Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: planetbenjamin
CALLANETICS Challenge JUNE 2013

Wow! It's June already!

Let's make June a great month to get in shape.

Some of the benefits seen by Callanetics students:

Tight, lifted firm buttocks
Flatter toned abs
Long lean legs with awesome muscle definition
Lean, sculpted arms
Youthful neckline
Stronger pelvic floor
Increased flexibility
Increased strength
Restore youthful alignment and posture

Feel full of energy, vitality and empowered. There's nothing like Callanetics to safely tone and shape the body.

Callanetics is safe for everyone regardless of age and fitness level. It's particularly beneficial and safe for people with back, neck and knee issues.

Reclaim your youthful body shape by joining us for the Callanetics Challenge.

Certified Callanetics Instructors post regularly to help with any queries, modifications and intensifications.

Happy Pulsing!
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 29, 2013
I'm not familiar with callinetics, but it does sound similar to the "stretch and tone" class at my gym. The exercise type for the class is calisthenics.

At any rate, it sounds good to me as I am always looking for something new to prevent boredom. I could google, but do you have any fave links?
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 16th April 2013
Hi everyone

Thanks planetbenjamin for starting the June thread and count me in for 12-15 hours this month. If I do twelve that will be three times a week but if some weeks I can manage four then it will be a bonus.

Southernbelle -I know of the daily motion link that was suggested in another thread and it will show you Super Callanetics (advanced exercises) and will give you an idea of what it is all about.
Super Callanetics 01 - Video Dailymotion

Even with a busy week off with the kids I still managed to squeeze in another 2 hours of Evolution and maybe start off June with another hour tonight.

pqdoll I know what you mean by the pooch thing (I've the same thing) but I think a remember from my callanetics book that it is really common and I know I have weak stomach muscles that need to catch up with the rest of me as my waist is pulling in and behind rising.

Good luck to everyone this month!
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Happy June everyone. I'm with keepfitbrit on aiming for 12 in June, and hoping to get in 15.

I made a discovery by accident last night watching TV after my workout. I've been frustrated that my bad knees prevent me from doing many of the pelvic rotations where you sit on your heels without extreme pain. The video sandrahanna posted doesn't work for me either as it places too much pressure on my knees standing with knees bent at a 90 degree angle. I was sitting on my big ball, put my feet together (so I had to balance) and put my hands high over my head and did the pelvic rotations nicely that way with no pain in the knees. It was challenging to keep my feet/knees together and balance on that ball doing the rotations. Just thought I would share. Good luck everyone on meeting your June goals!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: planetbenjamin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
I'm not familiar with callinetics, but it does sound similar to the "stretch and tone" class at my gym. The exercise type for the class is calisthenics.

At any rate, it sounds good to me as I am always looking for something new to prevent boredom. I could google, but do you have any fave links?
You can see loads of clips here: Official Callanetics - YouTube
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
Start Date: May 29, 2013
kfbrit, thank you so much for the link! I have watched about half of the first clip (participated a bit too lol), and this is great!

I can't wait to mention it to my stretch and tone class instructor because some of these exercises are the same. I could never remember them all to do at home so I am pleased as punch right now with this link.
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GettingGorgeous
WOE: Clean Eater
I'm aiming for 10 in June, but hoping I can manage 12. That would make 26 or 28 in total for this year. Very excited to see more changes in my by body then!

Good luck everyone and happy pulsing!

Last edited by GettingGorgeous; 06-01-2013 at 11:55 AM..
GettingGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vixentobe
I'm in! I am aiming for 15 hours this month barring any pain flare ups I may have. I've been doing Callanetics regularly, but have realised that I may have been rushing through the exercises instead of taking my time. My goal this month is to relax into the exercises and not rush them at all.
Vixentobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
OK, I'm in. Since I plan to do them regularly 3 times a week I'm in for a goal of 12 sessions from this point (not counting yesterday's session). Good luck all.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: callangirl
Stats: 255/149/135
Start Date: July 3, 2012
Thanks for putting this up, OP. I'm in for the month of June; I'm committing to 10 sessions. I'll be adding some upper body strength training and cardio, too.

Happy pulsing to all!
callangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Vixentobe, it takes me over 90 minutes and usually closer to 2 hours per session. I take the time to rest everything completely between movements and work through the abs slowly for greatest effect. Taking that time means I can be particularly attentive to relaxing all the muscle groups that aren't supposed to be active during the movement, like my face, my neck, my lower back... You get the picture. You work deeper and get even better results. Enjoy every precious moment ��
Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Did my 1st session for this month yesterday. Planning sessions 2 & 3 for this Monday and Wednesday.

For today I have yoga and Tai Chi in mind. I have been having a bit of a stressful time lately and this helps me relax.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168... 153(March)/???/~145 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Thanks for starting the June thread PlanetBenjamin!

I'll be joining you again!

I didn't quite do what I set out to do in june, due to health problems, but I did get in ..11? I think.

So this month, I'll strive for the best I can do!

Happy pulsing everyone!!!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 06-02-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rana
Stats: Originally 168/162/135 (5'3)
WOE: Trying to eat healty
Start Date: January 2013
Thanks qpdoll and Shelley for your encouragment over at the May thread you guys are really motivating...

Shelley and keepfitbrit I am also aiming for at least 12 and anything more will be just a bonus..
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: whistlemytune
WOE: Callanetics and Pilates
Start Date: 16th May 2013
Woo! I'm back for another month.

Unfortunately, I was really ill this week and wasn't able to achieve my 6 hours in May, but am aiming for at least 8 this month. I'm going away to my grandparents' house from 16th June for a week, and may not do my 10/10 DVD, though I will take it with me just in case I get time.

Last edited by whistlemytune; 06-02-2013 at 03:59 PM..
whistlemytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vixentobe
Wow Susanw52, how many sessions do you do a week?
1/15 done. I''ve put the video on my phone now so I can do it anywhere. It helps me slow down.
Vixentobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anu.anusha1
Stats: 139/136/..
WOE: None
I have not done Callanetics in th last 3 years ... To be honest I have done nothing in the last 3 years and initially it didnt show but since my marriage ((and in India Marriage is a looooong food fest )) it pretty visible ...

I think I have to do myself a favor and start again ... though i completly lack any form of motivation and 6 days a week of 11 hrs a day work and cooking dinner doesnt leave time or energy for anything else... but I HAVE to!!!

I so I shall !! So am back on LCF and hoping that doing it with you all I will be able to go back to my 3 yr old self ((around 40 pounds to go ..... ))

i am planning to do 15 this month starting today

so count me in ....

May- 10/10 every other day!! No excuses
Total till April - 14
anu.anusha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahviya
Stats: 215
Start Date: May, 2013
Okay, I am back for another month of Callanetics ~ I am going to challenge myself more this month.

I will be doing 15 hours this month.

First hour down only 14 to go.

Although I have to admit, by bottom line is looking better after 12 hours wonder what an additional 14 hours will give me. At the end of this month, I will be posting pictures. I took them after I finished the first 10 hours and after the 15 for this month I will gladly wait to see my amazing results.

KEEP STRONG EVERYONE!!!!!!! We can do anything we set our minds too.
Ahviya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahviya View Post
KEEP STRONG EVERYONE!!!!!!! We can do anything we set our minds too.
So true Ahviya -thank you for your supportive words - I love this thread how everyone keeps everyone going

Did my 1/15 today and found it hard especially the abs as I just couldn't seem to get into the correct start up position for the ab exercise while you wave your arms at the side up and down IYKWIM. Got there in the end though

Happy pulsing everyone!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
I'll ditto what has been said about about our goals and keeping strong and PULSING this month!

I fid 1/15 today (Super) and am exhausted. My body didn't feel like a feather at all, but a beached whale! Oh my.

So fun to see how many are here, and from so many different places around the world.

Anu, I lived in India for 2.5 years so I understand the days of eating at your wedding. Bet you were an absolutely gorgeous bride!!!!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168... 153(March)/???/~145 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Did my first hour this month. It got interrupted, but I went back and finished.

I was surprised that despite my setback last month, my muscles were more relaxed, flexible and stronger than I had anticipated. That's not saying I look like Callan doing these moves, but compared to the beginning of April, definite improvement.

KeepBritfit, one day you won't even have to think and those position will just happen for you.

Anu, I too took 3 years off and came back in April. I'm glad I did, I I know you will too.

Vixentobe, I too have mine on my phone, that way I do it wherever I am. It's very convenient!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 175 hours (18/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 06-03-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Checking in for my 2nd session for this month. I actually thought I couldn't get myself to do Callanetics today, but decided to put my clothes on en promised myself to do just a little bit. After the least fun exercises were done I of course wanted to finish it.

Who knew you can trick yourself into exercise.

Only 8 more to go!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jimmychoomom
Start Date: 5/20/2013
I'm in! Just completed my first ever Callanetics hour. I am impressed how much I felt it! Aiming for 15 hours this month. Looking forward to the group support.
jimmychoomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mandiew
Aiming for 8 hours this month. 1/8 completed.
mandiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Alright guys! Good work all around. I have my first session for this month in the bag. That makes nine sessions so far this time around. I never get used to how wonderful it feels to have such control over my body and how absolutely STRONG I always feel when I'm done.

Vixentobe, I plan three sessions a week, Monday, Thursday and Saturday. At this point of my life, with no children to tend to and more free time than I've ever had I haven't missed any since I started last month. It always takes me at least 90 minutes. I figure if you're going to do something as beneficial as Callanetics you should take your time and get maximum benefits. It really is meditation in motion.

Jigglebuster, I don't know how long you've been doing them, but in my experience over the past 25 years (on and off- mostly off) I've noticed that after missing a few sessions my body almost jumps back into the practice and everything works faster. It's almost like your body thinks about it while you're on the break and then instinctively slips right back into the groove. Maybe if I'd had a support group before I'd have been more consistent. That's ok though, because I refuse to grow weaker as I get older.

Welcome Jimmychoomom. You have given yourself the best gift you could have, a chance to be stronger, tighter, more centered and more controlled than ever before. We know there's no other exercise program that will do what Callanetics does. Be kind to yourself and keep a sense of humor.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caligirl79
I've done my first 2 hours so far this month (bought the DVDs months ago but never used; all your posts inspired me to try them!) today my random lower back pain came back not sure if the ab exercises caused it-if so that sucks I'd hate to lose those..any suggestions?

(33 yr old female)
Caligirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #27
ISO
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ISO
I'm in

Hi all

I chose ISO as a user name years ago because I used to sew ALL the time. Later I found out that what the letters meant was In Search Of..... Now that was a revelation - I feel like I've always been searching for one thing or another.

I've started Callanetics and stopped so many times. I don't think I've ever done more that 5 hours. Not enough that I notice any physical change, but my strength did improve. I'm 61 and in good health except I'd like to lose 50 # or so. Time to get my body under my control.

I've been reading the threads for a few days now and decided to jump in.

Ya da, ya da..... any way I'm shooting for 15 hours (10 in 10) in June.

Last edited by ISO; 06-03-2013 at 10:51 PM..
ISO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoanW
Callanetics Question

I have just started a Callanetics rotation yesterday and really like how mindful it is--reminds me of yoga in some respects. It also made me realize how inflexible I've become. For those of you have done Callanetics for a while, did you find that things got easier from a flexibility standpoint? Also, my left knee doesn't seem to love the pretzel move (the one where your knee is bent at a right angle on the floor. The straight version doesn't affect it at all). I'm trying to figure out if there is an alternative move I can do instead which would hit the same area. Thanks everyone.
JoanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I fid 1/15 today (Super) and am exhausted. My body didn't feel like a feather at all, but a beached whale! Oh my.
That made me smile -I pleased I'm not the only one who feels like that sometimes.

I've noticed areas where I store tension during the exercises as well, and one area is my jaw. I have to mentally tell myself to relax not just my shoulders and neck, but my jaw too - does anybody else have this?

Anyway just finished 2/15 this month and might do cardio callanetics tomorrow.

Jimmychoomom, ISO, Caligirl and JoanW

Last edited by keepfitbrit; 06-04-2013 at 01:34 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: littlepeach
Hello everybody!

I didn't post for a while, but read every post and am so glad to see so many new Callanetic-fans!
I really enjoy this board so much, it always helps me to keep on track.
You are all so motivating.

I try to do at least 12 sessions of 10/10 this month. 2 already finished, tonight I will do a short pm-workout.

One thing I noticed, maybe it could be interesting for someone who experiences something similar:
The traditional stomach-exercises from 10/10 made my tummy getting bigger and bigger.
Frightening... No idea why, maybe I do something wrong.
So a few weeks ago I tried the exercises from Evo - and first I couldn't believe it: It works! I can see my stomach becoming slimmer and I am not looking pregnant anymore.
Now I enjoy my exercise even more.

Happy pulsing everybody, and enjoy the changes in your body!
littlepeach is offline   Reply With Quote