Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Organic and nothing packaged and 70% raw.
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Snap Crackle Pop!

One more hour this morning! That make 3 so far.

Interestingly, while doing the leg stretches, I reached up and oooover, and "Pop!" (a snappy kind of pop).... The back of my knee snapped into a different position, and it happened on both legs. It didn't feel bad either, in fact, it felt like it was a good thing!

And too, I heard and felt a snap in my inner shoulder, and that knot I've been battling is now half the size. Just like that!

I love Callanetics!
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/209.9/145 5'4" 34 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 2014
Sorry I haven't been posting - I have had a crazy weekend, sure to continue well into this week. I have completed 3 hours of Callanetics this month thus far. I will attempt to get in an hour, but I will be working until 8:00 tonight, so unsure if I'll be able to fit it in. I am missing it!
Silverrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: puglove
Six days into May and I haven't done a single workout! I really need to catch up!
puglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Julius

Hi all:

I am glad that I found this thread. I am SO NEW to Callanetics but would like to try. I tried to find a studio that teaches Callanetics but could not find in NY area. So, I went to the Amazon website and found several DVDs, but am so lost and do not know which one to try.

Could any of you give me a heads up and let me know which ones are good to try? I did some yoga, pilates previously and am familiar with mat workouts. Thanks in advance!
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: planetbenjamin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sese View Post
Hi all:

I am glad that I found this thread. I am SO NEW to Callanetics but would like to try. I tried to find a studio that teaches Callanetics but could not find in NY area. So, I went to the Amazon website and found several DVDs, but am so lost and do not know which one to try.

Could any of you give me a heads up and let me know which ones are good to try? I did some yoga, pilates previously and am familiar with mat workouts. Thanks in advance!
The best one is "Callanetics (Official DVD)". You will see us refer to that one as 10/10. It's the original and best one.
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Julius
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetbenjamin View Post
The best one is "Callanetics (Official DVD)". You will see us refer to that one as 10/10. It's the original and best one.
Thanks Benjamin. So that's Callanetics: 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours right? Now, I am going to order it and will join!
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: planetbenjamin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sese View Post
Thanks Benjamin. So that's Callanetics: 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours right? Now, I am going to order it and will join!
Yes, but when you order it make sure you select "Callanetics (official DVD)" otherwise you'll get an unofficial copy!
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marthaquest
Hi Everyone,

I finished my 3rd hour so I'm 3/24. Jigglebuster I'm like you, I try to do this early in the day when I can, though it's not always possible. I also gardened a bunch this weekend, pruning & pulling weeds -- ugh :-) -- I hope to finish today. It's not hard work but lots of reaching, pulling, hauling, twisting, lifting & it makes me happy to see it all tidied up after the winter storms.

Have a good Monday all, thanks for being here.
marthaquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marthaquest
Chrissy, thanks for the tip about the SA YouTube version. Also I found there are real live Callanetics classes in the area I'll be vacationing in later this summer! Can't wait.
marthaquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi all....got 3/10 done over the weekend and my Super Callanetics DVD arrived today.

sese....I got the Beginning and the 10 years younger in 10 hours on amazon a couple weeks ago. And then I read the comments about the Super Callanetics (specifically Kyra Sedgewicks comment about 10 years ago!) and decided to jump into the Super after only doing the 10/10 a few times. If you have a background in yoga and pilates you're ahead of the game...if you had ballet, that's an added bonus. I'm going to try the Super Callanetics tonight and I will post my review and a pretty darn newbie to Callanetics! Welcome to all that have joined in....lots of us are new, and we also seem to have some really super duper pros too!!!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rana
Stats: Originally 168/162/135 (5'3)
WOE: Trying to eat healty
Start Date: January 2013
Checking in for my 3/15....
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hi all....got 3/10 done over the weekend and my Super Callanetics DVD arrived today.

sese....I got the Beginning and the 10 years younger in 10 hours on amazon a couple weeks ago. And then I read the comments about the Super Callanetics (specifically Kyra Sedgewicks comment about 10 years ago!) and decided to jump into the Super after only doing the 10/10 a few times. If you have a background in yoga and pilates you're ahead of the game...if you had ballet, that's an added bonus. I'm going to try the Super Callanetics tonight and I will post my review and a pretty darn newbie to Callanetics! Welcome to all that have joined in....lots of us are new, and we also seem to have some really super duper pros too!!!!!

Let us know how it goes Shelley... I have done callanetics on off (the longest i have done it was 8 months twice a week regularly).. I have been back to it since January about twice a week and just this month i am goigng to try to do it 3 to 4 times a week.. I have pulled out my super callanetics dvd the other day and i am still far from being able to do it... but i have no backround in anything other than on and off callanetics...
Old 05-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopefulsweigh
Stats: 155/151.4/139
Start Date: JUDDD restart - Sept 2014
Today was Day 2 of Callanetics.
I made it to the Behind and Hips - the second exercise was so hard, I couldn't handle it. Not sure what piece of furniture to use. Tried the kitchen counter with no joy as well as the back of a chair. Oh well I tried and will try again. I made it 10 minutes further today than I did Day 1.
Hopefulsweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Before, when I was doing so well, I began Super Callanetics once things started feeling on the easy side, and I could straighten my legs in all exercises, even beginning to extend my other leg during the stomach exercises.

It's up to you when you make that shift, but remember, Callanetics is a form using gentle movements, which promotes you to be gentle with yourself. It's not the same as the "No pain, no gain" mentality, so don't feel you need to rush into it. I've incorporated the fluttering stomach exercises into my 10/10 routine already though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulsweigh View Post
Today was Day 2 of Callanetics.
I made it to the Behind and Hips - the second exercise was so hard, I couldn't handle it. Not sure what piece of furniture to use. Tried the kitchen counter with no joy as well as the back of a chair. Oh well I tried and will try again. I made it 10 minutes further today than I did Day 1.
Hi Hopefulsweigh!

Congratulation on your accomplishments!

Remember, you need to do only what you can, that means when you feel yourself struggling, holding your breath and clenching your teeth to do it, it's time to take a break, or stop and go to the next exercise. There was a woman here who started with only 10 pulses per exercise for some of them. And in time progressed to the 100.

The second behind and hip exercise is different in Evolution, and you might want to try that.... Instead of using a bar, lean over and lean on you elbow on the floor, forearm at a 45˚ angle, pointing forward. Make sure to keep your torso straight, just as you do on the bar. Hope that helps!
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.5"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.25"/14.0
Starting all over with 185 hours (1/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 05-06-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
It's up to you when you make that shift, but remember, Callanetics is a form using gentle movements, which promotes you to be gentle with yourself. It's not the same as the "No pain, no gain" mentality, so don't feel you need to rush into it. I've incorporated the fluttering stomach exercises into my 10/10 routine already though.

Remember, you need to do only what you can, that means when you feel yourself struggling, holding your breath and clenching your teeth to do it, it's time to take a break, or stop and go to the next exercise. There was a woman here who started with only 10 pulses per exercise for some of them. And in time progressed to the 100.

The second behind and hip exercise is different in Evolution, and you might want to try that.... Instead of using a bar, lean over and lean on you elbow on the floor, forearm at a 45˚ angle, pointing forward. Make sure to keep your torso straight, just as you do on the bar. Hope that helps!
What great tips!!!! I figured out that if I converted those behind/hip exercises into more of a ballet/pilates move as apparently it's done in the evolution tape (haven't gotten that one) that it works MUCH better for me! I find I'll do them throughout the day when at a counter and nobody is looking!

Love the comment about not doing the "no pain, no gain"....excellent advice!!!!

I was doing abs on a machine at the gym with my weight lifting buddy and told her that we should change up the abs move into more of a callanetics move....wish I could describe what we did as it was awesome!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Good morning, all! Everyone is doing a fantastic job this month. Keep it up!!

I made it to hour 4/24 for the month. Hoping to stay on track to make it to my goal!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Hi Eeverybody,

Unfortunatelly i woke up rotten today and wont be able to do my 4th session.

I digged some old photos and thought i would share with you to motivate myself and you. This picture was around the net and you may have seen it and is actullay my picture. I only wish i stuck to the exercise (this was two years ago).. Now i would have been in a much better shape!

I didnt take before picture this past january when i restarted but i am pretty sure i looked in between those pictures my hope is to look much better than this after picture in a couple of months because i am going to try to do it 15 times this month and next month. When this picture was taken i was mostly doing it twice a week...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bef after callan.jpg (50.2 KB, 102 views)

Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Wow, Rana, those pictures are definitely an inspiration! You did awesome, and I know you will get back there. I should have taken pictures of myself, but I know from past experience that it is demotivating to me. Not sure why. I love looking at everyone else's progress pictures, but when it comes to my own, I lose my drive.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Wow Rana! So excited to watch you on this journey. Those first results are amazing! You are right, seeing your pics is a motivator to us all. Thanks for sharing.

When I was out for my hour walk today. I found myself repeating, lift and curl the torso, so I was..

Thanks for the tip jiggle, I will try that tonight.

Happy Pulsing.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Wow Rana!!!! You are definitely right about inspiration for yourself and for us!!!!! After seeing your results you've given me super inspiration to keep on doing it and at a minimum of 3 times a week instead of 2. I"m super excited now!

I did the Super Callanetics for the first time this morning. Wow...what a difference from the 10/10 to the Super! No way I could do a few of the exercises, but I did get through the entire tape....rested, started again, rested, etc. A few I was able to do 100 pulses since they were from the 10/10 tape, but on the back of the Super Callanetics DVD it states: "in this new workout, just one advanced stomach or behind motion is equivalent to 20 motions from the original". So, my hope is that the Super will get me results faster and push me harder. Don't worry "jigglebuster"....I am resting and stopping when it becomes stressful to the body. At my age, I have learned to listen and not be DUMB about things like this. I don't want to be injured.

So, this was #4/10. I am soooOOooo excited about this! I'm also excited that so many of us are at #4 together!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Shelley, I may try the Super tonight. I've been wanting to try it out. I'll report back tomorrow, if I'm not too sore to type.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everybody, your encourgment is *very* motivating. I cant wait to get better and do my 4th session..
Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Well I did the stretches and all stomach exercises tonight! Whew! Might be a while before I can do the whole CD at once. Whew! Intense!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: meeko
Stats: 148/145/135
Hey there, I'm new I joined solely for the Callanetics threads since you guys are so active and there's a lot of useful information.

Little bit of background on me: I'm 5ft 7.5 (that half inch really counts to me, hehe) and I used to weigh around 158 pounds a couple of years ago, but steadily managed to lose around 15 pounds without actively trying. I'm very pear shaped: mostly great upper body but very large flabby butt and legs in proportion to the rest of my body :/ So I decided I wanted to lose excess fat and tone up, only to discover I've recently gained 5 pounds! Not good.

SO after seeing all the great results from Callanetics, I'm giving it a try. I'm using 10/10 and have done around 6 hours, but I don't really count the first few because I was still working on form (still am) and they were rather spaced out. I'm also walking a lot and lowering my calorie intake, aiming for a loss of 1.5 pounds per week.

Although I feel like my form is good, I have a few questions:

In the waist stretch, I don't really feel a stretch except just under my outstretched arm (which goes uncomfortably numb very often)... my actual waist just feels slightly strained even with my hand on my hip. Any thoughts?

During the stomach exercises, after rounding up do I drop my shoulders or keep them in their position? which is slightly raised. I've also found my stomach jerks involuntarily from the beginning although it didn't do that in my first couple of hours. I'm doing hours one day after another to remain consistent and not get lazy (and for max results), but Callan says I'm doing too much if my body jerks.

Other than that, during the pelvic scoop I almost always feel it in my calves. I stretch my upper body forward which does lessen it a little, but not completely. I also have to really tilt my pelvis upwards which seems to curve my back a little which I don't think is too good.

Sorry for all the questions, but form is crucial to Callanetics it seems

You're all doing a wonderful job here, helping newbies such as myself and providing such great information.
meeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Meeko! Very nice to have you here.

I can't answer all of your questions as I am still fairly new to Callanetics, but I can say that I feel the same during the waist stretch. I think we're supposed to be feeling a stretch along our sides and arms. My arms also go numb most of the time, which makes doing the exercise difficult. It's getting better with time, so just keep going and perfecting your form.

As for the stomach exercises, keep your shoulders and head raised off the floor and chin tucked into the chest. My stomach muscles also jerk, but I think that's because they're working so hard.

Good luck to you! I love Callanetics and wish I had found this program much sooner. It's made a world of difference for me in only a month.

I am logging in 5/24 today. I was too chicken to try Super Callanetics last night, but will probably do so this weekend. Tomorrow night is my rest day, so will start the Super on Friday. I am excited, but a little nervous. If it doesn't work out, I'll just go back to 10/10 until I get a bit stronger.

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone! Enjoy!!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Meeko!

I am new to Callanetics as well, so thanks for posting the questions.

I googled Callanetics for my area last night to see if there were any classes etc. 90% of link came from Scotland, I guess it's a big thing .

Anyways, welcome to the forum .
Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Thanks guys! I'm feeling slightly tighter already. I used to occasionally do HIIT and running but honestly, the thought of doing it would fill me with dread and I wanted to give up the whole time. I might throw some into the mix occasionally though.

I genuinely look forward to Callanetics. Even though it's difficult, it's also very relaxing

I'm off now for a long dog walk and another hour of 10/10 when I return
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

5th one this morning! I don't think I'll have any problems reaching my 10 this month.

I felt/heard another pop-crunch-snap only this time it was between my hamstring and my leg socket. I'm pretty sure I'm getting more flexible.

Rana! I have a vague memory of these. that's awesome. you know if you've done it before, you can definitely do it again!!!

Meeko !

I'll see if I can answer your questions (if someone knows better, please feel free to correct me):

On the stretch, try lifting your chest upmore when you stretch up and pull that pelvis forward so your back feel straight. Also make sure you're not twisting a bit forward with the stretching side. It might feel like you're bringing your arm back in order to do this. And don't worry about the circulation thing, as you progress your circulation will improve and it will happen less and less.

On the stomach exercises, I don't feel like I'm holding my shoulders up so much, it's like they find their place where they can relax and I can hold my arms out. Try doing smaller pulses; I'm hoping that will help with your shaking. I think you might be trying too hard.

The main thing on the pelvic scoop that should be pulling you up is the clenching of your inner thighs together, you shouldn't need to scoop your pelvis forward quite that much, not like plié-squat exercise. You might be using your back and abs to pull you up. As far as the calves are concerned, what do you mean by "feel it in the calves"? Do you touch your calves when you go down, or are your calves getting tired? I tend to go down until my thighs skim my calves, then scoop.

Quote:
[...] on the back of the Super Callanetics DVD it states: "in this new workout, just one advanced stomach or behind motion is equivalent to 20 motions from the original". [...]
No wonder I can only do 15 arm flappy arm stomach exercises! I forgot about that!

Quote:
Don't worry "jigglebuster"....I am resting and stopping when it becomes stressful to the body. At my age, I have learned to listen and not be DUMB about things like this. I don't want to be injured.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Meeko !

I'll see if I can answer your questions (if someone knows better, please feel free to correct me):

On the stretch, try lifting your chest upmore when you stretch up and pull that pelvis forward so your back feel straight. Also make sure you're not twisting a bit forward with the stretching side. It might feel like you're bringing your arm back in order to do this. And don't worry about the circulation thing, as you progress your circulation will improve and it will happen less and less.

On the stomach exercises, I don't feel like I'm holding my shoulders up so much, it's like they find their place where they can relax and I can hold my arms out. Try doing smaller pulses; I'm hoping that will help with your shaking. I think you might be trying too hard.

The main thing on the pelvic scoop that should be pulling you up is the clenching of your inner thighs together, you shouldn't need to scoop your pelvis forward quite that much, not like plié-squat exercise. You might be using your back and abs to pull you up. As far as the calves are concerned, what do you mean by "feel it in the calves"? Do you touch your calves when you go down, or are your calves getting tired? I tend to go down until my thighs skim my calves, then scoop.
Thanks for your help

By feel it in the calves, I mean that I can feel my calves straining and helping me in scooping back up. I'll try to use my inner thighs more though, it's probably a strength issue because my legs are quite weak.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeko View Post
Hey there, I'm new I joined solely for the Callanetics threads since you guys are so active and there's a lot of useful information.

**Welcome Meeko!!!!**

I'm 5ft 7.5 (that half inch really counts to me, hehe)

**love this...I'm 5' 5-3/4" and that 3/4" means a lot to me like your half inch!**

I have a few questions:

In the waist stretch, I don't really feel a stretch except just under my outstretched arm (which goes uncomfortably numb very often)... my actual waist just feels slightly strained even with my hand on my hip. Any thoughts?

**OK...I'll try to answer per my understanding. So that you know, my background is 35 years of teaching classical ballet and jazz dance, and I took the 2 year Pilates certification course back when it was required. So, I have a pretty good understanding of the body..but knowing that, I can only "guess" the answers as I've been retired for 15 years and realized yesterday with the first "Super" DVD that I have no strength in the areas that used to be easy for me!

re: the side stretch.....#1 is to make sure your body is in alignment. Think of your body being the inside of a sandwich....you are the "meat" (or peanut butter & jelly) in the center and the bread on top and bottom is keeping you "flat". Many people will bend forward a tiny bit, or have their arm a bit forward. I find I do that myself and often correct about every 5 pulses to keep my shoulder back and arm super straight. #2 is to stretch up the side of the body that is being "squished" in the side bend...to try to pull the ribs up and out even though they are bending in a side crunch. #3 reach that straight arm really high before bending....see if that helps**

During the stomach exercises, after rounding up do I drop my shoulders or keep them in their position? which is slightly raised. I've also found my stomach jerks involuntarily from the beginning although it didn't do that in my first couple of hours. I'm doing hours one day after another to remain consistent and not get lazy (and for max results), but Callan says I'm doing too much if my body jerks.

**my take on the jerking is that it's new to you and you are trying hard. When that happens to me (since I'm just starting on this program after 15 years of stopping my teaching) I just "hold" the up position. Another thing that is from pilates is that when you bend up forward...make sure that you are thinking visually of reaching your ribcage to your hip bones....not lifting up your shoulders and head, but *bending* really hard like someone has attached a heavy rubber band to the underside of the bustline to the hips. Hope that visual will help. It's a "held/pulsed" crunch without ever going back down. Your shoulders and head/neck are to be relaxed. I have a bad neck injury, so I have to assist by holding my head part way through, but that has no effect on the abdomen.**

Other than that, during the pelvic scoop I almost always feel it in my calves. I stretch my upper body forward which does lessen it a little, but not completely. I also have to really tilt my pelvis upwards which seems to curve my back a little which I don't think is too good.

**In the "Super" DVD she shows the back very very rounded in doing the pelvic tilt. And the "pain" in the calf muscles is because those muscles are now being asked to be used bigtime....that too will get better with time as they get stronger**

Sorry for all the questions, but form is crucial to Callanetics it seems

**I love the comfort level of this group....and there are no bad questions and NEVER (sorry for screaming) too many questions. All questions are good for all of us.
Having written all of the above I do hope that the Callanetics instructors who come here every now and then come to help us and please correct me if my background in ballet/pilates is incorrect. I don't want anyone to be injured due to "my take" on this and what I've read/seen on her DVD's.

Please correct me if I am out of line! I want to be an active part of this discussion and challenge, and want to do things right!

Last edited by shelley; 05-08-2013 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: spelling