Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/02/2013
I'm going to have a hard time fitting in my Callnetic's tonight but I don't want to miss! Dinner reservations at 6:30, then a movie. So I have 5:00 - 6:00 to do the video then I have to get ready!
2f2f is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Toaster
Just got Callanetics Evolution; I plan to try it for the first time tomorrow.

I would love to know if some of the people who have had great results with Callanetics are more "pear-shape" body types. I am a normal weight and my torso is quite slim (you can see my ribs!), but I hold a LOT of weight in my hips & thighs plus have a J-Lo type booty (well, not shaped quite as nice as hers--mine sticks out AND has a lot of extra fat).

I've done workouts similar to Callanetics in the past, but sometimes it seems like my body responds better to using heavier weights. However, I keep hoping for the amazing results that others seem to get!
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Toaster, I am quite the opposite from you. I'm an apple shape - big boobs, big belly and no behind at all.

I'm not sure if I've heard anything about different body shapes responding better than others and am interested to see if any of our experts weigh in!
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Janet, when I've seen before and after photos from Callanetics or similarly unweighted methods such as Tracy Anderson, it seems like MOST of the body shapes were more apple type and had overall weight to lose. Sometimes I hear some people say that they were a "pear" who lost weight with these workouts, but really, it turns out that they were just heavy in the lower body b/c they were heavy overall or maybe they were even more of an hourglass shape--i.e., they never really had that significant discrepancy between the upper/lower half as with a true pear such as myself.

I could be wrong, but that's just my impression.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's good to know for me then - encouraging!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

I'm a rectangle - I'm just big all over
Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did not do my Callanetics last night, but will do it again tonight.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
I'm so behind in posting -- but thankfully, not behind in my callanetics!!!!

Week 1: Sunday, 1 hr evolution; two days this week! AM/PM
Week 2: Monday, 1 hr 10-10; 1 day(?) evolution and 1 day AM/PM
Week 3:
Week 4:

Going into week three. I take measurements at the end of the month so I'm hoping for a great change. I also do Fast-5 diet which works on weight/measurements also - so hoping the combo will help!

Happy pulsing!
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

3/10 hours done!

At the end of the DVD, there are message about those with varying medical issues. Mine is my neck. I simply cannot do the stomach exercises without my hands supporting my neck. I can still feel it in my stomach though and have to rest throughout the dvd.

I know there are some modifications in the 10/10 book - do you think it's worth getting or should I just plug away with how I am doing these?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

I just did Callanetics Evolution for the first time yesterday, and today I repeated the Hips & Behind as well as the Legs exercises. I do have a few questions; if Sandra had been on the thread this month, I'm hoping that she can chime in, but I welcome feedback from others as well.

First, although I did review the Callanetics Concepts segment, I am still struggling with the idea of engaging my pelvic floor muscle the entire time. Is this similar to a Kegel type exercise? Also, in yoga, the is the uddiyana bandha which seems similar, but the idea of contracting that area the entire time--even during the stretches!--seems very foreign and challenging to me. I'd love to hear more about how others manage this.

My second question is regarding positioning for the hip moves on the floor. I don't find being on my forearm very comfortable; I'd prefer to be more upright, slightly leaning on my hand. Is this okay? Similarly, it's harder for me to maintain good form with the one arm stretched over my head. Is having this arm raised necessary? Is there some advantage to doing it?

Finally, I'm wondering about the pulses themselves. I've been doing the circular ones, as it seems like I can feel these the most. However, is one version any better than the other?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

4/10 hours in!

I woke up with a splitting headache today so won't be doing anything today.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Still hoping for answers to my questions!

I did Legs again today along with the Abs & Stretch, so that makes 2 hours for me this week. Are the 10 hours supposed to be completed within a certain time frame to see maximal results?

I also re-watched the tips about the pelvic floor; it helped a little, although I still find it quite hard to do.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mandiew
4/10 done! Have been a bit slack though as I've had a cold, back on it now though!
mandiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
I just did Callanetics Evolution for the first time yesterday, and today I repeated the Hips & Behind as well as the Legs exercises. I do have a few questions; if Sandra had been on the thread this month, I'm hoping that she can chime in, but I welcome feedback from others as well.

First, although I did review the Callanetics Concepts segment, I am still struggling with the idea of engaging my pelvic floor muscle the entire time. Is this similar to a Kegel type exercise? Also, in yoga, the is the uddiyana bandha which seems similar, but the idea of contracting that area the entire time--even during the stretches!--seems very foreign and challenging to me. I'd love to hear more about how others manage this.

My second question is regarding positioning for the hip moves on the floor. I don't find being on my forearm very comfortable; I'd prefer to be more upright, slightly leaning on my hand. Is this okay? Similarly, it's harder for me to maintain good form with the one arm stretched over my head. Is having this arm raised necessary? Is there some advantage to doing it?

Finally, I'm wondering about the pulses themselves. I've been doing the circular ones, as it seems like I can feel these the most. However, is one version any better than the other?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Can you please let me know where it feels uncomfortable when you have forearm resting? Most common areas of discomfort with beginners is in neck and shoulders. Here are a few checks you can make when in position:

1. Is your spine straight from tailbone to crown of head?
2. Are your shoulder blades eased down towards your hips and widened out to the sides? Avoid elevating your shoulders to your ears.

You are also changing your alignment so it may be necessary for you to take breathers in the beginning to remain in a stable position with the above pointers in place.

Don't worry about raising the arm over head. This isn't vital and you can add this down the track when you are feeling stronger and more stable.
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Sandra, thanks so much for your responses!!!

About the pelvic floor--love the idea of just forgetting it! However, the cue to externally rotate the thighs is actually helpful to me. I do a lot of yoga, and in my Anusara yoga classes specifically, you do want to keep the thighs externally rotated.

With the discomfort resting on my forearm, it's more that I feel scrunched in this position; I feel that it's easier to lengthen properly if I am propped up on my hands. Same with putting the arm over my head--i.e., it seems to throw off my form rather than elongate me.

Thanks again for your help; I will watch some of your videos as well! The good news is that after just two total hours of Callanetics last week, I definitely feel it.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
Sandra, thanks so much for your responses!!!

About the pelvic floor--love the idea of just forgetting it! However, the cue to externally rotate the thighs is actually helpful to me. I do a lot of yoga, and in my Anusara yoga classes specifically, you do want to keep the thighs externally rotated.

With the discomfort resting on my forearm, it's more that I feel scrunched in this position; I feel that it's easier to lengthen properly if I am propped up on my hands. Same with putting the arm over my head--i.e., it seems to throw off my form rather than elongate me.

Thanks again for your help; I will watch some of your videos as well! The good news is that after just two total hours of Callanetics last week, I definitely feel it.

Great that external rotation of thighs (deep hip rotators) work for you. It will engage the PF without you having to 'over engage' meaning contracting low back,buttocks etc. Soooo much easier and user friendly I, and my students, think

Do try to master the forearm position in time. Start the set up by sitting up and then stretch the spine out before resting forearm down. It may just mean that you need to rest your forearm further away to enable you to stay lengthened out of pelvis. Both sides of your waist must be lifted to keep the spine lengthened from tailbone thru crown...

....and the big mistake students make with the arm being up and over is that they STRETCH up the arm rather than REACH the arm up and over. Your shoulder blades must be in place 'eased down to hips and broad' Avoid elevating your shoulders to ears.

So, as a reminder - the stretch is up thru the spine only.

I did start to reply to your pulsing question and my computer took a long lunch break so...

Each pulse does shape the muscle slightly differently so play with them all. It's always best to avoid doing the same thing all the time. Master first the traditional pulse and when it becomes smaller and smoother then move on to the circular pulse and when that too becomes smaller and smoother then move on to back and forth. After that use them all, mixing them up during one exercise or picking one pulse for a couple of days and then another. It's up to you but just - mix 'em up
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

5/10 hours in!

After reading so much about the pelvic floor, and knowing that I have no idea what that is, I finally found an explanation that made sense to me, right here on this site!
So, during last night's hour I really tried to be conscious of that area and tried to keep it engaged as much as possible.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Janet, what was the explanation that made sense to you--was it something different than what is posted on this thread?
Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is the link:

This video made so much sense to me! I could not figure out what was meant by "squeezing between my sit-bones" and now I think I've got it.
I was able to do quite a few more of the stomach exercises in 10/10 although I still struggle in that area.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mandiew
5/10 done. I hated not doing it while I had a cold, just didn't feel up to it and I really felt flabby and yuk! Got it done tonight and felt great!
mandiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CosmicGirl
WOE: Vegetarian (trying to be vegan!)
Start Date: Jan 2014
Question for Sandra...

In the 10/10 vid Callan said that one of the benefits of the stomach exercises was that they "lift the breasts"... Is this also the case if you do the wave style stomach exercises????
Wonder if I should do both...
CosmicGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Well for Feburary 2/10

I started on the 15th and then have had numerous excuses not to do the video (Valentines day, birthday parties ect.). But am going to finish out February with 4 more hours then, continue in March! My plan is to do Sundays, Tuesdays & Thursdays. So that means in March I should have 12 hours. I know I can do this, I need to quit making excuses for not exercising I mean 12 hours is not that much is a month, I really don't know what my problem is.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Motivation is my biggest problem too.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: leena_k
Quick question to all the experts out there ... i have all the three quick callanetics dvds.. if I do each of them everyday will that be as effective as doing 2 10/10 a week ...
leena_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
I just started doing the 10 in 10 video. I'd never heard of Callanetics before reading about it on this board, and when I asked my friends/family if they'd ever done it everyone thought I was talking about calisthenics. lol So I have the book now and the video! I love the bum shots in the book! Very inspirational. My SIL saw the "portfolio of proof" in the book and decide to join me! Ha! lol It's a late start but I want to join ya'll for this months challenge. So far I've got 3/7. ..and I'm not sure if it's just wishful thinking but I may notice a small change in my sides already. Here's hoping.
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 150.2/148/120
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Aug 26 2013
After reading the rave reviews, I've ordered 10 in 10 and am starting am/pm tomorrow morning. Reeeaally hoping to have some amazing results like everyone else!
Spoonful of Happiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

3/10 for February. March will be better!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inmemoryofmolly
Will be waiting for the March 2013 challenge. Just a question, what other form of workout is best paired with callanetics? I've read in the Before and After forums that some of them run on the elliptical or did some other form of cardio. Is that the most effective combo? Thank you!
inmemoryofmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

I don't really know the answer to this, but I started exercising on February 13 and have really kicked it up a notch - I'm not weighing or measuring until Feb 28 so I don't know if it is working:

M-F (AM) - 20 Minute Turbo Jam
M-F (Lunch) - 40 Minute Treadmill (19 min mile - I'm not really killing myself)
Sun,T, Th (PM) Callnetics
Th (PM) Volleyball League
Sun (PM) Softball League

Sometimes I fill in for softball leagues on Wednesday and Friday's but they are just here in there. I also try and hike at least 1 day on the weekend.

To most really fit people I'm sure this doesn't seem like a lot but it feels like a lot to me. I'm sure I will get better as time goes by but right now I'm still very out of shape.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad others have joined this challenge!