LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Am I too old and fat to do c25k?

I've been planning to start exercising once I lose a little weight, like I was thinking when I get down to 170 or so (would still be a BMI of 33 since I have NO height). Exercise hasn't ever seemed to help me lose, but I would love to do it for health reasons. I think I have finally reached a maturity level where I would rather be healthy and feel good and have lots of energy than to look good. Imagine that! And then there's always the hope that even if it doesn't help me lose, exercise will make me LOOK better.

So, it turns out that if I'm gonna start exercising AFTER I lose some weight, it's just never gonna happen bc my body is horribly reluctant to lose. So I'm starting to think about a plan B, which is to start exercising. I'm not quite ready to start bc I do want to see if I can lose just a couple of pounds (been at the same weight for like two weeks now and hoping for a little woosh first ). I'm thinking of starting by just walking and working up to 30 minutes at a quick for me pace (probably slow for anyone else) and then in a few weeks, starting the c25k. BUT I'm worried that I'm going to kill myself trying. I'm worried about my knees in particular and general injuries.

Is 43 years old (no exercise whatsoever for the last couple of years and only walking for a few years before that). I'm 188 pounds as of today, BMI of 37. Is it possible to start running at this weight and age??? I want to hear some success stories! Anyone out there done this and become fitter and feel better and healthier?

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Oh heck no!

I did C25K at 43 and 230. I'm 5'7"

I absolutely love running. As long as I was running I never gained weight, and even through marathon stalls in weight loss (common for me) I was able to keep focused on my running progress.

I have had Achilles problems for nearly 2 stinking years and have gained nearly 50 lbs back.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Oh good! I am kinda getting excited about the prospect of this. There are a couple of complications, though (I have no money and no shoes, I have two children and a very busy husband so it will be hard to demand 30 min to myself, and I'm supposed to be studying for the bar exam, so it feels wrong to take the time/energy away from that) so I'm not sure how easy this will be for me to make happen. Still, I kinda want to start tomorrow. I'm not going to for the above reasons and a couple of others, but I am gearing up and doing some reading and getting excited.

I think I'm moving toward more of a HAES outlook than focusing on weight loss. Of course, I'd love to lose, but I think it's time to reframe my goals to keep myself from crashing and burning in frustration. Sticking to plan and living a healthier lifestyle are goals that I can actually accomplish.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I've been planning to start exercising once I lose a little weight, like I was thinking when I get down to 170 or so (would still be a BMI of 33 since I have NO height). Exercise hasn't ever seemed to help me lose, but I would love to do it for health reasons. I think I have finally reached a maturity level where I would rather be healthy and feel good and have lots of energy than to look good. Imagine that! And then there's always the hope that even if it doesn't help me lose, exercise will make me LOOK better.

So, it turns out that if I'm gonna start exercising AFTER I lose some weight, it's just never gonna happen bc my body is horribly reluctant to lose. So I'm starting to think about a plan B, which is to start exercising. I'm not quite ready to start bc I do want to see if I can lose just a couple of pounds (been at the same weight for like two weeks now and hoping for a little woosh first ). I'm thinking of starting by just walking and working up to 30 minutes at a quick for me pace (probably slow for anyone else) and then in a few weeks, starting the c25k. BUT I'm worried that I'm going to kill myself trying. I'm worried about my knees in particular and general injuries.

Is 43 years old (no exercise whatsoever for the last couple of years and only walking for a few years before that). I'm 188 pounds as of today, BMI of 37. Is it possible to start running at this weight and age??? I want to hear some success stories! Anyone out there done this and become fitter and feel better and healthier?
Just do it safely, rubidoux. Since I didn't see a Sticky for the program, I googled it. Might check this site out plus you can see success stories in the c25k thread.

Couch to 5k - C25K Running Program
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
Rubidoux, there's a thread going for the C25K and people post great things! I'm working on the C28K myself.
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
Yes come join us at the c25k thread! I will admitt to being MIA this week but I am going to restart week two and carry on. The program starts slow and if you find a week hard then do the week again until you are comfortable to move on.
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks you guys! I read the other thread, but I'm not ready to jump in. I want to give my body a few days to possibly let go of a pound or two. I've been dieting pretty vigorously but my weight has remained practically the same for about two weeks now. So, I'm hoping there will be a woosh, which I want to see just to prove to myself that this woe will work for me. And I don't want to throw another variable into things until after the woosh. Also, I'm thinking I might walk for a few weeks first. Not sure, though. I will probably start walking and then see how I feel.

I am getting excited by the idea of it, though. I used to run in my 20s. It's actually been just over ten years, probably, since the last time I ran, but it feels like a different lifetime. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
I am 45, and at 175-180pounds and 5 foot tall I started one Saturday. One thing I can say for sure, get the best shoes you can afford. My feet hurt from Saturdays meet. No musce pain or even, surprisingly, back pain, but the balls of my feet feel really bruised and sore.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote