Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Exercise Board (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/)
-   -   3 Minutes A Week (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/802143-3-minutes-week.html)

Beeb 04-14-2013 05:10 PM

3 Minutes A Week

Yup, this is the exercise program I've started:

How To Get Fit With 3 Minutes Of Exercise A Week: BBC Doc Tries "HIT"

Gonna see what happens after a month. I'm one week in already, Monday starts my second week! The first 2 days I did this (I exercise Monday/Wednesday/Friday 1 minute each day) I thought I was going to die :p but the 3rd days was a bit easier and I felt great energy afterward. The funny thing is I feel "sore" the next day, like I did an hour's worth of exercise and I have only done 1 minute!

It's very interesting! :)

Thefram4 04-15-2013 12:51 AM

Hi Linda,

I'm trying this also, I started last week intending to do mon/wed/fri but I was nightshift and by Friday was on my knees and missed that day.

It's Monday morning here and finally starting to feel like spring so I plan hitting the the treadmill (he used an exercise bike in his training but I prefer the treadmill)

I am doing 4 x 30sec sprinting with 3 minutes rest between and I agree that you certainly feel like you have done a longer workout.

Dr Mosley is on the TV a lot over here and has done quite a lot of insightful programmes with himself as a guinea pig for fitness/weight loss. Most recently the FAST diet endorsed by him has increased in popularity which is nothing new for many of us on these boards, just a variation of JUDDD!

The exercise program aired over a year ago here but I think because of his recent success with FAST many people are looking at his other stuff all of which tends to be backed up with science.

peretroika 04-15-2013 06:43 PM

Let me know how this works for you guys. I do a form of HIIT but I run for about 2 minutes as fast as I can, walk quickly, sprint, etc, and workout for about 30 minutes every other day. I'd be very interested to see how 3 minutes a week would compare.

ncgirl37 05-07-2013 03:31 AM

This is interesting...going to look at the link.

Aleina 05-08-2013 08:25 AM

I have to say that I came to this subforum very reluctantly ;) but seeing this headline made my day. It is not that I dislike movement or exertion ,I just get bored with routines. If exercise has a purpose i.e walking as the bus is stuck in traffic that ids great but walking in circles is not. SO this is something even I can do .Thanks for posting.

Aleina 05-09-2013 07:39 AM

I tried it today, just running in the park as I do not have a treadmill or exercise bike. It is a kicker. It wore me out, and the dog we will not even speak of. She has not moved since getting back, even when her most non-favourite person came to visit. I am sticking to it.
Anyone who is interested there is a programme from the University of Western Scotland where they did a five week comparison betwen standard training methods and this.The guy doing HIT won,losing 14 lbs in 5 weeks,followed by a woman who was doing higher intensity workouts but for a longer time. Very interesting. I am trying to find the link still. It was an excerpt from a BBC One TV show.

bdladie 05-09-2013 07:55 AM

I do a form of this on the treadmill also. I can only do run for 1 minute walk for 2 minutes. I do this after warming up for 40 minutes then a 5 minute cool down. I think I am breathing a little easier now but can't say for sure. I am working on cutting the rest time down. I really do like this and do it 3 times a week and swim laps 3 times a week. I follow weight watchers and have lost 22 pounds since Jan 26th.

Thefram4 05-10-2013 01:59 PM

Ok quick update.

I have been doing this for 5 weeks and although I have not lot any weight on the scales I have definitely lost some of my stubborn belly fat.
my midriff is looking a lot more flatter and toned than it ever has which is great, and think there is no movement on the scale due to muscle gain.

I will definately be continuing with this exercise particularly as I am heading stateside for my hols in 4 weeks :jumpjoy:

Genie80 05-13-2013 02:59 AM

Interesting to see this thread, planning on starting this today however I'm doing JUDDD and wondering am I best doing the work outs on an UD or a DD?

sunday 05-13-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefram4 (Post 16418949)
Ok quick update.

I have been doing this for 5 weeks and although I have not lot any weight on the scales I have definitely lost some of my stubborn belly fat.
my midriff is looking a lot more flatter and toned than it ever has which is great, and think there is no movement on the scale due to muscle gain.

I will definately be continuing with this exercise particularly as I am heading stateside for my hols in 4 weeks :jumpjoy:

Are you doing treadmill? I have started doing the elliptical again, but not sure if this would be wiser on regular sprinting then walking etc. I do Kettlebells and love them, but that is something that is very difficult to do in HIIT fashion. Although, I may try. :)

Genie80 05-13-2013 04:41 AM

How do you work your 3 minutes? are you doing it 1 minute a day, 3 times a week? and do you break the 1 minute into 30/20 second intervals with a slower pace in between?

Not asking anyone directly, just curious.

sunday 05-13-2013 05:08 AM

You are only supposed to have to do HIIT at the most 3x per week. Although, the BBC piece is 3 minutes per week, which doesn't quite seem like enough so I will be curious.

According to Cathe Frederick, 30 seconds high and 30 seconds off is the best for beginners and her sessions are about 20 minutes. I have been doing 20 minutes of elliptical with 10 minutes of HIIT in 30 second intervals. If you go to youtube and search Cathetelevision and 30/30 you can see her workout, which is very difficult. I enjoy the step bench, most of her lunges and sidekicks are a killer in HIIT. I think I will stick with elliptical.

Beeb 05-14-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genie80 (Post 16421919)
How do you work your 3 minutes? are you doing it 1 minute a day, 3 times a week? and do you break the 1 minute into 30/20 second intervals with a slower pace in between?

Not asking anyone directly, just curious.

1 minute, 3 times a week. I work out on Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

20 seconds all out then a rest. Repeat until you get 1 minute total in. That's it!!

Here is how they explain it:

First, you warm up for a couple of minutes with some gentle cycling: then you cycle as fast as you possibly can ("hell for leather", as Mosley describes it) for 20 seconds.

Then, you cycle gently again for a couple of minutes while you catch your breath, then do another 20 seconds "flat out".

Then, for a final time, two minutes gentle cycling to catch your breath, followed the third period of 20 seconds at "full throttle".

avid 05-20-2013 08:04 AM

Any plan that gets you started working out is a great plan IMHO.
So for you folks who don't have the time or motivation.....
Can you spare 3 minutes a week?

Beeb 05-21-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16421947)
You are only supposed to have to do HIIT at the most 3x per week. Although, the BBC piece is 3 minutes per week, which doesn't quite seem like enough so I will be curious.

According to Cathe Frederick, 30 seconds high and 30 seconds off is the best for beginners and her sessions are about 20 minutes. I have been doing 20 minutes of elliptical with 10 minutes of HIIT in 30 second intervals. If you go to youtube and search Cathetelevision and 30/30 you can see her workout, which is very difficult. I enjoy the step bench, most of her lunges and sidekicks are a killer in HIIT. I think I will stick with elliptical.

Not sure about Cathe Frederick but I can tell you first hand the 3 minutes a week is a :stars: workout, fits my schedule and is working like a charm in toning me up! I'll keep my 3 minutes since it works AND it's not so time consuming for my busy schedule! At least I'm exercising AND getting results with such little time invested! :clap:

avid 05-21-2013 06:29 AM

:goodpost:

Good for you! :high5:

sunday 05-25-2013 06:13 AM

Yes! Beeb is right! :jumpjoy: I didn't think 3 minutes a week would be enough, but I have to admit that 3 minutes on the elliptical is much more difficult than anything, it wears me out. I don't own a cycle, but it isn't necessary. ;)

Fitness blender has lots of free workouts that don't require any equipment and numerous HIIT floor exercises. And they give a printed detail at the bottom with the exact areas that are being worked, plus cals burned and time.
One of my favs...

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/work...IT-Routine/f2/

I know it looks easy, but looks are deceiving! :D It's a Killa and a burner.

Yennie 05-27-2013 07:44 PM

Sunday,
That video is awesome! I will need to practice the switch kicks & high kick because that is a move I can see ending my up on my butt.
I've been doing HIIT for my running because hubs has been working so much I haven't been able to take the time to do any long runs. 5 minute warm up walk/jog then 4-6x 30 second all out sprints with 30-60 second recovery between, 5 minute cool down which is either walking or some yoga. I quit when I cut my hand because increased heart rate = increased pain in my hand :( but I'm looking forward to getting these dang stitches out and getting back to it. Oh, and it would be awesome if the rain would quit. :)
I am hooked on HIIT!!

sunday 05-27-2013 09:08 PM

Hi Yennie, I have to be careful w/ kicks too. I have hurt myself before. :laugh:
I actually like the 3 minute HIIT on my elliptical, because it is so simple. One question I have, is there such a thing as too much HIIT??? :confused:
I know that we need to keep our body guessing. So, I am thinking it may be good to do different types? I also like to sprint, walk but find it very hard on the hills. I have lots of hills which I love, but kill myself running on the hill. :stars:

Beeb 05-28-2013 09:40 AM

I think the idea is to keep it simple. One minute work outs 3 times a week. At least that is what I got from the original info. :dunno: