Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GraceLiving
Stats: 220/213/135
WOE: BFC Fast Track/Paleo/Primal
Start Date: April 4,2013
I cant believe the strength I am gaining just in 5 hours....its amazing.I stoked and the changes I see in my abds and cant even do a hundred,,,I find it so motivating to keep going
Decorative its great to have you here with us
GraceLiving is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilybug02
Stats: 209/146/140 5'6"
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 12/8/12 low carb 7/25/13
Today is my rest day. I can't believe I've been this consistent with working out. Trust me its a big deal.
lilybug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inmemoryofmolly
3/10 today. I'm so happy to hear about all your developments. Going to this thread motivates me. Also, welcome to the newbies!
inmemoryofmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
OK...I'm slowly catching up. Did 2/10 this morning and am really having challenges with the exercise where you sit on your heels...lift the buttocks up 3" off the feet and do hip movements and pelvic tilts....I have no strength to lift myself up (and have bad knees). Any thoughts? I saw on the Beginning tape that some sat in a chair with arms and used their arms to lift, but that sort of defeats the purpose. Are you all able to lift your bodies off your heels??? Wow...if so, I'm impressed. I'll keep at it. Just hoping for some ideas/hints other than clutching the "barre" and pulling myself up!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GraceLiving
Stats: 220/213/135
WOE: BFC Fast Track/Paleo/Primal
Start Date: April 4,2013
6/20 whoooohoooooo
Shelly I myself skip them as I have a bad knee...I wretched it bad last novemeber and still have issues..I couldn't sit with my knees bent behind me...sso what I am doing is working up my leg strength and other muscles around my knee hoping in a months time It will be well enough or strong enough I can add them....I find my knee a tiny bit stronger daily
GraceLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/209.9/145 5'4" 34 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: July 2014
I've gotten in 3/12, but should be 4/12. Unfortunately, yesterday was so crazy, I couldn't get it in. Will do so tonight, and then another session tomorrow night to get caught back up. I am still really liking this program. I feel so much stronger already.

Shelley, I have the same concerns with my knees. I tried doing them standing up, but that didn't work out so great. I'll try it again tonight.
Silverrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Welcome Decorative! We're happy to have you with us.

Lilybug, I think every other day is best for Callanetics. Callen herself said that your muscles need a day off between sessions.

Quote:
"The pain I've had in my right hip for well over a year is gone!!!!"
That's wonderful news, Shelley!

sldeal, I love the stretches too and try to do them every day. (Are you really in the Bahamas? LOL, can I come visit? It's still SNOWING where I am!)

Quote:
Did 2/10 this morning and am really having challenges with the exercise where you sit on your heels...lift the buttocks up 3" off the feet and do hip movements and pelvic tilts....I have no strength to lift myself up (and have bad knees). Any thoughts?
They're hard!! I had to start by not doing those exercises but just practicing getting into the correct starting position. It took weeks before I was able to do those.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Decorative
1/10

Did Evolution. Have to say- I think I prefer the original and Super. I am always surprised at how "easy" at the time it feels ( compared to shaking and burning with Pure Barre).

But here's hoping I can walk tomorrow. LOL
Decorative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

11 hour done. Tomorrow is ellipiticall. I have a hard time doing a half hour. I need to work on my endurance.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for all your responses to the one sitting on your knees. Kaco, thanks for the facebook link, but I am not a member of that group, so was unable to locate it.

I have the "Beginning" workout and she shows that you can do it sitting in a chair that has arms....leaning on the arms for support, you still do the pelvic tilts and circles.....but I have a rotten neck, so that was hard too! ha ha. I'm glad others have bad knees (not that I'm happy you have bad knees, but it makes me not feel so wimpy and alone!) and I'll keep at the ones in the chair and hopefully will gain strength. I too am doing PT for knees in the hope that I will build strength around them and in the quads to support me. It's amazing though.

Lilybug....are you doing the elliptical as cardio? You might try PACE or HIIT instead. I can easily do 45 minutes on high incline and resistance and am 65 years old and have a broken body! It works great to work that way on it. :-)
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Thanks everyone for all your responses to the one sitting on your knees. Kaco, thanks for the facebook link, but I am not a member of that group, so was unable to locate it.

I have the "Beginning" workout and she shows that you can do it sitting in a chair that has arms....leaning on the arms for support, you still do the pelvic tilts and circles.....but I have a rotten neck, so that was hard too! ha ha. I'm glad others have bad knees (not that I'm happy you have bad knees, but it makes me not feel so wimpy and alone!) and I'll keep at the ones in the chair and hopefully will gain strength. I too am doing PT for knees in the hope that I will build strength around them and in the quads to support me. It's amazing though.

Lilybug....are you doing the elliptical as cardio? You might try PACE or HIIT instead. I can easily do 45 minutes on high incline and resistance and am 65 years old and have a broken body! It works great to work that way on it. :-)
Yes I am. I'll look into that and give it a try.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

I got my 4/12 done as planned. 5/12 tonight! I've never had a workout that made me feel sad when it was over. I actually feel sad when the workout comes to an end with Callanetics. It's just so relaxing. It's total "me" time, and I love it.

Shelley, I wish you luck in modifying the exercises to make them work for you. I did the rotations standing up again last night, and it worked out better this time. My knees are terrible, so I have a hard time with some of the others, too. I am hoping, like you, that other muscles will gain strength and work to support the knees.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Okay. So putting jeans on today was touch and go for a moment. I can feel every single muscle I worked yesterday. In the good way. Yay!!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigglebuster
Stats: 168..153(2013)/155/Healthy 5'7.5" wrist: 6.25"
WOE: Seasonal - Organic and nothing packaged
Start Date: Callanetics : Aug 18 '09 then again: Mar 15 '13
Shelly, you could also try starting up on your knees as in the scooping exercise (the one right after it) and lower yourself but with your torso more upright to where your knees can handle it. I have a bad knee too and this exercise did nothing but strengthen it. I think when I started I could do it, but I was a lot higher than what she suggests. The stronger my knee got, the lower I could go.

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 04-16-2013 at 08:49 AM..
Jigglebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverrain View Post
I got my 4/12 done as planned. 5/12 tonight! I've never had a workout that made me feel sad when it was over. I actually feel sad when the workout comes to an end with Callanetics. It's just so relaxing. It's total "me" time, and I love it.
Oh my....I'm totally wasted when I'm done! You must be really good or else are really modifying the exercises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorative View Post
Okay. So putting jeans on today was touch and go for a moment. I can feel every single muscle I worked yesterday. In the good way. Yay!!
Yay, that's how I feel too the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglebuster View Post
Shelly, you could also try starting up on your knees as in the scooping exercise (the one right after it) and lower yourself but with your torso more upright to where your knees can handle it. I have a bad knee too and this exercise did nothing but strengthen it. I think when I started I could do it, but I was a lot higher than what she suggests. The stronger my knee got, the lower I could go.
Excellent advice!!!! I like that better than sitting in the chair for sure. I'll try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybug02 View Post
Yes I am. I'll look into that and give it a try.
I think you would like either way of doing the elliptical...it's rather empowering in my humble opinion...pushing as hard as you can for a minute and then going along at a "recovery pace" for 2 minutes...back and forth, or else you start with a low hill/resistance and every minute you increase intensity/resistance and the hill.....do that for about 5 minutes and then drop back to the start...do that a few times. Both ways are really sort of interesting! :-)

I have a really rotten cold, so am not doing 3/10 today...and probably not tomorrow either. I haven't been sick in probably 10 years or more so this is shocking! so, I'm just working on a quilt...sitting, ironing a bit, watching TV. I'd rather be doing Callanetics, but that day will come again.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Oh my....I'm totally wasted when I'm done! You must be really good or else are really modifying the exercises.
My legs are a little shaky by the end of the workout every time (but less so with every workout), but I have to modify the pelvic scoop and rotations because of my knees. Even with the modifications, my knees still bother me a bit. Otherwise, I really try to focus on my form, so I think that's why I find it so relaxing. As others have said, it's a mind-body connection. Never felt that before with exercise.

Got my 5/12 done last night. For some reason, my muscles aren't feeling that sore any longer. Can muscles acclimate this fast to the workout, or am I doing something wrong? As I said, I'm really trying to focus on form, and I am slowly working up my repetitions as I'm getting stronger. The first two workouts my muscles hurt incredibly the next day or two, but now nothing. Should I up my workouts?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

I did my second hour this week, and oh what a way to start my day!!!

My issue is with my tight hips, hamstrings and calves. All this makes me a knee-bender for all the stretches and stomach exercises. The fact that after 140 hours before I could straighten my legs, and touch the floor with the lower back stretch, I have the ultimate amount of patience in what I can do now, in fact, it's not even patience, just simple acceptance and no judgement at all.

I do have a question though. As before when I do the floor stretches after the hip and behind exercises, I need to place a rolled towel or a pillow under my butt to help me shift my pelvic floor back a bit. I noticed though, I'm really bending over just below my waist rather than what I think should be my hips. Is there anything more I can do to help me shift that and still allow me to relax the muscles?
Thighs: L:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
........R:27(2009)...24"(Mar2013)/22.3"/23
Above Knee: 21.5(2009)...16.25"(Mar2013)/15.25"/15.5
(M)Calves L: 17.5(J2010)...15"(Mar2013)/14.25"/ 14.0
.........R: 17(J2010)...14.6"(Mar2013)/14.0"/14.0
Starting all over with 193 hours (6/? this month) of Callanetics, and playing outside!

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 04-17-2013 at 06:44 AM..
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #78
Junior LCF Member

2/10 today. Did HIIT elliptical yesterday.

Far prefer Callanetics.

I was actually disappointed when the hour was over.

#worriedaboutmyself

LOL
Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Alrighty, because my body seemed to want to do it, I went ahead and did another back-to-back session last night. That makes 6/12. I feel great today - no muscle soreness and a great sense of calm. I wish I had found Callanetics sooner. If I am feeling inclined tonight, I'll complete another session.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Another hour done this morning.

I've come to the conclusion I need to bend my knees for now on my floor stretch in order to bend at the hips and stretch it out before I can straighten my legs and do it. So be it.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
As Shelley and Jigglebuster suggested, I thought I would come over to this thread and post.

So, here I am with my first Callanetics workout over! WOW! It is a LOT tougher then it looked watching them first on the videos! I did as Jigglebuster suggested and let my body dictate how far I should go and needless to say, that was not too far! I took a LOT of breathers and could not manage to do as many as they did on the video (I did Evolution first btw. Tomorrow will be 10/10) but I hung in there and did some of everything they did. I really hope it gets easier soon! lol

Thank you for the insight and all the information I have found in all the Callanetics related threads around here. Without all of you posting and discussing your results I would never have found Callanetics. I look forward to a month from now when it will be easier.. I hope. lol
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Excellent news Deosil that you started today! I haven't seen Evolution, but the 10/10 was hard enough for me!

Remember though that Callan said to do her workouts 2-3 times a week....not daily! Your body needs time to recover.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Yay! Good for you Deosil! And don't worry, as you progress, you'll get stringer and more flexible, and things will definitely get easier.

Don't forget to take your measurements and/or take photos, so you can see the difference later on.

Last edited by Jigglebuster; 04-19-2013 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: Added last bit.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

I didn't do the full hour last night as I didn't have time, but I did do the hips/behind and arm exercises. I figure every little bit counts!

Welcome, Deosil!! I think you're really going to love this exercise. And yes, it does get a bit easier every time as you build up your strength. I've only been doing this for less than two weeks, and I feel a LOT stronger. I've also noticed lessened knee pain! Good luck to you, and looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inmemoryofmolly
4/10 today. thanks for the facebook link, Kaco. Just like shelley and silverrain, I struggle lifting my self up with my knees and is hoping to strengthen them as time goes by. My stomach has gotten significantly stronger now since doing the stomach exercises are much pleasurable now compared to my last 12 hours of doing it.
inmemoryofmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
Thanks for all the words of encouragement! I had planned on doing 10/10 today but have changed that plan. OMG I HURT! hahaha I sneeze and my upper abs (wow, I had forgotten that I had any btw) and under my arms are sooo sore! Today I am going to just do some cardio or a walk if the weather gets better since my treadmill died on me last week. :\ I may do some of the stretches and leg routines from Callanetics but no way am I doing a whole routine today. Tomorrow I will get back at it though.
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Another hour done. I had to take my time this time. I wasn't as strong nor as flexible in my hips i.e. not at all, yet I could see other improvements. I got food poisoning the other day and it seems clear how much it has affected me – not eating as much I'm sure has also affected my energy level.

In any case, bones in my tailbone area cracked like crazy this morning, making it feel like it is totally opening up, and a spot in the center of my back and one in my left shoulder were inordinately tight and knotted since the first of the month, and those seem to be about 90% better today. And I do believe I have a 2 pack! as of a couple days ago.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sldeal
Stats: 187/165/150
WOE: Atkins 72/Fast5
Start Date: December 27, 2012
Hi all! I'm popping in to say I'm still going great with callanetics. I completed my 10/10 on Friday and I'm thrilled to say it appears to be working. I lost 1/2" in my upper hip, lower hip & right thigh; 1" in my waist and chest. Two people have actually commented that my butt is getting smaller. I'll take that as a compliment.

I'm also down .6 lbs, which isn't bad because I know I should be expecting to see a gain on the scales at some point.

I'm enjoying the stretches so I've been doing it everyday so far, decided I'm going for 30. So far I'm 11/30.

For the pelvic exercises, because I have a bad knee, I realized it's much easier for me to do them on the bed - very little stress on the knees and hardly no pain. The buttock exercises are the hardest for me right now, I'm struggling most days trying to remember to keep my pelvic turned up.

Happy exercising everybody!

"Remember, your tape measure is a better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat losses..." Dr. Atkins

Mini Goals
Size 12 - April 2013 - Goal met April 1, 2013
Size 10 - Nov 2013
Size 8 - April 2014 (this will take a miracle)
sldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #89
Junior LCF Member

4/10

Yay!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bflogurl
Late to the party, just got the Evolution and AM/PM DVDs so I am 3 hours in so far (4 after today). Would like to get at least 8 hours in for April and 20 for May. I am bummed I cannot locate my 10/10 DVD but have been enjoying the Evolution very much. Hope it will still produce good results??!!
bflogurl is offline   Reply With Quote