Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahviya
Stats: 215
Start Date: May, 2013
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
I know you can do it as well.
Jigglebuster and Susanw53 ~ Thank you both for your encouragement. Today was just a cardio day for me. Tomorrow is callanetics. I figure setting this small goal is good for me. Since I have been working out since May 1 and have until September 5 it is realistic. Toning, tightening and a nice peach is my ultimate goal overall with good health.

Have a nice evening everyone.
Ahviya is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/?/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Oh. My. Goodness..... It rained all day today, so instead of my usual skate, I did Cardio Callanetics. I forgot just how challenging it is. Wow! And I forgot how much I enjoy it.
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: qpdoll
Stats: 176/162/138, 5'3",Muscular Med Frame
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2007
Hi Ya'll.. I've been on vacation for a week an boy do I feel like a beached whale !! ha ha "Shelley" . But seriously, I couldn't wait to get back and start callanetics again. I did 7 of (10/10) in May because I started half way in the month. I plan on doing 10 this month because again I missed out on like 10 days.

I can't believe being off for a week caused me to fall off the wagon again

But I had a good time, I'm not gonna stress and just get right back into it!!!

Missed ya'll

Dolly
qpdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

One more hour of 10/10. Things were cracking (in a good way) and I feel really good!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarlynB
Stats: 186.5/167.5/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 14, 2010
Just finished my 5th hour of 10/10 for June. Taking it slow and easy and feeling very, very good!
CarlynB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #96
Junior LCF Member

Finished my 6th hour out of 15 for the month. It was such a beautiful day in Connecticut today that I went for a 2 mile walk after callanetics.

Keep up the good work everyone. Take it one day at a time and be positive.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #97
ISO
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ISO
3/15 for June DONE!
ISO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:31 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

I'm just doing my stretches and maybe going for a skate today, but I have to report back and say my knee pudge is gone this morning, and I have that verticle line forming in the middle of my abs, AND I can see that distinction between my inner thighs and my quads.... all things I thought I'd never see again.

32 Callanetic hours ago, I couldn't stand up straight. My body was in such rough shape I was beginning to hunch over to the left with my shoulders pulled in like an old croon. I saw it, and although there was a part of me that was letting myself go, there was another part of me that knew what could help... Callanetics! Now I am standing up straight. I feel capable again, and I have hope!

Thanks Callan!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 184 hours (8/16 this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosebud87
I'm experiencing a bit of groin pain on my right side. I couldn't do the "open and close" because of it, which usually comes so effortless. have to ease up till this strain feels better.

I do QCL and recently began QCS again. The one thing holding me back from Hips and Behind is... I don't want smaller hips. they're small as it is and I wanted to keep what I have. however I think those exercises will work the back of my leg better...which is what I really need. any guidance? xo
rosebud87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
5/12 for June in the bag! I had some "Aha!" moments during today's session. Since my self-imposed mini seminar this weekend I had been playing with Sandra's instructions about engaging the pelvic floor, concentrating on gently pulling the sit bones together until I felt the lower abdominals activate. I had been squeezing too hard all this time. It helped particularly with the standing leg exercises from Evolution, which I do instead of the foot and arch on the barre from 10/10. I also discovered that I had become sloppy about the warm ups waist stretch, stretching more along the outside of my torso with my arm against my ear instead of stretching up through the axis which works both sides of the waist better. Proper visualization and practice will give better results. Even after all my years of practice I benefit from an occasional refresher.

A tip for newbies: When I began doing Callanetics I found it challenging to get the tiny range of movement consistent so I marked off 1/4", 1/2" and 1" inside the cover of my book and then made myself reference those markings before each session. In no time it became second nature.

I FEEL GREAT!!! Tighter, thinner, stronger every day. I really love the sense of control as I work through a session. My daughter and I were laughing yesterday about how we are both still large women and it doesn't matter at all since it's only a temporary situation as long as we stay consistent with Callanetics.

Happy pulsing everyone You can do it
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud87 View Post
I'm experiencing a bit of groin pain on my right side. I couldn't do the "open and close" because of it, which usually comes so effortless. have to ease up till this strain feels better.

I do QCL and recently began QCS again. The one thing holding me back from Hips and Behind is... I don't want smaller hips. they're small as it is and I wanted to keep what I have. however I think those exercises will work the back of my leg better...which is what I really need. any guidance? xo
I'm having the same groin problem, having moved wrong during one session. I knew it was a mistake immediately and have been gently working with it for over a week now. The only exercise I cannot do until it heals completely is the open and close, which never comes easy to me but I miss it all the same. I hope yours heals quickly.

I would recommend you continue to do hips and behind exercises despite your concerns. The series works together as a unit and your hips won't get any smaller than they are meant to be in balance with the rest of your body. The advantages gained from these particular movements go beyond tightening and toning. Strong and healthy hips and derrière can only enhance your life as you grow older. You won't regret it.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm having the same groin problem, having moved wrong during one session. I knew it was a mistake immediately and have been gently working with it for over a week now. The only exercise I cannot do until it heals completely is the open and close, which never comes easy to me but I miss it all the same. I hope yours heals quickly.

I would recommend you continue to do hips and behind exercises despite your concerns. The series works together as a unit and your hips won't get any smaller than they are meant to be in balance with the rest of your body. The advantages gained from these particular movements go beyond tightening and toning. Strong and healthy hips and derrière can only enhance your life as you grow older. You won't regret it.

Thank you for your reply! you are right about the hips and behind exercises. I'll take your advice.

re: the groin problem.. you say you knew immediately what you did wrong, what was it? maybe I made the same mistake. hope you heal quickly!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
I'm just doing my stretches and maybe going for a skate today, but I have to report back and say my knee pudge is gone this morning, and I have that verticle line forming in the middle of my abs, AND I can see that distinction between my inner thighs and my quads.... all things I thought I'd never see again.

32 Callanetic hours ago, I couldn't stand up straight. My body was in such rough shape I was beginning to hunch over to the left with my shoulders pulled in like an old croon. I saw it, and although there was a part of me that was letting myself go, there was another part of me that knew what could help... Callanetics! Now I am standing up straight. I feel capable again, and I have hope!

Thanks Callan!
Great report Jigglebuster! It's so wonderful watching your body reshape and sculpt itself over time. 32 sessions! Wow! Keep it up. You are giving yourself the gift of becoming lovely and fit and as you grow older you should be able to avoid all the discomfort you were headed for. I always knew I'd be back and sure enough as soon as we got my husband's health stabilized (which took over 10 years) I started to convince myself to take the time for me. In the end it was watching my daughter transform herself with Callanetics (how proud was I?) that lit that fire under me. It's all a journey.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #104
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GettingGorgeous
WOE: Clean Eater
Done my 5th for this month this morning. 5 more to go!
GettingGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mandiew
3/5 completed. Did 10/10 today, trying to alternate with super for some variation.
mandiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

rosebud I googled groin pull and found a good video from injuryrehadadvice that showed exercises demonstrated by a physical therapist for this injury. I'm not Internet literate enough to post a link (my daughter needs to teach me that!) so I hope you can find it. I'm going to follow her advice. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

One more hour. I think that's 8 so far for this month.

I certainly didn't feel motivated today, I had that sluggish attitude going on. But I think it's because I didn't eat as much as I normally do last night, and I know what we eat the night/day before can affect us greatly the following day or two.

Quote:
Great report Jigglebuster! It's so wonderful watching your body reshape and sculpt itself over time. 32 sessions! Wow! Keep it up. You are giving yourself the gift of becoming lovely and fit and as you grow older you should be able to avoid all the discomfort you were headed for. I always knew I'd be back and sure enough as soon as we got my husband's health stabilized (which took over 10 years) I started to convince myself to take the time for me. In the end it was watching my daughter transform herself with Callanetics (how proud was I?) that lit that fire under me. It's all a journey.
Thanks Susan! Yeah, the scary thing is I experienced my body turning into itself and I'm only 40. I'll have to remember this so I keep motivated. There's more to moving a body than just losing / keeping weight off/getting strong. I think that's what stopped me last time. I forgot, but yet didn't, how much Callantics helped me in the other aspect of my physicality. I certainly remembered the weight/size loss and the emotional healing I went through, but not this aspect. So, once I get Super Callanetics strong and flexible again... well, I will have to find something to remind me. Maybe I need something physical and in my face to be anointed my reminder? Hmm.

It sounds like it's definitely your turn, and you and your daughter sound as though you're doing fabulously! Just remember... it's always your turn when it comes to taking care of you. Keep up the good work! I know what you're capable of if you just keep going.

ETA: Oh! I almost forgot! I think I have got 3 friends trying out Callanetics. I'm excited to hear what they have to say.

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 06-14-2013 at 06:25 AM..
Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #108
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy&Healthy@40
Stats: 295/256/199
WOE: Gluten Free Atkins
Start Date: Jan 11, 2013
Thank you all for the great encouragement! I ordered the DVD & I'm waiting for it to arrive...I'm very excited to get started & take part in July challenge
Happy&Healthy@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #109
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
rosebud I googled groin pull and found a good video from injuryrehadadvice that showed exercises demonstrated by a physical therapist for this injury. I'm not Internet literate enough to post a link (my daughter needs to teach me that!) so I hope you can find it. I'm going to follow her advice. Good luck.
Thanks so much!!! good luck to you too, Susan.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #110
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 16th April 2013
Hi everyone

I did my 6th session yesterday and feel a lot happier after my slight wobble earlier in the week.
Thanks to Susanw53 and Ahviya for your kind words of encouragement. I took your advice and took two days off and then did a really gentle session and took today as a rest day as well.

I have kept in mind many hints and tips and also how many of you approach your workout. Some keys thoughts I remind myself of are "meditation in motion" and seeing your workout day as a "spa day" (apologies for forgetting who said these ) Anyway I find them really useful.

Happy pulsing everyone
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepfitbrit View Post
Hi everyone

I did my 6th session yesterday and feel a lot happier after my slight wobble earlier in the week.
Thanks to Susanw53 and Ahviya for your kind words of encouragement. I took your advice and took two days off and then did a really gentle session and took today as a rest day as well.

I have kept in mind many hints and tips and also how many of you approach your workout. Some keys thoughts I remind myself of are "meditation in motion" and seeing your workout day as a "spa day" (apologies for forgetting who said these ) Anyway I find them really useful.

Happy pulsing everyone
I'm glad to hear it keepfitbrit. I keep reminding myself that this is a journey I will stay on for the rest of my life. It's worth it to be gentle with yourself. No other program is this forgiving when you take small breaks. It always amazes me how much better I progress after a break. Coming up on 60 years old this year I just can't personally afford to be casual about it any more. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarlynB
Stats: 186.5/167.5/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 14, 2010
I finished workout #6 this afternoon and I'm so happy. I had a very good session today. I'm finally beginning to really feel stronger during those ab exercises. I didn't have to use my hand to support my head at all today and I was able to concentrate on relaxing everything and working those small pulses at the same time. (This was my 10th session since I re-started at the end of May.
CarlynB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Wow...great posts everyone. I did 6/15 today (21 today since starting) and I can feel/see improvement in ability. I am actually looking forward to the measurements on Sunday morning. I am sure I will finally see changes......at least I hope so!!!!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlynB View Post
I finished workout #6 this afternoon and I'm so happy. I had a very good session today. I'm finally beginning to really feel stronger during those ab exercises. I didn't have to use my hand to support my head at all today and I was able to concentrate on relaxing everything and working those small pulses at the same time. (This was my 10th session since I re-started at the end of May.
Good work CarlynB! getting that 10th session in is a wonderful milestone! Whether or not you see dramatic results you surely do feel it. I love that sense of deep control you get with each additional session. Remember when you first tried Callanetics and your legs felt like dead weights instead of feathers during the abdominals? Look how far we've come Keep up the good work. So many of us did these lovely movements earlier in our lives and for whatever reasons gave them up. Now that we have returned we are so lucky to have this community to keep us focused on the task at hand. I really believe it will help many of us stay consistent over the years.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

I just finished my session 6/12 for June. What a feeling of accomplishment! My groin discomfort was greatly reduced (I've been getting really good results with some basic physical therapy moves) but I still won't attempt Open and Close until I've had a complete session with no grab in the upper abductor where the damage was done. Bummer, since I was doing so well with them before the mild injury, but I know in time it will heal and I'll be back on track.

I realized today that there is a point in each session where I start bargaining with myself about possibly cutting back "this time" on a series of movements. It's usually when I reach the standing Hips and Behind sequences (BRUTAL). I resist the urge though and keep on I know I'm probably not alone in this

Some thoughts on stretches (from 10/10):
I originally taught myself Callanetics out of the 10/10 book, eventually purchasing a video (remember those?) and following that sequence, with some additions from the book. In the book Callan instructs to get into position and then hold for 30 seconds before beginning the pulse. The DVD doesn't mention this, moving right into the pulse. Recently I decided that there was a good reason for these instructions and so I went back to the original approach. I find it so beneficial to hold for that 30 seconds. It allows me to completely relax and focus on hinging from the hips while keeping the counter pulls active (a strange but effective word for something you really do with your mind). I can always feel myself subtly sink further into the stretches without any discomfort. Don't you just love the way you feel so lean when you complete them?

Enough rambling for now. Excellent work everyone
Old 06-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Remember when you first tried Callanetics and your legs felt like dead weights instead of feathers during the abdominals?
Quote:
Some thoughts on stretches (from 10/10):
I originally taught myself Callanetics out of the 10/10 book, eventually purchasing a video (remember those?) and following that sequence, with some additions from the book. In the book Callan instructs to get into position and then hold for 30 seconds before beginning the pulse. The DVD doesn't mention this, moving right into the pulse. Recently I decided that there was a good reason for these instructions and so I went back to the original approach. I find it so beneficial to hold for that 30 seconds. It allows me to completely relax and focus on hinging from the hips while keeping the counter pulls active (a strange but effective word for something you really do with your mind). I can always feel myself subtly sink further into the stretches without any discomfort. Don't you just love the way you feel so lean when you complete them?

Enough rambling for now. Excellent work everyone
Great post/thoughts, Susan!!!! I was just telling my exercise partner about the weight of the legs....not on the abs exercise, but the one where you are on the floor and the leg is to the side...and how at first it didn't even move/lift and was like a lead weight and now it comes off the floor and pulses! It really is amazing!

I love the idea of holding the stretches for 30 seconds before pulsing. So, I have a question. I tend to just "hold" instead of pulsing in those stretches with the legs straddled when stretching center and both sides. That way I relax into the stretch and find the "relaxing" part does allow me to sink further than if I pulsed. What are your thoughts on that? Good/bad?

I appreciate everyones input and especially those who have been doing this for "forever". Really appreciate you all!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Sunday morning weigh in: down .8 lbs for the week! That's good news for someone doing Callanetics because working this deeply builds muscle so I was anticipating no loss at all this week. Slow and steady does the trick. I'm most excited about getting my jaw line back. Regular practitioners of Callanetics don't have double chins and I've had this one too long! I've been taking profile shots after each session because I'm interested in how long it will take and I wanted to document it. If I ever figure out how to post pictures here I will share them with you all.
Have a great day all!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
[...]
I love the idea of holding the stretches for 30 seconds before pulsing. So, I have a question. I tend to just "hold" instead of pulsing in those stretches with the legs straddled when stretching center and both sides. That way I relax into the stretch and find the "relaxing" part does allow me to sink further than if I pulsed. What are your thoughts on that? Good/bad?

I appreciate everyones input and especially those who have been doing this for "forever". Really appreciate you all!!!
Here's my opinion....
If you relaxing into it allows you to sink further, then you're pulsing too quickly. I would suggest doing your relaxing part and then once you sink in, then start your pulses (very, very gentle, like your breath is creating the pulses)... then you'll get the best of both worlds.

When I first started, I was always perplexed and a bit frustrated by the fact that by the time I reached 47 pulses, I was finally feeling like my body finally found the right spot. I just learnt I needed to find it then start my pulses. it takes longer, but the benefits are that much more.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Here's my opinion....
If you relaxing into it allows you to sink further, then you're pulsing too quickly. I would suggest doing your relaxing part and then once you sink in, then start your pulses (very, very gentle, like your breath is creating the pulses)... then you'll get the best of both worlds.

When I first started, I was always perplexed and a bit frustrated by the fact that by the time I reached 47 pulses, I was finally feeling like my body finally found the right spot. I just learnt I needed to find it then start my pulses. it takes longer, but the benefits are that much more.
Good post Jigglebuster. I didn't realize I had insinuated that while pulsing you continue to stretch towards the floor. What I meant is that after regular sessions of getting to your full stretch and then controlled pulsing you will soon discover that when you begin the stretching sequence in future sessions you will eventually find that your full stretch gets you to the floor. It's good to have all this experience to pull from : )

Last edited by susanw53; 06-16-2013 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #120
Junior LCF Member

Well finished my 7th workout for the month. I just realized that this is the beginning of my 8th week of callanetics and that I have completed a total of 16 hours in two months. I have only 8 more hours to reach this months goal

Of course in between I have been doing cardio walking and biking. Once warm weather hits, I will rotate with swimming. The Dali Lama said "Be the change you want to see in the world." I believe if we see the change in us that we want to be, it will help us reach our goals that much faster.

Have a great day.