Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #271
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pease Pudding
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Sept 2009
Hi, a newbie here!

Very, very inspiring reading all your posts (I had a spare 2 hours!). I have just re-discovered Callanetics (had heard of it years ago but didn't think I'd have the patience to do it in those days). I ordered the 10/10 DVD last week and can't wait to receive it (wondering if I should get the book too?).

I started the waist whittler exercise this week (from online video) and already feeling tauter but will not measure for a while yet (when I started getting trimmer with less carbs and Zumba classes (started August 2012) - waist didn't change at all!). I am an apple shape and my waist is the very last to slim... but unfortunately to get to that point I would have to let the rest of my body (and face) get very thin, i.e. scrawny - not a good look when older!!

The rest of me could certainly also do with toning and I think Callanetics might be the way for me, as I have much more patience - and time - these days. I am also going to re-start using upper body weights - had been struggling to get re-motivated.

PP

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Zula

You are getting amazing results! This is testimony to the benefits of a strong mind/body connection while exercising. Keep Super in the regular rotation. You're our poster girl for the day.

I loved your post about doing Super. It brought back wonderful memories. I kept thinking about how it will feel to be able to do those again. It is shocking how many posters over the years had been that advanced and then abandoned the practice for so long that now we're back at the beginning. Thankfully we know from experience that we will once again get there. Please don't make our mistake. Keep Callanetics in your life, if only once a week when you hit a maintenance level. Your body will thank you for it later in life. In over 25 years I have seen no other program do what Callanetics does without any fear of injury. Just look at how far Jigglebuster has come. Look at how much progress I have made in a short 2 1/2 months. This is only the beginning.

jigglebuster, WOW!!

Things are moving beautifully for you. I'm so thrilled for the changes. Slowly but surely, gently and patiently. Thank you for the encouragement. I went back and read your past posts and took your advice yesterday. As I got into position I felt for Zula's releasing thoughts and then listened to you telling me to search out the tension and release it before I pulsed. It really is amazing how we hide that tension all over. I also made myself find the sweet spot in each movement instead of over stretching and forced myself to limit the session to ONLY 10/10. In the end the back is almost completely pain free and movement is a great relief from yesterday morning.

Gained a 1/2 lb. this week. No changes in my eating (everyone else here lost weight ). A sign of big changes ahead. Happy pulsing.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #273
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kb910
Stats: current 166 Goal 120
WOE: Keto Zero Carb/ AdvoCare
Start Date: 11/2012
I did my 20 min quick workout last night, Was too tired after a whole day running around with my daughter and going to the zoo, to do the whole hour. Up to 5 hrs for July or 1/2 of july at least. Aiming at the 10hrs. also down 4 lbs in last week! Cant wait to get to hour 10 and remeasure!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zula
Stats: 140/113/100
WOE: Raw vegan trying for moderate carbs
Welcome to PP!

Thanks Susan! I think the clearest thing to me is that it is, without a shadow of doubt, the Callanetics which is making a difference to my measurements as I have not lost even as much as 0.2lb of weight since I started. In the areas where I don't naturally carry body fat (such as my legs) I can see such amazing definition of my muscles. I'm hooked. My next goal is to get to 40 hours keeping up the pace and then I will consider settling into a more maintainable (time wise, my horses are enjoying a rather relaxing period at the moment!) long term routine. I would like to get to the point where I can do 10/10 twice a week and super perhaps 1/2 times per week. I am investing as much as possible now to help kick start and to create good habits going forwards into the future.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:01 AM   #275
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pease Pudding
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Sept 2009
Sorry all - I meant to put my previous message in the main Callanetics before and after photos thread! You can tell I'm a newbie..... Don't know how/if I can move it, so will just copy it over.

Although I have just started Callanetics, July is almost over now so will hope to join the August challenge.

PP
Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 AM   #276
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahviya
Stats: 215
Start Date: May, 2013
Just finished hour 8 for this month. I won't meet the challenge that I set for this month. My Chrone's disease flared up so bad last Wednesday, that I spent the rest of the week in bed with major abdominal pain. Doing callanetics this morning was tough but I got through. I figure I will do callanetics Tuesday & Wednesday also just to get in more hours. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahviya View Post
Just finished hour 8 for this month. I won't meet the challenge that I set for this month. My Chrone's disease flared up so bad last Wednesday, that I spent the rest of the week in bed with major abdominal pain. Doing callanetics this morning was tough but I got through. I figure I will do callanetics Tuesday & Wednesday also just to get in more hours. Hope everyone is doing well.
Feel better Ahviya. Being able to get in a session will surely help you get moving smoothly again. Take care.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/209.9/145 5'4" 34 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 2014
I won't meet my goal this month. I was at an outdoor festival all day on Saturday, and yesterday I was beyond sore in my legs/feet. Not sure exactly why, but I have a feeling it was my footwear. I think my walking shoes have given up, as I've used them quite a bit. I was too sore yesterday to even think about Callanetics, but I plan to do it again every day for the rest of the month (three days). I am still pretty sore today, but maybe this will help me feel better.

As for everyone else, you are doing great, as per usual!! Keep it up - the month's almost through!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168... 153(March)/???/~145 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
This is crazy!

So yesterday was my parkour day, but I still felt like doing and did my hour of Callanetics. I had so much energy I was thinking I could do more, but I know when to stop.

Something I noticed while getting ready for parkour, was seen while I had my head upside down while combing my hair.... Elephant wrinkles! Only they weren't just on my knees, but went 6 inches up my thighs! It's not so noticeable except in the bathroom lighting, until I touch my leg. As soon as I do that, my skin just collapses into wrinkles. But in the natural light of the bathroom, there's hundreds of lines going across and some dimples too.

This is cRazy!

Ahviya, you've still done well. And yes, I think doing some sort of movement will help balance out that body of yours. just be gentle.

Jen, Good stuff!

Susan, good to hear you slowed it down a bit and feel a bit better. Keep listening to your body, it'll know when you're ready for more.

And thanks! I might have even lost more than I thought, because I started my period that very night too, and I know I gain for that. Oh well, I'm not too concerned about those numbers at this point.

Zula! great results!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 176 hours (19/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #280
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Feel better Ahviya. Being able to get in a session will surely help you get moving smoothly again. Take care.
Thank you Susan. Today was my first day back at work and I feel like I was run over by a Mack truck. I am sure it will get easier once I get back into my groove.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #281
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post

Ahviya, you've still done well. And yes, I think doing some sort of movement will help balance out that body of yours. just be gentle:
I can't believe it took longer to do as I kept readjusting myself for correct positioning. I will take my time getting back into it. I figure if I get half of the 10/10 done on Tuesday & Wednesday it will help me get back into my callanetics mood.

You all are so wonderful in your encouraging words of support. They truly MEAN ALOT to me.
Have a good night and happy pulsing everyone

Last edited by Ahviya; 07-29-2013 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Ahviya I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell! I've got a friend with Crohn's disease and it really does knock you for six. She swears by coconut (water which is rehydrating, fruit which is delicious and nutritious and the fat for lining/soothing the gut), she practically lives on it. Be kind to yourself and 8 is still really good for the month even if you aren't well enough to achieve anything more in July.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Ahviya, my ex-husband has Crohn's disease. I felt so badly for him every time it flared. I can't imagine the horrible agony it can cause.

Okay, another hour complete. 12.5/20.

Have a great day everyone!!
Old 07-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #284
Senior LCF Member

My body is screaming at me to take a break and yesterday I decided to listen. Hard to do when the abdominal region is just starting to respond, but the incredible discomfort in the complete right side of my back insists. I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. The left side of my back is fine. The entire right side is constantly on the verge of spasm, all the way around my ribcage. It feels like there's a knot between my right scapula and my spine, only there isn't. I feel like a walking tooth ache.

Anyway, I'm in for the long haul so I can afford to be extra gentle for a week and begin again next month. 10 sessions in a month is bonus time for me. I spent the day reclaiming the wood my husband and I had used to build a waterbed frame 31 years ago and repurposing it into a TV stand for the living room. He really enjoyed being the center of my world for the whole day. : ) I'll spend the time practicing engaging the pelvic floor and studying. Trying not to miss my sessions too much.

I'm so proud of everyone. Keep it up.
Happy pulsing all.

Last edited by susanw53; 07-30-2013 at 04:41 AM.. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 07-30-2013, 04:56 AM   #285
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I been slacking! Saturday I ran in a 5k do I didn't do callanetics.. Sunday was my rest day but I logged like 17k steps on my bodybugg... yesterday I had plans on doing callanetics and chalean extreme burn circuit 1 but my intestines had another plan lol... no working of for me yesterday! still loved like 13k steps on my bodybugg.... this morning I did turbo jam, this evening id like to do chalean extreme and then callanetics...... no no no tonight I WILL DO IT! WOO HOO

zula great job btw keep up the good work!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBacon View Post
I been slacking! Saturday I ran in a 5k do I didn't do callanetics.. Sunday was my rest day but I logged like 17k steps on my bodybugg... yesterday I had plans on doing callanetics and chalean extreme burn circuit 1 but my intestines had another plan lol... no working of for me yesterday! still loved like 13k steps on my bodybugg.... this morning I did turbo jam, this evening id like to do chalean extreme and then callanetics...... no no no tonight I WILL DO IT! WOO HOO

zula great job btw keep up the good work!
And only you would call that slacking! You have the energy of an athlete.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
My body is screaming at me to take a break and yesterday I decided to listen. Hard to do when the abdominal region is just starting to respond, but the incredible discomfort in the complete right side of my back insists. I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. The left side of my back is fine. The entire right side is constantly on the verge of spasm, all the way around my ribcage. It feels like there's a knot between my right scapula and my spine, only there isn't. I feel like a walking tooth ache.

Anyway, I'm in for the long haul so I can afford to be extra gentle for a week and begin again next month. 10 sessions in a month is bonus time for me. I spent the day reclaiming the wood my husband and I had used to build a waterbed frame 31 years ago and repurposing it into a TV stand for the living room. He really enjoyed being the center of my world for the whole day. : ) I'll spend the time practicing engaging the pelvic floor and studying. Trying not to miss my sessions too much.

I'm so proud of everyone. Keep it up.
Happy pulsing all.

Oh no Susan! Do you have a history of back problems? If your sure you've not done anything which may require medical review you could try this, apologies if I'm telling you something you may already know!

When there is a tight muscle somewhere which you let off and it then returns it means it's compensating for a different muscle which isn't working properly. If you don't get the 'lazy' muscle working then the tight muscle will continue to hold on because it's doing the job of the 'lazy' muscle as well as your own. It's important to find out what is stretched in order to shorten it up so when you let the tight muscle off you can work in balance.

If you stand with your pelvis, back and shoulders against the wall, you will have to have your legs slightly in front of you and with a slight bend in your knees, tuck your chin in slightly to lengthen the back of your neck. Close your eyes and take a few deep slow breaths. Work your way up your body feeling for any imbalances in your posture. Is one side of your pelvis higher than the other? Can you physically not get one side against the wall but the other side touches? Can you feel more contact on one side of your back with the wall? And how about your shoulders? Do you feel they are being pushed forwards by the wall? Or perhaps it feels like your leaning back to get them to touch? Do they touch equally? Is one higher than the other? How straight is your head? Do you tilt or rotate your head slightly in one direction more than the other?

The area you are describing sounds like rhomboids, to stretch it out in isolation if you take your right arm straight out in front of you and then across the body, your left arm then comes under and extends past your right and your left forearm loops over your right forearm/elbow to pull it into the body to extend the stretch. If this is difficult/painful then it could well be rhomboid causing the problem. Photo of stretch courtesy of google: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rh...hp%3B384%3B288

Last edited by Zula; 07-30-2013 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: typing errors
Old 07-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Zula, you and I will figure this out. : ) When we get back from our dr. appt. I will try to reason it out. I think you're spot on but I can't think of where it's out of balance. Thanks for the help.

Later.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #289
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Virago
Stats: 196/168/126
WOE: No diet plan, just eating sensibly
Hi all,
Have been doing 10 in 10, about half of all reps, and it's going great. My abs are feeling it for sure!
I'm fitting in Classical Stretch most mornings, and the "Scientific 7-Minute Workout" (which I run through 2x so no, it's *not* 7 minutes, lol) every other day. The weather here has been really nice so I'm also walking a lot.

I'm sorry I have to run and don't have time to stay online today, but congratulations to everyone, and ((hugs)) to those who need 'em. xo
Stay well!

Last edited by Virago; 07-30-2013 at 08:31 AM..
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #290
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 16th April 2013
Hi everyone

Well done Virago!

Just finished my 10th session this month of Evo so that is 10/10 for me. I'm really happy I've reached my target this month.

Great work this month from everybody and thank you for such a motivational and inspiring thread.

Happy pulsing!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:46 AM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Well done keepfitbrit!

Susan - how is your back?

I've managed two more 10/10 and one more super since Sunday so I'm up to 24 hours in total, and 24 hours for July. I'm delighted and looking forward to seeing what Callanetic changes August brings!
Old 07-31-2013, 03:44 AM   #292
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBacon View Post
17.5 total and 13.5 for July woo hoo!
I can't wait to take more pix at 20 hrs!
18.5 total, and 14.5 for July! Yay I'm satisfied! can't wait to start August! ( but I'm not ready for summer to be over!)
Old 07-31-2013, 03:56 AM   #293
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

ok I think I'm going to try to get in another half hour by the end of the day so I can have even hours lol
Old 07-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #294
Senior LCF Member

Another hour complete - 13.5/20. A last hour tonight to bring my total to 14.5/20. I'm not disappointed with that at all, but I think next month I am not going to make a number goal. I just plan to keep up with this consistently. It keeps me sane, and makes me feel good, and that's all the benefit I need!

To all who have met their goals this month: good job!!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
Well done keepfitbrit!

Susan - how is your back?

I've managed two more 10/10 and one more super since Sunday so I'm up to 24 hours in total, and 24 hours for July. I'm delighted and looking forward to seeing what Callanetic changes August brings!
Your energy is amazing! Completing 24 sessions this month is great! This next month is going to astound you.

I took your advice and did a body inventory, looking for differences in alignment. For the most part I'm ok, but I did notice a tendency to hold my right side at the ready, almost like I'm preparing to dash off. I believe this may be latent tension from the many brushes with death my husband had last year. He's much more stable now and it's past time for me to let it all go. It's ironic in a way - previously when I began a run of Callanetics I would always get sick about a week or so in. I now realize that was due to the release of toxins. This time I avoided that challenge only to be smacked down by this. It's only a temporary hold and in the meantime I've decided that the pain was eminating from the rhomboids, as you suggested, and started doing some sweet stretches using a door jam and working at eye level, shoulder level and waist level to get all the fibers. The response was immediate and wonderful. I promised myself I would wait until Saturday to do my next session of Callanetics . Hey, I could be addicted to something terrible, so I'll take my pulsing addiction any day.

I'm also planning to go back to my old schedule of Callanetics on Mondays and Thursdays with walking on the off days and Sundays free. We live along the Monongahela River and I have a nice 4 mile path that goes through a local shopping area and follows the banks that calls me. Tomorrow I get new walking shoes and head out. It will also help me drop the weight faster which will be a great bonus. I haven't walked like that for over 4 years (I think - so long I can't remember). If memory serves me right I stopped because my left knee began to give me grief and I chalked it up to old age creeping in. That just pisses me off! I refuse to simply "grow old" !!! I'm looking forward to those lovely 4- mile walks. With all the Callanetics sessions behind me my body is stronger now than it was then.

It's worth noting that without this thread I might have convinced myself that I was just trying to do too much and why even continue with Callanetics? As it is we solved the mystery and no real setback occurred.

Everyone did really well this month. Looking forward to the new challenge.
Happy pulsing
Old 07-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Glad you've managed to sort it out Susan. It can be so therapeutic to stretch out when you have emotional things stored in tight muscles! If you are getting a nice relief when you stretch your rhomboid then it is, without a shadow of a doubt, at least part of the tightness. Let's hope this cracks it!

I have actually done 23 sessions, but I've counted the two 'supers' as 1.5 each. Is that right?

Between 0 and 20 hours I managed to drop a dress size, which I'm delighted with. I'm so excited to see what the next month brings!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverrain View Post
Another hour complete - 13.5/20. A last hour tonight to bring my total to 14.5/20. I'm not disappointed with that at all, but I think next month I am not going to make a number goal. I just plan to keep up with this consistently. It keeps me sane, and makes me feel good, and that's all the benefit I need!

To all who have met their goals this month: good job!!
Good plan Jen. I always have to go back to check the numbers because I lose count. My plan is also to simply be consistent because I gain so many benefits and I feel complete with it in my life. My goal from this point on is to be consistent with at least twice a week. I'll be watching for your regular posts.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
Glad you've managed to sort it out Susan. It can be so therapeutic to stretch out when you have emotional things stored in tight muscles! If you are getting a nice relief when you stretch your rhomboid then it is, without a shadow of a doubt, at least part of the tightness. Let's hope this cracks it!

I have actually done 23 sessions, but I've counted the two 'supers' as 1.5 each. Is that right?

Between 0 and 20 hours I managed to drop a dress size, which I'm delighted with. I'm so excited to see what the next month brings!
Anyone who has ever done Super would agree that it's like doing double 10/10 sessions so no one will quibble with your count. . You could just count it as sessions instead of hours. I stopped using a DVD long ago so my sessions are quite a bit longer. It's the consistency that matters rather than the hours of practice. You obviously have the consistency and passion down.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #299
odo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: odo
Stats: 148
WOE: none
Start Date: 2003, 07/2013
Can not wait for August to get started
I now have all but 3 exercises practiced (just have 3 to added to the session and then I will be doing the full session - and they are the 3 exercises I love. my treat for getting the butt exercises mastered).
I will be doing my first full session tomorrow morning

I am also doing a walking challenge for August of 90 miles (keeping my average speed at least 3 miles per hour) Spent the last 8 days practicing and it is achievable.

I have been reading this thread everyday and feel inspired by you all!! I will try to post regularly on my ups and downs throughout August.

I have a question, the calf stretch exercise with the barr, I stand back from the barr at full arm length and then an additional foot and I can feel the stretch in the calf muscle - great...I tighten my behind, tilt my pelvis forward, raise my leg and pulse from there, but I am also feeling my abs working and when I finish the stretch, I feel like I have just done some push ups because my elbows hurt as well. If the chest of draws were on a polished surface I am sure I would push it all around the room as I seem to lean on them terribly! Is this normal and will go after a while or am I positioning myself wrong ?

I have the butt exercises going well (I don't look pretty doing them but that will change! Think like a ballerina LOL!! )

I will take my various measurements later today ready for August and will re-do them after doing the complete 10/10. I might even be brave enough to take photos too...

Amanda

Last edited by odo; 07-31-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #300
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kb910
Stats: current 166 Goal 120
WOE: Keto Zero Carb/ AdvoCare
Start Date: 11/2012
Ok, did an hour on 10/10 last night after going for a power walk with the family for 1/2 an hour. That was my combined total of 6 hrs. I am going to tex next week for a business convention at the Cowboys stadium so I will be doing at least a 1 hr session a day until then (hopefully). Very Excited. Oh and even though I am the same weight at on 7/15 I have lost 5 inches overall so far.
Closed Thread