Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: barrycudda
AM 'Fasted" Cardio

Does anyone have more success with a certain type of exercise over another?
As a chubby kid, I seemed to be thinner in the summer, but I biked everywhere.
As an adult, running and ellipticals just wore me and my knees out.
I got one of those indoor bike stands and it seems to be helping. I just peddle at a moderate pace for 45 minutes before I eat in the morning. Apparently this form of exercise burns fat better, and doing it on an empty stomach increases the effect.
barrycudda is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
It will burn fat best if you can get your heart rate in the right zone and keep it there for at least 20 minutes (according to the aerobic DVDs I used to do). Maybe there's some different wisdom now, I don't know. But there should be charts online somewhere to help you figure out your target rate.

I have a recumbent bike that I've been riding since last year and I just turn up the resistance until I'm slightly winded, but can still carry on a conversation. That's usually somewhere around your target zone. At the end of the workout, I pedal like a maniac for a few minutes, to help increase my fitness level over time.

When I started riding it, the bike was the only exercise I could do that didn't cause me knee pain. It made my knees feel really tired, but not painful. Now they're strong! I can do aerobics, xc skiing, hike for miles and even run for a while (though I don't do that much because it's really not good for the joints at my age). Yesterday I did 30 sumo squats with 20# of weight. I couldn't have done even ONE squat before I started riding that bike. The front of my legs are hard as rocks. But the bike didn't do much for my inner thighs or back of my legs, and nothing for my butt. Thus, I started the squats and some floor exercises to target those areas.

I was also a chubby kid who rode her bike everywhere. I'm not chubby anymore, but my legs are still pretty big from all the exercise they got in youth. I used to be able to leg press 350# repeatedly on the universal in high school.
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Yes several studies point out that exercising in the fasted state loweres insulin resistance but exercising after you eat does not lower your insulin resistance.
Something else to avoid is extra vitamin C & E . These block you geting any lower
insulin resistance from exercise.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote