Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #91
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
keepfitbrit thank you!!

just finished my 11th total hour, and my 7th for July yay

if anyone is interested I posted my before and after 10 hour bikini shots on my blog!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vixentobe
Thanks Susan, I'll keep going as normal.

QueenB I see the difference. Congrats!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
I want to see!

How do I see your blog QueenB?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #94
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
I want to see!

How do I see your blog QueenB?
the link for my blog is at the bottom of my Sig
Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixentobe View Post
Jigglebuster I hope your heel gets better soon. I never knew that only some women get 6 packs; lucky me I guess. I can't eat more though because I'm about 50lbs overweight (hips and thighs). I guess I'm going to carry on as normal then and deal with my stomach after my thighs and hips are where I want them to be.
I suspect it might be a bit before you have a full fledged 6 pack then, so wouldn't worry about it. Most of my weight was around my hips and on my legs, and it seemed it all just got pushed up to my waist before it would melt away. Ha ha! But seriously, as susan says it's all about balance, and your body knows what is balance for you. Perhaps this is another level of accepting your body for what it is?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBacon View Post
the link for my blog is at the bottom of my Sig
Thanks! My neighbour kept me up late, so not only did I just wake up, which means I don't have time to do my Callanetics this morning, but My brain is still in the fog!

Okay, I saw it! Nice going! Your peach is getting all perky and smooth, your abs and thighs have pulled in, your shoulders and chest look stronger and yes, everything is definitely smoothing out!!!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 07-10-2013 at 06:09 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
keepfitbrit thank you!!

if anyone is interested I posted my before and after 10 hour bikini shots on my blog!
Queenbacon!!! I see trememdous change. Things moving and shifting all over. The upper body in particular is developing nice sexy smooth lines. Your waist looks dramatically different. You look taller because you're better aligned. Great work ! I'm looking forward to the next level shots. Have a wonderful day, New You
Old 07-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #98
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GettingGorgeous
WOE: Clean Eater
3rd session finished for this month and it was really good one! I could tilt my pelvis more during the leg exercises and also was able to straighten my leg more during the 2nd leg (arch on bar).

Queenbacon: Very impressive results in just 10 hours already! The back of your legs are tighter and your abs are impressive. Imagine what you can achieve in 10 more hours!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sunsetbeach1
Hi, I've done almost 30 hours of the orginal callanetics but decided to try evolution for a change. I was surprised to find it much more difficult than the original! I thought after spending so much time with the original that evolution would be quite simple! Has anyone else found this?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #100
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

everyone thanks so much for the kind words!! that means so much to me!

yes evolution is allot harder for me also
Old 07-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeepman4me
Quote:
keepfitbrit thank you!!

Thanks for posting before/after pics - it's inspired me to keep going!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahviya
Stats: 215
Start Date: May, 2013
Did another hour for three this month.
Vixentobe I know it seems so hard to not judge ourselves. But my goal it to love myself just a little more and I believe the negativity that I was saying will go away. Usually easier said than done.

Question for senior members - my grandmother told me about a callanetics book called Callanetics Countdown she saw at a book store near her. I told I would love to have it. She is sending it to me from Delaware. Is this also a great alternative to the 10 in 10? I have super (still working on completing that again SLOWLY) and quick legs. I have been looking for other DVDs to do just to change things up a bit.
Have a great day.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #103
Junior LCF Member

5/15.
Quote:
I suspect it might be a bit before you have a full fledged 6 pack then, so wouldn't worry about it. Most of my weight was around my hips and on my legs, and it seemed it all just got pushed up to my waist before it would melt away. Ha ha! But seriously, as susan says it's all about balance, and your body knows what is balance for you. Perhaps this is another level of accepting your body for what it is?
Thanks for the warning Jiggle. I remember in a previous thread you said your stomach is your area like me. Now I know to expect to be a bit waist-less for a while!
Yes I guess it is all about acceptance. I'll get there!

Ahviya I have callanetics countdown. It's a book split into different areas of the body and you work over a month. It starts off easy and progresses to 10/10 level. It's good if there is a specific area you want to work on.
I want to give you more detail but the book is missing from my shelf. How odd.

Last edited by Vixentobe; 07-11-2013 at 05:18 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Woo Hoo!!! I've had a full night's sleep and it's a beautiful day to have of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbeach1 View Post
Hi, I've done almost 30 hours of the orginal callanetics but decided to try evolution for a change. I was surprised to find it much more difficult than the original! I thought after spending so much time with the original that evolution would be quite simple! Has anyone else found this?
I actually didn't find it more difficult, just different in a way, but that's me. What I did find though, is it explained some of the concepts more, and with Sandra's explanations here, I was able to consciously apply this to 10/10, and can therefore make it harder if I choose. I also do some of the the Evo moves in place or in addition to what is in the 10/10 video, but I like to use 10/10 as my base, no matter what I do. I guess we're all different, and maybe it's because it's flexibility, not strength that is my issue, others it's the opposite... ha ha! Here I go babbling again!

Congrats on your 30 hours Sunsetbeach!!!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.25
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 197 hours (2/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 07-11-2013 at 05:56 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Jigglebuster, a good night's sleep is like a tonic for the soul : ) Glad to hear it.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #106
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sunsetbeach1
Thanks Jigglebuster and Susanw53 for your responses, I prefer the stomach exercises in Evolution as I think it works the muscles harder but like you said Susan you do have to be more mindful with focusing on counterpulls, I find there are so many things to think about at once! I will look at the facebook page for those videos you mentioned
Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Hi everyone

QueenBacon - Wow! - your before and after shots demonstrate just how powerful these exercises are after such a short period of time. Thank you for sharing.

Did my 3/10 for this month and my 40th session so far

I am really happy to have reached 40 sessions since I started in April. Looking ahead now to the next 40.

sunsetbeach1 I personally love love love Evolution. I must admit that I am still following two of the beginning exercises (because it helps to keep my pelvic floor contracted) but in the main I follow the intermediate level and do the advanced stretches. But that is just the way my body is.

I admire anyone who is doing the advanced single leg raise ab exercises with the lower leg stretched out. I still need to keep that leg bent as I find as I stretch it out my back arches off the floor and then my back takes over. Any advice on this would be welcome.

Susanw53 - the mini-seminar on the Alexander Technique you mentioned - do you have a link on that by any chance? It sounds like it really compliments the Callanetics concepts.

Jeepman4me and Krissakris

Keep up the great work everyone and happy pulsing!

Last edited by keepfitbrit; 07-11-2013 at 06:04 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepfitbrit View Post

Susanw53 - the mini-seminar on the Alexander Technique you mentioned - do you have a link on that by any chance? It sounds like it really compliments the Callanetics concepts.
It was a self-developed mini seminar. My academic background is in education so I periodically put myself through a study session where I completely immerse myself in a subject as if I had signed up for a seminar. My husband is wonderfully supportive and tries to keep the world at bay while I indulge my student side . I actually pulled out all of my books on Alexander and then went to YouTube and typed in Alexander Technique. Of special note are short videos (most are less than a minute) by mrktr3324 and a five part series of Michel Segal in Glasgow that were posted a couple years ago. She is so lovely she almost reduced me to tears of joy just watching her work. I've become immersed in the idea of softening the back of my neck and letting everything billow out (the billowing is Sandra's idea). Surprisingly, for me, my back muscles are loudly protesting this realignment back to normal and the past few days have been a struggle to keep my back from spasm. I will prevail.

Alexander Technique is very complementary to Callanetics because it greatly assists the mind/body connection and your ability to release any and all tension as you work. It really amped up my last session. The little shorts by mrktr3324 haunt me all day long. He has an excellent way of getting right to the gem of the idea. I'll be interested in your response to them if you check them out. It's going to take me a while to learn how to properly get up from a chair again. Sitting was easier. The most important thing I've learned so far was the real structure of the neck. Yes, I knew it, but I wasn't thinking of the entire structure and how much of the body is interconnected with the neck structure. I'm looking forward to today's session because I have even more to apply. Life is one big science experiment for me

Enjoy
Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi everyone

I admire anyone who is doing the advanced single leg raise ab exercises with the lower leg stretched out. I still need to keep that leg bent as I find as I stretch it out my back arches off the floor and then my back takes over. Any advice on this would be welcome.
I was once one of those people, and so I know I can get there again. Since I began again, I have slowly been able to straighten my leg for up to 40 pulses before I start to shake or my back takes over, at which time I bend my knee again and continue for the rest, and eventually it will be 60, 70, then one day, 100! I did this the first time too.

What I'm doing is before each ab exercise, I take that leg and do the beginner leg stretch i.e. while lying on the floor with one knee bent, foot on the floor, I take the other leg by its calf and pull it toward me. My leg was bent SO MUCH when I began this, and now it's only 1/3 of what it was bent.

After that, I relax, then begin to extend my leg up until it's straight, 2 or 3 times. There seems to be a moment of release when my leg and hip allow it to straighten. On the last time, I hold, then commence relaxing my peach and legs and proceed with the stomach exercise.

The first time I did this, I could do 3 pulses with m leg straight. I never push, so if it's only 1, then you did one! Eventually your body will allow you to do more, as it strengthens and becomes more flexible, you'll see. But again, never push, just do what you can do.

I hope that helps!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Oh, I wanted to say, I could do all of the hour today and my foot/ankle wasn't bothering me. It's slightly weaker, but not much. I'm so glad!

I had to laugh at myself too. As you know I tend to do it at my own pace, and so there I was doing the floor stretches, and I got to the lower back stretch, counting away, and suddenly, I hear myself.... "76, 77..." It felt so good! So of course I did the same for the other side.

I have a question for the people who can do the floor stretches without too many issues....

What do you feel stretching exactly? On my side ones, I tend to feel it in my tail bone on the opposite side, and the inner thigh of the opposite leg, and on the first one with legs out, I only feel it around my hips and tail bone. I guess I'm wondering what I'll feel when I get to where I'm trying to get?

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 07-11-2013 at 09:35 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Hi everyone

Susanw53 - thank you for the information -I have checked out the short videos and agree about the rising from a chair advice. All this time I have been getting up from a chair by pulling down to go up - in fact I almost scoop my body usually, by going down and then up. There is so much to learn. I think a lot of advice on Evolution with the idea of counterpulls and the emphasis on bending from your hips and not your back adds so much more to the exercises and makes them more challenging. That's what I love about Callanetics is that is draws from so many different disciplines.

Jigglebuster
- pleased your ankle is on the mend. I will take the ab exercises slowly - I can manage a few maybe 5 with lower leg outstretched but will try the pre-stretch you mentioned. One good thing is that I am rounding my upper back more during the ab exercises but it consequently increases the difficulty level but will in time enable me to get better results.

Happy pulsing everyone!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh, I wanted to say, I could do all of the hour today and my foot/ankle wasn't bothering me. It's slightly weaker, but not much. I'm so glad!

I had to laugh at myself too. As you know I tend to do it at my own pace, and so there I was doing the floor stretches, and I got to the lower back stretch, counting away, and suddenly, I hear myself.... "76, 77..." It felt so good! So of course I did the same for the other side.

I have a question for the people who can do the floor stretches without too many issues....

What do you feel stretching exactly? On my side ones, I tend to feel it in my tail bone on the opposite side, and the inner thigh of the opposite leg, and on the first one with legs out, I only feel it around my hips and tail bone. I guess I'm wondering what I'll feel when I get to where I'm trying to get?
I start the floor stretches by gently trying to get my legs apart even further and begin thinking "UP" as I lift out of the pelvic bowl and s-t-r-e-t-c-h up and out. My entire focus is to release the neck and back as I ease out. Since incorporating Alexander Technique into my session I find I run through the whole 'suggestion' (free the neck, to let the head come forward and up... Etc) about four times before I'm down as far as I am comfortable. Today I was paying close attention and I feel the stretch most in the lowest part of my back where the muscles are tightest and all along the spine. Today I focused during this stretch on lengthening along the spine as I slid further out the counterpulls, lifting out of the pelvis. It was magnificent! Best stretch I've ever gotten on this stretch.

Those Alexander suggestions were an incredible addition to my abdominals today as well. Beginning the movement as I suggested freeing the neck, curling high as my head came forward and up and the back lengthened and widened, straightening the raised leg or legs as the legs extended away from the torso and releasing the arms as they extended out to the side. Then relax the abs down into the pelvis and begin pulsing. Glorious!

When I do the second series of abs, with one leg up, I've started using Sandra's enhancement of walking the lower leg out, stretching out all along the counterpulls until it lifts off the floor on its own and then pulsing. It takes lots of focus and control but it works the obliques deeper and you get faster results. I used to just extend the leg like Callan shows, but I find this little tweak more beneficial.

Session #5 for the month done. I feel great. My back has settled down quite nicely. Thank goodness! That was driving me crazy One of the reasons I do Callanetics is for freedom of movement. I can live without this complication forever more

Keep up the good work all. Happy pulsing
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi everyone

Susanw53 - thank you for the information -I have checked out the short videos and agree about the rising from a chair advice. All this time I have been getting up from a chair by pulling down to go up - in fact I almost scoop my body usually, by going down and then up. There is so much to learn. I think a lot of advice on Evolution with the idea of counterpulls and the emphasis on bending from your hips and not your back adds so much more to the exercises and makes them more challenging. That's what I love about Callanetics is that is draws from so many different disciplines.
I know -isn't he incredible? Today while standing in front of the barre for leg exercises I realized I have a tendency to push my hips to the front and I kept hearing him say "Instead of standing in front of your legs... Why not stand over them instead?" as I shifted my center back over my legs and giggled I'm really struggling with getting up from the chair or couch by going up instead of down. I keep sitting back down and rethinking it before I try again. It's creeping into the rest of my life as well. Not a bad thing.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Thanks susan! I'll keep that in mind when visualizing what I'm doing.

Quote:
Hi everyone

Jigglebuster[/B] - pleased your ankle is on the mend. I will take the ab exercises slowly - I can manage a few maybe 5 with lower leg outstretched but will try the pre-stretch you mentioned. One good thing is that I am rounding my upper back more during the ab exercises but it consequently increases the difficulty level but will in time enable me to get better results.
Thanks!

Two things I thought I'd like to mention too, are the counterpulls, and relaxation. Using the counter pulls, you can extend your leg out of its socket. This will help you find the sweet spot where your leg can then relax. Then let your leg relax there (I do this with the straight legged hip and behind exercise). I find relaxing our muscles can either make things more of a challenge, or make them easier, depending on the exercise and your position, but there's always a sweet spot where you get that floating affect along with the isolation of the muscles you're working.

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 07-11-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Old 07-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #115
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: qpdoll
Stats: 176/162/138, 5'3",Muscular Med Frame
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2007
Woo Hoo Queen Bacon!!!! YOU LOOK AWESOME!!! Happy Birthday!!!

Keep up the good work!!

Susan - You are my sweet susan..I think most of time just when I'm about to give up you say something sweet and I just want to get up and go again!! Thank you for being so awesome!!

Did 2 of 10 this month! Hope to keep going this time..Have a good night all...
Old 07-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpdoll View Post

Keep up the good work!!

Susan - You are my sweet susan..I think most of time just when I'm about to give up you say something sweet and I just want to get up and go again!! Thank you for being so awesome!!

You are so sweet Dolly. I'm so glad to motivate. When I think of all the missed years without Callanetics it makes me more passionate about keeping you all excited about continuing.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #117
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

12th total hour and 8th for July! woo hoo
Old 07-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #118
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpdoll View Post

Keep up the good work!!

ty so much !
Old 07-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks susan! I'll keep that in mind when visualizing what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Two things I thought I'd like to mention too, are the counterpulls, and relaxation. Using the counter pulls, you can extend your leg out of its socket. This will help you find the sweet spot where your leg can then relax. Then let your leg relax there (I do this with the straight legged hip and behind exercise). I find relaxing our muscles can either make things more of a challenge, or make them easier, depending on the exercise and your position, but there's always a sweet spot where you get that floating affect along with the isolation of the muscles you're working.
I couldn't agree more. I've been working with this for about three weeks now and I'm really impressed that finding that spot when you are so stretched out on the counterpulls that the leg lifts itself works even deeper muscles with better result and less strain. I've achieved a certain level of real control with it on the standing leg movements from Evo and the straight leg Hip and Behind from Evo. Yesterday I started refining it with the abs movements with great success. Relaxed and effortless.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #120
Junior LCF Member

Hi guys, hope all is well. Will catch up on the thread a bit later. Just logging 6/15 Ciao!
Closed Thread