Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
How much exercise?

I’ve joined a gym and want to get my money’s worth. I do enjoy exercising but I have heard that too much can actually have a negative effect on weight loss. That although you are still obviously burning calories, too much can actually slow your metabolism down eventually. Is this true does anyone know?

I know you can gain a little water weight initially from sore muscles, but I am thinking more long term?

How much do people on here exercise and do you feel it has impacted your weight loss at all?
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: highvibes
Stats: 225/212/145
WOE: Primal-ish
Start Date: March 2013
I started running (i use that term very loosely lol) 3x/week and I'm losing regularly. I do eat back exercise calories though, at least some of them. I'm starting the Gillian Micheals 30 Day Shred when it arrives. I'll just eat more!

Weight Loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. My guess is the 20% is what gets you ripped and muscular vs just "thinner" but I'm no expert
highvibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCINFLA
I am 64 years old, and I try and exercise at least 1 hour a day... I also joined a gym... this one has alot more, Zumba,and a ton of other classes, a pool, and a lap pool, workout room, bikes and all...a bit to grasp at first...

The last 2 days I have walked, but I am getting back to lap swimming, and I love weight training... I have to watch my diet more to lose weight, but I know moving everyday is a must for me..

Do what you like in the exercise dept... maybe it is running, zumba, fast walking... if you like it you will continue to do it..

Lynn
187 miles walked in 2013
just bought size 12 Jeans...
LCINFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Fantastic, thank you for your replies. I did some swimming last night and I am booked in for an induction to cover all the equipment in the gym on Friday. I am thinking I will maybe go daily and balance out high energetic work outs like weights, zumba and aerobics and alternate with something lower impact like yoga and swimming. At least then I can find out what I like and find a routine that I can carry on in the long term
Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
I exercise 5 days per week. 60 minutes of cardio interval training with a heart rate monitor with data upload 3 days and 35 minutes of cardio with weights 2 days per week. All under the supervision of a trainer.

Each day I get emailed a workout plan with heart rate zone changes and durations for each zone. After I'm done the data from heart monitor is uploaded via Bluetooth on my PC. The data is compared to the plan and I'm given a score for compliance and also data for calories burned, etc.

I also wear a Fitbit pedometer so I know I'm getting my 10,000 steps per day.

Whether or not exercise contributes to or inhibits weight loss appears to be a subject of great debate on these forums. But I will say, ever seen a fat marathon runner? Aside from sports like wrestling, powerlifting, or shot put, ever seen a fat Olympic athlete? Any fat people in the Tour de France?

IMHO people who move more are thinner.... This came to light when my wife (who is thin and trim) noted that we eat about the same amount of food each day yet I weigh more then double her. We both got pedometers one day and we wore them to work. She has a physical job where she is on her feet all day (massage therapist) and I sit behind a desk. An average day showed she moved 5000 more steps than me. At 0.07 calories per step (for a 250lb man) that equates to about 35 lbs per year!
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks CTH, makes sense I guess!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
WOE: Atkins
Have you considered HIIT? It is one of the best ways to burn fat and not get used to the exercise, thus slowing your body down. I usually warm up, sprint for the duration of one song, walk for 2 songs, sprint, etc. I spend 40 minutes at the gym and the first 20 are spent this way. It also helps to have the incline up a bit while sprinting, but I'm only at about a 3 there. It's hard!

Here's a great overview:
How To Do Hiit Treadmill Workouts | LIVESTRONG.COM
peretroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: domesticbliss
Stats: 221/184/a fit 160 @ 5'7''
WOE: Atkins/Calorie Counting
Start Date: January 2012; Recommit Everyday
I think the 'too much exercise' you hear about is excessive amounts of cardio that starts to make your body break down your muscles unless you're lifting weight, like 2-3 hours of non stop cardio a day

I strive for 5 days a week, with weekends to let my muscles recover.
Mon, Thur = 30-45 min upper body weight lifting + 20 or more minutes on the treadmill
Tue, Fri = 30-45 min lower body weight lifting (squats, leg press, step ups, wall sits) + 20 or more minutes of cardio (more when I have more endurance)
W = just cardio

I use a heart rate monitor and try to stay at the high end of my aerobic range
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
The exercise you do to lose weight, should be all done at low intensity in the "fat burning" zone. Ie. you should be able to hold a conversation with another person. And it is recommended no more than an hour a day, although what they recommend for diabetics is 30 min sessions at a time. So you could do one at night and one in the morning. I think an hour is ok, especially if it is keep at a low intensity. Anything you enjoy would probably qualify for this type of exercise. You can also do some weight training which is useful for building and preserving lean body mass while losing weight. But again, no more than 30min at a time for weight training. Weight loss is different than athletic conditioning because you have to keep your body in the catabolic state to lose body fat, that is why the rules are different.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote