Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulsweigh View Post
Well I did the stretches and all stomach exercises tonight! Whew! Might be a while before I can do the whole CD at once. Whew! Intense!
Hope, you're doing great!!! Little by little we will all get through the entire program without stopping, but just the fact we are starting and doing all we can is wonderful! Sure beats sitting on the sofa eating bon bons and watching TV! ha ha

Keep up the good work!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeko View Post

By feel it in the calves, I mean that I can feel my calves straining and helping me in scooping back up. I'll try to use my inner thighs more though, it's probably a strength issue because my legs are quite weak.
Meeko...one of the things I do when feeling fatigue is to change the position of my feet....I keep the same knee bend, but I put my feet hip width apart and have my toes facing forward and the knees going directly forward as well. I saw her doing that in something...either a beginning book/DVD or online. Try it and see if it still gives you the same effect with the "scoop" and if it relieves the heels....or put knees and feet together and also squeeze the knees together to get those darned inner thighs.

One thing I learned in teaching over 30 years is that *modifications* are often necessary. We don't all have the same bodies. And another thing....there is a woman (Teresa Tapp) that enlightened me to the fact that we all have a different difference from the bottom of the ribs (at the side) to the top of the hipbone. Some have less than 1" (me) and other have 4"! So, leaning to the side is lots easier for someone with more "space" between the ribs and hips. And since our bodies are so very different (and I'm not talking about weight/size) in *structure*.....some of us have to make modifications.

I hope we all find out way of what works best for us.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

OK...just finished #5/10. Wow, it's exhausting, but I can see myself getting stronger.

I want to thank jiggle (think it was you) who recommended the butt/leg exercises done on the floor can be done leaning on the elbow instead of hands overhead. That really helped me! I might have to get the evolution DVD after all??? I'm getting quite a collection.

My apologies for my comments above. I really have NO IDEA how the Callanetics program is done...I"m only using my background in ballet and pilates for my thoughts. I can't edit them out as they are "set in stone" right now, but I do hope Sandra (think that is who is the instructor of Callanetics is) jumps in and helps us. I don't do facebook so can't link to the sites recommended.

Again, sorry for my words and hope they didn't get anyone in a pickle!

Last edited by shelley; 05-08-2013 at 12:30 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AddysMommy
Stats: 188.5/185/145 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: april 2012, restart feb 2014
Sorry I'm joining a bit late in the month but I just got my 10 in 10 in the mail yesterday, and I made it the whole way through!!! Today I can hardly walk, lol, but I will do it again tomorrow!! I'm having my bf take before pics tonight. I'm soooo excited to see a change in my body. Baby #5 did me in!!!! I saw in a previous post someone said there is an alternate way to do the pelvic rotations? I had lower back surgery several years ago and that was the only move I really had difficulty with. Any info would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!!
AddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: meeko
Stats: 148/145/135
Thank you Shelley, I'll try to take your advice on board during my next hour
meeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

meeko cool name! My real name is Niko, pronounced Neeko lol!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMommy View Post
Sorry I'm joining a bit late in the month but I just got my 10 in 10 in the mail yesterday, and I made it the whole way through!!! Today I can hardly walk, lol, but I will do it again tomorrow!! I'm having my bf take before pics tonight. I'm soooo excited to see a change in my body. Baby #5 did me in!!!! I saw in a previous post someone said there is an alternate way to do the pelvic rotations? I had lower back surgery several years ago and that was the only move I really had difficulty with. Any info would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!!
Welcome Niko....the more the merrier, so I'm glad you're here!!!!

Re: the alternate way to do pelvic rotations, we've got a group of us with bad knees and bad backs and these are the things we've come up with from instructional old videos, books, and common sense. Again, I wish Sandra would come help us!!!!

1. Sit in a chair with arms and support your body lifting off the chair doing them (I didn't like this personally at all)

2. Kneel, but stay "up" on your knees with lower legs at right angle to the upper legs and do the movement from there.

3. Stand either with legs together or a bit apart (hip width), bend knees and do the rotations from there.

4. Don't do them.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopefulsweigh
Stats: 155/150.2/139
Start Date: JUDDD restart - Sept 2014
I did the whole thing

and it is the eve of a DD.

I modified the hip/behind exercise by leaning to the side instead of holding something above. Thanks for the tip.

I had a quiet late night session to myself and my body feels rejuvenated.

Why is my 10/10 hour workout is 53 minutes
Hopefulsweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hope, you're doing great!!! Little by little we will all get through the entire program without stopping, but just the fact we are starting and doing all we can is wonderful! Sure beats sitting on the sofa eating bon bons and watching TV! ha ha

Keep up the good work!
I did it, and am feeling all zen like now , time for bed.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMommy View Post
meeko cool name! My real name is Niko, pronounced Neeko lol!
Thank you, you have a cool real name. My real name is Nicole, so I guess it's similar but a little plainer haha.

So I ended up skipping my Callanetics last night. I got to the stomach exercises and I was still shaking and jerking even without moving, even though my stomach muscles aren't that weak. I took this as a sign that my body should rest for a day. I've also noticed that it feels slightly fatigued... Not physically sore or very achy, but a kind of tiredness in the muscles. Hopefully tonight I'll feel stronger and more rested.

I couldn't resist measuring even though I've only done a few hours back to back. I've found my waist is 0.2 inches bigger, so I'm putting this down to the pulling up before in that happens.

Current measurements:
Bust: 35.5
Waist: 28.3
Hips/butt: 38.3

I don't think it's my diet as I've been walking a lot and eating about 80-90% clean, keeping my calories between 1300 and 1500. Could just be bloating but I hope it's progress! Although it is only 0.2, could be anything.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulsweigh View Post
I did the whole thing

and it is the eve of a DD.

I modified the hip/behind exercise by leaning to the side instead of holding something above. Thanks for the tip.

I had a quiet late night session to myself and my body feels rejuvenated.

Why is my 10/10 hour workout is 53 minutes
I find leaning to the side is much better than holding onto something. I find it easier to relax that way and focus on stretching out and the contraction of the hip.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/206.2/145 5'4" 34 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Everyone is doing so well!! I have to do a lot of modifications due to my knees and lower back, but it still works! Don't be afraid to try different modifications to see what works best for you. This exercise is so wonderful.

I had to skip my session last night as my day ran very long. I'll do my next tonight and continue my plan from there. Tomorrow I will attempt the Super Callanetics and report back with my thoughts on it compared to 10/10.
Silverrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Decorative
I want to like Super Callanetics. But I just really like 10/10. And evolution. And AM/PM.

Maybe as I get stronger Super will be better, but it just doesn't make me as happy.
Decorative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Decorative, that is exactly what I am hoping will not happen to me. I have Evolution, too. I'll eventually get around to trying all of them to see which one I like the most, but it's hard because of how much I love 10/10.

Also, does anyone else hum the music from 10/10 during the day? It's constantly stuck in my head!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rana
Stats: Originally 168/162/135 (5'3)
WOE: Trying to eat healty
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorative View Post
I want to like Super Callanetics. But I just really like 10/10. And evolution. And AM/PM.

Maybe as I get stronger Super will be better, but it just doesn't make me as happy.
This is how i exactly feel too!! I think though super callanetics is WAY MORE challanging than 10/10 I feel like there should be another DVD in between that will be called "Advanced Callanetics" before you can swithch to super callanetics. I just have a hard time to belive you can do super even if you master 10/10 or Evo.. So for me i think i get discouraged everytime becuase it is far more advanced than 10/10 and Evo...

Btw havent done my 4th yet have been in bed for three days from strep throath I hope i can reach my goal of 15 this month!

Last edited by rana; 05-09-2013 at 09:29 AM..
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: planetbenjamin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
This is how i exactly feel too!! I think though super callanetics is WAY MORE challanging than 10/10 I feel like there should be another DVD in between that will be called "Advanced Callanetics" before you can swithch to super callanetics. I just have a hard time to belive you can do super even if you master 10/10 or Evo.. So for me i think i get discouraged everytime becuase it is far more advanced than 10/10 and Evo...

Btw havent done my 4th yet have been in bed for three days from strep throath I hope i can reach my goal of 15 this month!
I still struggle to get through a full Super Callanetics workout even after all these years. I spoke with Callan herself about this and she said she never taught Super Callanetics as an actual class in her studio. She would always teach her basic 10/10 routine and then add in certain Super exercises for the students who needed a bit extra. We discussed the idea of making new DVDs with an interactive element. You would press a button if you wanted to do some extra exercises for that particular section. I have no idea how that would work but it sounded like a good idea. I hope it's something we can get done in the near future.
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

2 hours down!! Thank You for the modifications, I did the pelvic rotation standing up. My lower back on the right side hurts. So sore!!! I don't hurt as bad as I did the first time but we'll see how I feel tomorrow!!! I probably won't have another chance to do it until Monday. busy busy weekend!!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:06 AM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Another hour complete

Stomach muscles were fine and I'm getting there with the pelvic scoops. I feel as though I'm better with form on my right side than my left side though, haha. Feel as though my butt has lifted but I may just be imagining things :P
Old 05-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Feeling great! Yesterday managed warm up and stomach!
Today I will do the whole thing!
I just need to relax and enjoy it, because it does feel great!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetbenjamin View Post
I still struggle to get through a full Super Callanetics workout even after all these years. I spoke with Callan herself about this and she said she never taught Super Callanetics as an actual class in her studio. She would always teach her basic 10/10 routine and then add in certain Super exercises for the students who needed a bit extra. We discussed the idea of making new DVDs with an interactive element. You would press a button if you wanted to do some extra exercises for that particular section. I have no idea how that would work but it sounded like a good idea. I hope it's something we can get done in the near future.
Thanks Benjamin! It makes sense that it wasnt meant to be a full workout class by itself. (ofcourse can be but just way too challanging and eventually discouraging for most of us). I should also add some of the super to my 10/10 routine after i am strong enough and need challange.. Interactive element sounds like a great idea as well. Thanks for saying even you sturggle get through the full session, that makes me feel a lot more "normal" so to say
Old 05-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Hi everyone, I'm new .
I've just registered and have been looking to find others who also love callanetics. It is not something that is known about in my area but years ago (mid 90's) my mother-in-law had the callanetics book which inspired me to try it out. Then, I got the VHS and did the workout with my friend. Fast-forward to now, (and a very unfit mum of two), I found the book again, remembered how great the exercises were and looked online for DVD's.

The book I have, covers the one-hour program, advanced callanetics and super callanetics. Last month I started the evolution DVD and so far in May I have done 7 workouts. I bought the cardio DVD aswell but I think I will focus on the evolution for now.

I admire everyone trying the super callanetics I tried the VHS in the 90's and they are really powerful exercises. The open and close one is so difficult and because my stomach muscles were so weak my back would take over almost immediately. I'm nowhere near ready to try open and close yet.

Since starting last month, I feel a difference in my shape and posture but struggle to keep the rest of my body relaxed during the exercises especially the shoulders -but I suppose this will improve in time.
Also, if anybody knows the Evolution DVD the leg exercise where you pulse with the leg out to the front, side and then back is a bit similar to the hip and behind standing out to the side exercise that is in Super. I tend to favour doing the Super version during the Evolution workout, if that makes sense. Are they the same exercise really?

Anyway, sorry for the long first post, really pleased I've found you all!
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Oh my goodness...just finished Super Callanetics....#2 of Super, #6 of both Super and 10/10. No way can I do all the exercises, but I do what I can. Some well, and others, well, let's just say that they are super hard!

Keepfitbrit...welcome...and I totally agree about the open/close ones. I do 2, rest for 2, do 2, rest for 2. I am also doing the exercises sitting on the feet with the hip rotations holding onto the "barre" which is actually the metal rod on my longarm quilting machine!!! Little by little I will start releasing the death grip, but it's getting my thighs to understand the pelvic rotations, circle 8's, etc. for "memory"....That's my theory.

Now I'm going to go have breakfast. I'm wiped out and haven't even started my day. Those of you who are energized immediately after the routine are my heros....hope I get to that point one of these days. For now...I just want to lie in a hammock and have my DH bring me a fresh lemonade with a straw! But I think I'll go have a decent breakfast with protein instead!

How is everyone else doing. Anyone else try the Super??? It's a killer for sure, but just do what you can. Lots of different exercises that go " deeper " than the 10/10, but do-able if you take it as you can do it...don't push. Just get new "memory" for the muscles.

Last edited by shelley; 05-11-2013 at 11:19 AM..
Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mandiew
2/10 of Super. Slacking a bit as training for a half marathon so focusing on running and weights really. Also training my 6 year old as she wants to do a 5k race so not leaving much time for Callanetics. Aiming to get 8 though hopefully so will try my best!
mandiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: keepfitbrit
Start Date: 9th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Oh my goodness...just finished Super Callanetics....#2 of Super, #6 of both Super and 10/10. No way can I do all the exercises, but I do what I can. Some well, and others, well, let's just say that they are super hard!

Keepfitbrit...welcome...and I totally agree about the open/close ones. I do 2, rest for 2, do 2, rest for 2. I am also doing the exercises sitting on the feet with the hip rotations holding onto the "barre" which is actually the metal rod on my longarm quilting machine!!! Little by little I will start releasing the death grip, but it's getting my thighs to understand the pelvic rotations, circle 8's, etc. for "memory"....That's my theory.

Now I'm going to go have breakfast. I'm wiped out and haven't even started my day. Those of you who are energized immediately after the routine are my heros....hope I get to that point one of these days. For now...I just want to lie in a hammock and have my DH bring me a fresh lemonade with a straw! But I think I'll go have a decent breakfast with protein instead!

How is everyone else doing. Anyone else try the Super??? It's a killer for sure, but just do what you can. Lots of different exercises that go " deeper " than the 10/10, but do-able if you take it as you can do it...don't push. Just get new "memory" for the muscles.
Hi Shelley. Thanks for the tip on the open and close I might be brave enough to try this exercise soon! You seem to be adding some super exercises into the 10/10, is that right?
I would like to do the rotations again and not just the scoop as the Evolution DVD just does the scoop (although it is slightly different to the original one that is in the one hour program). I think I will add it in and then maybe later the open and close (can't avoid it forever).

Did one hour of Evolution today so up to #8 this month and #18 since I started in April. I think I will have a rest day tomorrow and start again Monday.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
keepfitbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Super sounds... well... super hard. Quite scary actually! But no way am I there yet. I applaud anyone daring enough to try haha.

Just finished my 5th hour this week. Actually I'm just going to say 5th hour in general because my form was poor in the first few. I'm very relaxed and ready for bed.

I think I solved my waist stretch problem: my arm wasn't far enough forward on my hip and I wasn't taking enough of the weight on it. I also had my shoulder tensed up towards my neck, AND my pelvis wasn't tilted forward enough. I've mostly just realised how important all of the pelvic tilts are. So I'm not dreading that as much now.

I'm also stretching my body further upwards and tilting my pelvis more in the pelvic scoops which is helping me to lift with my thighs and not my calves. Still needs improvement though.

My all time favourite is the hip exercises though. My butt has been sore for a couple of days now and I can really feel it just now. This is exciting since it's the part of me that needs the most work.

I'm going to take "before" pictures soon and also measure on my 10th hour Hope everyone is doing well and seeing improvements! I've been noticing slight changes recently just when glimpsing myself in mirrors etc.

Good night everyone
Old 05-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Another hour completed! And more cracking, popping and snapping, and a bit of crunching, in my hamstrings, lower back, and this time in my knees (strange feeling, and again not a bad one).

Oh! i wanted to say too. I was able to straighten my legs (again, only for a moment), with both legs in the air, before my final stomach exercise!!! Yay!

Keepfitbrit!!!

Meeko, each time you do Callanetics, you will hear more and more, because you won't need to focus on the basics of the technique, which will free you to focus on the subtleties. Today, as I was doing the pelvic scoop, I heard her say, "keep the torso straight", so I hope this helps. Good job on using your inner thighs more!

Silverrain, I have to say, no, I don't get the songs stuck in my head. Ha ha!

Hopefulsweigh, good job!!! Congrats on getting it done!

Thanks Planetbenjamin! that info on Super will help me decide how to approach Super in the future... more incorporation than switching.
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.25
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 198 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 05-12-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #87
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Meeko, each time you do Callanetics, you will hear more and more, because you won't need to focus on the basics of the technique, which will free you to focus on the subtleties. Today, as I was doing the pelvic scoop, I heard her say, "keep the torso straight", so I hope this helps. Good job on using your inner thighs more!
Yes I noticed this! Sometimes I'll hear her say something and I'll think "oh, has she been saying this all this time??" It's so important to listen but often I get wrapped up in the exercises.

Did my HIIT today which I surprisingly enjoyed. I'm actually putting this down to strength gain due to Callanetics, because instead of thinking "ughhhhh I just want to give up" the whole time which I usually do, I was very focused and determined! I really think it's the Callanetics and how you have to concentrate on each move, and it's carrying over to my other exercise

About to do my 6th hour and relaaaaaaax. Can't wait.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Well after being in bed for the most part of the week finally did 4/15 yesterday. Hope to catch up this week!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
Well after being in bed for the most part of the week finally did 4/15 yesterday. Hope to catch up this week!
I hope you're feeling okay

I measured myself today and also took "before" pictures. I'm not going to post the pictures but I also re-measured myself:

0 hours:
Neck: 11.75
Bust: 35.5
Under bust: 30
Waist: 28.1
Hips: 38.3

6 hours:
Neck: 11.5
Arm: 11.5
Bust: 34.6
Under bust: 29
Waist: 27.5
Lower abs: 33.25
Hips: 38.25
Upper thigh: 23.3
Middle thigh: 21.5
Knee: 15.3
Calve: 15

I think at 0 hours my lower abs were something like 34-34.5 give or take, and my thigh was something like 22-22.5 . I am pleased with the results so far! This is in a week, combined with regular walking and mostly clean eating (still allow myself a few treats here and there). I don't own scales but I should have lost about 1.5 pounds, but even if I haven't it doesn't really matter because I've lost inches. I am curious as to what I weigh though haha.

Both sets of measurements were taken when I first got up in the morning, after going to the toilet, before eating and without clothing I also made sure that my stomach was completely relaxed, and I used a mirror to make sure my measuring tape was in the correct positions.

However I think when I took my first hip measurements that the tape was too far up, not along the middle of my butt. So I think I've probably lost a little more there than what these measurements suggest. Even if I haven't I am still happy because my behind does look slightly more shapely and lifted compared to last week.

I'm going to measure after 10 hours, and then probably again at 20 hours, if I can resist for that long haha
Old 05-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Logging in two more hours over the weekend, bringing my total to 7/24.