Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Toaster
Question: Using Callanetics with shoes?

Has anyone tried doing Callanetics with shoes (sneakers) on? I know that this is NOT the original intent. However, I have recently been diagnosed with an asymmetry and am wearing an orthodic insert in one of my shoes that I am supposed to wear as often as possible. Also, in some of the other barre-type workouts, the instructors wear shoes (e.g., Squeeze, TA), so it seemed like it might be okay.

Here's a second question: in the past two weeks, I've done 4.5 hours total hours of Callanetics so far. If the goal is 10/10 to see results, how quickly do I have to complete the 10 hours? Is it 10 hours in a month? I assume it's not 10 hours in a year!
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
Has anyone tried doing Callanetics with shoes (sneakers) on? I know that this is NOT the original intent. However, I have recently been diagnosed with an asymmetry and am wearing an orthodic insert in one of my shoes that I am supposed to wear as often as possible. Also, in some of the other barre-type workouts, the instructors wear shoes (e.g., Squeeze, TA), so it seemed like it might be okay.

Here's a second question: in the past two weeks, I've done 4.5 hours total hours of Callanetics so far. If the goal is 10/10 to see results, how quickly do I have to complete the 10 hours? Is it 10 hours in a month? I assume it's not 10 hours in a year!
In the book there is someone who has to wear shoes. Callanetics, done consistently, could very well straighten you back up. The main reason for not wearing shoes (or ankle weights) is they will put extra strain on your joints, but if shoes are necessary, then they are.

Second question. Callan recommends three times a week in her book, so 10 hours should take about three weeks.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Rose, I appreciate you answering my questions! I have been trying to wear my new orthodic as much as possible, so I have been wearing my shoes for Callanetics; however, I'm not sure this is necessary, so I may go back to doing it without. I've only been using Callanetics Evolution, and it doesn't seem to bother my back at all, which is good.

I also appreciate your response to the 10 hours question. It seems like most people on this board are striving for 10 hours in a month. I wound up with about 7 hours in three weeks, but I am going to step things up--I did 2.5 hours last week and plan on more this week, so I might be able to hit 10 in 3. Even from what I've done so far, I think I am seeing results!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
You see results VERY quickly!
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lvbarre
Since I wear orthotics for plantar fasciitis, I wouldn't dream of doing workouts without them. The pain is no fun. It's up to you but since orthotics are usually prescribed for a medical problem you probably shouldn't push your luck. That's just my 2 cents.
lvbarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

lv, thanks for your perspective. I just recently got my orthotic (on shoe only--it's to correct an imbalance), so this is new to me. It seems to make the most difference when I'm walking/standing for long periods, so I think maybe I'm going to need it most for my cardio workouts.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lvbarre
Toaster, cute name btw. Some days the thigh and standing seat work seems to go on for very long periods. Maybe just wear shoes for the standing portions and do the rest barefoot. My friend wears orthotics too and only wears them if she's in pain that day. Without orthotics she keeps her feet flat and doesn't go on her toes. We have to do what's right for each of us. Probably Callan said that in the book.
lvbarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Okay, I just watched "Secrets of Callanetics" and Callan says MANY times that you should NOT wear shoes while doing the exercises, especially the hips/legs exercises, because the weight of your shoes is too much for the muscles being worked. The only weight you should be lifting is that of your leg.

So, I'd take off the shoes at least for those exercises. I'm not not sure how well it would work to have shoes on for the exercises where you're standing on your toes.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Michelle, thanks for the reply. At some point (maybe in OC?), I did hear Callan say that you don't want the weight of shoes, although my thought was, if your form is good, how would the extra weight hurt you? But I could see the shoes being unnecessary for the floor exercises. I've sometimes been wearing shoes for the standing work, sometimes not.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

If you can lift your leg with a shoe on for the behind/hips exercises, then you must be very very strong! There are days when I can barely get my leg off the floor with just a sock on.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

I don't set up for those exercises using the barre--I set up how Sandra shows in Callanetics Evolution, leaning on a forearm. I find this setup easier to execute with good form as well as more similar to how the "pretzel" move (which is basically what Callan is doing) is performed in other barre-type workouts I've tried.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, that's right, I forgot that you're one of the people using Evolution.