Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nemia
I wish to add that reading Sandrahanna's wonderful explanation on these boards, especially the May challenge, has really helped. She knows to explain so well. English is not my first language, actually it's my third, so I was confused about counterpulls... maybe some part of the anatomy that had escaped my notion...?

Now I understood the principle. Oh, how wonderful! Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/199/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemia View Post
The second session in July. My leg wound is infected and I couldn't put pressure on it - it's where a dog bit and scratched me ten days ago when I was walking :-( But I adapted some of the Evolution standing exercises and did 45 minutes, and I filled the Midge-and-the-table demonstrations with exercise.

I enjoy the rotational pulse especially for the arm tightening thingie. Why didn't I think of that myself?

Still not daring to do the Evolution tape and have it count as exercise time. Just trying the movements. The ladies on the tape are so graceful and elegant that I find it nearly intimidating... of course they couldn't take klutzes like me and we have to aspire to something.... but wow, the difference is HUGE.
I'm not a medical professional but I'm pretty sure an infected wound constitutes time off from ANY exercise. We won't let you fall away. Your body needs to heal and proper rest is a vital part of that process. Be kind to yourself and let yourself heal.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I enjoy the rotational pulse especially for the arm tightening thingie. Why didn't I think of that myself?

Still not daring to do the Evolution tape and have it count as exercise time. Just trying the movements. The ladies on the tape are so graceful and elegant that I find it nearly intimidating... of course they couldn't take klutzes like me and we have to aspire to something.... but wow, the difference is HUGE.
Nemia I had to laugh because I find myself sitting on the couch playing with that arm movement asking myself why I didn't think of that . Also, when I first tried Evolution I felt like a stumbling elephant! In time I gained much greater control and it became more graceful . I still prefer 10/10 but many of the Evolution moves are slipping into my regular session. I find Evolution fascinating.

Take care. Rest. Try gentle stretches for a few days while you watch the Evolution DVD and think it through while you heal a bit more. .
Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Nemia, you can just add, or substitute, the exercises or stretches from Evolution which appeal to you, as you like, whenever you wish. I modify anything I wish, to suit my needs.

For example, I do the pelvic scoops, figure eights, etc., standing.

And I do the back-of-the-thigh and buttocks pulsings while lying face down, rather than having my weight on my shoulders and elbows. Doing that exercise lying face down is great for releasing neck and head tension, getting rid of headaches, etc.

And I do the exercises in an order which suits me, with stretches and rests in between.

For example, I do the side stretches (which are shown as part of the warm-up phase) near the end of my entire routine, as I find I need to be very, very warmed up and stretched in order to be able to do them.

Also, I do the leg scissors, lying on my back with my legs straight up in the air.

I put many restorative yoga rests and gentle stretches in between the exertion exercises. For example, I'll do one abdomen exercise and then rest, a gentle stretch, another restful stretch, and then another abdomen exercises. Sometimes I take a break, drink some tea or do something else, and then go back to the same pattern: rest, stretch, exertion, rest, stretch, rest, exertion....

With that method, I can total a great number of pulses.

Also key is finding and tending the peak/optimal position for each exercise, and if the exercise doesn't feel quite right, to stop, realign, reposition, check breathing, release the neck, release the jaw and root of the tongue, always focussing on using the deepest muscles possible while melting everything else into the floor.

Can you tell I love Callanetics!

Hope this helps.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-03-2013 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 07-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Brielle68
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm getting in 30 min/day right now, but my goal is to bump up to one hour at least twice/week. I am really looking forward to hitting the 10hr mark and seeing where I'm at. I want to lose weight, not just inches but I will be happy with anything at this point. My metabolism was already pretty slow, but it disappeared all together when I hit 40. < and yes, I've had every test under the sun - I can't blame my thyroid or anything like that >

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!
Brielle

humm ... smileys are bit addicting, aren't they?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GettingGorgeous
WOE: Clean Eater
Just did my first session for this month and had great workout! 9 more to go! Happy pulsing everyone!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosebud87
I did my first leg session for July yesterday, my 2nd will be tomorrow.

In total, that brings me to 20 sessions. I thought my thighs were becoming smaller- but today in the fitting room was a nightmare. They kind of look 3x larger..

I'm frazzled. but i love callanetics and i know it's a journey. maybe my legs need 30 hours to change.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosebud87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Nemia, you can just add, or substitute, the exercises or stretches from Evolution which appeal to you, as you like, whenever you wish. I modify anything I wish, to suit my needs.

For example, I do the pelvic scoops, figure eights, etc., standing.

And I do the back-of-the-thigh and buttocks pulsings while lying face down, rather than having my weight on my shoulders and elbows. Doing that exercise lying face down is great for releasing neck and head tension, getting rid of headaches, etc.

Hope this helps.

AuntieEm, are you referring to the hips and behind exercise? or is this something else?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mandiew
I'm in for 10 this month. 1.5 done - (.5 was half of 10/10 yesterday) Super tonight.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud87 View Post
I did my first leg session for July yesterday, my 2nd will be tomorrow.

In total, that brings me to 20 sessions. I thought my thighs were becoming smaller- but today in the fitting room was a nightmare. They kind of look 3x larger..

I'm frazzled. but i love callanetics and i know it's a journey. maybe my legs need 30 hours to change.
Patience rosebud, it's just your body changing. As you tighten the fat starts moving and things feel a bit confusing sometimes. This is actually cause for celebration because it confirms that you are having the results you were expecting and your muscular system is growing healthier. Before you know it you will begin to notice a visual difference. Believe. It will happen. Keep reminding yourself you're in for the long haul.

Happy pulsing . You're doing great!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #41
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/143/130
WOE: 21 day sugar detox lover (80/15/5) keto family!
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
ok im thrilled.. I completed my 6th hour yesterday evening.
Well anywho I was in the bedroom changing into something more comfortable for my evening callanetics workout (when the kids go to bed) and since i was standing in my underwear I figured let me check out my backside and compare it to my before callanets picture.
OMG I was totally floored. How exciting! I'm deffinatly not stopping now!!!!! HOLY COW!!!! alot of the cellulite in my legs is going away, its almost like its moving up my body, I had cellulite on the backs of my legs right above my knees, but thats all gone.. the only spots I see it now is like right under my tooshie hang (which hopefully will go away eventually...
This is so exciting for me! I dont remember not ever having cellulite, from even being a teen...
I am currently doing the 21 day sugar detox (this is my third time doing it, and im 14 days in) and I have been doing Turbo Jam workouts in the morning, callanetics in the evening.
I'm going to be 33 next week so this is all part of my "33 NEW ME" mantra.
I'm so excited that a lifestyle change, and hard work is finally paying off!!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

I did the first part of the Evolution DVD, amazing feeling. For now, I have enough. I'll do my regular program later. But I can really feel those muscles. I'm a slow learner and I don't know how long it will take me to learn all these movements. But it's a great feeling. I did 45 minutes. I count this as a workout, my third this month, although I didn't finish it. Let's say, a mini-workout.

My leg is looking really ugly. I'll have to go and see a doctor. I dare not stop working out completely. I'm afraid that I will lose it, then.

For too many times in my life have I burned and crashed. Not this time! I do it easier but I won't stop. It's so good for me, mentally. Walking and Callanetics really make me happy.

Last edited by Nemia; 07-03-2013 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: found out the exact time of my workout ;-)
Old 07-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My leg is looking really ugly. I'll have to go and see a doctor. I dare not stop working out completely. I'm afraid that I will lose it, then.

For too many times in my life have I burned and crashed. Not this time! I do it easier but I won't stop. It's so good for me, mentally. Walking and Callanetics really make me happy.
All those other times you didn't have this board as a motivational resource. Give your body time to heal. Walk gently during recuperation and STUDY Callanetics for a few days while your body gets a head start on healing. You will make an even deeper mind-body connection and be absolutely amazed at how quickly your body responds on a new level when you start back in with regular sessions. I speak from experience here. We aren't going anywhere Nemia. We won't let you crash and burn. You're in this for the long haul. Heal
Old 07-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #44
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

just finished my 3rd hour for July! and my 7th hour total! woo hoo! have a happy and safe 4th everyone!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nbateman06
Start Date: June 14, 2013
I am going to try for 15 this month. 2 down so far :-)
Old 07-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: slimgorgeousme
I will be starting my Callanetics Challenge on Saturday 6th July, 2013. I intend to do Callanetics 4-5 times a week this month.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Nbateman06 and slimgeorgeousme. We're glad to have you join the challenge.

QueenBacon, I love your enthusiasm

Session 2 done this month. All through the session I kept saying "wow!". I was working on keeping my counter pulls in place and it really made a difference! When it becomes second nature for me I'll start refining the engagement of the pelvic floor. I love the way you finish a Callanetics session feeling taller, lighter, more graceful.

I always finish up my session with a long, hot shower and a brief time stretched on the bed to completely relax everything. Even if I don't feel sore (I don't really get sore anymore) I benefit greatly from the hydrotherapy. Ahh, life is sweet.

I came across a journal I started in June of 2010, the last time I practiced Callanetics. After 18 consecutive sessions I inexplicably stopped. This is the fourth or fifth attempt overall. If I had found this board then I likely would have stuck with it. I'm so addicted now I'm certain I'll continue.

Happy pulsing all

Happy 4th of July!!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
Ok, my present to myself for the 4th was to do my first session of Callanetics. I'm WAY out of shape and was kinda spooked. I was surprised, it actually wasn't as hard as I expected in some ways, but in others it was nearly impossible! Here's my problems:

I had an ankle injury, and I don't have the flexibility in it that I used to. Is there a way to mod the pelvic rotation so I'm not putting so much pressure on the ankle? Can I start higher up, sort of like the pelvic scoop but not that high?

Also, that leg lift thing, where you lean and work the hip-- am I the only person that pretty much CANNOT manage to do that? I tried, finally I ended up basically laying on the floor and managed to work it a bit. Any tips on that? I'm sure I'm screwing it up badly.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vixentobe
Welcome Newbies!
Happy 4th July US pulsers!

Domino, I don't know the answer to your first question, but the second one; you aren't alone!
In the book Callanetics for back they actually start lying down and then gradually working your way up.
2/15 for me
Old 07-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Catch me, ladies, I'm unhappy and impatient. I started a month ago - at least five times Callanetics and Walking a week. I watch what I eat (which I actually always do) and don't go lower than 1200 kcal or higher than 1400. I move a lot at home and in the garden. I go to sleep early and get up early. I'm even a bit more than a month with this regime, but let's call it a month.

Now SOMEthing should have changed, shouldn't it? A cm moved, a gram lost, jeans fitting better, something? Anything???

Nothing, I weighed and measured myself and tried on my ill-fitting jeans.

there is not the slightest, the least, the tiniest change. My fat rolls have not even started wandering. The jeans doesn't fit just like before. Centimeters have not changed, nowhere. And my weight goes up. I'm heavier now than I was a month ago. I'd happily take that if my shape was changing. It is not.

Now I'm childish like that. I took off my walking shoes and threw them into a corner. My husband made things worse (poor man, he has to listen to my crap every day) by saying: now you invested money in sport clothes, shoes, a new DVD, and you want to give up already? He meant to say: you did all this to motivate and commit yourself, so why waste it? Which is right. Of course, I took the change to leave off steam with him for thinking only of the money... shame on my.

So what do i do now? How does one keep motivation up when the body is stubbornly adverse and doesn't grant even the tiniest encouragement?

It's true, I've become fitter and I love moving and it's a value in itself. My body has been fat for many, many years and won't change magically overnight. I need more patience and I must stop making myself crazy. My head knows all this.

But emotionally, it's really quite destructive. Callanetics has always worked for me. Now, it doesn't. It does for everybody else here. It always does.

I can't understand how it's possible that I do more than the 400 stomach exercises every day and my abdomen protrudes and hangs down exactly like a month ago. What can I do except for going on and sucking up my disappointment and my fear that my body simply will. not. change...

Sorry for the rant but... :-((((
Old 07-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Nemia, hang in there. I know it's frustrating right now, but I want you to stay with it and soldier on for now. You are not the young thing you used to be and your body will take the time IT needs instead of the time you want it to take. My advice is to stop measuring, stop weighing. For one thing you may be offsetting any noticeable weight loss with corresponding muscle development which, weighing more by mass will confuse the issue. Appreciate the improved movement and look at the practice as a long term investment. As you said it took years to get this out of shape and you will have to allow your body to gently ease it's way back to health and harmony. Callanetics is a mind/body system and your thoughts have much to do with your level of success. Any movement should be "seen" internally before you go into position. Think loving and gentle guidance and incision yourself as the end result. I assure you that the more focused, relaxed and effortless you can work the better your results will be in the end, but you must allow yourself the time.

So, dig out those shoes and continue to enjoy your walks for the joy of walking alone. Continue to do Callanetics for the joy of movement and BELIEVE you are sculpting a new body, because you are. Ease off the pressure for your body to perform and let yourself find the meditative value of Callanetics. The rest will follow.

Stay with us.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Of course I will. Thank you for your kindness. I'll implement a scales moratorium.

I did a quiet day of doing nothing today. Tomorrow's another day. A day of gentle movement and positive thinking.

I will try to focus on the pleasure of movement and the meditative value, as you said. This alone is enough to love Callanetics.

Sorry for my public rant.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Of course I will. Thank you for your kindness. I'll implement a scales moratorium.

I did a quiet day of doing nothing today. Tomorrow's another day. A day of gentle movement and positive thinking.

I will try to focus on the pleasure of movement and the meditative value, as you said. This alone is enough to love Callanetics.

Sorry for my public rant.
You rant all you want. That's part of why we're here. Keep reminding yourself that you are changing from the inside out. I know you feel the changes. I assure you they will become noticeable and measurable. I always have to smile when I look in the mirror and don't yet see the svelte thing Callanetics makes me feel like because I know with certainty that the Susan I "see" in my mind is where I will end up I know that because I've done it before.

Have a wonderful day. You'll be in my thoughts big time today. I'll be sending thoughts of reassurance and peacefulness.

Last edited by susanw53; 07-05-2013 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #54
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

nemia , I'm new on this thread but if like to add something... I went most of my life with out exercise. and besides l ong walks didn't do much activity...
a couple of months ago : got started again by a co-worker, she asked me too do this challenge with her (100 squats a day for 30 days ) I love a challenge so could not say no.. well after a week I noticed a change in my butt and thighs, they didn't look better, but they looked worse! every thing got more lumpy! I wore compression garments under my clothing! ( didn't have to do that before)
well by the end of the challenge everything started to improve but first it looked so much worse! the only reason I stuck to it was because of the challenge by a co worker! sometimes you have to stick it out, things might seem to be not changing, or things may seem to be getting bigger or looking worse, but if you stick to it for the long run it will pay off!

it's the same thing with removing paint from old furniture, someone gives you a horrid green end table, you use paint remover, scrape away the green, and on the way you see an ugly orange, blue, hot pink, and silver before you get to that beautiful hard cherry wood...
Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168... 153(March)/152.8/~145 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Now SOMEthing should have changed, shouldn't it? A cm moved, a gram lost, jeans fitting better, something? Anything???

Nothing, I weighed and measured myself and tried on my ill-fitting jeans.

Centimeters have not changed, nowhere. And my weight goes up. I'm heavier now than I was a month ago.

It's true, I've become fitter and I love moving and it's a value in itself.
I want you to read the above. Then reread it.

You have gained weight, but you're measurements haven't changed, and for some reason you feel more fit? I'd say that equals muscle gain and fat loss. And that in itself is a BIG thing. Congratulations!

So this is what I'm going to suggest to you... Step away from the scale (hide it somewhere), put your tape measure away for another month and just go with it. Focus on how you feel. Don't think about fat loss or trying to fit into those pants that tell you how big you are or aren't, just do, and enjoy. I've had moments in the past where nothing seemed to be happening. That's when I had the largest sudden changes later on.

And be nice to you!!!! Okay?

newbies!!!

One more hour for me!!!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 109 hours (6/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vixentobe
Nemia are you sure you're supposed to being as little as 1200 -1400 calories? You may need to eat more depending on your height and weight.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

A few things were different for me today....

As expected, I wasn't quite as strong, so the leg exercises were more strenuous for me. However, I am more flexible! When I started in March, My knee was bent just as much as she shows with the arch on the bar for those who can't straighten their legs, and now my knee is probably a good 4-5 inches lower and my leg that much straighter, although not completely straight.

Also, my "elephant knees" are spreading to the lower portion of my knees, and I can also see a 'v' forming on my shin below my knee. The wrinkle of the elephant knee is also coming up onto my inner thigh in certain positions. I'm thinking of this with a positive mind, that I'm going to recognise my knees again one day, the same way I recognise my face again.

And, despite my calf not changing in measurements, I thought about it, and I think it might be higher than it was, because I'm starting to see a slight indent beneath it, as in definition that was not there.

Happy pulsing everyone!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 16th April 2013
H everyone

I'm a bit late starting this month but finally got off the ground with 1/10 for July.
Nemia Just want to offer encouragement to keep going and ditto what everyone else has said really. Be kind and patient with yourself
I'm interested in the 21 sugar detox idea - haven't heard of this before - don't think it is well known in England but have found this book on Amazon.co.uk Fuel Fantastic Sugar Cleanse: Free Yourself of Sugar's...Fuel Fantastic Sugar Cleanse: Free Yourself of Sugar's... Is this similar?

Hope everyone is doing well.
Jigglebuster -every new sign of definition or contouring of the body is fantastic and a great motivator -not just for you but all of us as well!

Happy pulsing everyone
Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #59
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

4th hour for july and 8th hour total! WOOHOO I feel great!
I walked 30k steps yesterday and we are actually getting ready to do another long walk.
Keepfitbrit, check out my blog on the top is the link for the sugar detox. Right now its an ebook and I think the hard copy will be coming out in sept or oct followed by a cook book in the following months.
Considering, I already want to get the hard copy even though I have the ebook. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
My before pictures look like poop.. I honestly can't wait to post my after 10 hour photos...
And my weight hasn't changed either I find that every 10lbs I get kind of stuck for a while.
Anyone else notice this?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

I didn't see what suan wrote for you Nemia, so sorry for the redundancy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
I had an ankle injury, and I don't have the flexibility in it that I used to. Is there a way to mod the pelvic rotation so I'm not putting so much pressure on the ankle? Can I start higher up, sort of like the pelvic scoop but not that high?
If you are able to lay your foot flat, then yes, just rise up a bit, so more of the pressure goes toward your knees. If the position, without moving aggravates your ankle, try putting a towel under it.

Really, if you can find a position, in any of the exercises that is meant to be what she's showing you, and you're doing what you can, what you'll notice is, you will slowly actually get your body into the position as your body gets stronger and heals. So find the closest thing your body is capable of doing. In a couple sessions see if you can get closer, and again, until your body says it's okay. The point is to listen to your body, not your mind. You'll get there!
Closed Thread