LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Heart rate question

During exercise my heart rate normally goes to 150-160... I can sustain 150 but not 160. That's fine, I'm 31, it's the upper limit to aerobic training.

Now suddenly I can't get my heart rate past 125 and that's even tiring. I don't feel I'm working at max capacity but I also feel like I'm hitting a wall. The last month or so it's been doing that to me. I also now have a resting heart rate of 48 and I think before it was higher. My body temperature is also registering low (averages 96.8F). I am suspecting I need to increase thyroid meds with all those factors combined but I don't know for sure.

Anyone have their exercising heart rate suddenly drop like that?
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: westside
Stats: Start 199/186/175
Start Date: 2/17/12
What you described lower resting heart rate and only able to exercise at a lower heart rate occurs as one of the symptoms of the parasympathetic form of overtraining syndrome.

You might want to try rest for a week and then walking. If that works you can start up at about 40% of the load.

I would never work out all the time at high end aerobic or intervals.

================================================== =======

It appears that there are two forms of the syndrome. The sympathetic form is more common in sprint type sports and the parasympathetic form is more common in endurance sports. The results from various measurements taken during exercise physiologic testing differ between the two forms, but decreased overall performance and increased perceived fatigue are similar. In the parasympathetic form there may be a lower heart rate for a given workload. Athletes training with a heart rate monitor may notice that they cannot sustain the workout at their usual "set point." Fatigue takes over and prematurely terminates the workout. Regulation of glucose can become altered and the athlete may experience symptoms of hypoglycemia during exercise.

I won't comment on all of the differences between the two forms, but one example is resting heart rate. In the sympathetic form, the resting heart rate is elevated. In the parasympathetic form, however, the resting heart rate is decreased. If this sounds confusing, then you are not alone. There is very little agreement in the literature about abnormal laboratory findings. Additionally, it is possible to have the overtraining syndrome, but have completely normal physical findings and biochemical tests. At this point, there is no single test that will confirm the presence of overtraining. The overtraining syndrome should be considered in any athlete who manifests symptoms of prolonged fatigue and performance that has leveled off or decreased. It is important to exclude any underlying illness that may be responsible for the fatigue.

================================================== ==========

Last edited by westside; 06-30-2013 at 08:52 PM..
westside is offline   Reply With Quote