Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
What's the best running/jogging strategy to lose weight while LC?

I already started my exercise routine, which consists of weight lifting and running/jogging. I am pretty confident with my weight-lifting routine; I know what I am doing and have implemented this already.

But for running...I can now jog my 20 minutes without dying, so it's time to start building a strategy for how to do it the best way to lose weight. Most of the advice I find comes from low-fat folks, so I don't know what to do. Long-slow cardio? Shorter but higher output running? Interval running? What does the research, or trusted low-carb resources, say is the best strategy for losing weight while running.

Should I build speed/hills, length, or intervals? Something else?

That's alot of questions...answer please what you can....
Thanks!
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skot123
Find the right balance for you

I recently went to the physical therapist to have a gait analysis. Every time I've tried to start running previously I end up with shin splints and related pain.

I spoke specifically about training plans (if you are running for 20 minutes non-stop this may not necessarily be right for you):

Start off running for 1 minute and then walk for 4 minutes (I have an interval timer on my phone). Do this one time a week

After a few weeks you can add a second day a week of running

Then move to 2 minutes running and 3 minutes walking

Continue this for a couple of weeks and then move to 3/2

I think the best improvement comes from high intensity interval training. (They really teach this in spin class)

Because I am running for 1 minute followed by a rest, I push myself harder than I could if I was doing a longer endurance run. At the end of each run session I aim to be gasping for breath.

I don't know that you should run just hills (unless that is what you enjoy) but I wouldn't steer away from them either.

It is important that you listen to your body to not get hurt. (At least for me that throws me to a "woe is me mode" where I eat poorly and exercise less.)

Of course the most important thing is to have fun

Scott
skot123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: suitebliss
Stats: 350/197/170(mini goal)
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/1/2012
Ease into 5k is a great app. I went from running for 60 sec to running for 30 mins straight in just 7 weeks.
suitebliss is offline   Reply With Quote