Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
3 Minutes A Week

Yup, this is the exercise program I've started:

How To Get Fit With 3 Minutes Of Exercise A Week: BBC Doc Tries "HIT"

Gonna see what happens after a month. I'm one week in already, Monday starts my second week! The first 2 days I did this (I exercise Monday/Wednesday/Friday 1 minute each day) I thought I was going to die but the 3rd days was a bit easier and I felt great energy afterward. The funny thing is I feel "sore" the next day, like I did an hour's worth of exercise and I have only done 1 minute!

It's very interesting!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 04-14-2013 at 06:12 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Thefram4
Stats: 182/158/154 (5'8")
WOE: LC Paleo style
Start Date: June 2011 (this time round)
Hi Linda,

I'm trying this also, I started last week intending to do mon/wed/fri but I was nightshift and by Friday was on my knees and missed that day.

It's Monday morning here and finally starting to feel like spring so I plan hitting the the treadmill (he used an exercise bike in his training but I prefer the treadmill)

I am doing 4 x 30sec sprinting with 3 minutes rest between and I agree that you certainly feel like you have done a longer workout.

Dr Mosley is on the TV a lot over here and has done quite a lot of insightful programmes with himself as a guinea pig for fitness/weight loss. Most recently the FAST diet endorsed by him has increased in popularity which is nothing new for many of us on these boards, just a variation of JUDDD!

The exercise program aired over a year ago here but I think because of his recent success with FAST many people are looking at his other stuff all of which tends to be backed up with science.
Thefram4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
WOE: Atkins
Let me know how this works for you guys. I do a form of HIIT but I run for about 2 minutes as fast as I can, walk quickly, sprint, etc, and workout for about 30 minutes every other day. I'd be very interested to see how 3 minutes a week would compare.
peretroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ncgirl37
Stats: 192/171.4/140 5'7
Start Date: 3/19/14
This is interesting...going to look at the link.
ncgirl37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I have to say that I came to this subforum very reluctantly but seeing this headline made my day. It is not that I dislike movement or exertion ,I just get bored with routines. If exercise has a purpose i.e walking as the bus is stuck in traffic that ids great but walking in circles is not. SO this is something even I can do .Thanks for posting.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I tried it today, just running in the park as I do not have a treadmill or exercise bike. It is a kicker. It wore me out, and the dog we will not even speak of. She has not moved since getting back, even when her most non-favourite person came to visit. I am sticking to it.
Anyone who is interested there is a programme from the University of Western Scotland where they did a five week comparison betwen standard training methods and this.The guy doing HIT won,losing 14 lbs in 5 weeks,followed by a woman who was doing higher intensity workouts but for a longer time. Very interesting. I am trying to find the link still. It was an excerpt from a BBC One TV show.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]

Last edited by Aleina; 05-09-2013 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: more info
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bdladie
Stats: 311/187/150 for now
WOE: South Beach kind of
Start Date: 1/16/06
I do a form of this on the treadmill also. I can only do run for 1 minute walk for 2 minutes. I do this after warming up for 40 minutes then a 5 minute cool down. I think I am breathing a little easier now but can't say for sure. I am working on cutting the rest time down. I really do like this and do it 3 times a week and swim laps 3 times a week. I follow weight watchers and have lost 22 pounds since Jan 26th.
bdladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Thefram4
Stats: 182/158/154 (5'8")
WOE: LC Paleo style
Start Date: June 2011 (this time round)
Ok quick update.

I have been doing this for 5 weeks and although I have not lot any weight on the scales I have definitely lost some of my stubborn belly fat.
my midriff is looking a lot more flatter and toned than it ever has which is great, and think there is no movement on the scale due to muscle gain.

I will definately be continuing with this exercise particularly as I am heading stateside for my hols in 4 weeks
Thefram4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
Interesting to see this thread, planning on starting this today however I'm doing JUDDD and wondering am I best doing the work outs on an UD or a DD?
Genie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefram4 View Post
Ok quick update.

I have been doing this for 5 weeks and although I have not lot any weight on the scales I have definitely lost some of my stubborn belly fat.
my midriff is looking a lot more flatter and toned than it ever has which is great, and think there is no movement on the scale due to muscle gain.

I will definately be continuing with this exercise particularly as I am heading stateside for my hols in 4 weeks
Are you doing treadmill? I have started doing the elliptical again, but not sure if this would be wiser on regular sprinting then walking etc. I do Kettlebells and love them, but that is something that is very difficult to do in HIIT fashion. Although, I may try.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
How do you work your 3 minutes? are you doing it 1 minute a day, 3 times a week? and do you break the 1 minute into 30/20 second intervals with a slower pace in between?

Not asking anyone directly, just curious.
Genie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You are only supposed to have to do HIIT at the most 3x per week. Although, the BBC piece is 3 minutes per week, which doesn't quite seem like enough so I will be curious.

According to Cathe Frederick, 30 seconds high and 30 seconds off is the best for beginners and her sessions are about 20 minutes. I have been doing 20 minutes of elliptical with 10 minutes of HIIT in 30 second intervals. If you go to youtube and search Cathetelevision and 30/30 you can see her workout, which is very difficult. I enjoy the step bench, most of her lunges and sidekicks are a killer in HIIT. I think I will stick with elliptical.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genie80 View Post
How do you work your 3 minutes? are you doing it 1 minute a day, 3 times a week? and do you break the 1 minute into 30/20 second intervals with a slower pace in between?

Not asking anyone directly, just curious.
1 minute, 3 times a week. I work out on Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

20 seconds all out then a rest. Repeat until you get 1 minute total in. That's it!!

Here is how they explain it:

First, you warm up for a couple of minutes with some gentle cycling: then you cycle as fast as you possibly can ("hell for leather", as Mosley describes it) for 20 seconds.

Then, you cycle gently again for a couple of minutes while you catch your breath, then do another 20 seconds "flat out".

Then, for a final time, two minutes gentle cycling to catch your breath, followed the third period of 20 seconds at "full throttle".
Old 05-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Any plan that gets you started working out is a great plan IMHO.
So for you folks who don't have the time or motivation.....
Can you spare 3 minutes a week?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
You are only supposed to have to do HIIT at the most 3x per week. Although, the BBC piece is 3 minutes per week, which doesn't quite seem like enough so I will be curious.

According to Cathe Frederick, 30 seconds high and 30 seconds off is the best for beginners and her sessions are about 20 minutes. I have been doing 20 minutes of elliptical with 10 minutes of HIIT in 30 second intervals. If you go to youtube and search Cathetelevision and 30/30 you can see her workout, which is very difficult. I enjoy the step bench, most of her lunges and sidekicks are a killer in HIIT. I think I will stick with elliptical.
Not sure about Cathe Frederick but I can tell you first hand the 3 minutes a week is a workout, fits my schedule and is working like a charm in toning me up! I'll keep my 3 minutes since it works AND it's not so time consuming for my busy schedule! At least I'm exercising AND getting results with such little time invested!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC

Good for you!
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes! Beeb is right! I didn't think 3 minutes a week would be enough, but I have to admit that 3 minutes on the elliptical is much more difficult than anything, it wears me out. I don't own a cycle, but it isn't necessary.

Fitness blender has lots of free workouts that don't require any equipment and numerous HIIT floor exercises. And they give a printed detail at the bottom with the exact areas that are being worked, plus cals burned and time.
One of my favs...

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/work...IT-Routine/f2/

I know it looks easy, but looks are deceiving! It's a Killa and a burner.

Last edited by sunday; 05-25-2013 at 07:18 AM..
Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Sunday,
That video is awesome! I will need to practice the switch kicks & high kick because that is a move I can see ending my up on my butt.
I've been doing HIIT for my running because hubs has been working so much I haven't been able to take the time to do any long runs. 5 minute warm up walk/jog then 4-6x 30 second all out sprints with 30-60 second recovery between, 5 minute cool down which is either walking or some yoga. I quit when I cut my hand because increased heart rate = increased pain in my hand but I'm looking forward to getting these dang stitches out and getting back to it. Oh, and it would be awesome if the rain would quit.
I am hooked on HIIT!!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Yennie, I have to be careful w/ kicks too. I have hurt myself before.
I actually like the 3 minute HIIT on my elliptical, because it is so simple. One question I have, is there such a thing as too much HIIT???
I know that we need to keep our body guessing. So, I am thinking it may be good to do different types? I also like to sprint, walk but find it very hard on the hills. I have lots of hills which I love, but kill myself running on the hill.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #20

I think the idea is to keep it simple. One minute work outs 3 times a week. At least that is what I got from the original info.