Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Amanda, it sounds like you're doing it right. As you get stronger and more familiar with the movements your form will evolve, but if you're feeling the stretch in the calves, hamstrings, inner thighs and through the spine as you gently stretch along that counterpull through the crown of your head you are getting the right results. Curling the pelvis naturally engages the abs and they work to stabilize you. Be sure to keep the elbows relaxed. I'm not surprised you feel like you've done push ups since you're doing a nice plank for the entire movement. I had a lot of difficulty getting this one when I first began but I love it now.

I'm excited for you. August will be amazing.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #302
odo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: odo
Stats: 148
WOE: none
Start Date: 2003, 07/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Amanda, it sounds like you're doing it right. As you get stronger and more familiar with the movements your form will evolve, but if you're feeling the stretch in the calves, hamstrings, inner thighs and through the spine as you gently stretch along that counterpull through the crown of your head you are getting the right results. Curling the pelvis naturally engages the abs and they work to stabilize you. Be sure to keep the elbows relaxed. I'm not surprised you feel like you've done push ups since you're doing a nice plank for the entire movement. I had a lot of difficulty getting this one when I first began but I love it now.

I'm excited for you. August will be amazing.
Thanks Susan, I was a bit worried about doing it wrong

Amanda
Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #303
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kb910
Stats: current 166 Goal 120
WOE: Keto Zero Carb/ AdvoCare
Start Date: 11/2012
Calf stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by odo View Post
Can not wait for August to get started

I have a question, the calf stretch exercise with the barr, I stand back from the barr at full arm length and then an additional foot and I can feel the stretch in the calf muscle -

Amanda
Amanda,
Which DVD are you doing? I do the 10/10 and that one doesnt sound familiar??? The only ones I can think of with the legs and bar I dont hear her say to move back an extra foot.... I am interested to see if you are doing a different one, which one it is, I may order that one
Old 07-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #304
odo
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb910 View Post
Amanda,
Which DVD are you doing? I do the 10/10 and that one doesnt sound familiar??? The only ones I can think of with the legs and bar I dont hear her say to move back an extra foot.... I am interested to see if you are doing a different one, which one it is, I may order that one
I just had a panic then and had to check to make sure about the stepping back a foot LOL but I was right.
I don't have any DVDs, I am working from the book 'Complete Callanetics' published in 1993.
It is stretch #6 :
"(stretches the calves, hamstrings, inner thighs and spine). Stand facing a wall or barre, an arm's length away and place your hands on it at waist level, if possible, but no higher than shoulder level. Step back 1 foot. Keep your feet together, facing the wall. Relax your shoulders and arms and keep your elbows straight. Without moving your left leg, lift your right knee to a height midway between the groin and knee of your left leg. Push your left heel into the floor. Tighten your behind and tip pelvis upward. Gently move your pelvis and hips forward as a unit, keeping your elbows straight but not locked."

Does that help?

Amanda

Last edited by odo; 07-31-2013 at 02:11 PM..
Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #305
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odo View Post
I just had a panic then and had to check to make sure about the stepping back a foot LOL but I was right.
I don't have any DVDs, I am working from the book 'Complete Callanetics' published in 1993.
It is stretch #6 :
"(stretches the calves, hamstrings, inner thighs and spine). Stand facing a wall or barre, an arm's length away and place your hands on it at waist level, if possible, but no higher than shoulder level. Step back 1 foot. Keep your feet together, facing the wall. Relax your shoulders and arms and keep your elbows straight. Without moving your left leg, lift your right knee to a height midway between the groin and knee of your left leg. Push your left heel into the floor. Tighten your behind and tip pelvis upward. Gently move your pelvis and hips forward as a unit, keeping your elbows straight but not locked."

Does that help?

Amanda

Yes thank you I thought maybe I was doing something wrong in the 10/10 DVD by not seeing this LOL. I will try that stretch out!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #306
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cristal7629
Overdoing it?

Hi everyone! I haven't counted but I've done around 13-14 hours of Callanetics this month and I've seen very minimal change, infact my legs have actually and love handles have gotten larger and I've gained 5 lbs. I know callan talks about weight gain but I've gained girth aswell right now I do a session (sometimes two in a day) every other day, is this too much? I'm 5"9 and 120 lbs by the way(but under muscled and flabby) also I have a lot of trouble doing the "hips and behind" exercises if that makes any difference. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #307
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristal7629 View Post
Hi everyone! I haven't counted but I've done around 13-14 hours of Callanetics this month and I've seen very minimal change, infact my legs have actually and love handles have gotten larger and I've gained 5 lbs. I know callan talks about weight gain but I've gained girth aswell right now I do a session (sometimes two in a day) every other day, is this too much? I'm 5"9 and 120 lbs by the way(but under muscled and flabby) also I have a lot of trouble doing the "hips and behind" exercises if that makes any difference. Thanks everyone!
Are you on any type of eating plan? Callanetics wont work by itself, you have to have some kind of healthy diet to compliment it and see the actual fat go down whilst gaining muscle. Personaly I am on the ketogenic diet and am seeing great results after only 6 hours.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #308
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Are you on any type of eating plan? Callanetics wont work by itself, you have to have some kind of healthy diet to compliment it and see the actual fat go down whilst gaining muscle. Personaly I am on the ketogenic diet and am seeing great results after only 6 hours.
Well I eat paleo and I'm not eating at a defect because if I lose any more weight ill be classified as underweight
Old 07-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #309
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Well I eat paleo and I'm not eating at a defect because if I lose any more weight ill be classified as underweight
No, I am not saying to lose weight, I am saying to lose fat and gain muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat and if you have gained 5 lbs then that could be muscle. But if you're not losing fat then the muscle will simply pushout the fat even further giving you the appearance of gaining inches/weight. One other thing to look at is water weight. Are you having to deal with TOM? and are you drinking your weight/2 in ounces a day?
Ex. 120/2=60 oz minimum of water each day.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #310
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
No, I am not saying to lose weight, I am saying to lose fat and gain muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat and if you have gained 5 lbs then that could be muscle. But if you're not losing fat then the muscle will simply pushout the fat even further giving you the appearance of gaining inches/weight. One other thing to look at is water weight. Are you having to deal with TOM? and are you drinking your weight/2 in ounces a day?
Ex. 120/2=60 oz minimum of water each day.
No actually i became fairly underweight not long ago and lost my period altogether and I'm waiting for it to return. I do bloat a lot though. I drink around 2L of water a day, often more. I know Callanetics works because my mom did it for years and had a gorgeous body but I'm just feeling so discouraged!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
Cristal - great advice from Susan

When you start a new type of exercise, especially if you are lacking muscle in the first place, your muscles will 'swell' with fluid as they work hard to increase strength in a short period of time. This WILL make you weigh more and look bigger in the short term until the muscles release the water and let go. You can minimise this short term effect if it worries you by drinking plenty of water, by only working out once each workout day and also by allowing yourself 2-3 days recovery time between sessions. I've not gained any weight but despite a strict diet I've stopped losing weight with the Callanetics and my water retention problem has worsened. I know it's only a short term effect and I'm allowing my body to hold onto the water it needs, drinking plenty, pushing on through feeling confident it will soon pass.

Water weight is horrible I know. I went to do a sneaky measure myself this morning in prep for the August thread and my waist is 5 (yes FIVE) inches bigger this morning than I was at 20 hours, but I know it's water as my fingers and boobs are also swollen, plus it's just physically impossible to gain enough weight for 5 inches of waist growth in 4 days when I last measured. I'll probably pee most of it out over the next day or two and go right back to normal.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #312
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahviya
Stats: 215
Start Date: May, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
Ahviya I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell! I've got a friend with Crohn's disease and it really does knock you for six. She swears by coconut (water which is rehydrating, fruit which is delicious and nutritious and the fat for lining/soothing the gut), she practically lives on it. Be kind to yourself and 8 is still really good for the month even if you aren't well enough to achieve anything more in July.

Thank you for the advice. My friend Isabella is a nutritionist and has helped me maintain without taking medication for 5 years. This is the first flare up in 2 years. I have tried the coconut water but find it is too sweet for me. Even th all natural one's. That comes from cutting down on my sugar intake for so long that sweet stuff tastes awful.

I am glad tha I ateast reached 8 hours this month. I know I will try harder next month just setting my goal a little lower.

THANK YOU ALL for your kind words of wisdom and encouragement.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #313
odo
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
Cristal - great advice from Susan

When you start a new type of exercise, especially if you are lacking muscle in the first place, your muscles will 'swell' with fluid as they work hard to increase strength in a short period of time. This WILL make you weigh more and look bigger in the short term until the muscles release the water and let go. You can minimise this short term effect if it worries you by drinking plenty of water, by only working out once each workout day and also by allowing yourself 2-3 days recovery time between sessions. I've not gained any weight but despite a strict diet I've stopped losing weight with the Callanetics and my water retention problem has worsened. I know it's only a short term effect and I'm allowing my body to hold onto the water it needs, drinking plenty, pushing on through feeling confident it will soon pass.

Water weight is horrible I know. I went to do a sneaky measure myself this morning in prep for the August thread and my waist is 5 (yes FIVE) inches bigger this morning than I was at 20 hours, but I know it's water as my fingers and boobs are also swollen, plus it's just physically impossible to gain enough weight for 5 inches of waist growth in 4 days when I last measured. I'll probably pee most of it out over the next day or two and go right back to normal.
Zula, that's what happens when you do a sneaky waist check before you are due to do one!

Sound advice from Zula and Susan, Cristal. Don't panic!

I have the odd panic attack but I now laugh, yes laugh at my body
I had to measure and look at my body yesterday as I took measurements for August (first time taking measurements), all measurements look good apart from the waist and belly...they are HUGE, so that is where the rest of my body that I am working has pushed all the fat hoping I will be easier on them !!
I must look really misshaped at the moment but I have only just started the butt exercises so the fat will have to find somewhere else to go! (eviction notice is being drawn up)
I have lost no weight in 3 weeks but I am being positive in that I must be putting muscle on which means I must be losing fat in order for my weight not to change.
I am not going to look at weight or measurements now until after I have completed the 10/10. (I have seen changes and tightening of different areas of my body in the mirror when I have caught a glimpse of it but I can also see the belly and hip problem . . . so I try not to look...I know I am a coward!!).

My goal apart from number of sessions to complete is doing each exercise to the fullest, i.e. with the stretch I initially wanted to get my forehead to touch my knee, achieved, now I am stretching further trying to see if I can get my boobs to touch my knee and my head 1/2 down my calf
I am trying to forget about weight and measurements and just let them come (I find I panic less and 'enjoy' the exercise more.)

Sorry for the waffle.

Amanda
Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #314
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/?/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
I have done 14 hours of Callanetics for July. It would have been more, but my narcolepsy attacked the last few days. However, I'm quite pleased with what I've done. Yay!

Quote:
cristal7629! And congrats on the hours of Callanetics!

As Susan said, your body composition is just being redistributed. This is a good thing, so I wouldn't worry about the gains at this point. It's about getting your body to what is healthy for your body, which, doesn't always match what you're envisioning, especially if you've weighed less than that and are used to seeing your body that way.

It's all good, don't worry!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 184 hours (8/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 08-01-2013 at 04:52 AM..
Closed Thread