Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
What a great read this thread is already this month to all the newbies and thank you again Jigglebuster for sharing your knowledge. When I first started Callanetics in 1986 I would have loved this forum. I only had Callan's book, no video at that stage, and was instantly addicted I just ate out everyones ears about how marvellous it was. Even if they weren't interested I didn't care I was so keen to tell everyone. It was like "what, you aren't doing Callanetics??? Are you mad???" I was painful So, to have a forum like this would have been awesome and saved all those around me from my Callanetics diatribe.

to all Callan's Peaches
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ahviya
Stats: 215
Start Date: May, 2013
~ Thank you Jigglebuster and Sandra for your wonderful insite. I guess because you always see the "unretouched photos" and the "bottom line" you can get hung up on that. I will remember that it takes time. Didn't get my belly pouch over night so it won't disappear overnight Friends have noticed a slimmer face and neck, but as you pointed out I didn't. I seem to be focusing mostly on abs and thighs. I appreciate the help you both give all of us.

I have noticed that when sitting or standing, I make sure my butt is tucked in and not sticking out. Working in the medical field all day on my feet, I seem to always be in a small plie stance. I tend to watch my body and straighten it out while cooking if I am slouching.

Just finished my 3rd round this month. I spend 30 minutes on the recumant bicycle on the days I don't do callanetics on any particular day. I do have the Super Callanetics for when I get brave enough to try. I have watched it twice. Just want to get the most out of the regular callanetics before moving on. Have a nice weekend everyone keep pulsing and smiling.

Last edited by Ahviya; 06-07-2013 at 04:30 AM..
Ahviya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/206.2/145 5'4" 34 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Just checking in to report another hour complete. That makes 3/15 for this month. Another tonight, with tomorrow as a rest day. Feeling good, happy, and healthy!
Silverrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vixentobe
3/15 for me. That was last night, I'll probably do another session today.

I stopped using the video last year sometime and have been doing them alone in silence. Last month I decided to play the video and realised how fast I was in comparison to the video, so decided this month to do all my sessions with the it on to slow down.
I keep getting distracted though. She starts talking and I lose count.
Because of my neck and back problems I don't want to not be in the correct form because I'm trying to stare at the screen. Some of the comments are handy, but some aren't.

I may end up taping the audio I find helpful, and counting (Susan, I love love love your counting method) myself and play that.
Vixentobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Hi everyone

Just done my 4/15 today and feeling more toned and a lot more flexible and stronger. I am gradually increasing my repetitions for the 2nd set of behind and hip exercises on Evolution. To think in April I could barely do 10 reps with the leg out straight and now I can do 100!

Susan I love the mantra idea - I am definitely going to give that a go!

Sandra Thank you for all your supportive and informative posts - I really get a lot out of reading them.

It is great to see everyone has started this month so well - I doubt if I will do another session now until Monday so have a great weekend everyone.
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarlynB
Stats: 186.5/167.5/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 14, 2010
I've completed my 3rd workout for June, which makes 7 hrs. done since I re-started a couple of weeks ago. I'm shooting for 15 workouts this month.

I am doing the exercises from the 10/10 video, but I don't use the video. I have found that I tend to start worrying about keeping up with the people in the video and there are times that I really need to stop, take a few breaths and re-start and go at my own pace. I can concentrate better if I just do the workout on my own. I play my "Enya" station on Pandora Radio while I'm doing my Callanetics and it is so relaxing!

I also save all the floor stretches for the last part of my workout, ending with the lower back stretch.
CarlynB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahviya View Post
~ Thank you Jigglebuster and Sandra for your wonderful insite. I guess because you always see the "unretouched photos" and the "bottom line" you can get hung up on that. I will remember that it takes time. Didn't get my belly pouch over night so it won't disappear overnight Friends have noticed a slimmer face and neck, but as you pointed out I didn't. I seem to be focusing mostly on abs and thighs. I appreciate the help you both give all of us.

I have noticed that when sitting or standing, I make sure my butt is tucked in and not sticking out. Working in the medical field all day on my feet, I seem to always be in a small plie stance. I tend to watch my body and straighten it out while cooking if I am slouching.

Just finished my 3rd round this month. I spend 30 minutes on the recumant bicycle on the days I don't do callanetics on any particular day. I do have the Super Callanetics for when I get brave enough to try. I have watched it twice. Just want to get the most out of the regular callanetics before moving on. Have a nice weekend everyone keep pulsing and smiling.

Just curious about your 'butt tucking' comment. The preferred way of sitting is to sit in front of your sit bones and to ensure that you're not sitting on your tailbone. Your tailbone should be lifted and not tucked under. I'm not sure if you mean that you are tucking, or curling your pelvis during sitting but just in case you are...I had to post "please don't". If you need more information on this I'm happy to respond.
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tessy99
Finished my 6 th hour last night. Dh asked me if I'd lost weight. He said my face looked thinner. Even though I would have liked to, I have not! Then my 5 year old later in the day said my face looked smaller. (Totally out of the blue). I have a few other subtle changes happening. Dh asked this morning if its something he could do too! He seems to really like what he seeing and wants some of tat improvement too

Last edited by tessy99; 06-08-2013 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Typos
tessy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jimmychoomom
Start Date: 5/20/2013
3/15 complete - I am almost able to complete 100 of all 3 stomach exercises - woo hoo! I travel 4-5 days/week for work and I'm so happy to have something that I know I can do from anywhere. Plus I don't have to pack my sneakers in my bag only to take up space and end up not doing them. I have my little cheat sheet of the exercises to take with me when I'm living in a hotel room this week. It's so nice to have something that I can feel the results from already!
jimmychoomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Yay...we are all doing so well this month. Just finished 4/15 for June. Right on track for every other day......did a heavy upper body weight workout yesterday, so it's all fitting in nicely.

Happy pulsing everyone.

Jigglebuster and Sandra....you are both great!!!!! Thanks so much for your posts of insight and experience!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susanw53
Stats: 238.9/195.2/155
WOE: Just sensible control
Start Date: Callanetics, 7/98, restart 5/2013
3/12 done. This session was somewhat easier to complete. I'm getting noticeably stronger, particularly when doing the abdominals. I have enough past experience to understand that this means my next session is probably going to be wicked hard, so when I realized it I had to smile at myself. The one thing I know for sure is that done properly Callanetics never gets to be easy. I enjoy knowing that I will always be able to tweak a movement to make it even more challenging.

jimmychoomom I'm impressed by your endurance. Keep up the good work. The adventure has only begun.
susanw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

4/15 for me. Wasn't in the mood today to be honest, but I'm glad I've done it.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
Just curious about your 'butt tucking' comment. The preferred way of sitting is to sit in front of your sit bones and to ensure that you're not sitting on your tailbone. Your tailbone should be lifted and not tucked under. I'm not sure if you mean that you are tucking, or curling your pelvis during sitting but just in case you are...I had to post "please don't". If you need more information on this I'm happy to respond.
As a nurse I don't get to sit much. I noticed before doing callanetics, I would stick my butt out when standing, but now I tuck/pelvic tilt in while standing. Ergo helping me to have less back pain from standing all day.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixentobe View Post
4/15 for me. Wasn't in the mood today to be honest, but I'm glad I've done it.
I can so identify. my daughter and I were laughing yesterday about how you can be excited about the prospect of doing Callanetics and then falter as the time gets closer. We always find that once you get into the abdominals there's a little switch that seems to go off in the brain that says "OK, now I'm committed, so I might as well finish". I still have to talk myself through doing ALL of the pelvic scoops! Every session there I am again chanting "You can do this Susan. It's only 5 more scoops." So kudos Vixentobe. Well done.

Today is my weekly weigh in and the scale says that my week of careful eating (NOT dieting, just keeping within my allotted 1620 calories) and consistent Callanetics practice has resulted in a loss of 3.2 lbs! Yahoo!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #75
Junior LCF Member

One more hour down and only 11 more workouts to go.

I noticed today that around my rib cage was not tight, but I could feel my ribs without touching them. Which is good feeling, it seems my breathing is easier. I have asthma and yet despite the heat (and all the pollen), I haven't had to use my inhaler I believe callanetics is helping with everything health wise. One of the doctor's asked me about the "pep in my step" I told him what I was doing for exercise which is extremely gentle on my ankle (metal), he said his wife does this and loves it.

Keep on pulsing for the beautiful peach
Old 06-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GettingGorgeous
WOE: Clean Eater
Checking in for my 4th for this month. 6 more to go!
GettingGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone

Just done my 5/15 today and decided to do Cardiocallanetics with both the cardio and toning sections and I definitely feel less sluggish now and more refreshed.

To keep on track, I aim to do Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday this week probably with Evolution but will try and add some pelvic rotations and some extra yoga postures in there, if I feel like it.

Happy pulsing everyone!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Another hour! I seem to be doing it at a rhythm that fits better with me. Before I felt guilty if I skipped a day, and now I'm alright with that.

I went for a skate last night, and this morning my abs were shaking by the time I hit 40 on the lower ab (two legs up) exercise. I was slower too, having to pause the video, whereas I've never needed to do that before. Different mode, I guess.
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

5/15 for me right now.....20 total since starting, so I need to look at my before photos and check myself out in the mirror....scary thought as my measurements yesterday showed that I had gained inches in everywhere but the hips and bust from last Sunday's weigh/measure day. Phooey. I'm not giving up, but eating perfectly and doing heavy weights 2 times a week and Callanetics 3+ days a week makes me sad that I don't see any losses. Is this normal? I've been doing weights for years, so I'm not losing fat and gaining muscle. Inches say that's not the case for sure!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #80
ISO
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ISO
2/15 for June done!

Thinking I should decrease my days off - I want results YESTERDAY!!!
ISO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #81
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: littlepeach
4/12 done.
Wasn't funny today, but I feel great now. Like everytime after the workout.
Isn't that strange, that you always forget how good you will feel if you get over the slackness instead of skipping a day and rest on the sofa...?
littlepeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanw53 View Post
Today is my weekly weigh in and the scale says that my week of careful eating (NOT dieting, just keeping within my allotted 1620 calories) and consistent Callanetics practice has resulted in a loss of 3.2 lbs! Yahoo!!!

Congrats Susan! I bet that is a real motivator to continue.

5/15
I decided to do my exercise in my underwear and I was so upset. My thighs look so bad. The cellulite is all compacted and it's actually bumpy when I glide my hands over them.

My stomach is fat too. I don't know if anyone else "their special area", but mine is my stomach. No matter how much weight I put on, my stomach is always flat. Now I have a non flat stomach with bumpy thighs too

I know that it gets worse before it looks better, but how long will that take?

Can I do Callanetics everyday? I will do it if I can.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
2/15 for June done!

I want results YESTERDAY!!!
Me too!!!!!!!!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Finished my 5th hour of callanetics with only 10 left to reach my goal.
ISO ~ I agree with you about wanting results yesterday. Fortunately for me Jigglebuster and Sandra helped me get past the "unretouched photos of jean" knowing that with each hour I spend, I am one hour closer to a goal.

I have set a goal to be in a size 12 dress for September 5, 2013 (Rosh Hashanah) Jewish New Year. Right now I am squeezing into a 14/16 depending on the cut of the dress. So, since I have been working out since the first week of May, 2013 up to today and watching what I eat, I KNOW I CAN DO IT
Old 06-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mandiew
2/8 completed, super today
mandiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarlynB
Stats: 186.5/167.5/130
Start Date: May 14, 2010
I completed my 4th workout for the month yesterday. We got some bad news about our play - the woman who had the role of Blanche DuBois has had to drop out. So, we are sort of at a standstill until our director can find a replacement. There's never a dull moment in community theater!
CarlynB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Well, as promised, I measured myself once my period was done, and as suspected, I have lost another quarter of an inch. I know that's not a lot, but when I had more to lose, I was losing inches so fast it was insane. So now that I'm getting closer to my minimum (if I want to be healthy), the smaller the shrinkage, that's why I'm focussing on the flexibility and strength. However, I do know I can probably lose another 2-3 inches on my waist and hips and still be on the healthy side (strangely my chest never changed at all in any of the weight gain or loss). I also know, other than my flexibility, I'm pretty happy with my body right now, so I'm not going to stress about it, just take care of me.

Interestingly, my above knee measurements increased, so I'm anticipating something positive in the future. As well, when I'm walking I can feel my leg extend in a way where my lower abs feel like they're being stretched out, which tels me my posture is improving.

The best part of all this is? I finally recognise my face again! In all the weight gain then losing it, the hardest part was watching my face turn into someone I didn't recognise.

Ahviya, September is totally doable! Especially if you're watching what you eat in conjunction with Callanetics. Most of my results are just from eating healthily, but probably more than what I need, and more treats than I need.

Vixentobe, I'm one who always has a flat stomach, and yes there were times when my hips and legs looked, what I thought, was horrendous, to the point that I thought I should stop, and my stomach got a pooch, but from reading everyone else's posts I realised this is just what happens with Callanetics, so I kept going, and it lasted longer than I wanted (I think two weeks or so? It's been a few years), but it did go away, and the difference was huge! as in I lost inches, and my legs looked more youthful again. The stomach pooch comes and goes, as I wrote above. It can last a few days to a week, but then goes away. Each time you're getting to a new level, you'll go through this. So keep going, it won't be long!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.25
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 198 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone

Just thought I would post as I haven't done my planned session today.
I woke up this morning with such aching muscles that I thought I would maybe try and exercise later in the day. But after walking the kids to school and walking to get groceries and back I had walked for over 1 and 3/4 hours and I had reached my limit. By this afternoon it hurt my abs just moving from sitting to standing.
I thought - oh no - I can't do my Callanetics today and started to feel bad about it and maybe I've failed etc (you know the sort of thoughts that go through your mind). Anyway, I thought about how much I had done recently plus extra yogalates on Saturday and Sunday as a one off and realised I had exercised including my Callanetics for 5 days in a row. I think my body today was saying ENOUGH! (In fact it was probably saying ENOUGH yesterday, but I decided not to listen)

So this is a bit of a turning point for me - not to beat myself up for not doing a workout and also to listen to my body.
I'll take tomorrow as it comes, and try to do the best I can.

Sorry for rattling on - thinking of you all
Old 06-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepfitbrit View Post
Hi everyone

I woke up this morning with such aching muscles that I thought I would maybe try and exercise later in the day. But after walking the kids to school and walking to get groceries and back I had walked for over 1 and 3/4 hours and I had reached my limit. By this afternoon it hurt my abs just moving from sitting to standing.
I thought - oh no - I can't do my Callanetics today and started to feel bad about it and maybe I've failed etc (you know the sort of thoughts that go through your mind). Anyway, I thought about how much I had done recently plus extra yogalates on Saturday and Sunday as a one off and realised I had exercised including my Callanetics for 5 days in a row. I think my body today was saying ENOUGH! (In fact it was probably saying ENOUGH yesterday, but I decided not to listen)

So this is a bit of a turning point for me - not to beat myself up for not doing a workout and also to listen to my body.
I'll take tomorrow as it comes, and try to do the best I can.

Sorry for rattling on - thinking of you all
Keepfitbrit, remind yourself that your body responds best when you give it a day off in between Callanetics sessions. The results are so incredible that it tempts you to do them every day but you're working your muscles much harder than you think you are. My advice would be to take two days off and relax before you get back to it. You want to be fit and toned, not sick and discouraged. You rattle on all you want. We're here to get your back and hear you out, no matter what.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #90
Junior LCF Member

Don't listen to your inner demons.

[QUOTE=keepfitbrit;16466239]Hi everyone

So this is a bit of a turning point for me - not to beat myself up for not doing a workout and also to listen to my body. I'll take tomorrow as it comes, and try to do the best I can.

KEEPFITBRIT:

You put in some serious mileage on your feet. Don't be upset that you didn't get to callanetics. Maybe your body was telling you to take a break. Keep the negative thoughts at bay. Just remember you are doing what you can and as long as your moving don't judge yourself. Sometimes it is hard not to listen to our inner demons. But you have a wonderful support group and we are here to encourage one another.

Last edited by Ahviya; 06-11-2013 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: spelling