Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Manny
I want to lose muscle and weight

I know. Very strange title,I am a 220lb male who carries a lot of lean mass and quite a bit of fat on my body.

Every person I talk to says that if you really want to move the scale down to your ideal weight I need to lose a great amount of muscle and then once I reach my ultimate weight which is roughly 185-190 then I can build upwards.

Suggestion was made today that besides measuring inches your weight might not change very much because of weightlifting you are packing on muscle.

I know most of you think okay what's wrong with that?Well I work in a corporate environment and being buff is not cool,it doesn't work,I shave my head and I am a big guy,not a good mix.

Furthermore,I need your help.

Should I just go in and do cardio 5 days a week?i recently had a déxascan scan done and the results were that my lean mass is high however still carry a high percentage of fat.

I really want to become a smaller person,I am very strong,like power lifter strong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
My husband was (pre my making him apple crumble and custard the first time, it's gone downhill since!) buff in a corporate environment. A tailored suit can make the world of difference instantly to your outward appearance.

Cardio will lean you out, however you want to retain strength and substance and just reduce 'baulk' so I seriously suggest you consider an activity which encourages lean strength by including a lot of stretching. Very very effective options are Callanetics, Pilates, yoga and mixes of the three. Martial arts will also work wonders for leaning you out but keeping you strong. You will look smaller faster if you stretch and work your muscles than if you dont. I would consider 3x cardio and 2x leaning exercise/martial arts class per week and see how you go.
Zula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
my lean mass is high however still carry a high percentage of fat.
My DH works in a corporate environment and they've recently recruited x2 male fitness models (not for that reason) so I'd second the suggestion of a well-cut suit and appropriate shirt collar style and choice of tie knot. (Of course, I'm in the UK, so I've no idea if the perception is different elsewhere.)

tbh, I'd be quite concerned about you shedding lbm in the context of 'high' body fat because your muscle will be contributing to your insulin sensitivity and other useful metabolic advantages for your health. Of course, much may depend on what you consider to be 'high' BF%
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Hello. I am a big and tall guy too. For years ive tried to get leaner/slimmer/smaller but was going about it the wrong way. Your main focus needs to be high intensity cardio. I know thats a word most of us guys dont like but if u really wanna slim yourself down that has to be your #1 priority...... CARDIO! I would not even look at a set of weights until im down to where I would want to be.

The cardio will burn the fat and yes even take some muscle away. Believe me I tried doing both together for a long time (cardio somedays and dumbbells the others) the lifting always won out and I'd always gain weight....even though I was just gaining muscle; I also retained water which isnt good if ur really wanting to see the scale go down and u want to trim down and slim down. Cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio is the way to go. Do it as often as you can as long as you can.

Again, this is just what has worked for me.

Last edited by NewestAtkinsFan; 07-27-2013 at 08:44 AM..
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I second the cardio. But lets not forget the lc woe.
Nothing takes the fat off like lc and cardio will aid in some loss of bulk as well.
yes, this is odd. Most men....I mean by far most men want to add muscle.
But if you are 'power lifter strong' as you say, I can understand wanting to trim down.
You'll be walking the runway in no time LOL
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
Most overweight people carry more lean muscle than thin people.. how else are you going to cart around that extra weight?

I'll bet though if you pealed the fat away and loss no lean mass that you wouldn't be as "thick" as you might think you are.... You have to be a real maniacal body builder to not look "natural" in casual business clothes.

I will tell you from my experience that I do high intensity cardio interval training 5 days per week. MWF is 60 minutes, and T-TH is 35 minutes with weights. I have steadily and consistantly lost 2 pounds per week for the last 25 weeks. Consistant heavy exercise has allowed to be avoid stalls, become more physically fit, lower by blood pressure, and "cheat" here and there and not be too worried about it. Keep in mind that I stay low carb and I'm also conscious of my caloric intake.

If you just want to see the scale move... don't exercise at all... it will probably move faster... contrary to what you might think.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
I can tell you from personal experience that I lost a lot of muscle mass when doing heavy cardio and no strength training.
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: natosha120
hi is that true if one didn't workout you could prob lose weight.. i keep feeling my legs getting bigger musclar and i want to shrink that.. but keep metab up but not sure what to do? maybe cause i do too much cardio and running jumping light on arm weights not much but i was doing tons jumping jacks and squats now i lowered to just running but is that the thing am i not expected to work out while eating low carb to get it moving down on the scale>?
natosha120 is offline   Reply With Quote