Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #31
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I have a stupid question... If I can finish 10 in 10 in under an hour, is it still considered an hour???

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #32
odo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: odo
Stats: 148
WOE: none
Start Date: 2003, 07/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBacon View Post
I have a stupid question... If I can finish 10 in 10 in under an hour, is it still considered an hour???
I would say yes .
I would count it as a 1 session of 10.
I complete my in about an hour or just under and count it as 1 session.

Amanda
3x10/10callenetics
Old 08-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
If you finish in less than an hour you are working too fast. Challenge yourself -Try slowing down just a bit or try tweaking the movements into advanced or Super mode. If you work fast you are just doing what your muscles remember. If you slow down you can learn something new every time. Having said that, any time with Callanetics is counted. You could just call them sessions and don't worry about the time element. You're doing so well
Old 08-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

It's more challenging than I imagined to keep from doing Callanetics until Tuesday. My back is more relaxed every day so I know it's the right choice. I did get out to purchase new walking shoes today and next week I'm going back to walking along the river again. Just a little longer........

Happy pulsing all.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pease Pudding
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Sept 2009
Just coming up for air! I have been through the DVD about 3 times to get to know the exercises. Will start the challenge tomorrow .

My least favourite (as ever!) is any form of stomach exercise - so I will have to concentrate on these particularly! (Can't I just choose one out of the three? ) I love the behind and legs ones, most of them familiar from ballet classes years ago.

Unfortunately I found out a few months ago when trying out a Pilates class that I can't sit back on my heels anymore (shock! horror!). Somehow, when I wasn't looking, my ankles seem to have seized up (but I can still point my toes ). I could sit on a foam cushion but this would only 'accommodate' the problem - I would much rather try to get back my flexibility, little by little, so will be sitting on the floor a lot!

So I will skip the pelvic rotations for the moment (I do enough in my Zumba classes) but with thigh stretch I can do the version where you just kneel upright and gently lean back.

Overall happy with the challenge - I won't be doing 100 initially but will start at a more realistic 60 - I want to be able to move around the next day

Pease
Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Down another 1.2 lbs this week, even without Callanetics. This was a rough week of depravation, but my back thanks me and I didn't allow myself to eat in frustration because I knew I was going to have to report the damage here. This buddy system is working well for me.

I think I'm going to do a session today. It's been a week and I'm REALLY missing the stretches and muscle work. Tomorrow would be my regular day but we have a doctor visit across town at the same time I would normally be blissfully pulsing so I'm thinking today.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #37
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
If you finish in less than an hour you are working too fast. Challenge yourself -Try slowing down just a bit or try tweaking the movements into advanced or Super mode. If you work fast you are just doing what your muscles remember. If you slow down you can learn something new every time. Having said that, any time with Callanetics is counted. You could just call them sessions and don't worry about the time element. You're doing so well
well I'm thinking more along the lines of fa st forward through the talking and showing off the exercises... not so much just rushing through... I mean how many times I need to see midge show me how to do the stretches on a planter lol
Old 08-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
Excellent Susan! Congratulations on your weight loss. The less you weigh generally the less strain on back and joints to so it will help your back as well. I've been thinking about you and your tight rhomboids. I wonder whether it's worth incorporating some rhomboid stretches during your practice? Perhaps at strategic times such as after the under arm tighten-er to help keep your upper back loose before you more onto ab work etc? The other plan would be to start back one exercise at a time and keep adding in until you feel your back again and you know will know which needs form/adapting work for you?

I was planning on giving myself weekends off in August and concentrating my efforts monday-friday. That said I had Friday and Saturday off and I was desperate this morning so I've done my 2nd hour for August and my 26th hour in total. Feeling much looser and much stronger now!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #39
odo
Senior LCF Member

Session 4 done this morning I love getting up first in the morning and while the rest of the house is still in bed, do my hour of callenentics in peace and quiet. It allows me to almost meditate and listen to my muscles .

The butt exercises are coming along at last. 3 out of the 4 I can feel are working those butt cheeks The 4th one I think I am still over concentrating on getting the right position that I am too tense but it will come when I eventually relax (it is the kneeling one with bent knee - I am tense worrying about my knee (yet I have relaxed with the leg straight out to the side??)).

Congrats on the weight Susan Just take care with your back.

Pease - it took me 2 weeks of gradually build up the exercises to get to the point where I am now which is the full session

Amanda
4 x 10/10 for August
13.3miles walked for August (goal 90miles)
W1D1 of c5k challenge done

Last edited by odo; 08-04-2013 at 08:53 AM..
Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Finally got my session in!

It was really good, actually. Like I hadn't skipped a beat. I gave it all lots of thought during my forced hiatus and discovered that I had been pushing my muscles too far so this session I was particularly focused on finding my true optimal position, where I could work effectively but still keep everything calm. I always work for calmness in the rest of my body as I complete the pulses. I took your advice Zula and slipped in some sweet stretches for the rhomboids and trapezius muscles. It seems it was the abs movements that I was making the mistake on. I was bending my neck out of alignment instead of bending my head from the pivot point. I made it a point to be more conservative in the roll up and stay in alignment. After my follow up hot shower I climbed down on my rubber mat with a tennis ball and managed to get three fabulous releases in my muscles that gave me splendid relief. I had never really tried that before but I'll be sure to try it again. I'd say the tightness is about 90% reduced.

It's such a relief to feel complete again. I was beginning to feel pretty frantic myself. It is amazing how the body slips right back into form after a break. I always expect to be fumbling around and stiff but with Callanetics it's never like that. It just feels like coming home.

I started a study of the muscles during my break. Suddenly I want to understand the relationships shared by muscle groups and the proper way they are meant to move the bones around. I think I'll work my way through the Callanetics movements and note which muscle is contracting and the paired muscle being stretched by the action. I've been walking around with this muscle system for almost 60 years so I think it's time to really get to know it.

Queen Bacon, point taken. The filler stuff gets in the way sometimes. Have you ever tried doing Callanetics without the DVD? You may find it more challenging. Many of us find it more meditative.

Amanda it's so nice to watch you have so much fun fitting Callanetics into your life. Keep up the good work.

Happy pulsing everyone.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odo View Post
Session 4 done this morning I love getting up first in the morning and while the rest of the house is still in bed, do my hour of callenentics in peace and quiet. It allows me to almost meditate and listen to my muscles .

The butt exercises are coming along at last. 3 out of the 4 I can feel are working those butt cheeks The 4th one I think I am still over concentrating on getting the right position that I am too tense but it will come when I eventually relax (it is the kneeling one with bent knee - I am tense worrying about my knee (yet I have relaxed with the leg straight out to the side??)).
Which knee are you concerned with - the one raised or the one on the floor in front of you? Are you only raising it 3" from the floor? Eventually you will become incredibly strong and support will no longer be a concern. If you can be more specific I may be able to offer some solutions.

Susan
Old 08-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #42
odo
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Which knee are you concerned with - the one raised or the one on the floor in front of you? Are you only raising it 3" from the floor? Eventually you will become incredibly strong and support will no longer be a concern. If you can be more specific I may be able to offer some solutions.

Susan
It is the knee I am actually kneeling on (I have a cushion under as well).
I know it's a mental thing because I don't have the problem with the pelvic scoop or rotations or the other butt exercises.
I think it dates back to when I first started callenetics and made my knees as the excuse as to why the butt exercises were too hard... but no more .
I just need to relax and not think when I do them. I find I am thinking too much trying to feel if I am working my butt and end up tense my thigh on the leg I am knee on. It will come right soon enough, I just need to be patient and relax

Amanda
Old 08-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odo View Post
It is the knee I am actually kneeling on (I have a cushion under as well).
I know it's a mental thing because I don't have the problem with the pelvic scoop or rotations or the other butt exercises.
I think it dates back to when I first started callenetics and made my knees as the excuse as to why the butt exercises were too hard... but no more .
I just need to relax and not think when I do them. I find I am thinking too much trying to feel if I am working my butt and end up tense my thigh on the leg I am knee on. It will come right soon enough, I just need to be patient and relax

Amanda
How funny! For some reason I confused myself thinking about #1 where you're sitting on the floor. I don't do the kneeling ones since they bother my knees. I do the standing ones from the advanced section instead. No kneeling, more challenge, better results. You should try them. Take them slow until you master them. If need be break them into two-four sets. They are amazing!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlenelet
I have a question regarding Pelvic Floor engagement.

I think I know ( roughly ) how to feel the pelvic floor. When people talk about engaging the pelvic throughout the exercise, what does it really mean? Does that mean you have to keep it tightened and contracted throughout? I have the 10/10 DVD and Callan says "Tighten your behind"......and I read in another thread she actually meant the Pelvic Floor.

What I can't figure out is what engaging the pelvic floor is supposed to mean? Like contract and release the pelvic floor throughout.....or keep it tightened/ contracted throughout?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
when I first started I folded a pillow in half and propped it under the middle of my back... I did this for about the first ten hours, now I can do them with out....

ok I just did a turbo jam workout, and half of the 10 in 10 so that's 19 total workouts, and .5 for August!
let me tell you guys!! when you do another workout before callanetics it feels so much better and the stretches are double what they usually are! it's amazing!

Thank you QueenBacon....I never thought about that. I will try that in my next session.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Hello Amanda and susanw53, thank you for the encouragement! I guess I was trying too much too soon. I was shooting for 50 and was bummed by the end of the
2nd stomach exercise.

In the first few reps, I can feel the contraction in the stomach muscles while doing the stomach exercises. After the 15th rep or so....the contraction goes to the front of the neck.

I think I will shoot for a more modest 25 reps now.

Last edited by marlenelet; 08-05-2013 at 12:19 AM..
Old 08-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
Quote:
How funny! For some reason I confused myself thinking about #1 where you're sitting on the floor. I don't do the kneeling ones since they bother my knees. I do the standing ones from the advanced section instead. No kneeling, more challenge, better results. You should try them. Take them slow until you master them. If need be break them into two-four sets. They are amazing!
I would skip the kneeling ones and do the floor and standing ones if your knees are bothered. My knees are improving all the time and it will be something for you to come back to. I find the standing ones substantially harder than the kneeling so you might need to drop reps and do the standing. The day after I first did Super Callanetics (and the first time I had done the standing and kneeing behind exercise) I felt like I'd had a one-stitch-bum-lift the day before! I swear my behind was suddenly a whole inch higher my body made me ache during the adjustment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenelet View Post
I have a question regarding Pelvic Floor engagement.

I think I know ( roughly ) how to feel the pelvic floor. When people talk about engaging the pelvic throughout the exercise, what does it really mean? Does that mean you have to keep it tightened and contracted throughout? I have the 10/10 DVD and Callan says "Tighten your behind"......and I read in another thread she actually meant the Pelvic Floor.

What I can't figure out is what engaging the pelvic floor is supposed to mean? Like contract and release the pelvic floor throughout.....or keep it tightened/ contracted throughout?
I engage my pelvic floor and keep it engaged. When I can't hold it any longer is my cue to take a breather before resuming again. Callan repeatedly says to keep your behind tight, so I assume that I'm doing the right thing based on her instructions on the dvd?! It's working anyway, so as she says, if your seeing improvements you can't be doing it wrong.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahviya
Stats: 215
Start Date: May, 2013
Okay so I finally got in my first hour this month :yeah: I went to a celebration on Saturday night and I was excited as I had lost some inches in my thighs and though a certain dress I have would look great. No, my thights looked somewhat pointy and my pouch looked like I stole it from Santa and needless to say, I found an old frock to wear.

Started this month with a little challenge. The metal in my ankle has been giving me trouble and I have been wearing my orthopedic walking boot to help with the pain. I was unable to complete the pelvic rotations. I got through 5 on each side before it hurt too much to be on my foot like that. I just skipped the pelvic scoop. Keeping what Callan says do only what you can. I finished the hour with some modifications. Like the quadricep stretch. I opted to put my leg on my bar and feel the stretch. This was gentle and did not hurt my ankle.

So far since May, I have 32 hours in (not including today). Any suggestions? I know my doctor will tell me to have surgery again to replace the metal due to damaging it a few times. Not ready to have surgery again. That is what got me overweight to begin with. Sitting a sedentary lifestyle for 6 months.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cartzy
So I didn't fulfill my 5-6 last month so starting again this month. Hour 1 completed this morning!

ETA: What other exercises will you be doing with Callanetics? I'm thinking of rotating between Callanetics and P57 but will do Callanetics only for the first few weeks to get myself back into it solidly. I may incorporate weight training at the gym but my body is so sensitive anymore that doing real strenuous workouts leaves me unable to move properly for a long time. I guess I'm at that point where I need more gentle workouts.

Last edited by Cartzy; 08-05-2013 at 04:48 AM..
Old 08-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenelet View Post
Hello Amanda and susanw53, thank you for the encouragement! I guess I was trying too much too soon. I was shooting for 50 and was bummed by the end of the
2nd stomach exercise.

In the first few reps, I can feel the contraction in the stomach muscles while doing the stomach exercises. After the 15th rep or so....the contraction goes to the front of the neck.

I think I will shoot for a more modest 25 reps now.
The pulse is so subtle (1/4 - 1/2") that most of us tend to pulse further, putting too much strain into the movement. Get a ruler and really look at how small 1/4" is. Try curling up just a bit less and make sure you remember to relax the shoulders and let the lower abs melt to the floor before pulsing. Eventually you will find yourself doing more pulses before you need the break, but take all the breaks you need to get all of the pulses in. It's not about speed. It's about control with relaxation. You're doing well. Laugh at your body when it protests, then get into position and have another go. That contraction you feel in the front of your neck is part of the wonder of these movements. The abdominals movements tighten everything from the pubis to the top of your head. They are the movements that thin the face and tighten the neck to give you that lean, youthful look. I consider them my favorites, along with the wonderful lower back cross-over stretch.

I hope my explanation helped. Happy pulsing
Old 08-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/?/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
I have been MIA this past few days, here and in my life. My neighbour has kept me up for days on in and my narcolepsy has been off the scales, therefore no energy to do anything beyond walk.

I was woken at 5:00 this morning, and since I actually got 6 hours sleep for a change, I felt like I could do an hour.

My body has regressed once again. Even with the fascia trick, I am tight and weak. As an example, my lower back stretch is about 6" higher (I was almost to the floor just the other day), and can't do more than 25 stomach exercises with my leg straight.

Oh well, it'll come back.

Thanks everyone for your thought for my niece. It's appreciated.
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 184 hours (8/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crazynanc
Stats: 148/144/113
WOE: JUDDD/FastFive/5:2
Start Date: November 2011
1 out of 10 hours completed! Hopefully hour 2 will be done tonight!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Jigglebuster .
Life is like that sometimes and we plug on. Before you know it you will be back in form.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Liberty'93
Hi..I'm new!!

Hi all,

I'm new to this site, but have been familiar with callanetics in the (coughs loudly) the 80's.
I love the programme and boy does it work! So much so that I have recently enrolled to become a callanetics certified teacher, whey hey!! So watch this space.
I did the AM/PM DVD this morning and try to do each day. Sometimes I do find it more sustainable than the full 1 hour and I have more chance of doing it each day, rather than 1 or 2 one hours weekly!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty'93 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to this site, but have been familiar with callanetics in the (coughs loudly) the 80's.
I love the programme and boy does it work! So much so that I have recently enrolled to become a callanetics certified teacher, whey hey!! So watch this space.
I did the AM/PM DVD this morning and try to do each day. Sometimes I do find it more sustainable than the full 1 hour and I have more chance of doing it each day, rather than 1 or 2 one hours weekly!

Liberty'93. Good to have you on the thread. We look forward to your input and insights as you work towards certification. I've been doing Callanetics on and off since July of '88 (unfortunately for my body more often off than on) and have determined to make it a lifelong commitment from this point on. I've been a passionate advocate for these gentle pulses the entire time. Yes they do work. That's a great career choice you've made.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #56
odo
Senior LCF Member

+1 hour session this morning.

Rest day tomorrow so I will spend the time re-reading my callenetics book just to make sure I am still doing the exercises right.
I will also check out the butt exercises from the super (the standing ones).
I am a bit tired tonight so I will have a read of all these posts tomorrow. WOW the page has been busy!

Amanda
5 x 10/10 for August
Old 08-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahviya
Stats: 215
Start Date: May, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pease Pudding View Post

So I will skip the pelvic rotations for the moment (I do enough in my Zumba classes) but with thigh stretch I can do the version where you just kneel upright and gently lean.
Pease
Can you explain this one too me. I have a metal ankle and just recently it has been causing me problems. I have been wearing my orthopedic boot to help with the pain. I can only do 5 pelvic rotations on each side then stop. Didn't dare try the pelvic scoop or thigh stretch. Would love any suggestions you can give me.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hgrace
Stats: 311/288/180
WOE: Atkins
I'm still a newby here at LC friends and would like to do the Callanetics challenge with y'all. I'm currently using snippets of youtube videos to get started. Could someone please let me know what 10/10 is?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrace View Post
I'm still a newby here at LC friends and would like to do the Callanetics challenge with y'all. I'm currently using snippets of youtube videos to get started. Could someone please let me know what 10/10 is?
hgrace. 10/10 is our way of referring to Callan Pinckney's original publication "Callanetics: 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours". You can purchase a DVD ($15.95 today on Amazon) by the same title that is a modification of the original series formatted to fit into an hour of practice. I learned the series from the book back in 1988. It's out of print now but you can sometimes find used copies at Amazon or in used book stores. Do yourself a favor and get a DVD at least. Those snippets from the Internet are a teaser. You deserve the main course.

Susan
Old 08-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #60
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

yay 20 total workouts/hrs! and 1.5 for August... I'm slacking!
ok so here's a fun question lol....
tightening the behind.. is it squeezing like your bottom is going to explode and you have to rush to the bathroom? or like a kiegel exercise?
Closed Thread