Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Exercise Board (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/)
-   -   Callanetics: Which should I do first? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/802353-callanetics-should-i-do-first.html)

Deosil 04-17-2013 06:26 PM

Callanetics: Which should I do first?

A week ago or so I read through the entire before and after Callenetics thread and was AMAZED and so motivated! I then immediately went out and got all videos I could on Callenetics. I now have Evolution and the 10 years/10 hours one (among some others: Cardio, Super, AM/PM & Stomach) and have watched them through just to know what I am in for and to get an idea of what I am about to embark on.

I am not sure which is the best for me to start with so am asking you who have more knowledge. Which tape should I use first? The 10 years/10 hours one and Evolution are rather different so I am having a tough time knowing which is best for my weight and low fitness level. And would AM/PM be a better choice to use as a beginner or later on?

I am going to start tomorrow morning with my first hour. Over the last 2 weeks I have started doing cardio 20 mins a day which has been tough since I have been virtually sedentary for the last 8 years. I am really excited and motivated by everyone who has had such amazing results with Callenetics!

shelley 04-17-2013 07:37 PM

I'm not going to be much help to you as I have only seen the Beginning Callanetics and the 10 years/10 hours one. I know that you do NOT start with Super as that is the advanced version, and I have heard several discuss the Evolution and can't remember what they say.

I asked questions and got no answers so I decided to respond to you and tell you to write on the "April Callanetics" challenge thread...that's where people go, and where they have done Evolution, Super, and 10/10. I am doing 10/10 myself. The "Beginning" was just that. More of an instructional so I watched it/did it and moved on to 10/10.

Come to the April thread!

Jigglebuster 04-17-2013 08:24 PM

Welcome to the world of Callanetics Deosil!!! :hiya:

I have done 10/10, Evolution, Super and Cardio, but not AM/PM, so I can't comment on that, other than I think it mainly has what's in 10/10 and a tiny bit of Super divided into 2. Between the 10/10 and Evolution, you're right they are different, and yet not.

If you look, you can see much of Evolution exercises are very similar to the ones in 10/10, only taken from a different angle (ex. leaning on the floor or standing, as oppose to reaching up to a bar for the hip and thigh exercises). Evolution is an extrapolation, or an evolved form, of Callanetics, hence the name.

Truthfully, the choice is yours; both have their strengths. These are my opinions:

10/10 makes it easy to tap into the meditative, emotional healing as well as the physical (this is subtle not direct), and shows mistakes people often make, yet the technique explanation is lacking somewhat (once you read these threads you'll understand what I'm talking about), whereas Evolution explains some things 10/10 doesn't quite get to, shows varying levels of ability at once, seems to focus more on the physical, but lacks in showing mistakes, and telling you how many reps of each we need to do. Many people will use one dvd yet use the form shown in the other out of preference for some of the exercises, once they know them well.

The thing is, Callanetics is as hard as you make it. Whatever you choose, make sure you can start off listening to your body, and stop when your body has done enough, even if they haven't finished on the dvd. In time, you'll be able to do the number of reps at the rhythm they do. And don't try too hard. This isn't about trying hard, it's about treating your body with respect, gentleness, and love.

My recommendation? Pick up each dvd one at a time and see which one your heart opens to... Your body will know what's right for you. :)

Deosil 04-17-2013 09:49 PM

Thank You both for your responses! It is really appreciated. I think I will start with the Evolution one then and see how that goes. Maybe I can switch them up and do a different one each workout (Evolution one time then 10/10 and back to Evolution etc) until my body makes a decision?

I will definitely do as you suggest, Jigglebuster and work as hard at it as my body will allow. I really appreciate the insight you have given me into this. :)

I cannot wait to see how this goes for me! :)

Jigglebuster 04-18-2013 04:59 AM

Good to hear!

Why don't you stop by at the April Callanetics Thread, like shelly suggested, and let us know how you're doing? It's the best place to ask questions, too, if you're having any problems, or don't quite understand something.

shelley 04-18-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglebuster (Post 16379970)
Welcome to the world of Callanetics Deosil!!! :hiya:

I have done 10/10, Evolution, Super and Cardio, but not AM/PM, so I can't comment on that, other than I think it mainly has what's in 10/10 and a tiny bit of Super divided into 2. Between the 10/10 and Evolution, you're right they are different, and yet not.

If you look, you can see much of Evolution exercises are very similar to the ones in 10/10, only taken from a different angle (ex. leaning on the floor or standing, as oppose to reaching up to a bar for the hip and thigh exercises). Evolution is an extrapolation, or an evolved form, of Callanetics, hence the name.

Truthfully, the choice is yours; both have their strengths. These are my opinions:

10/10 makes it easy to tap into the meditative, emotional healing as well as the physical (this is subtle not direct), and shows mistakes people often make, yet the technique explanation is lacking somewhat (once you read these threads you'll understand what I'm talking about), whereas Evolution explains some things 10/10 doesn't quite get to, shows varying levels of ability at once, seems to focus more on the physical, but lacks in showing mistakes, and telling you how many reps of each we need to do. Many people will use one dvd yet use the form shown in the other out of preference for some of the exercises, once they know them well.

The thing is, Callanetics is as hard as you make it. Whatever you choose, make sure you can start off listening to your body, and stop when your body has done enough, even if they haven't finished on the dvd. In time, you'll be able to do the number of reps at the rhythm they do. And don't try too hard. This isn't about trying hard, it's about treating your body with respect, gentleness, and love.

My recommendation? Pick up each dvd one at a time and see which one your heart opens to... Your body will know what's right for you. :)

:goodpost: I really like all that you said!!!! :)

Jigglebuster 04-19-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelley (Post 16381023)
:goodpost: I really like all that you said!!!! :)

Thanks. ;)