either in sympathizing thought or globally "chatting at the village well". Such a wealth of knowledge and experience we can all benefit from, so anyone can chip in who feels the need.

Cinnamon is great too, Marlenelet and Zula! Have you tried it in yoghurt?
Have a good weekend all,
Monique
Amata is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriendsģ is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.