LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: highvibes
Stats: 225/212/145
WOE: Primal-ish
Start Date: March 2013
Running: Good pain or Bad pain?

I recently started a C25K program, I'm on W4D1 as of tomorrow, but I add a 4th day to my weeks cause I'm terribly out of shape! (unless we're taling round )

Anyhow, when I first started running I was going WAY too fast to advance to the next weeks so I slowed down big time. Now I wasn't stopping cause I was out of breath, I was stopping because my shins hurt. I was wearing the Reebok clearance special, that wasn't even a running shoe (whoops, first hard lesson)

I went to Running Free, got fitted with some supportive Brooks because I 'pronate' and voila, I'm off.

Now I seem to be able to breath through my intervals because I'm slow, and my shins or knees don't hurt anymore... but the muscles in my legs DO. They feel like they're exhausted and DONE by the end of my interval (which is only 3 minutes by the way) Is this 'normal' pain? How long can I expect my legs to fight me on this? Is that what this pain is? It feels muscular, but I don't want to hurt myself either.
highvibes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
WTG on getting the appropriate shoes. As I started reading your post I was thinking shoes, shoes, shoes!!! But you're all set there.
You may want to consider backing down a week or 2 on the C25K. When in the wrong shoes your mechanics are not correct (hence the pain in the shins) which means you're essentially starting over with your new shoes, retraining your muscles and jumping in at week 4. Plus you're not supposed to advance until the previous sessions are relatively easy so stepping back might be your answer.
Good luck!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
I work out 60 minutes per day 3 days per week cardio interval training with a heart monitor and 35 minutes cardio 2 days per week with weights after. All supervised by a trainer at my gym. Each day is a different workout, emailed to me the day prior. After each workout the heart rate data is uploaded to a website, analyzed, and given a compliance score based on how well I kept my heart rate in the right zone. Some workouts have 30 zone changes!

Some days my legs feel "strong like bull!" And other days I struggle. My trainer recommended the sauna for 10-15 minutes after each workout and on really tough days I take an Epsom salt bath before bed. But I'm in my 9th week of this and I notice pulmonary gains more than muscle endurance gains.

Mondays after 2 days rest & recover are actually harder then Fridays.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: highvibes
Stats: 225/212/145
WOE: Primal-ish
Start Date: March 2013
Thanks for your suggestions guys! I think I'm definitely going to repeat week 4 (I got my shoes towards the end of week 2) and maybe go every day vs. every other, just because this weeks interval is difficult while I'm doing it, but relatively short at 1:30/1:30 and 3:00/3:00 x 2 between warm ups. That or I'll repeat my usual routine of every other day but add an interval?
highvibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTIgrad
Stats: Hi:317.5 Current:255.8
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 12/26/2012
My .02.....

As long as its not joint pain or chest pain, push through it. Those two, at least in my own running history have lead/can lead to major issues. Soreness in your legs (i even get sore in my arms while running) is pretty normal.

But then again, I'm a 20 something and am indestructible right?
CTIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
I'm 10weeks into my intensive training program now and my thighs still are sore to the touch all the time. Not so much when working out, but more so afterward. It's really noticeable when I'm lifting and set the barbells on my thighs!!

I am now hitting the jacuzzi for 10minutes after every workout.. And also not pushing it on my recovery days (sat-sun). At my age it appears I really need them!!

My cardio fitness has improved so much I can run without being winded but my legs and joints can't. I need to shed more pounds and get some real shoes before I add more running...

Last edited by CTH; 04-13-2013 at 01:45 PM..
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote