LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Everything and anything jump rope!

When it comes to exercise im more of a walker and circuit train with dumbbells type. BUT I have heard (online ) that jumping rope is a great way to lose weight and burn calories and melt off fat fast.

Does anyone here jump rope? Would u mind sharing a workout u typically do?

Any insight or feedback from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I just bought a jump rope last night! I decided to add that to my walking/biking/hula hooping cheap exercise plan. I haven't jumped rope in a long time, so I'm pretty out of practice, but once I can do it without whipping myself in the face with my rope, I'm going to start jumping rope again too!
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Ive been doing some research on jump rope workouts and it seems that the majority of jumpers advise jumping no more than 15 minutes at a time. (Seeing that i'm a person that hates to workout the shorter the workout the better as far as im concerned). Also it seems that the Tabata method of working out is the way they prefer to work out with the jump rope.

So, with all that in mind I made my own workout. My workout is as follows:

I set my timer for 10 or 15 minutes (it was 10 yesterday)
I jumped for 50 jumps
I took a breather
I jumped for 50 jumps
I took a breather and I continued this pattern until the 10 minutes were up

I was able to complete 6 sets in the allotted time so I did 300 jumps. Knowing me im probably approaching my workout totally wrong, but u know what, it's a place to start. I had a good sweat, def. got my heart rate up, def. feeling it today (sore everywhere) and will keep this up for awhile.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
Ive been doing some research on jump rope workouts and it seems that the majority of jumpers advise jumping no more than 15 minutes at a time. (Seeing that i'm a person that hates to workout the shorter the workout the better as far as im concerned). Also it seems that the Tabata method of working out is the way they prefer to work out with the jump rope.

So, with all that in mind I made my own workout. My workout is as follows:

I set my timer for 10 or 15 minutes (it was 10 yesterday)
I jumped for 50 jumps
I took a breather
I jumped for 50 jumps
I took a breather and I continued this pattern until the 10 minutes were up

I was able to complete 6 sets in the allotted time so I did 300 jumps. Knowing me im improbably approaching my workout totally wrong, but u know what, it's a place to start. I had a good sweat, def. got my heart rate up, def. feeling it today (sore everywhere) and will keep this up for awhile.

I took out the jump rope today for a cardio workout. I iumped for 15 mins this time completing 500 jumps. Got a good sweat, got a good workout I thought.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

So I took some time to surf the web and saw a clip of the 1st Lady Michelle O. going to town with a jump rope showing Dr. Oz one of her usual workouts. I was inspired and motivated by the first lady how she made it seem so simple to tackle and do. But I realized she obviously didn't start that way, like all of us she had to start somewhere. I was shocked at how uncoordinated Dr. Oz was and at the fact that I'm a much better jumper than he is.

That alone motivated me to get in a 20-minute workout bright and early this morning and it kicked-my-butt let me tell you. But I like that feeling. Let's me know I've done my body some good today.

PS: I've progressed. I've gone from the 50 hops/jumps to doing 100 hops/jumps before I take a break (takes about 2 minutes for me).

Last edited by NewestAtkinsFan; 06-25-2013 at 05:43 AM..
Old 07-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

20min jump rope workout at 1am in the morning

Decided to get a workout in before going to bed rather than wait and wake up early (7am or so) to get in a much needed workout.

I have advanced from 50 jumps to 100 jumps

The routine......

100 jumps
rest for a few
100 jumps
rest for a few
(repeat until the 20mins was up on the timer)

I lost count but it was either 750 or 850 jumps. Got a good pump going... loved it.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
Decided to get a workout in before going to bed rather than wait and wake up early (7am or so) to get in a much needed workout.

I have advanced from 50 jumps to 100 jumps

The routine......

100 jumps
rest for a few
100 jumps
rest for a few
(repeat until the 20mins was up on the timer)

I lost count but it was either 750 or 850 jumps. Got a good pump going... loved it.

Only made it too 700 today but that's okay. It's not about the number of jumps it's about getting this weight off me. LOL
Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Virago
Stats: 196/168/126
WOE: No diet plan, just eating sensibly
Wow, you've progressed very quickly; that's a lot more jumps in only a month's time!

I've always loved jumping rope but indoors I'd hit my ceiling fans so instead I cut the (weighted) handles off a jumprope and use an imaginary rope, though I realize it's not the same thing. But I'm too self-conscious to go to the park and jump rope there.
Virago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago View Post
Wow, you've progressed very quickly; that's a lot more jumps in only a month's time!

I've always loved jumping rope but indoors I'd hit my ceiling fans so instead I cut the (weighted) handles off a jumprope and use an imaginary rope, though I realize it's not the same thing. But I'm too self-conscious to go to the park and jump rope there.
Thanks for the comment. I understand completely about the self-conscious thing; I am too. I jump rope when most people r still asleep but im sure someone is peeking and getting a good laugh or better yet being inspired themself to grab a rope and jump! Coincidently, I finished a 21 minute jump rope workout followed by a 10minute walk an hour ago. ill sleep well tonight thats for sure. The cardio always improves my weight loss. It's a must for me.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
You're doing very well! Congrats.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
You're doing very well! Congrats.
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! It helps motivate me to continue.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: painted_klown
Stats: 312/298/200
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: May 07, 2008 - Re-induced 01-01-14
I just stumbled across this thread. You still doing the jump rope workouts OP?

Your progress was very inspiring, to say the leat. I had bought a jump rope at wal-mart right before last winter kicked in, so needless to say, it didn't get much use. In fact, I will have to try to hunt it down, as I stored a bunch of stuff away for the winter.

Anyway, just wondering if you were still jumping rope, and what results you saw from it.

Take care

-Dave
painted_klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
I just stumbled across this thread. You still doing the jump rope workouts OP?

Your progress was very inspiring, to say the leat. I had bought a jump rope at wal-mart right before last winter kicked in, so needless to say, it didn't get much use. In fact, I will have to try to hunt it down, as I stored a bunch of stuff away for the winter.

Anyway, just wondering if you were still jumping rope, and what results you saw from it.

Take care

-Dave

Hi. I have not jumped rope since December. With this LC WOE I can easily lose weight without the exercise, but when I do jump rope I would lose an extra 2-3lbs during the week.

My jump rope is just that... a rope (going old school style) the whole bundle of rope that I got from Walmart was under $10total. I will NEVER use all that rope in my lifetime.

As far as my workout goes, I found a Tabata workout and put it on my phone and I would jump along with the trainer (45 seconds of jumping 15 seconds of rest) for 10 minutes. Sometimes I do my own workout: I'd jump for 100 jumps (regular two-feet on the ground jumps; nothing fancy) rest.. jump for 90 jumps and rest... jump for 80 jumps and rest all the way down to 10. Rest for 3 mins and repeat the whole thing again. Or just try and get in 1000 jumps per workout.

I was able since last summer to go from a 46in waist to where I currently am now a 41 with the help of jumping rope, and low carb eating.

Hope that helps/answers any questions you had.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: painted_klown
Stats: 312/298/200
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: May 07, 2008 - Re-induced 01-01-14
Thanks for the info.

I too have heard (youtube fitness videos) that jumping rope was an excellent way to lose weight. Sadly, it was simply too late in the year to get much use from the one I bought.

The few times that I did have the chance to jump rope, I found it really difficult, to be honest. I used to jump rope all the time when I was a kid, and never had any issues. As an adult, I found it to be quickly fatiguing, and I wasn't able to get very many jumps in without messing up. LOL!

I am definitely going to have to hunt it down, and give it another shot this year.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
Thanks for the info.

I too have heard (youtube fitness videos) that jumping rope was an excellent way to lose weight. Sadly, it was simply too late in the year to get much use from the one I bought.

The few times that I did have the chance to jump rope, I found it really difficult, to be honest. I used to jump rope all the time when I was a kid, and never had any issues. As an adult, I found it to be quickly fatiguing, and I wasn't able to get very many jumps in without messing up. LOL!

I am definitely going to have to hunt it down, and give it another shot this year.

Awesome. Def. let me know if you are looking for a jump rope bud.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Update

It has been two months since I last posted here in this thread. Thought it was time for a much-needed update.

I am still jump roping/skipping rope/rope jumping-- however you want to word it. It is a blast.. or should I say fat blaster! Such an effective and simple exercise.
I usually average 1-2lbs loss on low carb, but when I include cardio with the jump rope it boosts it to 3 or more pounds a week.

For Spring and Summer 2014, I have decided to keep an activity log (it helps me visually see how much movement/exercise I'm getting and keeps me accountable.) Below is how much I have done so far in 2014 in terms of jumping rope!

Jump Rope
4/15- 15mins with a total of 600 jumps (1st workout since December '13)
4/19- 20mins of jump rope (jumped along with a Tabata workout instructor video online) if I had to guess 800-900 jumps completed
4/26- 20mins of jump rope; completed a total of 700 jumps; a 4:30am workout-- yeah, that's early, but the important thing is I got it in.
5/10- 15mins of jump rope; 600 jumps completed.
5/17- 1,000 jumps; 5 sets of 200 jumps at 3am in the morning
6/7- 10mins of jumping rope along with a video on the smartphone; roughly 750-800 jumps completed.
6/10- 5 minute challenge (I completed 376 jumps in 5 minutes)
6/11- 15mins workout (Tabata workout video on phone)

NAF
Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilypond
WOE: Celiac
I love jump rope - I have to start much shorter time than you - I skipped last year, not a lot, took me a while to work up to a minute lol, but even that much damaged my ankle enough that I could not walk let alone skip. I will start again, but muuuuuuuuuuuch less. I figure 10 jumps a few times a day to start. It is not low impact, at least not when you are heavy and ungainly. Is for those that barely leave the ground to skip.
Good luck and you are doing wonderfully
lilypond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypond View Post
I love jump rope - I have to start much shorter time than you - I skipped last year, not a lot, took me a while to work up to a minute lol, but even that much damaged my ankle enough that I could not walk let alone skip. I will start again, but muuuuuuuuuuuch less. I figure 10 jumps a few times a day to start. It is not low impact, at least not when you are heavy and ungainly. Is for those that barely leave the ground to skip.
Good luck and you are doing wonderfully
Thanks. Best wishes to you as you continue your low carb journey as well!
Old 06-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Thank you - will be glad to be able to skip again - it is such a fun thing to do - I used to be pretty good at a lot of the trick jumps ... not now lol
Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I've been out of town for the past week Sunday - today. I was able to get in 4 jump rope workouts in during the week. Here's hoping I'm well on the way of burning off some stubborn fat and calories.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:55 AM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: afrodite
Stats: 283/222/in shape
WOE: None
I too recently took up jump roping. It's very very effective, and requires very little time to improve.

The first time I did it, I could only do a total of 250 (taking like 4 breaks to get there). Within a month, I'm up to 500-600, with the same amount of breaks.

However, the most effective thing I've found is to combine it with some weight work:

1. Jump rope: 50
2. Immediately get my dumbbells and squat for 20
3. Jump 50 again
4. Squat another 20
5. Jump 50
6. Bicep curls for 20
7. Jump 50
8. Leg press for 20

And so on.

Within minutes, I'm just dripping sweat everywhere, and the next day I'm very sore (in a good way!).

Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.

Goal 1: 250 - met
Goal 2: 225 - met on Aug 1
Goal 3: 219 (99kg!) - hopefully by Aug 15
Goal 4: 199

Joined 50 lbs club as of July 5
afrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:27 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Awesome afro. Keep up the good work. If you have any other jump rope/skipping routines that you have done feel free to share them.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/130/125
WOE: Atkin'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
Thanks for posting this thread and keeping it going! I've been thinking about doing jump rope and keep forgetting. I want to build my bone density, and have heard that jump rope is good for this. Do you feel that you've built much muscle doing this, or is it primarily cardio?

Thanks!
werkn'it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by werkn'it View Post
Thanks for posting this thread and keeping it going! I've been thinking about doing jump rope and keep forgetting. I want to build my bone density, and have heard that jump rope is good for this. Do you feel that you've built much muscle doing this, or is it primarily cardio?

Thanks!
Jump rope is my main cardio (I also walk). No, I do not feel that I have build much muscle or gotten bigger. I know a lot of people worry that jumping rope will give them bulky calves, but that is not the case. If anything I have leaned out and my legs and calves have toned. So, that's why I do it-- I would rather dedicate 20 mins to jumping rope and get that lean slim look then spend an hour on the treadmill to get the "same" workout...if that makes sense. But that is just me, everyone's experience is and will be different.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Well did my ankle in again doing it - I will have to hold off on the jump rope til I am down quite a few pounds. Seems it is just too hard on my bones. So now that the ankle has heeled back to walking the dog. Slow but steady.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypond View Post
Well did my ankle in again doing it - I will have to hold off on the jump rope til I am down quite a few pounds. Seems it is just too hard on my bones. So now that the ankle has heeled back to walking the dog. Slow but steady.
Walking is a great way to exercise too. When I am not jump roping/skipping rope, I am walking 2 or more miles a day. Great job!