LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Exercuse and Appitite

So one isn't supposed to eat closer then 30 minutes before exercise... I hate eating before, but after my appitite is shot.. I'm so not hungry after exercise!!!! anyone else feel this way?

EXERCISE AND APPITITE! (my spelling stunk lol)
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I know.. you're supposed to eat within 30 min after exercising to restore your glycogen supplies, especially after an endurance activity.. after biking for 3+ hours, there is no way I can eat, especially in the heat! I don't know how necessary it is to eat a lot when you're in ketosis... I find that when I'm doing a long workout, I have to eat every 2 hours (nuts or cheese or some low carb sandwich) or I get hungry, but I don't bonk... it's great having ketones available and using fats for energy!
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 16 2013
Same here - exercise kills my appetite as well - that's another reason why I like to go biking
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: westside
Stats: Start 199/186/175
Start Date: 2/17/12
I've always followed the protocol just to eat no more than 20 minutes before exercise or at least 2-3 hours before. It takes about 20 minutes for the insulin response to be activated. I don't know if 20 minutes is hard in fact for everyone but if the insulin response goes off, fat burning will be turned off for a while and you will use glycogen/glucose and your blood lactate will rise. You will lose CHO stores which might mean something if your body want's to use CHO and fat in conjunction. So the protocol is eat 2-3 hours before or no more than 20 minutes before(100 cals, maybe liquid, a banana). Running in the morning, nothing, but I'll might carry some calories if I'm going out for some time, that's more typical for me

I'm not hungry either after a longish run but I might if I felt the need to replace glycogen, I would buy a pint of chocolate milk right after a run and maybe eat something an hour or two later.

I think it's something you need to figure out for yourself. Trial and error, how hard are my workouts from day to day, etc...How do I feel if I eat this...then do this workout tommorow. takes a little bit of time to figure out., I don't think what you eat during your workout or just after, makes a lot of difference with weight loss. jmo

Last edited by westside; 07-25-2013 at 09:54 PM..
westside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I've never been convinced or read any proof that ketosis can only take place when the body is totally deprived of CHO. I think it's a given that your body will manufacture glucose from it's stores in the absence of CHO when your bodily functions require it, like your brain. So if your body is use to using ketones for energy, I'm not so sure that the presence of some limited amount of CHO through diet is going to turn this off. I could be wrong but I have seen anything about this. From the way the body and brain works, I'll bet it's not black or white. What I'd like to know is that can you store glycogen, some amount, in your muscles and still use ketones for energy.

Last edited by westside; 07-25-2013 at 10:17 PM..
Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
The routine that I've settled on over the past 6 months is to eat 2/3 of my lunch around noon, then the other 1/3 around 3:00PM. I then hit the gym at about 5:30-6:00PM for 60 minutes of interval cardio training.

I drink 2-3 liters of water during the day, 1 liter while exercising, and 1 liter afterwards. I have little appetite in the evening so I eat a very small "dinner." This has helped my weight loss remain constant and steady.

For me having the majority of my caloric intake between 7:00AM and 3:00PM works best...
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:00 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I believe that if you are already ketoadapted and your liver is in gluconeogenesis mode, when you do work, your muscles will get priority over your brain for whatever glucose is available, and this will keep your liver producing glucose from fat. So if you are doing enough work, you might stay in ketosis even with additional carbs. I'm guessing that the number of carbs a body is able to tolerate before switching to lipolysis varies a great deal and it's something that has to be experimented with for each individual, but to play it safe, it's probably best to stay LC if you do have a lot of insulin resistance and tend to run out of fuel or bonk/hit the wall when you eat carbs for or during a workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside View Post
I've never been convinced or read any proof that ketosis can only take place when the body is totally deprived of CHO. I think it's a given that your body will manufacture glucose from it's stores in the absence of CHO when your bodily functions require it, like your brain. So if your body is use to using ketones for energy, I'm not so sure that the presence of some limited amount of CHO through diet is going to turn this off. I could be wrong but I have seen anything about this. From the way the body and brain works, I'll bet it's not black or white. What I'd like to know is that can you store glycogen, some amount, in your muscles and still use ketones for energy.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I guess what I'm asking is lipolysis and ketosis exclusive of each other. Do both go on at the same time? I've never seen absolutes when it come to energy production. If I read literaohyratture that proposes a ketgenic diet or a carbohydrate diet it seems to be in terms of this to get this. Most diet books seem to be written in the nature of see Jack and Jill run up the Hill, if you know what I mean. There is much science backing the true nature of energy systems.

Last edited by westside; 07-31-2013 at 11:32 PM..
Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creseis View Post
I believe that if you are already ketoadapted and your liver is in gluconeogenesis mode, when you do work, your muscles will get priority over your brain for whatever glucose is available, and this will keep your liver producing glucose from fat. .
When push comes to shove, I think your brain says, No No...I want the glucose or give me the ketones, screw the muscles. I'm almost sure of that.

Last edited by westside; 07-31-2013 at 11:48 PM..
Old 08-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

No animal has ever been documented in the literature to be able to have a liver that performs both gluconeogenesis and lipolysis at the same time, because the chemistry setup is different. One or the other.