Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMO View Post
Busy day. Already over 15000 steps.

Karen sorry DH team lost. Sunny is gorgeous. Did you get moving today?

Deb glad the foot is better. Gonna skip Thurs. classes?

Labmini that sounds like a nice style of yoga.
Yesterday I didn't get in but 10 minutes on motorcycle (running errands) and chasing/packing GS around the courtyard while DD20 was at "County Fair Queen Contest"

So I am going to take 20 minutes for that.......

Now on a Friday, and I am going to do something, but also passed on Morning Coffee...
iakaren is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CJMO
WOE: My way mixing it low carb
Well talk of The Firm reminde me I have some of those. Too intense for me now. But I did find a 10 minute express firm on YouTube and just did that with no weights or explosive moves. We shall see how my body does.

Karen you did Something and that's the name of the game.
CJMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have 10000+ steps in
Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My legs are sore from my Firm workout
Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #35
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
planning my week
tomorrow im doing a juice fast

monday--group RX class
Tuesday--run followed by a walk with my office manager
Wed--Yoga--walk
Thursday--group RX class

Friday/sat/sunday spending 3 days at the lake-house in the camper to get some work done on the house..my tenant will be out of town.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Friday I got in 20 minutes horseback.

Saturday, just walking around and doing chores.......probably better not claim any, cause I looked at the horse, and decided not to ride tonight.......
Old 07-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like a well rounded work out week Deb. I'm still sore in my thighs. I took LD for 2 walks. 11000 + steps today. I read a good article on another I will try to post.

How bad is sitting?

Growing evidence suggests that inactivity is a cause of obesity, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and other metabolic diseases. This is the case even for those who meet general exercise guidelines, meaning exercising for an hour 3-5 times per week may not offset the negative health effects of being sedentary the rest of the day. In addition, sitting or being sedentary appears to still cause these issues when individuals follow a good nutrition plan.

Decreased Insulin Sensitivity
Just one day of sitting has been shown to result in a 39% reduction in insulin action, which means the body must produce more insulin than normal to keep blood sugar levels steady. As insulin levels rise, the storage of fat increases and reliance on carbohydrate increases. As the body becomes more of a sugar-burner, triglycerides also increase. Without activity, the body isn’t able to clear triglycerides from the blood as well. Since the muscular system is not challenged with movement, it has no use for the triglycerides floating around in the blood stream.[2]

Altering of Genes
Bed rest studies closely resemble the levels of activity in those who are sedentary. Bed rest has been shown to alter more than 4500 genes and 34 metabolic pathways that determine how well the body’s cells function! To me, this was one of the most amazing statistics in the dozen research articles I read for this blog post. 4500 genes get altered by being sedentary! If genetics play a role in our health, it may very well be a result of what we do to our genes, not what our genes do to us.

Increased Abdominal Fat
Abdominal fat, or visceral fat, increases with inactivity, even when calorie intake is controlled, showing that fat can accumulate outside the “calorie balance” paradigm. It appears this increase in fat mass takes place as a result of increased fat cell numbers rather than increased fat cell size. This also tells us that good nutrition alone may not prevent the development of inflammatory belly fat.

Decreased Fat Burning | Increased Carbohydrate Burning
Fuel utilization shifts to carbohydrates while at rest rather than fat. This also takes place even if calorie intake is limited. Though low-intensity activity like long-duration cardio favors fat utilization, inactivity or being sedentary shifts the body away from using fat and toward the use of carbohydrate, likely as a result of rising insulin levels.
Defying the Logic of Calories In, Calories Out

Rats can voluntarily run up to 20 km per day when provided a wheel to run on. When the wheel is locked, preventing them from running, they see a dramatic increase in fat storage in just 3-4 days. Calories in, calories out advocates would be quick to suggest the fat gain is a result of the rats continuing to eat the same volume of food while significantly reducing their activity levels, resulting in an excessive energy balance. Interestingly, researchers also looked at the effects of limiting rats activity level and then reduced their food intake at the same time to eliminate the chance they’d eat too much. The results in fat gain were exactly the same! It’s another example of why fat loss and fat gain is not just a result of calorie balance, but is more a result of the body’s hormonal environment and how it affects the ability to manage fat and carbohydrate.

A similar study was done on healthy young men. These men averaged at least 10,000 steps per day prior to their study, and then had their activity level reduced to just 1500 steps per day for two weeks. The men lost body weight, so they weren’t eating excessive amounts of food. However, they experienced an average 7% increase in visceral fat, a reduction in insulin sensitivity and they responded worse to glucose and fat tolerance tests. Cardiovascular function (VO2 Max) was also reduced by 7% and leg muscle mass was reduced by 2.8%. Again, these changes occurred in just two weeks! Imagine the impact a new job with a lot of desk time has over a period of months. It’s no wonder so many white collar workers experience such dramatic changes in the condition of their bodies.

As the study authors explained, “Reduced insulin sensitivity leads to larger insulin responses and in some cases larger glucose responses after every meal. Insulin promotes lipid synthesis (fat storage), and therefore, elevated insulin responses following each meal could promote greater fat deposition in adipose.” The bottom line is, people don’t become fatter because they’re burning fewer calories by being sedentary. They get fatter because they actually change, or disrupt, the health of their metabolism.[3]
Movement is not Exercise

Those who are avid fitness enthusiasts may assume that moving more means “exercising” more. In fact, those who exercise more tend to spend more time sitting the rest of their day than those who don’t exercise. Think of exercise as what you do for an hour to optimize your health. Movement is what you do throughout the day just to maintain basic metabolic health.

Movement can be an easy walk following a meal, which has been shown to reduce glucose levels following a meal. Lower glucose levels mean improved fat burning. Researchers found that by having people walk for just 15 minutes following a meal, it reduced the glucose effects the meal. The study participants weren’t moving too fast during the 15 minutes, either.[4]

Exercise is a planned, focused, higher-intensity period of activity. For most people, it occupies an hour of their time three to five days per week. Movement occurs during the remaining 23 hours of the day that aren’t taken up with sleep. As I wrote about previously, I didn’t realize how little I moved myself until I started measuring it. It was a great wake-up call for me even though I don’t miss more than a workout or two each year.
Measuring Movement

Outside of exercise, the most common way we move is by walking. Counting steps is the most universal way of measuring movement, and a variety of pedometers and activity monitors help to measure the number of steps individuals take each day. Researchers have identified general levels of activity according to the table below.[5]

Walking 10,000 steps per day has been shown to be an effective means of reducing blood pressure. However, those most likely to be impacted by high blood pressure fall quite short of the 10,000 step per day target. Adults 65 and older averaged just 6565 steps per day, putting them at a “low active” level of activity.

Women exceeding 7500 steps/day had a 50% less chance of depression than those taking less than 5000 steps per day. Men who exceeded 12,500 steps had a 50% less chance of developing depression than those at less than 5000 steps per day.[6]

If you remember from the beginning of the article, our perception of how active we are is quite different than our reality. The best way to know you’re getting in enough steps is to wear an activity monitor, at least until your habits change. Studies using 10,000 steps per day as a target, and using an activity monitor to track daily steps, have been the most effective means of increasing activity levels of participants. We chose to offer Fitbits at Life Time for a variety of reasons I won’t go into right now. If you choose to use something else, just make sure you understand the goal is to change your habits throughout the day, not just hit a 10,000 step target through a fast-paced run at the beginning or end of your day.
Step it Up

Achieving 10,000 steps for the day may not be as glamorous as beating your best 10k time, achieving a new personal record on the deadlift or keeping up with your favorite group fitness instructor, but it’s a daily achievement that can have a long-lasting impact. The key is that it must be done daily. You can’t save it up and hit 30,000 steps by spending a Saturday afternoon walking on the treadmill. At this point, there doesn’t seem to be a significant benefit in trying to significantly exceed that number either. 10,000 steps seems to be the target that has the most health benefits for the most people. If you’re up for the challenge, join our Life Time Weight Loss Fitbit group and try to keep your daily average above 10,000 steps.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Karen it counts!!

It seems small efforts they the day are even better than an all out effort once a day.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Karen it counts!!

It seems small efforts they the day are even better than an all out effort once a day.
Hey!! We are supposed to be out tearing up the town on a Sat night.....Why are we home on the internet????
Old 07-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Sounds like a well rounded work out week Deb. I'm still sore in my thighs. I took LD for 2 walks. 11000 + steps today. I read a good article on another I will try to post.

How bad is sitting?

Growing evidence suggests that inactivity is a cause of obesity, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and other metabolic diseases. This is the case even for those who meet general exercise guidelines, meaning exercising for an hour 3-5 times per week may not offset the negative health effects of being sedentary the rest of the day. In addition, sitting or being sedentary appears to still cause these issues when individuals follow a good nutrition plan.

Decreased Insulin Sensitivity
Just one day of sitting has been shown to result in a 39% reduction in insulin action, which means the body must produce more insulin than normal to keep blood sugar levels steady. As insulin levels rise, the storage of fat increases and reliance on carbohydrate increases. As the body becomes more of a sugar-burner, triglycerides also increase. Without activity, the body isn’t able to clear triglycerides from the blood as well. Since the muscular system is not challenged with movement, it has no use for the triglycerides floating around in the blood stream.[2]

Altering of Genes
Bed rest studies closely resemble the levels of activity in those who are sedentary. Bed rest has been shown to alter more than 4500 genes and 34 metabolic pathways that determine how well the body’s cells function! To me, this was one of the most amazing statistics in the dozen research articles I read for this blog post. 4500 genes get altered by being sedentary! If genetics play a role in our health, it may very well be a result of what we do to our genes, not what our genes do to us.

Increased Abdominal Fat
Abdominal fat, or visceral fat, increases with inactivity, even when calorie intake is controlled, showing that fat can accumulate outside the “calorie balance” paradigm. It appears this increase in fat mass takes place as a result of increased fat cell numbers rather than increased fat cell size. This also tells us that good nutrition alone may not prevent the development of inflammatory belly fat.

Decreased Fat Burning | Increased Carbohydrate Burning
Fuel utilization shifts to carbohydrates while at rest rather than fat. This also takes place even if calorie intake is limited. Though low-intensity activity like long-duration cardio favors fat utilization, inactivity or being sedentary shifts the body away from using fat and toward the use of carbohydrate, likely as a result of rising insulin levels.
Defying the Logic of Calories In, Calories Out

Rats can voluntarily run up to 20 km per day when provided a wheel to run on. When the wheel is locked, preventing them from running, they see a dramatic increase in fat storage in just 3-4 days. Calories in, calories out advocates would be quick to suggest the fat gain is a result of the rats continuing to eat the same volume of food while significantly reducing their activity levels, resulting in an excessive energy balance. Interestingly, researchers also looked at the effects of limiting rats activity level and then reduced their food intake at the same time to eliminate the chance they’d eat too much. The results in fat gain were exactly the same! It’s another example of why fat loss and fat gain is not just a result of calorie balance, but is more a result of the body’s hormonal environment and how it affects the ability to manage fat and carbohydrate.

A similar study was done on healthy young men. These men averaged at least 10,000 steps per day prior to their study, and then had their activity level reduced to just 1500 steps per day for two weeks. The men lost body weight, so they weren’t eating excessive amounts of food. However, they experienced an average 7% increase in visceral fat, a reduction in insulin sensitivity and they responded worse to glucose and fat tolerance tests. Cardiovascular function (VO2 Max) was also reduced by 7% and leg muscle mass was reduced by 2.8%. Again, these changes occurred in just two weeks! Imagine the impact a new job with a lot of desk time has over a period of months. It’s no wonder so many white collar workers experience such dramatic changes in the condition of their bodies.

As the study authors explained, “Reduced insulin sensitivity leads to larger insulin responses and in some cases larger glucose responses after every meal. Insulin promotes lipid synthesis (fat storage), and therefore, elevated insulin responses following each meal could promote greater fat deposition in adipose.” The bottom line is, people don’t become fatter because they’re burning fewer calories by being sedentary. They get fatter because they actually change, or disrupt, the health of their metabolism.[3]
Movement is not Exercise

Those who are avid fitness enthusiasts may assume that moving more means “exercising” more. In fact, those who exercise more tend to spend more time sitting the rest of their day than those who don’t exercise. Think of exercise as what you do for an hour to optimize your health. Movement is what you do throughout the day just to maintain basic metabolic health.

Movement can be an easy walk following a meal, which has been shown to reduce glucose levels following a meal. Lower glucose levels mean improved fat burning. Researchers found that by having people walk for just 15 minutes following a meal, it reduced the glucose effects the meal. The study participants weren’t moving too fast during the 15 minutes, either.[4]

Exercise is a planned, focused, higher-intensity period of activity. For most people, it occupies an hour of their time three to five days per week. Movement occurs during the remaining 23 hours of the day that aren’t taken up with sleep. As I wrote about previously, I didn’t realize how little I moved myself until I started measuring it. It was a great wake-up call for me even though I don’t miss more than a workout or two each year.
Measuring Movement

Outside of exercise, the most common way we move is by walking. Counting steps is the most universal way of measuring movement, and a variety of pedometers and activity monitors help to measure the number of steps individuals take each day. Researchers have identified general levels of activity according to the table below.[5]

Walking 10,000 steps per day has been shown to be an effective means of reducing blood pressure. However, those most likely to be impacted by high blood pressure fall quite short of the 10,000 step per day target. Adults 65 and older averaged just 6565 steps per day, putting them at a “low active” level of activity.

Women exceeding 7500 steps/day had a 50% less chance of depression than those taking less than 5000 steps per day. Men who exceeded 12,500 steps had a 50% less chance of developing depression than those at less than 5000 steps per day.[6]

If you remember from the beginning of the article, our perception of how active we are is quite different than our reality. The best way to know you’re getting in enough steps is to wear an activity monitor, at least until your habits change. Studies using 10,000 steps per day as a target, and using an activity monitor to track daily steps, have been the most effective means of increasing activity levels of participants. We chose to offer Fitbits at Life Time for a variety of reasons I won’t go into right now. If you choose to use something else, just make sure you understand the goal is to change your habits throughout the day, not just hit a 10,000 step target through a fast-paced run at the beginning or end of your day.
Step it Up

Achieving 10,000 steps for the day may not be as glamorous as beating your best 10k time, achieving a new personal record on the deadlift or keeping up with your favorite group fitness instructor, but it’s a daily achievement that can have a long-lasting impact. The key is that it must be done daily. You can’t save it up and hit 30,000 steps by spending a Saturday afternoon walking on the treadmill. At this point, there doesn’t seem to be a significant benefit in trying to significantly exceed that number either. 10,000 steps seems to be the target that has the most health benefits for the most people. If you’re up for the challenge, join our Life Time Weight Loss Fitbit group and try to keep your daily average above 10,000 steps.
Interesting..........
Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought so. It seems like an attainable goal. We will see. I woke with sore armpits this morning from the Firm workout the other day legs still sore

Took LD for a walk
Old 07-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: misty1028
Stats: high 189 to 115 restart 169/139/120
WOE: low carb-Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: 1st-9-13-04 restart 1-1-11
Well not gym or exercise the last few days, but I do think I got a good workout everyday at my DS boat. Alot of swimming to the island and walking. Forgot how far you had to swim to get to the island. Her dingy was in for repair and we swam insted of paying for someone to come get us. Every part of my body is killing me.
misty1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like a lot of exercise to me Misty!

I got in more than my 10000 steps today. Took LD for a walk and worked in the yard picking up and piling big rocks in the areas DH recontoured. I'm tired.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #44
Big Yapper!!!!

We moved my furniture today.......so I am calling that my exercise.

Had to take family out to a buffet today, to pay them for loading/unloading 7 pieces of bookshelves................

Try again tomorrow for exercise.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #45
Deb

Up early and im ready for group rx class !

feel really good today after having a juice day yesterday !
Old 07-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning!

Karen I was wondering how the new place was going.

Deb you are up early. I'm glad you are feeling better.

Off to walk
Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #47
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Good Morning!

Karen I was wondering how the new place was going.

Deb you are up early. I'm glad you are feeling better.

Off to walk
Office help all think we should move entire office by Sept 1st. 38 file cabinets...............6 desks....................

DD is painting walls today, carpet cleaner maybe next week.....get possession by Wednesday.......

Thanks for asking. Don't want to subject you guys to too much detail but lots more thought process going into project right now.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #48
Deb

My foot is black and purple now...
Old 07-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #49
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
My foot is black and purple now...
Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #50
Deb

Thanks for the hugs Karen..

I am kind of feeling sorry for myself but you know im luck I didn't break it
Old 07-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: misty1028
Stats: high 189 to 115 restart 169/139/120
WOE: low carb-Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: 1st-9-13-04 restart 1-1-11
Got to the gym early this morning, for and hour. Started doing 30 min circuit again today. It'll take awhile to get use too.

Karen wow I'd call that moving exercise. But I'm sure when it's down it will be so well worth it. And I'll bet all those fire cabinets are full

Deb yikes still black and blue, does it still hurt?

Cheryl hows the walking going, I want to get a new pedometor and see how many steps it takes to walk around the lake.
misty1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #52
Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1028 View Post
Started doing 30 min circuit again today.

Deb yikes still black and blue, does it still hurt?

Cheryl hows the walking going, I want to get a new pedometor and see how many steps it takes to walk around the lake.
good for you on getting back to circuit..i used to do circuit and its a great workout

yes my foot does still hurt but funny..only when I do certain things

I would like to buy a pedometer..i have had a couple but they were never acurate
Old 07-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm doing good on my walking. Starting to look at Fitbit pedometer. A little pricey but they have good reviews. Syncs to your computer or smartphone. All kinds of data. Accurate. You can tuck it in a pocket or bra. I keep losing mine off my waistband.

Deb. you really did a number on your foot.

Misty good for you in circuit training.

Karen moving is exercise. I've done a lot and it is a workout. Even the supervisory position.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
I'm trying to adapt a '2 then 2' regimen. I do 2 days of cardio (walking one day usually 2+ miles and then 20min jump rope workout the next day) followed by 2 days of circuit training/dumbbells. Then go back to 2 days of cardio. It works for me at least.

Everyone is different. We shouldn't strive to do what so-and-so is doing, but instead find something that we enjoy and adapt it into our lifestyle.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #55
Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
I'm trying to adapt a '2 then 2' regimen. I do 2 days of cardio (walking one day usually 2+ miles and then 20min jump rope workout the next day) followed by 2 days of circuit training/dumbbells. Then go back to 2 days of cardio. It works for me at least.

Everyone is different. We shouldn't strive to do what so-and-so is doing, but instead find something that we enjoy and adapt it into our lifestyle.
so does that mean your joining us?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #56
Deb

Quote:
I'm doing good on my walking. Starting to look at Fitbit pedometer.
I think sometimes you get what you pay for !!!
Good for you on the walking Cheryl and you deserve the new pedometer
Old 07-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I looked at a couple places today but they didn't have it. I may have to order it

Newest we could use some male perspective
Old 07-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have my 10000 steps in. I think my pedometer is cookoo. While I waited for the tires on my car I walked up the hill to Academy Sports and looked around and then up another hill to Walmart and walked around in there. Then back to the tire store. It recorded less than 1000 steps over 45 minutes of walking. I get more than that walking LD for 15 minutes.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
so does that mean your joining us?

Sure I guess. I'm willing to report my activity for the remainder of the month at least.

July 15th 20 minutes of jump roping (HIT style). Great workout. I know i'll be feeling it later.

Last edited by NewestAtkinsFan; 07-15-2013 at 11:41 PM..
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Sending daughters to get new battery for my pedometer.................

then I will let it count the steps and see if I move at all on a daily basis

I didn't do any yesterday. Computer battles......