Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Lookin' good Meeko!

Rana! Good to hear you're back! Gentle though, eh?

Well, I just finished another hour, and I feel great! A little bloated, but what can ya do??? There were so many subtle improvements today! My neck stretches weren't as stiff or sore in those tiny shoulder muscles, I'm at least a millimeter more flexible in my lower back, hips, and legs, and I'm feeling stronger! I noticed my posture is a lot better today too!

As some of you know, I'm also doing other things along with 10/10, but it doesn't take me longer, because I'm able to do them while she's talking in between the other movements. I don't recommend adding anything, until you know the technique of the 10/10 well. Anyway, these are the things I'm adding:
-Push-ups around the time of the stomach exercises (just on my knees for now).
-The Super ab movement with your arms flapping by your side.
-A Wall Squat or the Super leg Extensions just before the hip rotations.
-An extra leg stretch before the floor stretches - sitting on floor, feet together, leaning forward.

I also think that whoever wrote that song for Flashdance, was doing Callanetics, and heard the song during the... is it the thigh stretch???

Anyway, have a wonderful day, and Happy Pulsing!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 185 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 05-13-2013 at 06:19 AM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopefulsweigh
Stats: 155/151.4/139
Start Date: JUDDD restart - Sept 2014
I scheduled Tues, Thurs and Saturday as Callanetics days this week.
Hopefulsweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Hi All,

Loved checking in and seeing how busy and active this thread is Sorry, that I'm not around very much but I've been filming the workouts for my new website and now getting ready for another film shoot next week.

Anyway, I haven't been able to read through everything in detail but picked up on a couple of things.

First up here's a pic of standing pelvic rotations as an alternative to kneeling. So if kneeling is right out of the question this is a great way to do this. I often teach it to a full class following the leg workout as it's great for the legs.

Also, one other query that jumped out was regarding shoulder alignment during abs. I've also attached a pic of Adelaide (my Callanetics Instructor daughter in-law) demonstrating. The correct way to get in to position for all ab routines. Is to first release one hand then check that your shoulder blades are eased down towards your hips and then widen them out to side. Then release the other hand gently. This will keep the upper body 'switched on' and engage the upper abs deeper. So, while you are pulsing it's important not to allow your shoulders to rise up to your ears this can promote a collapsing in towards your pelvis and a loss of the counterpull from sitbone to crown (the ends that lengthen away from each other).
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 2.28.03 PM.png (71.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 2.28.25 PM.png (77.2 KB, 28 views)
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/209.9/145 5'4" 34 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 2014
I finally tried the Super Callanetics disc last night - holy shamoly! I was able to keep up at first since it was fairly similar to 10/10. Then the behind/hips exercises came in. My hips cramped up pretty good, so I had to stop partway through those. I continued on with the workout until it was over. I am sore today - feels good! I'll probably incorporate this workout into the 10/10 once per week for the next month. I can see this really building up my strength a lot more, and I'm excited.

So, I guess that is 8/24 for me. I am taking today as a rest day, will start again with 10/10 tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mandiew
3/8 today, did 10/10 this morning.

The legs in Super get me too, and the abs! I do my best but I never manage to do all the abs, particularly the one with your arms waving about at the side, the lower I get the less I do haha!
mandiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #96
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: meeko
Stats: 148/145/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
Hi All,

Loved checking in and seeing how busy and active this thread is Sorry, that I'm not around very much but I've been filming the workouts for my new website and now getting ready for another film shoot next week.

Anyway, I haven't been able to read through everything in detail but picked up on a couple of things.

First up here's a pic of standing pelvic rotations as an alternative to kneeling. So if kneeling is right out of the question this is a great way to do this. I often teach it to a full class following the leg workout as it's great for the legs.

Also, one other query that jumped out was regarding shoulder alignment during abs. I've also attached a pic of Adelaide (my Callanetics Instructor daughter in-law) demonstrating. The correct way to get in to position for all ab routines. Is to first release one hand then check that your shoulder blades are eased down towards your hips and then widen them out to side. Then release the other hand gently. This will keep the upper body 'switched on' and engage the upper abs deeper. So, while you are pulsing it's important not to allow your shoulders to rise up to your ears this can promote a collapsing in towards your pelvis and a loss of the counterpull from sitbone to crown (the ends that lengthen away from each other).
Sandrahanna! I was browsing through old threads looking up tips for form and came across pictures of you from 2008. You look fabulous, very motivational

Thank you for the advice. I'm still working on pelvic floor and counterpulls. I understand the concept pretty well but my pelvic floor seems quite weak and I can only hold it for so long.
meeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverrain View Post
holy shamoly!
Ha ha! Thanks for making me laugh Jen!

Well, I have decided that since my inflexibility is a deterrent in my life, on my "days off" Callanetics, such as today, I am still going to do the stretches. It doesn't take long at all and I combined them with some breath focussed yoga moves. The result was a very relaxed me, ready for a day less complicated. I find when I stretch every day, it is only beneficial. So....
Old 05-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Ha ha! Thanks for making me laugh Jen!
You're welcome!
Silverrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Another hour completed! I had to work earlier today though, so I had to focus on being in the moment and relax while I did my hour, otherwise I felt rushed. I didn't like that at all.

I just want to note too, for the stomach exercises, the relaxing of all the other body parts is key to isolating those abs. It's not easy, but once you learn to relax them, I mean really relax them, you'll notice a huge difference in the difficulty level, as in it get harder because you're not using any other muscles to help you.

Hopefulsweigh, for the hip and behind exercises, you're going to be essentially leaning on your elbow, not your hands. So you're still going to be propped up slightly, just not hanging. The other arm can be brought up too, like on the side bend, kind of like you're pretending to hold onto a bar. So basically, it's the same position, with pelvis forward and shoulders relaxed, but lower. I hope that makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepfitbrit View Post
Jigglebuster - Those additional exercises you are doing during the 10/10 sound great and fitting them in one hour aswell - Wow!
I'm not rushing at all though, I just know the workout very well - I've done well over 200 hours of this video, and I play it every single time I do it - so I know the "breaks" well too and just take advantage. I simply go from one exercise to the next at a very relaxed pace. A lot of the time, I'm doing a different exercise than she is (one ahead or one behind), but I don't mind; I like hearing her voice.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #100
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marianne
I'm very happy with my results (I do both callanetics and callanetics evolution over a year now) but I'd like to slim my waist down.
Sandrahanna, can you give me some advice?

And how can you generally intense all the exercises (I can do all advanced version in CE), should I do more reps or should I all the exercises with more concentration?
marianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianne View Post
I'm very happy with my results (I do both callanetics and callanetics evolution over a year now) but I'd like to slim my waist down.
Sandrahanna, can you give me some advice?

And how can you generally intense all the exercises (I can do all advanced version in CE), should I do more reps or should I all the exercises with more concentration?

The key is to ensure that you are thoroughly stretched out of pelvis up through your spine and also to keep both heels firmly rooted down in to the floor. Check that when you stretch UP and OVER that the heel on the working side hasn't lifted...even slightly !!! Also, keep your ribcage relaxed down and aligned over your pelvis...avoid allowing it to move forward as this will 'switch off' your waist and abdominal muscles.

Relax your waist and hip (and when I say 'relax' I mean 'melt' completely and utterly. Keep your shoulder blades down towards hips and wide. The shoulders must not rise up to ears. Remind yourself that the stretch is up through the spine and not from the hip up through shoulders. This makes a huge difference to the exercise and stretch. One thing is that it's easier to breathe

Focus on the pulse coming from the waist only and not the ribcage

I sometimes like to teach both Evolution and traditional Waist exercise in class. So, we do 75 traditional and then move in to wide format for the Evo style.

You can intensify every single exercise by relaxing more. When you're in position just breathe deeply and on each exhale relax your body more and more whilst you focus on lengthening further out through the counterpulls. It really becomes imagery once you're in position and pulsing. Imagine that your counterpulls are infinite...they go beyond the crown of your head and heels.

Relaxing every single muscle group, even the muscles you're training and allowing your body to open, think expansive, billowing outwards while you pulse or hold a stretch. This is the key to gaining absolute control over your body and feeling and seeing the spectacular results.

Everytime I do a workout for myself I'm blown away with how my body has sculpted magnificently the next day. It never fails to amaze me and I fall in love with Callanetics all over again and so grateful for the day I bought Callan's first book

Let me know how you go Marianne but it really comes down to focusing more on your technique and relaxing (melting) during your workout. Technique, form become more and more important and it's part of the learning process. In the beginning it's normal for movements to be jerky, bigger than they need to be and less coordination. This is natural and how the brain works. But after a few times the learning phase moves in to refining your technique as it will take up less space in the brain. So, movements will become smaller, especially as you maintain counter pulls and smoother.

When you are performing your waist exercise, or any of them, try to do it in front of a mirror and see how much movement there is. If you can see a definite movement of your torso and it's more than a 1/4inch than you definitely can refine your technique. You should barely be able to see it but most definitely see it.

Sorry, for going on too long Marianne I tend to get Callanetics verbal diarrhoea
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rana
Stats: Originally 168/162/135 (5'3)
WOE: Trying to eat healty
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeko View Post
I hope you're feeling okay

:
Thank you Meeko I finnally feel a bit better...

Did my 5/15 for the month eventhough i was feeling weak starting i felt energized after, love love callanetics!
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marianne
Sandrahanna, wow, thank you for explaining everything so well, I truly enjoyed this post and callanetics
marianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Logging in my 9th session. I don't think I'm going to make it to 24 sessions this month, though. I think 20 is more doable, especially since life events took me away from exercising for a couple days. 20 is still a great goal for one month, though, and there's always next month to add more.

So, from here on out: 9/20.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #105
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: whistlemytune
WOE: Callanetics and Pilates
Start Date: 16th May 2013
Hi guys! I'm Bex, 27 and a new mum of a 13 week old!

I hope I can join you half way through the month. I'm brand new to Callanetics, and to these forums.

My DVD (10 in 10) came in the post today, and I completed it after putting my little boy to bed. I'm surprisingly achey! I'd love to challenge myself monthly - I want to do the DVD every other day during the week (with weekends off), alternating 2 and 3 times a week. So, next week I'll do Mon, Wed and Fri, then Tues and Thurs the following week.

So I am 1/6 down for May!

Keep up the good work everyone!
whistlemytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Hi Bex -
I only just joined this month too and have already found loads of information out from this thread and looking back at past months aswell.
Congratulations on your baby - being a new Mum is a wonderful time.
Hope you enjoy your callanetics DVD - I admire you fitting it around all the challenges of having a new baby.
I find the pause button very useful (not just for "breathers") but for when the kids need your attention for 5 minutes. I sometimes do the "arms swinging" in the warm up again before I continue.

1 more hour down for me today then 3 times next week.
Still sticking to Evolution but might try cardio callanetics DVD soon - is anybody else using cardio callanetics and how do they find it?
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Bex!
You're going to be amazed at what Callanetics can do for you.

keepfitbrit, I have done Cardio Callanetics. I'm not very graceful doing it, but I do when it's raining outside, and I can't go out and do my other activities. So I still do my 10/10; it's not a replacement for 10/10 for me. I haven't done it this spring yet, it's been nice out, but I keep it in mind for those days that are sure to come. I do know that when I did it before, I found it helped dramatically in shrinking my hips. And yes I like it and think it's a very good program.

----------------

Well, I just finished hour 9 for this month. My noticeable improvement for today was that I tried to do the floor stretches with my legs straight, because I noticed my legs were getting wider and the stretches, while not easy, were more relaxed when bent somewhat. Anyway, I could do it! I was bending from the right place too, whereas before, if you remember, I was bending from the waist. However, I can only open my legs about 2.75 feet so far. But it's a start! I still have the pillow rolled under my butt too, but once my legs get further apart, I might try taking it away, or rolling it less. In the meantime, I'll continue doing both, with 50 with my legs bent and wider apart, and 50 with my legs straightened. This makes me so happy!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Bex!! Happy to have you here. Your body will adjust very soon, but it is common to be a bit sore at first. That just means it's working!!

Want to log in 10/20. Will do another session tonight. Tomorrow is a rest day.

Happy Friday, all!!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My noticeable improvement for today was that I tried to do the floor stretches with my legs straight, because I noticed my legs were getting wider and the stretches, while not easy, were more relaxed when bent somewhat. Anyway, I could do it! I was bending from the right place too, whereas before, if you remember, I was bending from the waist. This makes me so happy!
And I'm happy for you! Keep it up - this program is so amazing!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverrain View Post
And I'm happy for you! Keep it up - this program is so amazing!
Thanks Jen! It is amazing, isn't it!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: whistlemytune
WOE: Callanetics and Pilates
Start Date: 16th May 2013
Thanks everyone. I'm alternating a Pilates DVD too, and did that today.
whistlemytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #112
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marthaquest
hello everyone

The last week we've been taking down trees on our property & that has been my #1 project so I've fallen behind on this board. I've been doing some callane in the a.m. and also some stretches at night but not a full hour. However --- I sawed & cleared brush & hauled & was a tree cuttin' person MORE than the guys who are much stronger & bigger than I, so this Callanetics must work!! and no sore muscles or injuries except for a blister or 2 of poison oak on one finger. :-)

We live in the forests of Northern California so trees are no joke. But now, when we're almost done, there is lots of sun shining through on our house so it's all worth it. And plenty of firewood for next winter is stacked on the deck.

I have my DVD ready to go so will log back in in an hour & also will read through all of your posts for this last week :-)

xxx
marthaquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Yes Bex! and I take my hat of to you for starting exercising already

I have done my 6/15 tonite. I started doing Evo but i just couldnt help switching to 10/10....

In the end i have exercised 1hour 25 min instead of 1 hour and i dod feel quite tired now
.. i think i am just going to keep doing 10/10 integrating few evo moves to it. I just love 10/10 so much and also find it more challanging too that i cant see myself ever doing only evo (even though there are great moves there).. but i do find evo very informative in lot of ways as well becuase you can learn so much from that dvd too. I guess they just really comletly complement each other. ..

Old 05-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

10 hours done! I really focussed on relaxing those muscles of mine, and noticed quite a big difference in how far I could stretch, and how easy or hard the movements were.

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 05-18-2013 at 06:58 AM..
Old 05-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #115
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amata
Stats: 5'3" getting to slim and healthy
WOE: Fewer and healthier calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepfitbrit View Post
:
Still sticking to Evolution but might try cardio callanetics DVD soon - is anybody else using cardio callanetics and how do they find it?
Hi there keepfitbrit and all other Callan fans!

I don't post often but read everything and think it's great there are so many enthusiasts!

I do Cardio Callanetics in the morning and it loosens everything up, giving me a nice "buzzing" body all day.
I couldn't do it all the way through in the beginning, because I found it tough (though it looks so easy). And not knowing the choreography well, made it really something I wanted to do unseen. But, sticking with it, I've found it to be a great all-round relaxing, and even toning, session. There's always enough challenge as far as improving form and making it more graceful is concerned. Doing it mindfully brings the best results, I've found, and keeps boredom away.
I do Cardio Callanetics with juice and yoghurt handy, as it can be too much for me on a completely empty stomach, but I do love it first thing in the morning, preferring toning and stretching exercises in the evening.

In short, very enjoyable and effective in making you feel good in your body, but something you have to take time to get used to. Good luck!

Monique
Amata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #116
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marthaquest
I managed 5/25 last night & fell asleep immediately afterwards.

So nice to read everyone's enthusiasm & the pointers on form.

I'm going to do my 6th wo as soon as I have some coffee.
marthaquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sldeal
Stats: 187/165/150
WOE: Atkins 72/Fast5
Start Date: December 27, 2012
Hi guys, sorry I haven't been posting, been extremely busy. I'm now 10/20 today. I'm definitely noticing a difference in the way my clothes are hanging on me now.

Sandrahanna - thanks for the tips! I have to keep reminding myself to relax and not rush.
sldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sldeal
Stats: 187/165/150
WOE: Atkins 72/Fast5
Start Date: December 27, 2012
Quote:
Count me in! One hour already done!

I'm not sure what happened, but all I can say is Callanetics is... Magical! I actually met and even surpassed my measurement goals on the majority of my body!!! I don't know what I weigh now (no scale), but I'm sure I lost there too. Now my main goal is to get my strength, posture, and flexibility in order, and that is definitely coming along, slowly but surely!

I am so grateful to Callan. Her contribution to this world has helped me on so many levels.

Thank you Callan!
DEFINITELY WORTH JUMPING UP & DOWN OVER CONGRATS!
sldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

7/15 and feels so good to feel almost half way my goal for this month! (the sickness throw me really back but i think i will be able to make it 15!)

Everybody is so motivationg here keep up the good work folks
Old 05-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi everyone....was gone 5 days and forgot my password to get back in!!! You are all doing so well and we have so many new people that it's very exciting.

I'm so happy that Sandra popped in a few times to answer questions and post photos. Sandra, if you check again, I would love to know what to do about my neck..injured in a gymnastic accident some 35 years ago and it hurts to "hold my head up" on the abs exercises....lots of 100 pulses over and over. I support my head usually with one hand when it starts really hurting, and then switch hands to make it "even", but is there a better way?!

I've continued my 2 days of upper body heavy weight lifting at the gym, and now we add in several Super Callanetics exercises at the end instead of the usual abs moves. But I still like the Super DVD better than the 10/10 as the counting goes faster!!! ha ha

I'm 10/10 today, so that is exciting for me. I've also been doing the elliptical trainer on HIIT so I've really been doing well with exercise (maybe why I haven't been online?)

I did my weight and measurements for the first 2 weeks (tomorrow is #3) and I gained weight and GAINED inches everywhere I measured. I am hoping for a big change tomorrow as my weight is finally not going up, but is coming back down. I changed my eating and I think that has also helped.

Keep up the good work everyone! I am definitely doing the pelvic rotations standing up with bent knees (helps a lot!) and also the hip ones (size and back///bent/straight leg) leaning to the side...first to the elbow as someone recommended, and now I'm actually putting my hand near my hip and able to get that leg off the floor! Woo hoo! Putting my hands over my head affects my neck too much, so this modification works for this old body!!!!