Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #121
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Brielle68
Such great inspirations!

I'm still only getting in 30min/day and was out of town this weekend, but I hit 4-1/2hrs this morning. I can't wait until I hit that 10hr mark but I've already felt greater strength enabling me to use better form. Between the inspiration I read here and on FB, I'm feeling pretty empowered and positive this is something I can do long term.

Thanks!
Brielle

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brielle68 View Post
I'm still only getting in 30min/day and was out of town this weekend, but I hit 4-1/2hrs this morning. I can't wait until I hit that 10hr mark but I've already felt greater strength enabling me to use better form. Between the inspiration I read here and on FB, I'm feeling pretty empowered and positive this is something I can do long term.

Thanks!
Brielle

And we will do all we can, Brielle, to keep you motivated to make Callanetics a regular part of the rest of your life.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
Just finished hour TWO!

That's longer than I've stuck with any exercise program so far, so it's a win. Seriously though; I didn't commit to any particular number of hours because right now my life is too screwed up to make any commitments. That said, I felt lovely-- sore, but lovely-- after my first hour. So I determined I need to do more. Hopefully I can get several more hours in before the end of the month...but I'll just have to see how much life will allow me to do.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #124
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahviya
Stats: 215
Start Date: May, 2013
My body is so spore! Last night I spent an hour of swimming round breast stroke and butterfly for half an hour each stroke. Then I completed another round of callanetics this morning. Just finished a 12 hour shift and I am ready for bed.

Slow gentle movements ~ keep pulsing for amazing results.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #125
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixentobe View Post
5/15.

Ahviya I have callanetics countdown. It's a book split into different areas of the body and you work over a month. It starts off easy and progresses to 10/10 level. It's good if there is a specific area you want to work on.
I want to give you more detail but the book is missing from my shelf. How odd.
Thank you. I am excited to get it and try that for 30 days and see how it goes. Realizing everything I do in conjunction with swimming will give me great results.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/?/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
I got up to the bar stretches done this morning (still recouping from the lack of sleep the other night, so woke a little too late), and I will now do the second half, starting with the warm up move in the beginning then I'll get down on the floor and get those hips and behind all perked up!

And after all my posts I never wished QueenB a happy birthday. Soooo....

toooo youuuuu!

tooooo youuuuuu!

dear QueeenBaaaacooonnnn!

tooooo youuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

Old 07-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
Just finished hour TWO!

That's longer than I've stuck with any exercise program so far, so it's a win. Seriously though; I didn't commit to any particular number of hours because right now my life is too screwed up to make any commitments. That said, I felt lovely-- sore, but lovely-- after my first hour. So I determined I need to do more. Hopefully I can get several more hours in before the end of the month...but I'll just have to see how much life will allow me to do.
Good work Domino! To optimize benefits try to get at least two sessions a week. Because it's such a strong mind/body connection it will help you stay sane while your life careens along during this life phase as well as sculpt your body. Think of it as "me" time .
Old 07-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

One more hour this morning! I don't know, something has happened; I'm waking up with my body expecting to do Callanetics, so I'm indulging it.

I tried putting my second leg out during the stomach exercises this morning and found I could do them (it was definitely more strenuous, that's for sure!), and if I put my heel on the floor, it felt similar to not putting my leg out, except it challenged my flexibility, however, I felt like I had skipped a step, given my knee was bent on the leg in the air (I tried during the latter half of the exercise). I've decided to remain patient, and simply get that leg to be straight the entire time comfortably, then proceed to the leg out version. I'm already at 60 pulses with my leg straight, so I suspect it won't be long.

Domino, stick with us, and you'll just keep surprising yourself, feeling better everytime you do!

Happy pulsing everyone!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 184 hours (8/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 07-13-2013 at 06:25 AM..
Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Getting ready to start my Saturday session. I just wanted to admit that even for someone as passionate about Callanetics as myself there is still that moment before each session where I try to talk myself out of it. Thankfully I have this board for motivation and I know from experience that by the time I get through warm-ups I'll be committed and feeling good. Thanks for being there guys.

Jiggle I have to remind myself every session that I work at MY speed. At my age I can't afford to get carried away trying to keep up with my own aspirations and impatience. To keep myself sane today I reread my original Callanetics journal from 1988 to recall how excited I get sometimes. This time I want it to be life-long so measurements and times are secondary to that goal. It's not like I'll stop because I'm unhappy with results. On a side note, I did sneak a look at some measurements and discovered I had lost 1 1/2 " in my waist and a whopping 4" off my hips Those little moments feel sooooo good!

Enough dawdling. On to the job at hand. Later guys.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

There. Session #6 Done Much better . I always feel so svelte when I'm finished. Tighter, more toned, better aligned.

Keep up all the good work all. Happy pulsing.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #131
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: qcollins
Stats: 250/246/130
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: July 2013
Hello all. So glad I found this thread! I just got my DVD and did the first hour. Wowzer! I'm pledging to do 5 more sessions this month.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcollins View Post
Hello all. So glad I found this thread! I just got my DVD and did the first hour. Wowzer! I'm pledging to do 5 more sessions this month.
Glad you got startedqcollins. We'll be here to egg you on and help advise if needed. Glad to have you on board. Happy pulsing

Last edited by susanw53; 07-13-2013 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Editorial Revision
Old 07-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #133
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vixentobe
Hey Jiggle, glad to hear your foot/ankle isn't giving you too much trouble anymore

LOL at the lower back stretch! I'm like that with the neck stretches and the pelvic rotations. I love the feel of my back and then my inner thighs stretching.

Brielle and Domino keep going, honestly you'll feel amazing and like Jiggle, you find your body will just keep asking for more!!

Glad to see that everyone is pushing forward. This is the first month I've actually measured myself (too scared to before).

It will be interesting to see if I lose inches as the main reason I have been doing callanetics is because it's the only exercise I can do that feels good. I've been doing it for a year or so but not as regularly as I am now.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixentobe View Post
Hey Jiggle, glad to hear your foot/ankle isn't giving you too much trouble anymore

LOL at the lower back stretch! I'm like that with the neck stretches and the pelvic rotations. I love the feel of my back and then my inner thighs stretching.

Brielle and Domino keep going, honestly you'll feel amazing and like Jiggle, you find your body will just keep asking for more!!

Glad to see that everyone is pushing forward. This is the first month I've actually measured myself (too scared to before).

It will be interesting to see if I lose inches as the main reason I have been doing callanetics is because it's the only exercise I can do that feels good. I've been doing it for a year or so but not as regularly as I am now.
We'll do our best to keep you consistent Vixentobe . In all my almost 60 years I've not found any exercise system that makes me feel as good as Callanetics does. That's why this time I decided it's a life-long journey. You WILL lose inches. With consistent practice it's a guarantee. When I started Callanetics 25 years ago I did them more-or-less consistently for three years before my life careened out of control for over a decade. During that time, without any dietary restrictions what-so-ever, I lost 35 lbs and tightened up beautifully. I credit those years with holding me together during all the off years. At one point during that three-year stretch I totaled a car ( without air bags), taking the impact through the steering column and walked away with only bruises from the seatbelt. Amazing strength in these gentle pulses.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

I overheard a woman in the grocery store yesterday say that pain and stiffness is a natural part of growing old and it was all I could do to keep from screaming "NO IT'S NOT!! CALLANETICS!!!" I can get so radical sometimes

Down another pound this week. Right on track.

Last edited by susanw53; 07-14-2013 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Adding weight.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
Can I join in please? I'm new to Callanetics having never even heard of before a few weeks ago. So far I've completed 6 hours using the 10/10 DVD.

I had a baby (c-section) last year, apple shaped plus baby destroying waistline are not an attractive combo! My results so far are this:

1 hour - that 'pouch' between belly button and scar noticeably smaller
2 hours - legs feel fabulous and tighter
3 hours - tummy pulling in under rib cage and pouch smaller again
4 hours - feeling much better through my core, back better and tummy just feels tighter
5 hours - legs of steel! So much definition coming and they just feel so hard! Buttocks lifted fractionally
6 hours - pouch enormously improved, 'behind' better again, no weight lost but 1 inch gone from waist (didn't measure anywhere else as its all about the waist for me).

I'm hoping to get in another 12-14 hours this month to get me to 18-20 before August.

Really enjoying the DVD, the exercises and the pace. I've read reviews where people find Callan annoying, but I find her really endearing! Was really sad when I realised she'd passed. Looking forward to hearing how everyone else gets on too!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #137
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vixentobe
7/15
Aww thank you Susan
Congratulations on your weight loss!

Looks like our lives are backwards. I've been in a plane crash, but discovered Callanetics afterwards.

It always throws people (physios/consultants more than others ) how flexible I am because I walk with a walking stick and have real trouble walking. I always say it's Callanetics! Without it I'd probably need to use my mobility scooter all the time instead of only for long distances.

Zula!
I'm so glad you've made such wonderful progress already!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Zula. We're glad to have you join in. I'm already impressed with your vigor. Good work. Prepare to be truly amazed at the incredible changes your body will be going through.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #139
Junior LCF Member

Okay so I just completed hour number 4 for this month. I still have a noticeable pooch. Despite doing 28 hours total since May. My pooch has not moved. My legs are not like feathers and I am getting frustrated. I know it didn't go on over night but it seems everyone else is having better results with less time. I weight lift (half hour) 3 times a week, swim 2 times a week and do callanetics 3 times a week slowly. I eat healthy and take my vitamins, avoid sugary sweets and salty snacks. This is crazy. I am trying to reach a small goal by September 5th, but it seems like it may take longer.
Argghhh off to work I go. Have a great day everyone. No, I have not done measurements since May. Afraid they won't show any change.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Zulu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahviya View Post
Okay so I just completed hour number 4 for this month. I still have a noticeable pooch. Despite doing 28 hours total since May. My pooch has not moved. My legs are not like feathers and I am getting frustrated. I know it didn't go on over night but it seems everyone else is having better results with less time. I weight lift (half hour) 3 times a week, swim 2 times a week and do callanetics 3 times a week slowly. I eat healthy and take my vitamins, avoid sugary sweets and salty snacks. This is crazy. I am trying to reach a small goal by September 5th, but it seems like it may take longer.
Argghhh off to work I go. Have a great day everyone. No, I have not done measurements since May. Afraid they won't show any change.
First of all...

Secondly, please don't be discouraged. What I realised from measuring is that the parts of my body I wasn't focussed on were changing; slowly denting in, pulling up, etc.. Another thing I didn't realise is that while all those secret-to-me changes were happening, the parts I was focussed on / measured were moving and were getting the bulk of what was being pushed out of the way from the parts I wasn't looking at. Then one day, I started measuring other parts and I was like "OMG! I had no idea!"

Thirdly, If I just went by what I saw when I looked in the mirror or stood on the scale (that doesn't happen very often), I'd think nothing much has happened, because our eyes unintentionally lie, or we see ourselves so much, it's hard for us to see the smaller changes. Think about what I just said and take into account, I've lost 8" on my abs alone, and 6" that I know of (I'm sure it's more, that was a place I didn't think to measure at first), above my knees! And if I didn't measure I would not have guessed I had lost 2/3rds of that. Seriously, it's not that noticeable to ourselves sometimes. AND with all that, I haven't lost all that much weight, so I've gained A LOT of muscle.

So, face your fear and get your measuring tape out and see what happened. You might be as shocked as I was / still am.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/209.9/145 5'4" 34 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
I love the way you keep moving forward Jen. You've got to be over 50 sessions since you started. Way to go girl .
Thanks, Susan!! I haven't actually counted all my completed sessions. I should do that!

Reporting another two sessions, which brings my total to 6/20 for the month. Going to attempt three sessions over the next three days, then another rest day.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Okay, one more hour for me today!

The high heat and humidity has made me turn into an unmotivated snail, so I just shrugged my shoulders and decided to just do the 10/10 with no extras and not to rush anything and....

Before I even noticed, I had done all my single leg stomach exercises with my leg straight, all 100! My stretches were more relaxed and fuller, and I could go deeper, not much, but enough to allow the actual relaxation in my back too. Maybe it's because I did the stretches last night after my parkour session, just before bed? or maybe it's the heat? In any case, I hope I can continue this level of improvement!

Yesterday, as I was standing, waiting to cross the street, I noticed my legs straightening more. Not to the point of having locked knees, just straighter. So, it's not just the back that gets elongated from these movements, as far as posture is concerned. I was surprised by this. I've felt the extension through my lower abs while walking before, but this knee elongation is new. Hopefully it will become the norm as my lower abs have.

Quote:
Getting ready to start my Saturday session. I just wanted to admit that even for someone as passionate about Callanetics as myself there is still that moment before each session where I try to talk myself out of it. Thankfully I have this board for motivation and I know from experience that by the time I get through warm-ups I'll be committed and feeling good. Thanks for being there guys.

Jiggle I have to remind myself every session that I work at MY speed. At my age I can't afford to get carried away trying to keep up with my own aspirations and impatience. To keep myself sane today I reread my original Callanetics journal from 1988 to recall how excited I get sometimes. This time I want it to be life-long so measurements and times are secondary to that goal. It's not like I'll stop because I'm unhappy with results. On a side note, I did sneak a look at some measurements and discovered I had lost 1 1/2 " in my waist and a whopping 4" off my hips Those little moments feel sooooo good!

Enough dawdling. On to the job at hand. Later guys.
Funny. Everyone says they're committed by the time they get to the stomach exercises. For me it's the hip an behind exercises. Ha ha!

So, I'm confused about the floor stretches. Am I supposed to feel anything in my legs? I would think I'd feel something in my hamstrings or something, once my lower back and hips gain more flexibility and I can go further down, no?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #143
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 16th April 2013
Hi everyone

I have completed 4/10 today of Evo.
I tried with the single leg ab exercises to straighten the lower leg out. I extended my leg out as much as I could but as my leg lifted my lower back came up off the floor and I lost control of the pelvic floor contraction and naval down. I think I managed about 3 pulses until I thought better of it and decided to continue with the knee bent. I will keep trying though!

Well done Jigglebuster for doing 100 with leg straight. I can't help you with the floor exercises as I haven't got 10/10 but I know with the Evo ones I make sure I am extended out of the hips as much as I can and raised up through the crown with pelvic floor tight and then bend over.

With everyone saying they are committed by the time they reach the ab exercises - on Evo they are the last section of exercises on the DVD - maybe I should switch it round and do that section straight after warm up

all Newbies!

Happy pulsing everyone!

Last edited by keepfitbrit; 07-15-2013 at 08:33 AM..
Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepfitbrit View Post
Hi everyone

I have completed 4/10 today of Evo.
I tried with the single leg ab exercises to straighten the lower leg out. I extended my leg out as much as I could but as my leg lifted my lower back came up off the floor and I lost control of the pelvic floor contraction and naval down. I think I managed about 3 pulses until I thought better of it and decided to continue with the knee bent. I will keep trying though!

Well done Jigglebuster for doing 100 with leg straight. I can't help you with the floor exercises as I haven't got 10/10 but I know with the Evo ones I make sure I am extended out of the hips as much as I can and raised up through the crown with pelvic floor tight and then bend over.

all Newbies!

Happy pulsing everyone!

Thanks Keepfitbrit!

I don't remember if Evo shows this or not, but in 10/10, one o the suggestions Callan gives to take some of the strain off the lower back is to keep the leg straight but lower it and place your heel on the floor. Try that and see how it goes. I know it calmed my back when I did it.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #145
Junior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Jigglebuster;16515436

First of all...

Secondly, please don't be discouraged. What I realised from measuring is that the parts of my body I wasn't focussed on were changing; slowly denting in, pulling up, etc.. Another thing I didn't realise is that while all those secret-to-me changes were happening, the parts I was focussed on / measured were moving and were getting the bulk of what was being pushed out of the way from the parts I wasn't looking at. Then one day, I started measuring other parts and I was like "OMG! I had no idea!"

Thirdly, If I just went by what I saw when I looked in the mirror or stood on the scale (that doesn't happen very often), I'd think nothing much has happened, because our eyes unintentionally lie, or we see ourselves so much, it's hard for us to see the smaller changes. Think about what I just said and take into account, I've lost 8" on my abs alone, and 6" that I know of (I'm sure it's more, that was a place I didn't think to measure at first), above my knees! And if I didn't measure I would not have guessed I had lost 2/3rds of that. Seriously, it's not that noticeable to ourselves sometimes. AND with all that, I haven't lost all that much weight, so I've gained A LOT of muscle.

So, face your fear and get your measuring tape out and see what happened. You might be as shocked as I was / still am.[/QUOTE]

Thank you jigglebuster! I know I shouldn't be so hard or compare myself to others. The green monster broke loose. I know that inches are gone as my bathing suit size changed from 16 to 14. I will measure tonight. I guess I am still frustrated that no matter how hard I try to put my hips on top of one another my pooch does not seem to go anywhere. Even some of my pants are tight in the stomach that were not tight before. I'll let you know.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
Ahviya I assume you've had a baby if you have the same pooch as I do? Forgive me if I'm wrong!

Firstly are you abdominals together? If you don't close your abdominal muscles first no amount of exercise will influence that area.

Secondly I had to modify the abdominal stretch in the warm up section to get my deep obliques working enough to influence that area. For me rather than standing with hand on hip I prop the support arm onto a suitably low sofa and stretch over much further than I currently have the strength to support the way Callan demonstrates, this way I really feel the stretch deep down into the pelvis and it's tightening up down there a treat.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Quote:
I overheard a woman in the grocery store yesterday say that pain and stiffness is a natural part of growing old and it was all I could do to keep from screaming "NO IT'S NOT!! CALLANETICS!!!" I can get so radical sometimes

Down another pound this week. Right on track.
Susan, congratulations!

I agree about the pain and stiffness not being natural. As a creaky, squeaky type I can say the following:

Callanetics takes away the pain, the stiffness, the creakiness, the squeakiness, and it improves flexibility, strength, and endurance, and gives well-being, hope and joy. I am so grateful to Callan for giving us these miracle exercises. I sometimes think she's giving Callanetics lessons in heaven.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Susan, congratulations!

I agree about the pain and stiffness not being natural. As a creaky, squeaky type I can say the following:

Callanetics takes away the pain, the stiffness, the creakiness, the squeakiness, and it improves flexibility, strength, and endurance, and gives well-being, hope and joy. I am so grateful to Callan for giving us these miracle exercises. I sometimes think she's giving Callanetics lessons in heaven.
I think so too Auntie Em. I can just hear her ".... just do what you can..."
Old 07-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #149
Junior LCF Member

Susan and Jigglebuster - I did measurements this morning and here they are seems more depressig than encouraging.

Well after 9 weeks here are my stats. Not much to write home about I figured there would be more inches lost. Instead, I gained 1.5” in both arms. Not much of a difference in the abdominal measurements.

What more should I be doing to improve my stats? I can feel me abs when I work them which gave me hope that I would have lost more than half an inch.
Lower – 48.0” July – 2013 – 47.5” ~ -.5” loss
Thighs: LMay 2013 – 29.0”) July – 2013 - 26” ~ -3” loss
R: (Ma 2013 – 29.0”) July – 2013 - 27” ~ -2” loss
Arms: LMay 2013 – 14.5”) July – 2013 - 16”~ +1.5” GAIN
R: (May 2013 – 14.5”) July – 2013 - 16”~ +1.5 GAIN

Bottom Line – June 2013 ~ didn't bother to check in the mirror.

Last edited by Ahviya; 07-16-2013 at 03:03 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 03:10 AM   #150
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
Ahviya I assume you've had a baby if you have the same pooch as I do? Forgive me if I'm wrong!

Firstly are you abdominals together? If you don't close your abdominal muscles first no amount of exercise will influence that area.

Secondly I had to modify the abdominal stretch in the warm up section to get my deep obliques working enough to influence that area. For me rather than standing with hand on hip I prop the support arm onto a suitably low sofa and stretch over much further than I currently have the strength to support the way Callan demonstrates, this way I really feel the stretch deep down into the pelvis and it's tightening up down there a treat.
Yes, except my son is 12 years old (last week). Your results were amazing after just 6 hours, I have been doing this for 9 weeks and dont have the same results. I know we are all different in how our bodies respond, but I figured I would have a significant change in my pooch and legs after 9 long weeks. If I could go running again I would. Metal in ankle prevents that since I have damaged it twice running. Doctor told me next time I would have to have surgery again to replace the metal.

I have looked at the before/after photos of people ater 10 hours who look amazing and are about the same size and shape I am. That is why I am frustrated, people have amazing results in 10 hours and mine are nothing after 9 weeks. Maybe I should do callanetics everyday to notice more of a change instead of 3/4 times per week? I don't know. The only place I notice the change is my face. It has gotten thinner

Have a great day. Till tomorrow.
Closed Thread