Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Best (or at least GOOD) Shoes for a C25K??

I JUST started a Couch to 5K program at my Y with a group called Mothers Making Strides. I am a TRUE couch starter. And I didn't actually think we would start the first meeting (this past sat) and wore regular 'trainer' type shoes and OMG my ball of my feet hurt! I didn't even do any jogging, just brisk walking.
The pain didnt start the first day, and not much on Sunday but worse every day. I am wearing a better (?) pair of shoes, because it hurts less with shoes on, But I need to go get some good shoes tonight. Any suggestions? From what I read the trainers are the worst for walking/running, But walking shoes are probably not good either as the goal is to walk/jog then progress to a run, right?
What kinds of shoes would you all reccomend. I would like very much to stay UNDER $100! I have a normal arch and wide foot.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Molly,
It so depends on you, how you walk, your stride, etc. There really is no one-size-fits-all answer. For the best results, I'd recommend you find a true running store in your area. I mean a specialty store, not the shoe section of Dicks or Big 5 (or whatever big box stores you have in your area). They will watch you walk, watch you run, ask you questions and select several styles for you to try on. I'd even recommend going back 2-3 times and getting help from different people (or go to different stores) before you make your purchase.
Proper running shoes are expensive - expect to spend $90-150 dollars. If you find a brand & style you like, you can google it and see if you can get last year's style online cheaper.
You'll likely end up in a shoe that is 1/2-1 size larger than your street shoe - this is normal. Also, ignore the color. Having pretty shoes won't help you when your toenails, feet, shins, knees & hips are weeping from being in the wrong shoe!!
If you look at articles online from places like runners world, they have several articles about shoes. But unless you know the biomechanics of your gait, its really hard to "classify" yourself and select the appropriate shoe.
HTH.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Thank you Yennie!
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
Yennie is so right. Get "sized" up once at a running store, then for subsequent pairs, bargain shop online!
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote