Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerickson
Stats: 195/185.6/125?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2, 2014
Why is everyone so negative about exercise?

I have been told by people on the main board to stop exercising when stalled as well as when I have had trouble sleeping. I just have never heard in my 36 years of living that you should not exercise when you are losing weight. In fact all my doctors have told me that exercise is critical in the weight loss journey. If people lose the weight by dieting alone that's fine, but wouldn't they be more healthy all around if they exercised too? I just wonder why all the negativity about exercise?
jerickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
People aren't negative, you said you "exercise a lot", and many people suggested maybe you're overdoing it. Not to NOT exercise at all.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I think what most people have found here is it that exercise from a weight loss standpoint is not necessary, not to say it doesn't provide many health benefits. It does wonders for my my mental health and gives me a little muscle definition.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
you heard all your life that it's "calories in/calories out" too, right? lots of things aren't what we thought before.

exercise is wonderful for you, but there is a lot of evidence it messes with the hormones controlling appetite, metabolism, etc. If one thing is not working, try something else. I think this is the basis of the recommendation. not that it's NEVER good to exercise, but that at this particular time it might not be helping your weight loss. you do what you like of course! we all share opinions and tips and have to make our own paths through this stuff. good luck!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
It is definitely not a hindrance to exercise "too much." Doing hard efforts over long periods of time:
1. Causes water and glycogen retention within the muscles which causes weight gain and prevents a loss of size, so it seems like you're not losing fat
2. DIMINISHES INSULIN RESISTANCE, allowing you to be able to eat more carbohydrate and have it used for energy, not fat storage, AND it will not take you out of ketosis.

If you have a rest week after several months of hard efforts and training, for example for a marathon, you will lose LOTS of weight at once and it will stay off, and you will be able to handle more carbohydrates during the rest.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Exercise has many health, mental and aesthetic benefits but there isn't a strong correlation that it directly effects weight loss. I think that's what people mean when people say they are frustrated that they aren't losing weight even though they are working out like crazy. Too much exercise (I'm not sure how to determine this) , is not more effective than moderate exercise in relation to weight loss or health. Now if you are trying too improve performance or build larger muscles then you are speaking about a different goal.
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelle765
Stats: 240.2/194.0/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/19/2013
Getting smarter about exercise

I've been doing a lot of reading about the benefits of reducing or limiting cardio. I personally have a heart rate monitor, so I'll be using it to make sure I stay in the fat burning zone when I hit the treadmill/bike/elliptical.

I've also, starting today, gone back to heavy lifting at the gym. For the first time ever, I did squats today. Sissy ones to be sure, but squats just the same. I'm in this to get muscles and core stability, so am going to focus more on the big groups of muscles for now. In the past, it has helped. I was surprised by how much strength I'd retained after not seriously lifting for probably 15 yrs!
Michelle765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:34 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
I've been going to a weight loss doctor and he has a scale that not only measures my weight but breaks it down between muscle, fat, skeletal & water weight. This month I was depressed because I didn't loose any weight but when I got the print out he said that I had lost 3 pounds in fat but gained one pound in muscle!

So, even though you don't see you weight going down, know that the exercise is helping. And basically what I do is walk while lifting 5 lb. weights, squats & leg lifts. When I get bored with that, I turn on my favorite music and dance!
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:30 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I coukdn't exercise when I first started this journey in 2001. When I reached 320, I signed up for a swim class at the Y. A very gentle form of exercise. Eventually at 270, I was able to get down on the floor and up by myself. Wow! It felt great. But then due to work, I put all the formal exercising on hold and had no desire to do anymore. Yet my health continued to improve. Last year I started wearing a watch/pedometer and as a resukt, started walking more. That is my form of exercise. I walk 10,000 steps a day or more. I look for ways to walk. But it took me a long time to get to this point. The weight took care of itself by staying on my program. I didn't have to jmo on the scale for reinforcement. Today, life feels normal.

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Colin Dunn
Stats: 216/194/145
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Start Date: 05/27/2013
I've found I get the best results combining both an eating plan and exercise. Weight loss is slow for me unless I do both. Also, my sleeping patterns are better if I am getting regular exercise.

However, I'm not at risk of over-training. I get about an hour, 4-6 days per week.
Colin Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bobbyt
I think in general, people are negative about exercising because it is not something that you see results from right away. Just like some people are skeptical/negative about diets! If they don't see results right away, and it's a difficult, long process, then they automatically have a negative connotation tied with it. If it was easy, no one would have anything bad to say about it.
bobbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Gary Taubes says exercising to lose weight only causes more hunger and that the studies have not shown exercise helps with weight loss.

The paleo bloggers have put out there that chronic cardio or too much cardio (in other words, when overdone) is bad for body composition and health.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

But walking is good for anyone!
Old 10-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Studies are pretty clear that exercise doesn't add much, if any, benefit when you're talking purely about speeding up weight loss. That doesn't mean that it's not a healthy thing to do for many other reasons.

When you see people here saying that exercise won't help, we're almost always talking to someone who has posted a question about why they're not losing, should they increase exercise, and so on. It's not just a general "should I exercise" question.

I will argue that strength training is very important for overall health and fitness, for building and maintaining LBM, and even looking smaller at the same weight. But you will never hear me say that it's good for weight loss.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Agreed Ntombi. For me walking is like a meditation, I get to see the beautiful blue skies, colorful trees, great fall weather, no bugs and it releases lots of stress. I take my breaks and lunch away from the office no matter what, and that is a gift right there. Success isn't just the pounds lost on the scale, it is also about how you feel about yourself.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: One day at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Agreed Ntombi. For me walking is like a meditation, I get to see the beautiful blue skies, colorful trees, great fall weather, no bugs and it releases lots of stress. I take my breaks and lunch away from the office no matter what, and that is a gift right there. Success isn't just the pounds lost on the scale, it is also about how you feel about yourself.

I walk every evening just to clear my mind, connect with nature, stretch my muscles, fill my lungs with fresh air, get my heart pumping, and help with my circulation.

I don't assume the walking has any impact on my weight loss... I know that is dependent on my food intake.

Once I am closer to goal, I intend to work on building and shaping muscles. Again, not for weight LOSS, but to look better at whatever weight I am.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote