Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: meeko
Stats: 148/145/135
Callanetics, HIIT AND walking?

So at the beginning of the week I've really cracked down on exercising and eating about 80% clean. After many failed attempts at this over the past few weeks I'm proud that I've managed a successful week at sticking to my plan and not going on sugar binges, which is my downfall. Hopefully I'll keep this up. I've made sure I eat fruit/veg with every meal, eat very 2-3 hours and base my meals around protein, eating only a little grains and carbs. I eat between 1300 and 1600 calories per day, and don't want to go any lower than that.

Thing is, my exercise has basically consisted of Callanetics 6x per week and a daily 45 minute power walk at 4mph, which is about 3 miles.

I think I'd prefer to slow the walk down slightly so I enjoy it more but still keep it brisk at 3.5, keep up the Callanetics and add in a 15 minute HIIT session 4x per week with bodyweight exercises such as push ups, burpees etc.

My 4mph walking speed felt more like moderate exercise rather than the light exercise which was what I wanted, but if I slow it down I'll be burning less calories. I would rather do hard exercise with a daily light walk than just moderate.

Do you think this sounds like too much for my muscles though? I don't want to cut down on the Callanetics because that is the main focus of my routine. But I also don't want to fatigue my muscles too much. I know that they need to recover.
meeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Thefram4
Stats: 182/158/154 (5'8")
WOE: LC Paleo style
Start Date: June 2011 (this time round)
Hi there to someone just over the border

I am no expert but this sounds way too much, I know from past experience that it is difficult to keep up this kind of level without fatigue and then exhaustion which causes me to give up.

At the moment I am having great results with HIIT using the treadmill. I do 4 x 30sec sprints with rests in between and warm up/ cool down three times a week. It takes me 20mins max three times a week, And that's it!!

This seems to be burning my stubborn belly fat like nothing has before and I've only been doing it for 5 weeks.
Thefram4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Yeah I'm worried about the fatigue. My plan originally was to do Callanetics 6x because I'm impatient, and apparently it's okay to do it almost daily. I also need to do something every day or I get lazy and inconsistent. But Callanetics and a light walk just won't burn enough calories for me.

I've done HIIT before and after the initial muscle soreness I'm okay with it. In fact I did a few weeks of Insanity earlier this year but then had a very busy few weeks and dwindled out of it. I'd like to do HIIT again (even though I'm not the biggest fan of it) because it's good for fat loss and moderate cardio apparently burns muscle which is of course bad.

Hmmm... I might try this out for a week or two and if I end up fatigued and tired I'll split to HIIT 3x and Callanetics 3x with my walking.

Thanks for your help All the best with your health and fitness!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Hey Meeko!

I don't think anyone can tell you what is too much here. It really depends on your body. I do callanetics 4-5x per week (with some push-ups and pull-ups and squats thrown in for good measure, parkour 2-3x per week, inline speedskating 2-3x per week, plus I walk every day. That's why I do Callanetics in the morning - I have other things going on! And I don't feel like I'm doing all that much.

Is it too much? If you think about what people did just to keep their homes clean and put meals on the table 50-60 years ago, I'd say it amounts to more than what I do.

It's all about listening to your body. If you think about what the average person going to the gym does, they might suggest Callanetics 3-4x per week, HIIT 3x per week, and a shorter walk. But this is your body.

One thing you might want to do is work your way up to what you're doing. Considering your strength level right now, that might be a good idea.

My 2˘...
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.25
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 198 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Hey Meeko!

I don't think anyone can tell you what is too much here. It really depends on your body. I do callanetics 4-5x per week (with some push-ups and pull-ups and squats thrown in for good measure, parkour 2-3x per week, inline speedskating 2-3x per week, plus I walk every day. That's why I do Callanetics in the morning - I have other things going on! And I don't feel like I'm doing all that much.

Is it too much? If you think about what people did just to keep their homes clean and put meals on the table 50-60 years ago, I'd say it amounts to more than what I do.

It's all about listening to your body. If you think about what the average person going to the gym does, they might suggest Callanetics 3-4x per week, HIIT 3x per week, and a shorter walk. But this is your body.

One thing you might want to do is work your way up to what you're doing. Considering your strength level right now, that might be a good idea.

My 2˘...
Wow, sounds like you do a lot! You must look and feel fabulous

I think you're right. I'm going to have to experiment and see how it goes. Trial and error I guess. If it's too much for me I'll have to cut back but for now I'll see how it goes. Thank you.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: iseekjoy
Stats: 145/124/125
WOE: Pescetarian
I agree that everyone has a different response to exercise, although your program does sound quite intense! Just to share my experience- for some reason, my body responds better with less intense cardio, and Callanetics maybe 3x a week. Maybe the cardio was stressing my body in an unproductive way, I don't know. All I know is the lazier I got with cardio, the leaner my body became. Now my cardio consists of walking around the city with friends. Of course, we aren't the same person, and you know your body best, so definitely go with what feels good to you. Maybe your impulse to slow down the walk to make it more enjoyable was also your body letting you know that a slower pace would meet its needs better as well. My advice would be to enjoy your food and enjoy your workouts, then the right action for you will come about naturally.
iseekjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeko View Post
Wow, sounds like you do a lot! You must look and feel fabulous

I think you're right. I'm going to have to experiment and see how it goes. Trial and error I guess. If it's too much for me I'll have to cut back but for now I'll see how it goes. Thank you.
Ha! I suppose I'm getting there, but parkour and skating are seasonal, so I just restarted them again for the warmer months.

I should mention, too, when I walk, I saunter. I stop and smell the roses, stop and sit by the water, talk with some ducks or birds, climb a tree or two, saying hello to the trees. I walk because I enjoy the journey, I don't do it with the intent to exercise.

In fact, I don't do any of my activities with the intent to "exercise". I do them to have fun, or with Callanetics, because it makes me feel good. My body knows what it likes to do, and I do the ones that coincide with what my heart likes to do. And I NEVER call it "exercise". Somehow that takes all the fun out of it for me. I call it "playing".
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Playing... I really like that actually. It doesn't sound harsh and intimidating like exercise or "working out" does. Parkour and skating looks so cool, I wish I could do them. Unfortunately where I live is really rubbish for it and it's not a thing round here.

I don't really saunter anywhere. My natural walking pace is quite brisk. I walk my dog in my local park which is beautiful and I do enjoy it and observe the nature, but I still walk fast because it suits me. It's not solely to exercise, but I do COUNT it as exercise.

I started Callanetics with the intent of exercise but now I'm starting to really love it, and I think that even if I don't get the amazing results that other have reported I'll keep doing it because it's just so relaxing and I feel great afterwards

Today's HIIT actually reminded me that I CAN like it, after I get past the initial "oh my god this is killing me I can't do it and want to give up" stage. I've only really remembered dreading it in the beginning stages but I know if I keep consistent with it that I'll look forward to it and enjoy it.

I may just start calling it "playing" from now on haha