Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168... 153(March)/152.8/~145 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Good post Jigglebuster. I didn't realize I had insinuated that while pulsing you continue to stretch towards the floor. What I meant is that after regular sessions of getting to your full stretch and then controlled pulsing you will soon discover that when you begin the stretching sequence in future sessions you will eventually find that your full stretch gets you to the floor. It's good to have all this experience to pull from : )
Oh I didn't think you were insinuating anything. My response wasn't to your post, I was just giving my own perspective. It's all good.
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Wow...thanks Susan and Jigglebuster.....I now understand much better what point you were both trying to get into my brain....and now I have it. Like Ahviya, I'm doing many things...something nearly every day...2 days HEAVY weights at the gym with a workout buddy, elliptical trainer and treadmill ala PACE/HIIT and walking with hubby in the evenings. And then there is Callanetics. I'm about to do #7/15 but had to check in and tell you that today was weigh/measure day. Weight is down .4# (not quite 1/2#) but it's at least finally going in the right direction. But measurements! Good grief. First couple weeks I seemed to grow larger, and now I am seeing the tape measure go smaller for the first time. 21 workouts in 2 months and it's finally starting to show. Someone said 19-30 workouts is when you would see the changes, so I'm right on target. I'm a happy camper! Thank you everyone!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/199/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Wow...thanks Susan and Jigglebuster.....I now understand much better what point you were both trying to get into my brain....and now I have it. Like Ahviya, I'm doing many things...something nearly every day...2 days HEAVY weights at the gym with a workout buddy, elliptical trainer and treadmill ala PACE/HIIT and walking with hubby in the evenings. And then there is Callanetics. I'm about to do #7/15 but had to check in and tell you that today was weigh/measure day. Weight is down .4# (not quite 1/2#) but it's at least finally going in the right direction. But measurements! Good grief. First couple weeks I seemed to grow larger, and now I am seeing the tape measure go smaller for the first time. 21 workouts in 2 months and it's finally starting to show. Someone said 19-30 workouts is when you would see the changes, so I'm right on target. I'm a happy camper! Thank you everyone!
Shelly that's great news! Keep it up! I'm anticipating reaching that level myself. As it is I'm walking like a 35-year old and everything is easier to do. Life is good
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarlynB
Stats: 186.5/167.5/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 14, 2010
Thanks so much for the encouragement, Susan!

I'm mixing in walking and high intensity interval training with my Callanetics. I'm doing only one HIIT session per week, short walks some days and long walks other days. I sprained my ankle back at the beginning of May and I've had to be very, very careful with it. Callanetics has not seemed to bother it at all.

We'll be leaving for a vacation in the Pacific Northwest in a week, and I plan to do my Callan routine while we are on our trip, plus we will be doing lots of walking and hiking.

Jigglebuster and Susan, I'm so glad you shared your thoughts about about holding and relaxing into the stretches. I am going to be keeping your ideas in mind when I do my workout tomorrow.
CarlynB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #125
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vixentobe
6&7/15 complete!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Vixentobe, I'm one who always has a flat stomach, and yes there were times when my hips and legs looked, what I thought, was horrendous, to the point that I thought I should stop, and my stomach got a pooch, but from reading everyone else's posts I realised this is just what happens with Callanetics, so I kept going, and it lasted longer than I wanted (I think two weeks or so? It's been a few years), but it did go away, and the difference was huge! as in I lost inches, and my legs looked more youthful again. The stomach pooch comes and goes, as I wrote above. It can last a few days to a week, but then goes away. Each time you're getting to a new level, you'll go through this. So keep going, it won't be long!
Thanks for putting a time frame on it, I am looking forward to the difference, and will keep going.

Quote:
Try to be more accepting of your body as it changes Vixen. My daughter and I started together this time (she actually started a month earlier than I did) and we keep each other motivated as we go. She lives next door and eats dinner with us daily, so it also helps both of us control diet. She has lost 72 pounds over the past year, down from 322 lbs. I taught her Callanetics when she was a teenager but she never really took to them until about two month ago. We have a mantra about doing Callanetics that goes "tighter, thinner and more toned EVERY DAY!!!" because we know those are the guaranteed results if you practice consistently. I know you feel the benefits and changes. In time your body will be cellulite free. Believe it. Forget about how long it may take and hold fast to the truth that it will come. Just keep making time every week for these blissfully challenging body sculpting sessions and continue to amaze yourself. It's meant to be a lifetime adventure. Remember that your body appreciates at least one day off between sessions to recover. You are working your muscles much harder than you think you are. Keep it up. This time around we will work hard to keep each other motivated to stay with it.

Some thoughts on abs movements for those of you new to Callanetics: I always do all of my abs in blocks of 25 each, without fail. In between I lie still, quiet my breathing and wait until my lower back and shoulders are completely relaxed before I continue. It's not about getting done quickly for me (it takes at least 30 minutes most sessions to complete all of them). I believe this approach helps me get faster results and the secondary benefit is that I now actually look forward to the abs exercises.
Thanks Susan, I will give my body a day off to rest. I have a lot going on both physically and mentally, and I'm not feeling to good about myself at the moment. So much things have changed because of external reasons. Now the one thing that has always been constant has changed as well and I'm feeling like this
Vixentobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
I just finished my session 6/12 for June. What a feeling of accomplishment! My groin discomfort was greatly reduced (I've been getting really good results with some basic physical therapy moves) but I still won't attempt Open and Close until I've had a complete session with no grab in the upper abductor where the damage was done. Bummer, since I was doing so well with them before the mild injury, but I know in time it will heal and I'll be back on track.

I realized today that there is a point in each session where I start bargaining with myself about possibly cutting back "this time" on a series of movements. It's usually when I reach the standing Hips and Behind sequences (BRUTAL). I resist the urge though and keep on I know I'm probably not alone in this

Some thoughts on stretches (from 10/10):
I originally taught myself Callanetics out of the 10/10 book, eventually purchasing a video (remember those?) and following that sequence, with some additions from the book. In the book Callan instructs to get into position and then hold for 30 seconds before beginning the pulse. The DVD doesn't mention this, moving right into the pulse. Recently I decided that there was a good reason for these instructions and so I went back to the original approach. I find it so beneficial to hold for that 30 seconds. It allows me to completely relax and focus on hinging from the hips while keeping the counter pulls active (a strange but effective word for something you really do with your mind). I can always feel myself subtly sink further into the stretches without any discomfort. Don't you just love the way you feel so lean when you complete them?

Enough rambling for now. Excellent work everyone

Excellent Susan We no longer pulse in to the stretches but just hold and breathe deeply during the count. You're post tells me you have great body awareness
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Great post/thoughts, Susan!!!! I was just telling my exercise partner about the weight of the legs....not on the abs exercise, but the one where you are on the floor and the leg is to the side...and how at first it didn't even move/lift and was like a lead weight and now it comes off the floor and pulses! It really is amazing!

I love the idea of holding the stretches for 30 seconds before pulsing. So, I have a question. I tend to just "hold" instead of pulsing in those stretches with the legs straddled when stretching center and both sides. That way I relax into the stretch and find the "relaxing" part does allow me to sink further than if I pulsed. What are your thoughts on that? Good/bad?

I appreciate everyones input and especially those who have been doing this for "forever". Really appreciate you all!!!

...and yet another awesome post You guys are wonderful This fits in to the 'avoid forcing the body to stretch' paradigm along with 'paying attention to your body and enjoying the process of change'. Love it
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixentobe View Post
6&7/15 complete!!

Thanks for putting a time frame on it, I am looking forward to the difference, and will keep going.

Thanks Susan, I will give my body a day off to rest. I have a lot going on both physically and mentally, and I'm not feeling to good about myself at the moment. So much things have changed because of external reasons. Now the one thing that has always been constant has changed as well and I'm feeling like this
Life can be a challenge can't it? I always try to remind myself that five years down the road I will look back and say "That was the best thing that could have happened". It's always worked for me. You can control Callanetics practice and that will help keep you centered and strong which should help you deal with the mess life sends you. Hang in there.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
Excellent Susan We no longer pulse in to the stretches but just hold and breathe deeply during the count. You're post tells me you have great body awareness
I was unaware of this. I'm curious of why the change about pulsing because I can feel them working. After doing Callanetics on and off for so many years and teaching the series to so many people I've developed a teaching mentality so I'm always thinking about the process as I practice them myself.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #130
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 16th April 2013
7th session today and it went really really great . I also added a few extra exercises such as the sitting spinal rotation from the end of Cardio callanetics toning section. I love that stretch!

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts so far this month. Keep up the great work everyone!
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepfitbrit View Post
7th session today and it went really really great . I also added a few extra exercises such as the sitting spinal rotation from the end of Cardio callanetics toning section. I love that stretch!

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts so far this month. Keep up the great work everyone!
I know what you mean. That stretch feels sooooo good! I'm still a bit awkward at it but it's definitely getting better. Good work keepfitbrit
Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
OK all....you have convinced me that I need to buy the Evolution DVD. I've been using 10/10 and Super back and forth. I can't do the pelvic rotations on my knees (bad bad knees from too many years of ballet and avoiding knee replacement) and am up to 3 open closes in a row...up from 2. Woohoo!!!! I'll take any progress.

I have also modified the inner thigh stretch that is with the heels on the outside of a chair. I have a "magic circle" from pilates, so I lie on my back, put my heels up on a foam roller and put the magic circle between my knees at the upper thigh part (the flabby part) and oh boy does that make it harder for "me" than the feet doing the pulses.

I wanted to add that when I taught ballet some 40 years ago, the "pulsing" was the thing to do to get little stretches...we called it gentle bounces back then. Then as I was ready to retire about 15 years ago it was thought to be a "no no" to be in a stretch position and bounce/pulse. Perhaps that was the same theory that Sandrahanna was referring to in the relaxing into the stretch and not pulsing there. Just my thoughts.

We are all doing well....I'm 8/15 today as I just finished the Super minus the knee pelvic rotations and a couple of the barre ones with the legs/hip/thigh as they play havoc on an old injury. Otherwise, I'm catching up with my goal of 15...meaning every other day. You are all encouraging me to not be left behind!!!! Thanks!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #133
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GettingGorgeous
WOE: Clean Eater
Done my 6th for this month. I was not happy with my performance today. Just wasn't in the mood, but decided to go for it anyway and felt like I was slacking off a bit during some of the exercises.

Promise to do better next session! 4 more to go!
GettingGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarlynB
Stats: 186.5/167.5/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 14, 2010
Just popping in to say that I've done my 7th hour for June. Tighter, thinner, more toned, too!
CarlynB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingGorgeous View Post
Done my 6th for this month. I was not happy with my performance today. Just wasn't in the mood, but decided to go for it anyway and felt like I was slacking off a bit during some of the exercises.

Promise to do better next session! 4 more to go!
The important thing is you did them anyway Next time you'll be more focused. Relaxed and effortless. You can do it
Old 06-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlynB View Post
Just popping in to say that I've done my 7th hour for June. Tighter, thinner, more toned, too!
Good work. Right on target
Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #137
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahviya
Stats: 215
Start Date: May, 2013
Well I finished my 8th hour. Thank you Susanw53, I followed your relax for 30 seconds then do 25 abdominal pulses. It was actually easier for me to do this. For some reason, my face (jawline) is still getting tired when I do the abdominal exercises. So I tried your suggestion and it was easier to do. Maybe that is why people are saying my face looks thinner. I am giving it workout while doing my abs???

Okay so about the legs out to the side and lifting. I know it says to have your hips one on top of the other but my stomach doesn't allow that. I get it as close as I can but with my pouch (which doesn't seem to be going anywhere ) how can I tell that it is working. I put my hand on my hips and don't really feel anything. This is my 17th hour in two months, I should be able to feel something right ? I am trying to keep a positive mindset, but today was just a rough day.

Okay sorry for all the rambling. I figured getting this off my chest was better than eating ice cream. Maybe at the end of the month when I do measurements, it will show. Keep up the good work. We can do it.
Ahviya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Yay!!! You're all doing so well!!!

I know we al have days where it's difficult to motivate ourselves, and yes, feel as though we're slacking during the exercises, but we're DOING it! and that's what counts. I'm proud of you all!!!

Ahviya, it's sounds as though you're doing what you can, and that's perfect! One day, you'll see yourself doing what you think you should be doing. Heck! you should see me "stretch"! Ha ha! I would would suggest to focus on the visualization, extend your leg from your hip and turn it in, bring your pelvis forward, and find that sweet spot, but please don't put pressure on yourself to be able to do everything perfectly at this stage of the game.

I'm about to do my 10th for the month.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 109 hours (6/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 06-18-2013 at 05:20 AM..
Old 06-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahviya View Post
Well I finished my 8th hour. Thank you Susanw53, I followed your relax for 30 seconds then do 25 abdominal pulses. It was actually easier for me to do this. For some reason, my face (jawline) is still getting tired when I do the abdominal exercises. So I tried your suggestion and it was easier to do. Maybe that is why people are saying my face looks thinner. I am giving it workout while doing my abs???

Okay so about the legs out to the side and lifting. I know it says to have your hips one on top of the other but my stomach doesn't allow that. I get it as close as I can but with my pouch (which doesn't seem to be going anywhere ) how can I tell that it is working. I put my hand on my hips and don't really feel anything. This is my 17th hour in two months, I should be able to feel something right ? I am trying to keep a positive mindset, but today was just a rough day.

Okay sorry for all the rambling. I figured getting this off my chest was better than eating ice cream. Maybe at the end of the month when I do measurements, it will show. Keep up the good work. We can do it.
Hello ahviya. First off, when we were talking about holding for 30 seconds it was on the stretches from the 10/10 series. I'm impressed that you were able to hold the abs poses for 30 seconds! You must have some killer abdominal muscles under that pooch you speak of Breaking the abs into blocks of 25 works so well for me because it keeps me from over exerting which limits the results. The big secret we keep trying to share with Callanetics is relaxed and effortless = better and faster results. Having said all that it is possible that with your own physical challenges that hold may actually be benefitting YOU. Also, before you begin pulsing with abs be sure you take a moment and let the lower abs sink down between the hips like butter. These abdominal movements begin tightening from under the breasts and work their way down. As all this firms up, along with the rest of your body, your pooch always appears larger since the fat around those abs gets shifted up. Don't despair. Eventually it will go away, just not as fast as any of us would like. Unfortunately we all want the pooch to go first but instead it is always the last thing to disappear. Callan mentions in her 10/10 book that the abs movements will tighten everything from the chin to the pubis. This is why Callanetics practitioners don't have double chins and have long necks and lovely jaw line definition. Your friends are right.

I believe the Hips and Behind movement you speak of is from Evolution. With the hips stacked you want to be careful not to roll the top hip out of alignment either to the front or the back because it will cancel the work you are doing. Be thoughtful as you gently engage your pelvic floor (imagine those sit bones gently pulling towards each other), relaxing the top hip and stretched up through the crown. When you reach down to feel you want to place your hand right below the very top of the leg and below the hip or right below the bottom curve of your derričre in the back. You will feel the muscle action there. I played with this one yesterday, doing 50 and then switching to the corresponding one from 10/10 for the second 50 pulses and frankly I find my body works much harder with the 10/10 movement. Obviously either movement will give you stronger, sleeker hips so choose the one you are most comfortable with. When you do your next measurements you will be surprised. I promised myself I would wait until each block of ten sessions were done before I measured, meaning I still have two more to go before I can do the next ones. I spent all day yesterday avoiding the tape measure

Hope this helped. You're doing great Keep it up.

Last edited by susanw53; 06-18-2013 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #140
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 16th April 2013
Hi everyone

Just done my 8th session for the month. I'm giving myself more time and taking longer breathers. I find that during the abs in Evo (with arms waving at the side) I do one set then sit and do 4 long slow breaths in and out trying to really breath into the chest and abs (although not forcing just gently) and then I'm ready again to un-pause the DVD and do the next set.

I try and sit hands placed at the back of the body with fingers turned away behind me, legs are bent and knees are opened out to the side, opening the chest and relaxing head slightly back extending through the crown. The breathing helps to stretch out the front of the abs and I find it's a good counter-pose for all the abdominal work. (just thought I would share)

I'm still not up to doing the curl down slowly to the floor vertebrae by vertebrae following Karin on Evoution.....but one day.......

Anyway, Shelley I hope you enjoy Evo it is a great DVD and well worth trying.

Susanw53 -I know what you mean about the leg exercises I also switch between the Evo one and the "standing out to the side" from the book where you lean your body over slightly to the standing leg. (Is that the one you meant?) I try to do the latter while waiting for the kettle to boil or microwave to ping, using one hand holding onto the kitchen worktop.

Well done everyone - happy pulsing!
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepfitbrit View Post
Hi everyone

Just done my 8th session for the month. I'm giving myself more time and taking longer breathers. I find that during the abs in Evo (with arms waving at the side) I do one set then sit and do 4 long slow breaths in and out trying to really breath into the chest and abs (although not forcing just gently) and then I'm ready again to un-pause the DVD and do the next set.

I try and sit hands placed at the back of the body with fingers turned away behind me, legs are bent and knees are opened out to the side, opening the chest and relaxing head slightly back extending through the crown. The breathing helps to stretch out the front of the abs and I find it's a good counter-pose for all the abdominal work. (just thought I would share)

I'm still not up to doing the curl down slowly to the floor vertebrae by vertebrae following Karin on Evoution.....but one day.......

Anyway, Shelley I hope you enjoy Evo it is a great DVD and well worth trying.

Susanw53 -I know what you mean about the leg exercises I also switch between the Evo one and the "standing out to the side" from the book where you lean your body over slightly to the standing leg. (Is that the one you meant?) I try to do the latter while waiting for the kettle to boil or microwave to ping, using one hand holding onto the kitchen worktop.

Well done everyone - happy pulsing!
Good workkeepfitbrit I'm intrigued by your abs counter stretch and will have to try it next time. I do mostly the 10/10 series but the abs wave is from the advanced movements in the book and I've had them as part of my workout all along. At this point I don't feel comfortable with the side waves added on in Evo but the initial ones are wonderful. In the 10/10 instructions you do 10 waves, pause, lower down a bit more as you curl the pelvis even higher and repeat with 10 more waves before attempting to lower gently to the floor. It's more of a tumble to the floor for me Like you I have visions of following Karin's lead in the future. When I first started doing Callanetics 25 years ago I actually got to that point so I KNOW it's in my future as well.

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one doing Callanetics movements as I work in the kitchen Yesterday I noticed a total lack of back fatigue as I stood at the sink doing dishes after dinner It's these little moments that keep us motivated. Well, that and how fabulous we are all looking.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mandiew
4/8 done, Super tonight. I'm really starting to enjoy the challenges of it, especially the abs
mandiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #143
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vixentobe
Quote:
Life can be a challenge can't it? I always try to remind myself that five years down the road I will look back and say "That was the best thing that could have happened". It's always worked for me. You can control Callanetics practice and that will help keep you centered and strong which should help you deal with the mess life sends you. Hang in there.
Aww Thank you. I keep telling myself that I will look back on these and be thankful, not quite there yet though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahviya View Post

When I go to class, my teacher always rolls my hip with the leg out more forward than I ever think of doing. The only way I get the same feeling at home is to be facing in the opposite direction of the leg; then tighten my bum and lift the leg. Hope this helps

I was looking at the open and close exercise in the book. I'd like to try it, but I have no barre or steady surface to grip on to. Is there an exercise on Evolution that is similar?

8/15 for me. I was soooo tired when I started, now I'm feeling more awake and nice and loose. Very interesting thing happened, I have little feeling on the left side of my body and while I was stretching, I had pins and needles. It felt so weird to feel something!
I'm quite happy because there are moves that I feel more in class than when I do it alone, but I felt them today.
Also.... Warning TMI alert.....

My doctor has me on a ridiculously high iron intake because my red count was nearly low enough to need a transfusion. I've been feeling uncomfortable as I was constipated. By the time I got to stomach exercise 4 I had to run to the loo!
So all in all a good session for me.
Vixentobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #144
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: qpdoll
Stats: 176/162/138, 5'3",Muscular Med Frame
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2007
Will doing 10/10 actually change my face??? Someone said they finally recognize their face. Is that true? I myself am feeling very old and don't recognize my face in the mirror anymore. I would like that change to occur. I've not been able to stay on track this month due to external issues. I've only been able to do 1 session out of 10 that I wanted to do. I'm up to 8 so far since mid April. But, I'm real curious about what changes come to the face. Thanks so much for sharing..

Dolly
qpdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiew View Post
4/8 done, Super tonight. I'm really starting to enjoy the challenges of it, especially the abs
mandiew I admire your commitment. You are my new inspiration.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:16 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixentobe View Post
Aww Thank you. I keep telling myself that I will look back on these and be thankful, not quite there yet though!

When I go to class, my teacher always rolls my hip with the leg out more forward than I ever think of doing. The only way I get the same feeling at home is to be facing in the opposite direction of the leg; then tighten my bum and lift the leg. Hope this helps

I was looking at the open and close exercise in the book. I'd like to try it, but I have no barre or steady surface to grip on to. Is there an exercise on Evolution that is similar?

8/15 for me. I was soooo tired when I started, now I'm feeling more awake and nice and loose. Very interesting thing happened, I have little feeling on the left side of my body and while I was stretching, I had pins and needles. It felt so weird to feel something!
I'm quite happy because there are moves that I feel more in class than when I do it alone, but I felt them today.
Also.... Warning TMI alert.....

My doctor has me on a ridiculously high iron intake because my red count was nearly low enough to need a transfusion. I've been feeling uncomfortable as I was constipated. By the time I got to stomach exercise 4 I had to run to the loo!
So all in all a good session for me.
vixentobe I'm glad to hear that you are experiencing therapeutic effects from Callanetics. It's likely those longer muscles you are cultivating bringing more blood flow into previously tight areas. That should keep you motivated to stick with it. The outer portion of my right thigh has bothered me for years with lack of sensitivity and I'm noticing more and more a return to normal in this area as I become stronger and more stretched

Don't stress about the number of sessions you complete, just stay with it. Maybe think of doing at least the warm ups every day to help you stay stretched and possibly keep your body in a healing mode while you deal with extreme health issues and do a complete session when you can. Low iron can be a devastating challenge. For the two years before my husband's kidneys went last summer it was a constant and frustrating battle with his H&H with too many transfusions, constant hospitalizations and all that infused iron with it's resultant constipation. I'm still trying to get him motivated to try Callanetics because I know it would help him immensely. I think he's intimidated because he sees how much work goes into these "relaxed and effortless" movements Sooner or later I'll get him. You stick with it.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpdoll View Post
Will doing 10/10 actually change my face??? Someone said they finally recognize their face. Is that true? I myself am feeling very old and don't recognize my face in the mirror anymore. I would like that change to occur. I've not been able to stay on track this month due to external issues. I've only been able to do 1 session out of 10 that I wanted to do. I'm up to 8 so far since mid April. But, I'm real curious about what changes come to the face. Thanks so much for sharing..
qpdoll the consistent practice of Callanetics results in all over tightening, including the face, neck and jaw line. Over time you begin to see a more youthful you staring back in the mirror. Combine that with the newfound ease with which you move through your day and before long people will start stopping you to ask what you are doing. That "Ten years younger in ten hours" is for real. When I first started doing Callanetics, about six sessions in I was asking myself why I was continuing since I didn't notice any dramatic results yet when I looked in the mirror. A coworker I did not know stopped me in the hall to tell me to keep doing whatever I was doing because HE could see the results. I've always had a place in my heart for him Unfortunately I let life get in the way and did stop about a year later At this point in my life (59 years old and 75 pounds overweight) I can't afford to stop again. My body won't grow old quietly, it hurts enough to finally get me back on the track I should have stayed with 24 years ago. Better late than never.
Enjoy the journey
Old 06-19-2013, 04:38 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

vixentobe that bit about stressing was supposed to be for Dolly, not you. I know you don't stress : )
Old 06-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpdoll View Post
That was me qpdoll.

From the time I began to gain weight and all through losing the weight, I felt like I couldn't smile properly, like my mouth was pushing against something; it took effort to smile, and this upset me a lot. When I saw myself in pictures I could tell my smiles weren't free nor authentic. There was no point at the edges of the smile. It was like I had to push from a lower place, closer to the line of my lower lips to push my cheeks out of the way. I don't have really high cheek bones, but when I don't have extra weight on you can see the structure of my face. I've always been slender, before the depression, before the hormonal changes, before the auto-immune disorder.... What I saw in my face was just a reminder that things weren't okay, that I wasn't okay. Of course I saw it in my body, as well, but it was my face....

I know I haven't lost much weight since March, but still had a bit of that pushing feeling. Not only that, but I was seeing the beginnings of jowels forming, and thought I'd just have to accept it - it's all a part of aging right?

Anyway, the jowels are gone, any signs of a double chin I had, which was significant since I normally don't have one, is gone, the pudgy cheeks are gone, and I can see the structure of my face, in my jaw, my eyes, my cheeks, my temples..., even in my forehead. My smiles don't feel heavy, and there was just this day (I think when I wrote about it) when I looked in the mirror, and I was surprised to see myself, a face I hadn't seen in almost 8 years, and I cried.

It was in that moment that I realised that I have been doing this to find myself again, both physically and emotionally. It had nothing about the weight and what that all means in society, or what others think of me, it was to be able to look in the mirror and see me again, on all levels. I felt like I had reached the last crossing of a long journey, and was finally coming home.

Doing Callanetics, or doing any form of movement, and eating healthily, is not just about weight, it's about loving yourself. I always ask myself, if I would treat a child this way when I'm making choices that hurt me, and the answer is always, "No."

One of the reasons I listen to (not watch ha ha!) the video after all this time, is to hear her talk. When she says "If that's all you can do, that's okay. Never push..." I hear that on so many levels. It gave me permission to be where I was emotionally so many years ago, and I applied it to my daily living, to be okay with what I could do and not judge myself. As someone who goes paralyzed on occasion or needs to sleep suddenly, I need not to judge what I'm physically capable of, while I hear others judging, commenting on how long it takes me to get things done around the house, or to learn, or my lack of progression in sporting activities. I learnt to be gentle with myself, loving toward myself, and this approach worked better than any of the "no pain no gain" approaches.

So when I read your comments, and you judging yourself, all I can say to you is, "If that's all you can do, that's okay."

Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #150
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nemia
May I introduce myself and participate in the challenge?

I looked my best when I did Callanetics regularly - but that was a looong time ago. Since then, depression, health problems, challenges all around made me forget that I have a body. When I saw that my BMI is getting close to 30, I started walking, banishing carbs and pulling out my much beloved Callanetics tapes.

That was three weeks ago. Since then, I've done the 10/10 program eight times, walked/run in intervals every morning for 20 minutes, and while I see no change in my body or the scales, I want to continue.

It seems to me that this forum is a motivational miracle ;-)

I wish to continue doing Callanetics and make it a part of my lifestyle.
Nemia is offline   Reply With Quote