Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Exercise Board (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/)
-   -   Cyclists! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/797300-cyclists.html)

creseis 02-16-2013 09:05 PM

Cyclists!

What are you doing?

I have been doing 2 high intensity workouts on my trainer per week, I'm up to 2.25 hours. It is a very simple workout, starts off with spin ups based on cadence per time (50-120 rpm for 1 min each 5rpm interval; 70-150rpm with 5rpm per 15 sec), one leg drills (low gear, high cadence and high gear, low cadence)--LOTS of one leg drills, and then standing at a high gear/low cadence until I puke, with surges adding to the cadence in case I haven't puked yet.

I haven't actually puked yet, but I get very close. I still have a hard time standing 30 min straight, but I can definitely stand for a solid 10 min before I have to sit for a min.

Tomorrow I get to go for a little bike ride OUTSIDE! In the woods! Because all of the snow is gone!!! I plan to do my mtb drills and a nice light ride on my singlespeed.

Yesterday I went on a really strenuous, steep hike for 5 hours, it was great except the way down was very slippery and I didn't have snowshoes on.. it was a mix of slick soil and slush and icy rock!

I have also been xc skiing with my new backcountry skis, haven't done much downhill yet, but I have a ton of lift tickets burning a hole in my pocket.

So, what is everyone else doing for training? Any races planned? I'm super excited because I am going to be racing Singlespeedapalooza in April. My first race is April 21 and I feel very fit already!

creseis 02-21-2013 08:09 PM

*crickets*

I hope everyone is too busy on their trainers to post up!

I just found out that I have been volunteered to join my new teammates on a biking adventure. We are going to ride 90 miles through the Adirondacks to Lake Placid, stay overnight, then ride back the next day. In March. All I can say is... *brrr*. This is going to be an experience.

ab1ht 02-26-2013 11:24 AM

Hey there,

I only check into this board about once a month.

Still too cold (for me) in New England to bike. More like the roads are still too sucky. Been on the Cybex Arc trainer nearly day at lunch. I should be in good shape for when the weather gets better.

creseis 02-27-2013 07:15 PM

It is not too cold to bike. I went biking for an hour on one of the coldest days (high of 8F during my ride) so far! I was thinking about biking outdoors today, but the nasty weather and an oncoming cold/sinus thing kept me indoors. Instead, I did a 45 minute slow easy warm up and a 1 hour Sufferfest video. Yesterday was pretty cool, I've been doing these high intensity workouts and they include 30 min standing/climbing sections with surges and I was able to do the most amount of standing and the greatest number of surges. I guess I improve every workout, but sometimes I have a bad workout and I can't stand for as long. Tomorrow night is spin class 1 hour easy and Friday is another HIT workout, my long one. Saturday is a rest day and Sunday I hope to go mountain biking.

Ragnar 02-28-2013 07:30 AM

Just letting you know that your not alone. There are other cyclists out there.

Right now I am just working on my aerobase. I am doing 1.5 hr rides 4Xweek keeping my hr well below LT. I do 80 min Spinnervals Aerobase Builder once per week.

Next week I am going to start a once-per-week intensity ride with Spinnervals.

I have a 300K ride coming up in May, so I better get hot!

Too much snow and ice to ride outside!

Ragnar

creseis 02-28-2013 02:14 PM

holy crap that is a lot of k!

Ragnar 02-28-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creseis (Post 16286729)
holy crap that is a lot of k!

Yeah... I am not fast, but I can go for a good while.

I did a 200K last year and it took me about 9.5 hrs including rest stops. In order to get credit for finishing, I had to finish under 13 hours. The 300k has to be completed in less than 20 hours. I am not sure my butt can handle more than 15 hours, though.

Each pound I lose makes a HUGE difference. There is no way I could keep up with someone speedy like you!

creseis 02-28-2013 07:46 PM

I'm not that fast :P I can't imagine sitting on my bike for more than say 7 hours. I think my back would break or I'd end up at the next bar drinking a cold beer!

creseis 03-15-2013 02:42 PM

I am doing my big ride this weekend. I have not been consistently below 50 g carbs over the last 2 weeks, I have had accidents like 1 or 2 meals per week. I don't want to bonk . I have a full shipment from my new sponsor, gu, that I haven't touched, it contains lots of gels, electrolytes, and recovery shake mixes. I plan to snack on Atkins bars, cheese sticks, and nuts, but to bring some gu just in case. I plan to eat eggs with cheese and peppers and turkey sausage for breakfast. What do u think?