Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenelet View Post
I've come across counterpulls in the challenge threads. Can anyone help to explain the concept?
Let me give it a shot. The concept of counterpulls (now called counter extensions) are like imaginary cables that stretch through the major joints of the body and beyond into space. The image gives your brain something to hook onto to help it understand that you want to stretch out along those cables, extending your body's reach and creating a tension throughout the muscles as you pulse. All done as you stay relaxed and focused, of course. I like to imagine mine as a soft gold light, beautiful and strong. Callanetics is very much a mind/body experience and the addition of counter extensions is an easy and creative way to get even faster results and benefits.

The primary counter extensions run from sit bones through the crown of the head (think through the spine), from sit bones through the heels, through the shoulders, from outside edge of feet through the joint of the big toe (to assure you can always lift your toes because you aren't putting your weight on them) and from shoulder out through your middle fingers. Imagine yourself like one of those exploded parts diagram.

Keeping the counter extensions taunt as you pulse keeps your muscles long and lean with easy blood flow allowing oxygen in and removing toxins. Your brain enjoys the game and your muscles respond positively by tightening and toning more quickly than working with loose counter extensions. You are probably already using the one from sit bones through the crown when you follow Callan's advice to stretch up through the crown.

I hope I helped. If not I'll try to clarify later.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
10th hour of 10/10 completed. Woohoo....I feel like I've completed a major milestone!

To be honest, I was ready to give up when I first tried Callanetics because I was having problems executing to form, and of course, I could complete maybe like 10 - 15 reps of the 100 in the DVD. It's amazing how in 10 sessions how much I have improved in strength.

Susan, thank you for the explanation on the counterpulls. I get what it means now and I think I've been practicing it all along, except that Callan didn't give it a name in 10/10, so I've been wondering what counterpull was. I believe visualization helps. I couldn't do the pelvic rotations very well but you mentioned to visualize stirring a pot of soup and I did that yesterday and I was able to execute to form, in controlled motion and I kept myself raised low.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
Another 10/10 done which is 20 hours for August and 44 hours in total.

One more evo and one more super and I've hit my August goal! Feeling so motivated right now!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahviya View Post
Got in another session this morning. I won't be able to reach my goal. For the past two weeks I have been working 12 hour shifts and I am exhausted. Although I noticed I am more tired without dong callanetics. So I am a week away from the mini goal that I set for myself and I realized this morning I won't reach that goal either. But at least I can say that I gave it my best shot and set a new goal. Have a good one everyone.
Given the demands of your busy life I'm impressed with your devotion. Any time spent with Callanetics is a benefit to you. You did well. You're still here.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

First session for this week done. Longer, leaner, more contented. Yesterday I had to postpone for a doctor visit. Today my Rachel and I are going to see "The World's End" so I almost put it off again, then almost did an abbreviated one because of the time, but I resisted and pressed on for an entire session. The weekly weigh-in says down another pound. I feel great!

Happy pulsing all.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #217
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeaS
Stats: 196/178/155
WOE: Paleo with occasional treats allowed
Start Date: July 2013
Hi all

I recently found this board while searching to compare different exercise programs, was looking for something different and based off your boards decided to give Callanetics a chance. I was wondering if there is going to be a September challenge. I have really enjoyed reading all of your comments, progress notes & pictures!

Thanks ladies!

Lea.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #218
Junior LCF Member

Thought I'd just chime in with my first workout. Wow! I can super duper feel my tush muscles as I sit here in my chair. Hope I can walk tomorrow . I am impressed with the workout as it was very calming. I did not have any sense of dread for any of the exercises as I do with some others that I have experienced. I can definitely see myself coming back to it. I can feel all my core muscles under my belly fat, they're super tight. I know that a lot of people were complaining about not having a more updated video for this workout, but I think its great. I love her voice, I like the music (its not overbearing, its calming), I loved seeing everyone working out in a different color and moving together so calmly and in sync. Here goes my target: 1/10 by Sept 15 (my 32 bday ).
Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Well done Susan on fitting in your full workout! I think we are all programmed to struggle to take the time for ourselves so it's even more of a sense of accomplishment to achieve when we are pushed for time!

LeaS - welcome! I am sure there will be a September thread as I'm one of a few I'm sure will be continuing on next month. It's a nice way to keep track of targets, compare notes and ask any questions. Lots of us have gone through the same experiences and we have members like Susan who are very experienced with Callanetics and generous with their time in answering questions and queries. I also find Callanetics so very calming and relaxing. I'm delighted and amazed at the strength (especially core strength) its given me but I will say I would do it if the only benefits where the calm sense of centre, acceptance and relaxation it gives me. The only thing that Callan doesn't tell you, which you need to know, is that it's seriously addictive! Enjoy and cheris every moment!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #220
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Zula
Do you think 2 days in a row is OK or better to wait? I took some supplements and a hot shower last night after working out and I'm not feeling sore (maybe it'll hit me tomorrow? who knows!).
I wish I had done a before photo, but I have no one to take the picture for me unless I break out my tripod & remote control. I could swear I see definition that wasn't there before . Maybe I just have an active imagination. Maybe I don't. I should get out my tripod later!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

I did every day for the first 20 or so hours and I was fine with that. I think it's about listening to your body and knowing where you are in terms of your current fitness level. It's never worth working muscles which are sore. If you feel fine then 2 days in a row is no problem, if you are feeling it then best wait a day or two before seeing how you feel.

Now I've hit over 40 hours I'm moving to three times a week so I can mix it up with other exercises I didn't have the strength for before the Callanetics.

I really really noticed a difference after two goes at the 10 in 10 DVD, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if you noticed a change already! Just wait until you feel you have a muscular girdle on through your lower abs! That's been the change I've enjoyed the most so far!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaS View Post
Thanks Zula
Do you think 2 days in a row is OK or better to wait? I took some supplements and a hot shower last night after working out and I'm not feeling sore (maybe it'll hit me tomorrow? who knows!).
I wish I had done a before photo, but I have no one to take the picture for me unless I break out my tripod & remote control. I could swear I see definition that wasn't there before . Maybe I just have an active imagination. Maybe I don't. I should get out my tripod later!
LeaS. it's always exciting to have a newcomer to the group. This challenge has been going on a monthly basis for over 7 years I believe and we most definitely will have a new September challenge. I am one of many women who practiced Callanetics for a number of years and then let life get in the way and took over 15 years off, returning time and again sporadically. This year I turn 60 and I found myself uncomfortable about degenerating into an old woman so I forced myself to begin again this May. I rejoice every day that I finally returned to my favorite addiction and passion. Zula was not kidding about these lovely pulses being addictive. Brace yourself, it happens to most of us. With over 25 years of sporadic practice, including some short stints at teaching them, and with pre-retirement allowing me an unprecedented block of free time I have devoted myself to continuing my Callanetics journey and helping to inspire and motivate others to stick with this wonderful program. I can tell you that after just three months and just over 40 sessions I definitely look ten years younger but I feel and move at least twenty. Every day I look in the mirror I look younger. You've picked a winner.

Follow Zula's advice and listen to your own body. Everyone has their own rhythm and limitations. This is not a competition. I'm assuming you are enjoying the 10/10 video, my preferred jumping off point. There is a book by the same title, although out of print it is worth the hunt for the reference value alone since it is the basis for everything else Callanetics. These threads go back three years and are worth the time to mine them for additional info. This challenge thread is filled with caring and devoted practitioners who are free with their suggestions and motivation. Our goal is to keep you going, no matter what. Ask anything and someone has the answer you seek. Enjoy the journey.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #223
Senior LCF Member

11th hour of 10/10 completed.

I tried on a pair of old jeans yesterday just for fun, and hey, I could actually fit in!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #224
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome, Susan . I look forward to interacting with you guys on the boards. Its an inspiration to hear you say you feel 20 years younger, as age is nothing but a thing, how you feel is way more important!
Yes I started with the 10/10 video. I also have the advanced one when I choose to use it. I actually lurked on the forums for about a week, reading everyones experiences with Callanetics. Some of it I couldn't really fully grasp having not viewed or done Callanetics, so I will go back through them as time permits. I'll also look around at our used book stores and see if I can find the book, if not Amazon is easy .
Oh and... 2/10! Woot here I come Body didn't feel too sore. Although right now I feel like I can barely walk bc I have Jello for legs!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Super done, just evolution for me tomorrow then target hit!

Excellent news on the jeans Marlenelet

Last edited by Zula; 08-29-2013 at 02:31 AM..
Old 08-29-2013, 03:30 AM   #226
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pease Pudding
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Sept 2009
I am back from my break and really "wowed" by the progress everyone is making - and hello to the newbies

I managed to do most of the exercises without the DVD whilst away - probably about 2 sessions' worth. And the stomach exercises are indeed becoming easier, scoochy - I am up to 70 - 75 pulses - and they are in danger of becoming my favourites (I still have to do them with breaks though.) My legs are also becoming more shapely, particularly inner thigh from just above knee

Thanks for the explanation of the counterpulls, susanw53 - I had no idea that was what stretching up through the top of the head etc. was called -but I will try and visualise them all when doing my next session tomorrow.

I will of course not meet my target this month but the very fact that I intend continuing with Callanetics and incorporate it into my general fitness programme is good enough for me. I am so pleased I found this thread when I did

Pease
Old 08-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
marlenelet, YAHOO!!!!! I can still recall the thrill of fitting into old jeans after my first 10 sessions back in 1988. Well done! The thrills have only begun.

LeaS, those jello legs never really stop because you keep challenging yourself with new moves.

Zula, brilliant work! Your eye-on-the-ball mentality while dealing with fluid challenges is inspiring.

Welcome back Pease. We're glad you found us too. We Callanetics people have to stick together and keep each other going when life tries to get in the way. We deserve the time to center and sculpt ourselves so that we can deal with all the craziness with grace and style. And yes, Callanetics legs are beautifully sculpted. It's so much fun to watch it happen. Enjoy.

I just finished my regular Thursday session. You never really expect them to feel so much different and as you get deeper in they always surprise you. I've been playing around a lot this week with body twists and rotations. I think I've done at least two or three variations of the lower back stretch daily and played extensively with rhomboid push-ups and lots of shoulder work. Combined with my daily stretch of Feldenkraise motions geared towards Callanetics (thank you Sandra) I was able to get my foot to the floor during the Crossover on both sides. In the end it's all about the rotation around the spine (I was doing more of a roll). I just had to refresh my body's awareness of that fact. It feels soooooo incredible to rotate the leg over while the shoulders just stay right where they were. Try this one: Lie on one side, arms and legs stacked and bent at 90 degree angles to the front (like a modified semi fetal position). Take a deep breath and on the exhale gently rotate your upper body over towards your back until your arm rests like a goalpost, relaxed on the floor, without forcing and keeping your legs stacked and relaxed. When you can pull it off it is marvelous. I now finish up Stretches with this one, right after the Crossover. Sheer bliss!

Another tip from Sandra that changed my standing hamstring stretch in the warm-ups was to let the heels and the tailbone slide away from each other along their counter extension. I'd never thought of it that way before and suddenly my whole body just melted into position. I've also had surprising results thinking about the movements as contractions instead of stretches. Since muscles can only contract I've taken to thinking about what has to contract for each position. I was shocked at how much difference that made today.

I'm into rejuvenation mode and it's a bit contagious. My husband has started doing the daily Feldenkraise stretches with me and he's standing taller, walking with more confidence and sleeping more soundly. Next I need to entice him to try Callanetics. In time. All this time rotating the spine has begun toning my waist enough that I can feel the 'girdle' all the way around when I walk. It's so cool how the simple act of walking can continue to feel more and more interesting. Yeah, I'm addicted.

One more session on Saturday. Right on schedule. Happy pulsing all

Hey Susan, it's so wonderful to read that your husband is gaining such great benefits from the daily stretches They are a wonderful compliment to the Callanetics program and I hope everyone here will be able to see them and make them an integral part of their day as you have.

The premise behind them, well you already know this Susan but I'm going to mention anyway - is that we respond to stress daily and it has a very negative effect on our nervous and muscular system. Muscles in the mid section of the body and the entire trunk become so tight and contracted that it changes our alignment, shortens our waist, reduces our reach and leads us to a shuffling old person posture and walk.

This routine leads you gently through a sequence of stretches that enable you to reconnect the sensory motor system to bring back control. You start to become aware of muscles and groups of muscles that have become so contracted over the years that you are no longer aware they are contracted. When this happens it's impossible for you to relax them.

....and this is why I introduced them to my classes. Once my students regained control over their muscles they were able to relax more in to position and gained quicker and superior body sculpting with the Callanetics program.

So, my ladies come in 15 mins earlier to go through this sequence and then by the time they start Callanetics they're already lengthened out, supple and flow through the movements easier.

We LOVE them and I really hope you do also.

Happy PUlsing all and congratulations on your results this month.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #228
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kb910
Stats: current 166 Goal 120
WOE: Keto Zero Carb/ AdvoCare
Start Date: 11/2012
Did #13 of 10/10 this morning. Getting tired of my yoyo weight, not dieting, just weight. I have changed my lifestyle to be complete keto (no carb) even went so far as to limit my calories after it didnt work not limiting them. Still hasnt helped. It gets frustrating when I see others with as much weight to lose just drop lbs as soon as they start keto.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb910 View Post
Did #13 of 10/10 this morning. Getting tired of my yoyo weight, not dieting, just weight. I have changed my lifestyle to be complete keto (no carb) even went so far as to limit my calories after it didnt work not limiting them. Still hasnt helped. It gets frustrating when I see others with as much weight to lose just drop lbs as soon as they start keto.
I hear your frustration. At least you are continuing to tone and align with Callanetics. Eventually when your body catches on and begins to regulate your weight (keep believing) you are going to find some seriously healthy muscles under there. It's the tendency of the human body to heal.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Hi Sandrahanna. I've begun introducing a few of them to daughter Rachel as she requests. You have to be so low pressure with family since they have to live with your passion already. I try so hard not to be pushy but I can't and won't hide the excitement I have for Callanetics. Thankfully Rachel practices Callanetics as well and Dale loves the results I'm having.

Happy pulsing all.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Zula & Susan, I'm just happy that I don't have to go out and purchase a new pair of jeans after all! My current pair developed a big gash at the back and no longer wearable. I dread shopping for jeans because :
(1) The waist size is correct, but I couldn't get it up past my hips (2) or the jeans fit, but all I see is a droopy behind.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
And yes, Callanetics legs are beautifully sculpted. It's so much fun to watch it happen. Enjoy.
Does Callanetics work to sculpt the lower part of the legs too, i.e. the calves and soleus muscles? I really like the photo of Callan's legs she showed in 10/10 where she mentioned about 4 places touching. I can see my legs shaping up overall, but mine are O-shaped legs....it looks like a very mild form of bow-leggedness. I think it's pretty common among East Asians.

Just wondering whether the exercises in 10/10, or in any Callanetics DVDs can help shape the lower legs?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #233
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Zula & Susan, I'm just happy that I don't have to go out and purchase a new pair of jeans after all! My current pair developed a big gash at the back and no longer wearable. I dread shopping for jeans because :
(1) The waist size is correct, but I couldn't get it up past my hips (2) or the jeans fit, but all I see is a droopy behind.
I have the exact same problem!

I went today to try to find shorts, as we're planning to do some active things for this hot labor day weekend around other people (ie I wanted to look better than the things in my wardrobe that happen to fit) and came home sad, mad, empty handed and determined to do my Callanetics.

3/10 complete! If I go every day I'll have 20 by the 15th.
Not sure that results will be as good as if they were spaced out, but hey, I feel good, already feeling the difference walking. And I thought I saw leg definition that wasn't there before while shaving today.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Evolution done and my August target hit! I'm delighted!

I have other news which is both good and confusing! After 12 weeks of religious trying and losing no weight at all, in the last three days I've suddenly dropped 2lb! Feeling very excited I decided to measure myself to find that my measurements have increased quite significantly. I can't understand how I've lost weight, yet I'm bigger than I was! It just doesn't seem physically possible! All my measurements are up but the most simple ones are:

Bust - +1 inch to 39
Waist - +1.25 inches to 27.25
Hips - +1.5 inches to 35

What on earth is going on?? I am still swelling up, still bloating, still blocked up (on 50g of fibre a day!), still no nearer to getting answers health wise. I weigh less and measure more! Please someone tell me it's just my body mobilising fat to shift, that it's taking me a while because I've had a baby and been unwell?
Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
Evolution done and my August target hit! I'm delighted!

I have other news which is both good and confusing! After 12 weeks of religious trying and losing no weight at all, in the last three days I've suddenly dropped 2lb! Feeling very excited I decided to measure myself to find that my measurements have increased quite significantly. I can't understand how I've lost weight, yet I'm bigger than I was! It just doesn't seem physically possible! All my measurements are up but the most simple ones are:

Bust - +1 inch to 39
Waist - +1.25 inches to 27.25
Hips - +1.5 inches to 35

What on earth is going on?? I am still swelling up, still bloating, still blocked up (on 50g of fibre a day!), still no nearer to getting answers health wise. I weigh less and measure more! Please someone tell me it's just my body mobilising fat to shift, that it's taking me a while because I've had a baby and been unwell?
Take a deep breath Zula. It's likely a combination of all of the above. Your body is shifting as you tighten. When measurements change like this with Callanetics it's cause for celebration. The increase in bust size suggests a lifting and firming in the pectorals and the dramatic change in hips and waist are a combination of the shift as well as fluid imbalance. Keep a positive outlook, hold the image of the completed you firmly in your mind and press on. The tendency of the body is to heal and your body is no different in this respect. In the meantime remember that the results from Callanetics are continuing behind the chaos. You can't stop it from happening and sooner or later your body will fall into line. It will all work out in the end.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:45 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Does Callanetics work to sculpt the lower part of the legs too, i.e. the calves and soleus muscles? I really like the photo of Callan's legs she showed in 10/10 where she mentioned about 4 places touching. I can see my legs shaping up overall, but mine are O-shaped legs....it looks like a very mild form of bow-leggedness. I think it's pretty common among East Asians.

Just wondering whether the exercises in 10/10, or in any Callanetics DVDs can help shape the lower legs?
Yes, Callanetics will gently and beautifully sculpt the entire length of your legs. I promise.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168... 153(March)/???/~145 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Zula, that always happens when I'm about to have a big loss in measurements. Don't you worry.

----------------

Well, it seems 2.5 hours is all I'm going to get this month. But that's okay, my landlord is determined to fix the situations with my neighbours, even if it means kicking them out, and I'll be able to get a full nights sleep, and return and get back on track quickly. Unfortunately, I have lost weight in an unhealthy way (adrenals going 24 hours a day = not good), and I have lost half an inch off my arm and I had to pull my bra straps in by almost 2 inches (I think I need a new bra), yet all the places I regularly measure, haven't changed – I think I lost muscle too.

So there you have it. 2.5 hours of wonderful Callanetics. Better than 0 I'd say!

See you next month!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 176 hours (19/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 08-30-2013 at 02:54 PM..
Old 08-31-2013, 03:48 AM   #238
odo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: odo
Stats: 148
WOE: none
Start Date: 2003, 07/2013
Last session for this month in the bag . Only makes 2 sessions this week (hard week) but 17 sessions for the month

Today's session I did differently and slowed everything down REAL slow and only did 1/2 the reps for all the exercises but the session still took the same length of time. Oh boy did my muscles know they had been stretched and used!! I am going to go down this route for a while because it felt so good

See you all on the September challenge thread
Amanda
17 x 10/10
Old 08-31-2013, 04:01 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Zula, that always happens when I'm about to have a big loss in measurements. Don't you worry.

----------------

Well, it seems 2.5 hours is all I'm going to get this month. But that's okay, my landlord is determined to fix the situations with my neighbours, even if it means kicking them out, and I'll be able to get a full nights sleep, and return and get back on track quickly. Unfortunately, I have lost weight in an unhealthy way (adrenals going 24 hours a day = not good), and I have lost half an inch off my arm and I had to pull my bra straps in by almost 2 inches (I think I need a new bra), yet all the places I regularly measure, haven't changed – I think I lost muscle too.

So there you have it. 2.5 hours of wonderful Callanetics. Better than 0 I'd say!

See you next month!
There you are Jigglebuster I've missed you. Hopefully the situation with your neighbors resolves soon and you can create 'normal' again because we all know how valuable Callanetics is to our sense of balance. Hang in there. It will get better.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:23 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168... 153(March)/???/~145 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
There you are Jigglebuster I've missed you. Hopefully the situation with your neighbors resolves soon and you can create 'normal' again because we all know how valuable Callanetics is to our sense of balance. Hang in there. It will get better.
Yeah, I'm still around. Thanks. I have been doing a few stretches here and there, but not enough to say I've done my Callanetics.

It seems you have lost some more weight (is that 7 pounds now?) and are continuing to see results. Good for you Susan! That's great!
Closed Thread