Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
Completed my 2nd hour of 10/10 yesterday. Glad that there's no post exercise soreness, unlike the first time. I'm going off for a vacation this Thur, hopefully can sneak in one more session before I go.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
Did my first hour of the month, technically yesterday afternoon. I didn't get too many hours in last month, five I think. I am hoping to get in 10 at least. I can already tell that it's making a difference, at least in my strength. The exercises that were impossibly hard at first are a bit easier. I'm trying to pay more attention to calories and stick to moderately low carb. I'm avoiding the scale most of the time right now, because the scale is a lie lately. Callanetics and stair climbing has screwed around with my body composition.

One really cool and motivating thing I noticed: After I do an hour, the bit of fat that likes to hang around my chin looks reduced. I think I buy into the idea that Callanetics can help define your neck and jawline, which is AWESOME, because I need it.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hgrace
Stats: 311/288/180
WOE: Atkins
Thanks, Susan! I just ordered my DVD at Amazon, and I can't WAIT until it gets here! I'll be able to do the exercises in the middle of the night when my patients are sleeping! (I'm a sleep technologist.) I'm so excited!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
Welcome to all our newcomers!

I managed hour 3 of 10/10 for August (27 hours in total) yesterday and I'm about to tackle my first super today. Slightly complicated by the fact I'm hooked up to an ECG machine for the next 7 days, so it might be a case of trial and error as I'm a mass of wires!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
The pulse is so subtle (1/4 - 1/2") that most of us tend to pulse further, putting too much strain into the movement. Get a ruler and really look at how small 1/4" is. Try curling up just a bit less and make sure you remember to relax the shoulders and let the lower abs melt to the floor before pulsing. Eventually you will find yourself doing more pulses before you need the break, but take all the breaks you need to get all of the pulses in. It's not about speed. It's about control with relaxation. You're doing well. Laugh at your body when it protests, then get into position and have another go. That contraction you feel in the front of your neck is part of the wonder of these movements. The abdominals movements tighten everything from the pubis to the top of your head. They are the movements that thin the face and tighten the neck to give you that lean, youthful look. I consider them my favorites, along with the wonderful lower back cross-over stretch.

I hope my explanation helped. Happy pulsing
Thank you, susan. I tried the stomach exercises yesterday with a U-shaped nursing pillow supporting my back yesterday....I find that much easier to hold my position. When pulsing 1/4 - 1/2", is it normal to feel some contraction on the stomach muscles other than the neck? I've been guilty of doing too much too soon....had to stop when my stomach muscles start trembling. I think I might have been over-pulsing.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pease Pudding
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Sept 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahviya View Post
Can you explain this one too me. I have a metal ankle and just recently it has been causing me problems. I have been wearing my orthopedic boot to help with the pain. I can only do 5 pelvic rotations on each side then stop. Didn't dare try the pelvic scoop or thigh stretch. Would love any suggestions you can give me.
Hi Ahviya! I don't know whether this is officially called a thigh stretch but it seems to tone the thighs a bit and anything is better than nothing I always say . I have come across it at various exercise classes over the years.

Kneel upright and slowly let yourself lean back very, very gently, keeping body straight, just an inch or two - you should feel a pull on your thighs almost straight away as they take your weight. Best to hang on to something at the sides for stability/confidence to begin with. Having just done it, I realise I am also bracing with my toes and this might not be good for you. I am sure you have to be very, very careful with your ankle.

Even if I had no problems with sitting back on my heels, I think I would be very reluctant to do the leaning back arms full thigh stretch in Callanetics - I know my body's limitations! (I doubt if I could even have done that when I was a youngster!)

I am about to try the pelvic rotations today, in an upright kneeling position. If I can even get up to the 5 you are doing, I will be over the moon !

Pease

Last edited by Pease Pudding; 08-06-2013 at 02:31 AM..
Old 08-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

First super of the month! So that gets me up to 4.5 hours for August so far and 28.5 in total.

I can't wait to cross that 30 hour mark, although I am still suffering horrifically with water retention and I can't even have my salt baths with the electric kit on so I'm not sure my 30 hour measurements are going to be anything to write home about and will probably be bigger than my 20 hour measurements.

Those behind exercises on the super, wow! I am having to take breathers, the standing ones especially. I can feel all the small behind muscles on the standing leg kicking in to stabilise my pelvis whilst I attempt to work the lifted leg. The question is could this be the first exercise program ever (and I've tried a few) to successful help me to properly stabilise my mobile pelvis? I hope so! It's harder work on the standing leg than the lifted, so it's definitely working those little muscles!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cartzy
2nd hour of 10/10 completed this morning! I can feel a difference already! I'm enjoying getting my exercise completed in the early morning hours. I will continue with Callanetics M-F and on the weekends do something else. I'm hoping I can achieve the same body I did back when I was in high school doing these exercises religiously. I'm 44, 147 pounds as of this morning (good grief) and 5'2. I'll keep pulsing!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBacon View Post
yay 20 total workouts/hrs! and 1.5 for August... I'm slacking!
ok so here's a fun question lol....
tightening the behind.. is it squeezing like your bottom is going to explode and you have to rush to the bathroom? or like a kiegel exercise?
Kegel, honey, kegel. Ha ha!!!!

...with the extension downward of your tailbone.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

I did half of the dvd and it took me 40 minutes t do it. I had to stop because I had to get to work, but I'll try and get the second half done asap.

It's hard when I regress like this, but there's always a surprise in there somewhere, like for instance, I was doing my final stomach exercise with both legs up in the air, and around 50 I started shaking, and I got a little attitude thinking "Why can't I ever get through this without having to pause?" It was at that point I realised my legs had been straight the ENTIRE time! I usually can only keep them straight for about 20 pulses then I switch to bent knees. So that made me feel better.

Ahviya, Have you thought of doing the exercises you struggle with on a higher platform, like a bed with your feet hanging off? It should still help strengthen the muscles around your ankles and maybe you can slowly move your self fully onto the bed until it feels comfortable? You can do the thigh stretch with the traditional stand and pull one leg behind you, then the other.

Also, yes, we choose to be happy, just as we choose to be miserable.
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 193 hours (6/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Another session completed. I was so deprived from last week's forced hiatus that I couldn't wait another day!!! I'll probably get two more in before week's end.

Every time I get into the warm-up waist stretch I find myself thinking "Warm-up. Really???" I put so much into this stretch it's practically the most challenging of all. I have to constantly focus on keeping my weight balanced on both feet. I have a strong tendency to raise a bit off the leg opposite the stretch. When I went to get new shoes the other day I stood on one of those pads that illustrates where you're putting the pressure in your stance and sure enough I tend to place more weight on my right foot, particularly in the heel. The whole movement I'm repeating "Weight balanced, stretch out through the counterpulls, tighten, tilt, lift out of the pelvic, redistribute the weight, tighten, tilt, stretch out,....." It's a lot of focus going on there. Coming out I stretch all the way behind me, place my hand on that butt cheek and pull my shoulder back just a bit more for a complete counter stretch. Love that movement!

Ahviya, you can do the thigh stretch using a chair or other surface behind you that your hands can support your weight on. That way you get the extreme backwards stretch without as much pressure on your feet and ankles. I'm still working out a way to adapt the scoops.

Domino, the important thing to remember is you got sessions in last month and here you are still at it. Yes, Callanetics will restore your neck and jawline. I posted a couple pictures on the July Challenge thread of my own changes over my three month's practice.

Zula I'm sending you a steady stream of healthy and healing thoughts. Not many women would soldier on with an ECG attached to them. You are amazing! I adore those Super Hips and Behind movements! I always end feeling so incredibly strong and controlled. I'm finally strong enough that I don't hold on for dear life. I always envision the pictures in the book of Callan doing them so my body knows where to go.

Marlenelet, I'd bet you're doing the stomach exercises properly, although expect your form to evolve as you go on. You will feel it in your abdominals since they're doing all the work. The movement starts right under the breasts. You're not tightening your abs to do these movements, rather you are allowing them to gently contract just a little with each pulse as you work to keep the rest of your body calm and relaxed. Such fun! They've actually become my favorite part of the series. That's a far cry from when my favorite was squeezing the chair! Incidentally, most of us over pulse at one time or another. It's tied up in that idea that we have to work really hard to get results. Eventually we all come around to Callan's way of thinking.

Cartzy, it may take a while but I assure you that if you stick with Callanetics you will be amazed at the end results.

Jigglebuster, it's fun watching you get so thrilled over these accomplishments that keep sneaking up on you. Good work.

Thanks for indulging my long-winded posts. Happy pulsing all.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crazynanc
Stats: 148/144/113
WOE: JUDDD/FastFive/5:2
Start Date: November 2011
I know what you mean! By the time I get to the first stretches I'm already sweating and exhausted!

Finished 2/10! Woohoo!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Susan, that's a very clear explanation of the concept of pelvic floor engagement that I think even newbies like me can understand it. I spent a frustrating time searching on 'pelvic floor engagement' and there's no website that explains it like this.....I was starting to stress out whenever I hear Callan say 'tighten your behind'.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #74
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Quote:
yay 20 total workouts/hrs! and 1.5 for August... I'm slacking!
ok so here's a fun question lol....
tightening the behind.. is it squeezing like your bottom is going to explode and you have to rush to the bathroom? or like a kiegel exercise?
thank you so much Susan!!!!

just finished another hour! 21 total hours and 2.5 for August!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Susan I know what you mean! I often get to the stretch section and think STRETCH?? I find the pelvic rotations far too much like hard work to consider them stretches! In fact with the exception of the lower back stretch I think I find the stretch session the one I look forward to the least!

My 4th 10/10 completed this morning, together with the super I've done 5.5 hours for August and 29.5 hours in total. I'm not sure at the moment whether I'm going to measure tomorrow as I have diabolical water retention at the moment and I think my readings are going to be water related rather than callanetics related. I keep hoping when we get to the bottom of it all (dynamic cortisol test tomorrow morning, fingers crossed for something conclusive!) that I'm going to shed the water weight and look significantly better underneath!
Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahviya
Stats: 215
Start Date: May, 2013
Pease and Jigglebuster ~ THANK YOU BOTH

I used a queen Ann chair today and was able to get in 8 pelvic rotations and pelvic scoops I was so excited. For the thighs stretch, I laid on the floor and pulled my leg behind me (standing version only laying down). This way I didnt have to try and balance on my ankle.

Then for the fun of it, I did three. leg lifts without holding on to the bar. I was so excited. So my legs are slowly becoming feathers

Choose to be happy. Today is going to be a great day. Enjoy everyone.

Last edited by Ahviya; 08-07-2013 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
Susan I know what you mean! I often get to the stretch section and think STRETCH?? I find the pelvic rotations far too much like hard work to consider them stretches! In fact with the exception of the lower back stretch I think I find the stretch session the one I look forward to the least!

My 4th 10/10 completed this morning, together with the super I've done 5.5 hours for August and 29.5 hours in total. I'm not sure at the moment whether I'm going to measure tomorrow as I have diabolical water retention at the moment and I think my readings are going to be water related rather than callanetics related. I keep hoping when we get to the bottom of it all (dynamic cortisol test tomorrow morning, fingers crossed for something conclusive!) that I'm going to shed the water weight and look significantly better underneath!
Do yourself a favor and plan your next measurement time for after 40 sessions. That gives your doctor time to diagnose and treat whatever is going on.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I used a queen Ann chair today and was able to get in 8 pelvic rotations and pelvic scoops I was so excited. For the thighs stretch, I laid on the floor and pulled my leg behind me (standing version only laying down). This way I didnt have to try and balance on my ankle.

Then for the fun of it, I did three. leg lifts without holding on to the bar. I was so excited. So my legs are slowly becoming feathers

I like that adaptable spirit! You can't keep a good woman down. See? With Callanetics there is always some small cause for celebration in the midst of frustrations. I can still remember thinking "Feathers? Are you kidding me???" And now I'm always amazed as they lift off like they are almost weightless, especially the one extended and hovering just above the floor like it was the most natural thing in the world. I'm proud of you.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #79
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
For the thighs stretch, I laid on the floor and pulled my leg behind me (standing version only laying down). This way I didnt have to try and balance on my ankle.
Brilliant adaptation, Ahviya! Where there's a will...

I finished the 2nd half of my 1st hour yesterday evening and managed to do the pelvic rotations (in my Zumba class they are similar movements but standing with legs apart - and faster!). The scoops I managed without kneeling back. I am so pleased to be able to do them all with some adaptation.

I have already started to notice some subtle changes (I am in a swimsuit 3 x week for pool exercise, so nothing gets past me, good or bad!!) When I was only learning the movements last week, I was doing the inner thigh the full x 100 each time. Today I can see that it is already tightening - when I do a lunge and can see the inner side of the outstretched back leg (using a wall mirror, that is ), it is definitely firmer on both legs. I am soooooooo pleased

Looking forward to my next hour tomorrow - may do it all in one go!

Pease
Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #80
Junior LCF Member

Susanw53 - Thanks so much for your excellent pelvic floor engagement explanation. I was also misunderstanding Callan's instructions!

Pease
Old 08-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Oh good! I'm glad that helped. Now let's see what happens with that body of yours!
Old 08-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #82
odo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: odo
Stats: 148
WOE: none
Start Date: 2003, 07/2013
Bad day today

Rest Day yesterday, bad night sleep last night, got up so stiff and sore this morning and then did a stupid thing...I got on the scales.
I am not due to weigh in for a week. I have put on 2lbs!!! So to compound this, I got the measuring tape out
I have lost a little in the boob area where I definitely don't need to loose it and gained it around the belly and no movement anywhere else

I got myself so depressed I didn't do my cals this morning.
But as hubby said, the weight gain is probably muscle build up. And as Callan says in the book, don't panic, everything is just moving around. I guess I have that fear that by the end of doing 10x 10/10 I show no change.

But tonight I feel better, did my walk and my c5k and want to do my cals in the morning. I must be patient and continue for a week and then see where I am and have positive thoughts.

I am seriously thinking that a complete rest day is no good for me as I am sore in places where I didn't know I had muscles and even my joints ache. When I did cals daily, I didn't have this problem. I have 5 days to decided before my next rest day.

Amanda
5x 10/10
Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odo View Post
Bad day today

Rest Day yesterday, bad night sleep last night, got up so stiff and sore this morning and then did a stupid thing...I got on the scales.
I am not due to weigh in for a week. I have put on 2lbs!!! So to compound this, I got the measuring tape out
I have lost a little in the boob area where I definitely don't need to loose it and gained it around the belly and no movement anywhere else

I got myself so depressed I didn't do my cals this morning.
But as hubby said, the weight gain is probably muscle build up. And as Callan says in the book, don't panic, everything is just moving around. I guess I have that fear that by the end of doing 10x 10/10 I show no change.

But tonight I feel better, did my walk and my c5k and want to do my cals in the morning. I must be patient and continue for a week and then see where I am and have positive thoughts.

I am seriously thinking that a complete rest day is no good for me as I am sore in places where I didn't know I had muscles and even my joints ache. When I did cals daily, I didn't have this problem. I have 5 days to decided before my next rest day.

Amanda
5x 10/10
Amanda . Learn to be nicer to yourself from now on. Regardless of how things pan out in 5 sessions you owe it to yourself to stick it out. Changes accelerate as you get to 25-30 sessions and I wouldn't want you to miss out on the fun!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #84
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Quote:
thank you so much Susan!!!!

just finished another hour! 21 total hours and 2.5 for August!
yay 22 total hours and 3.5 for August! I have been doing it wth out the dvd and I notice my" counter pulls" are much stronger, I swear I see more results after every session now!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #85
odo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: odo
Stats: 148
WOE: none
Start Date: 2003, 07/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Amanda . Learn to be nicer to yourself from now on. Regardless of how things pan out in 5 sessions you owe it to yourself to stick it out. Changes accelerate as you get to 25-30 sessions and I wouldn't want you to miss out on the fun!
Thanks Susan. Did my cals this morning and feel soooo much better in myself.

Amanda
6x 10/10
Old 08-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
yay 22 total hours and 3.5 for August! I have been doing it wth out the dvd and I notice my" counter pulls" are much stronger, I swear I see more results after every session now!
I'm so glad to hear it. The DVD is an indispensable tool to learn the movements, but I've always believed that learning to work independent of it after you are comfortable with the routine activates a whole other bank of brain cells and creates a much stronger mind/body sense that acts to greatly enhance the experience as well as accelerate results.

Post #51 from the June thread was my explanation of how I've trained myself to use affirmations instead of numbers to count the repetitions. You might want to look it up. It took my Callanetics practice to another level.

Keep it up. Happy pulsing.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

I'm missing my session today as I had a reaction to the stuff they put into me this morning for my dynamic cortisol tests. Still not quite back to normal now!

Everyone is doing so well this month. We are on fire with our Callanetics!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Thursday session completed. I could feel the abdominal pulses tightening the muscles over my cheekbones! Afterwards I rolled around on the floor with my trusty tennis ball and succeeded in breaking up most of the remaining knots and tight spots in my back. What a relief! My back feels almost normal now. Just stronger and more toned. One of these days I'm going to look in the mirror and there won't be any more fat rolls left on my back. Every session brings me incrementally closer to my goals.

Jigglebuster, during the third floor stretch (legs together) I noticed that I now have that teardrop-shaped area where the fat is bunching up on the Vastus Lateralis. Let's see if mine migrates up the muscle like yours is doing.

Zula, hang in there. Better days are ahead.

Happy pulsing everyone.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Well I've bridged the 30 hour bracket today! I've done my 5th 10/10 this month getting me to 6.5 hours for August and 30.5 hours in total.

Going to take Susan's advice and not going to measure until I hit 40 hours in a couple of weeks time as I am suffering terribly still with water retention.

I can't wait to see what I look like underneath all this bloat and water. I feel stronger and taller each day I practice and I find it so calming and relaxing. I made the effort to really relax my facial muscles today and bring awareness to them, and I was surprised to find that I too can feel the muscles over my cheek bones tightening when I do the abdominal work! It's funny how you can think your completely relaxed (often to the point of almost falling asleep in my case on occasion!) but you can have tension blocking the full effects in the strangest of places!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:07 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Zula congrats on hitting your 30 hour point. Soon you will find a solution to the fluid imbalance and be amazed at what's hiding under all that! You can feel changes that can't yet be seen and the benefit of a peaceful and calm spirit is carrying you through this challenge. I'm so proud of you.
Closed Thread