LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
Couch to 5 kms aka c25k Thread

Okay so I feel bad highjacking the last thread so I want to start my own for myself and others that have done, plan to do, or for the curious minds regarding c25k.
Today was my first week day 1 and it was easy peasy! Very tempted to skip the first week or two but I am fighting the urge. I was able to download an app for my android phone that plays my music, times me, tells me when to walk or run, tracks calories aswell as some other great features I havent played around with. It only took 28 minutes out of my day so I have no excuses and I look forward to gear up and run like a pro by April!! I have such a phobia of running outside where people can see me so that is my goal as I live 5 minutes from a military base with a great running trail.Anyways I would love to hear from others doing this program and maybe we can complete it together.....

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ValR
Stats: 178/153/140
I will join you in this. I've tried doing it several times and never finished the program. I'm bound and determined this the time I finish the whole program. I'm just starting week six and doing it on the treadmill only because I live in a state with horrible winter weather.
ValR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Yay! I am also doing it on the treadmill.
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.6/?
WOE: lc
I'll start tomorrow. Did the program once before and it went well, just sorta lost interest. I think this may help me stay on track with my eating as well-goals other than just weight loss to focus on.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
GGGGooooooooooo Vanessa !!

I did the program twice..a couple of years ago..once on the tread and once outside and im still running all the time

running outside is so much nicer than in
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Did Wk 1 day 1 today on the treadmill 28 mins/2.06 miles. I prefer outside but it's too cold and rainy. My gym has an indoor track that I will probably use more than the treadmill, today I just wanted to get an idea of where I am starting from.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Did Wk 1 day 1 today on the treadmill 28 mins/2.06 miles. I prefer outside but it's too cold and rainy. My gym has an indoor track that I will probably use more than the treadmill, today I just wanted to get an idea of where I am starting from.
So how did you do? I am looking forward to doing day 2 tomorrow! I actually wanted to get day 2 done today but I am experiencing a straining of sorts that is stretched across the top of my foot. When I point my toes it goes from my big toe to my ankle. I thought it was just an irritation from my laces but I think it might be from pushing myself way too hard the previous week ( ran a 5km and 2 3km and I clearly was not ready for that!) . Will follow the plan as written and I should be able to handle it.

Good luck girls!!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

It felt fairly easy since you have all the walk breaks. I am not sore or anything, but sometimes that happens the second day for me. I am used to walking pretty briskly, it gets hard and boring for me when the longer runs come in the later weeks.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I got wk 1 day 2 out of the way! I picked it up in pace a bit to feel like a decent little workout. I ran at a 6 instead of a 5....I know it don't sound like much but my short legs were moving!!! I still have some pain along the top of my foot but I easily ran through it with little discomfort. I will have two do day 3 tomorrow as I work a straight 48 hour shift from friday night to sunday night. Its my own fault for being lazy on Monday but I plan to stick to M-W-F so I dont need to double up too often. Now its time to eat.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Vanessa
How long have you been running? Are you close to doing the 5k in thirty minutes yet?

I am getting a nasty cold and hope to be able to do my day 2 tomorrow, if not I think I will start over on Monday as Day 1. I prefer a M-W-F schedule as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I have just started the program. I have wanted to run for years but never knew where to start. I recently just started to push myself and I got somewhat obsessed. I would push with everything I had then end up run down or injured so I had to take a few steps back and do it right. I never realized that one should train before just jumping into it.
I have run a 5km but it nearly killed me lol. My hope is to be a runner, to love it, to use it as a way to release anxiety. I hope to complete this program and then continue on with the 5km-10km program and train outdoors. I am pretty excited about this! I love setting goals for myself.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I just finished week 6 run 2. I'm really pleased with how well things are going. The other times I tried doing this I pushed myself too hard and wanted results quickly. This time I'm more relaxed about it and even though I sometimes have too many days in between the workouts it's working well for me. My next four runs will be 25 minutes and I'm really going to struggle to accomplish them but I'm also looking forward to the challenge of being able to accomplish them.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Hi ValR
Wow week 6 is great...I cant wait ro get there! I got week 1 complete, finished day 3 this morning. It is so hard to follow the plan as written when in the early weeks...feels like I just start to run when its time to walk again. I actually cheated twice and skipped the walk and started the next interval run.

Do either of you ladies use a smartphone app? I use rundouble and love it! It is free for the first 2 weeks and then it is $1.57. It has several different running programs and it can track distance or time, tracks each run, will play the music you have on your phone, voice prompts at each interval, and a bunch of other things... I will purchase the app for sure. Even has a training program for the 5-10k that I want to do next!

Last edited by canadiangirl; 02-01-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
I'm subscribing. I started doing this last year but didn't complete it. Can't do it now as I don't have access to a treadmill and it's snowy/wet outside, but I'm super psyched to read everyone's progress.
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I'm going to look into the rundouble app. I've been using Get Running on my ipod.

Tomorrow morning I'm attempting my first 25 minute. I'm both nervous and excited.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

So I got my ridiculously long shift done with until next Friday so even though I would rather do nothing but sit on my butt and chill I know once I get moving I will feel much better. I did my week 2 day 1 this morning and I ended up following it with day 2 also...I know you arent supposed to do that but I did not eat too great over the weekend and needed to burn some extra calories. I am still having top of foot pain and I think its actually initiated from my shoes...they are a nice runner with 90% mesh to help air circulation but the lace holes seem very prominate because the material is so thin. I think its hitting a pressure point when I run... I recently put insoles in so maybe that makes it worse too. I took them out and I hope it feels better for my next run.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

So got week 2 day 3 done! For some reason I found it to be a bit of a struggle today, like my legs were tired. Maybe cauae I doubled up on day 1 and 2? I wonder if I will even be able to do the later runs....I hope so. On top of that I have gained 4 pounds in 2 weeks ( without changing my diet), it is TOM for me so lets hope that is the problem. I don't feel like I've gained so maybe just the scale being mean...the number on the scale isn't as important to me as looking and feeling good.
Anyone that has done this before find week 2 a bit of a struggle? When on the treadmill what do you run at and what do you brisk walk at?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Good job on making it through week 2. I'm not a natural runner and understand what you mean about struggling. Some days are easier than others and it's not always because of the distance. I haven't figured out why I'm not consistent and the only thing I can think of is that it's a mental thing and I'm not as focused some days.

Today I started week 7 and it took everything I had to keep going. The run was 25 minutes (the same as my last one) but I couldn't go as fast and it took forever to finish. My runs are at 4.5 mph and I walk at 3.8 when I'm on the treadmill.

I really hope that I can enjoy running by the time I finish the program. Right now it's a goal to tackle but I want it to me more than that.

Eat Less, Exercise more
Increase water consumption
Spend Less, Save More
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Take Classes for Business Degree
November Walking Goal 39/50
Miles Walked in 2014: 873
Old 02-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: labmini
Stats: Pregnant!
WOE: Keeping it real, clean and low carb
Start Date: 7/1/12
I think I might jump in here. I have been trying to complete the program and started and stopped twice since thanksgiving. I think last time I was trying to go to fast. I also know I need to do week 3 twice. Good to have someplace to go for some support. I think I'll get on the treadmill today
labmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labmini View Post
I think I might jump in here. I have been trying to complete the program and started and stopped twice since thanksgiving. I think last time I was trying to go to fast. I also know I need to do week 3 twice. Good to have someplace to go for some support. I think I'll get on the treadmill today
I come to this thread often for my own support as I find it so helpful to read other posts regarding c25k. I try to post after each run as it keeps me accountable and it helps me to document that I am 1 step closer to achieving my goal.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

labmini-
You brought up a good point about going too fast through the program. I did that on my previous attempts and it didn't work. There is nothing wrong with repeating the walks/runs. I've even put an extra days in between some of the workouts and it has really helped me this time.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

I try to keep my walks at about 4mph, run anywhere from 5-6.5 mph easy to do when you're running for such a short time. That is if you trust the treadmill readouts- seems like by the time the speed adjusts down/up you are a few seconds into the change.

A lady I babysit for amazes me when she was only a couple months post-partum she was complaining about 11 min. miles, she very quickly progressed and now does 5k's in 23-25 minutes. She almost always win top finisher in her age group (she's 33), and often wins top female finisher.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
Hey ladies! I'm a huge fan of the C25K. It is what got me started running many years (and about 15 lbs less) ago. From my experience, I don't recommend skipping steps. I think the program also suggests repeating weeks if they are tough.

I'm working on the C28K now. Wow, it's tough. I started in week 6 of a 10 week program and I'm wondering if its a mistake.
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Joining in - used to run ALL. THE. TIME! Have 2 full, too many to count 1/2s, couple duathlons (you'll never catch me swimming) and all the associated training. Then...life happened. I did a 1/2 last summer and it was TERRIBLE, I didn't train properly, wrong shoes, huge blisters, very painful. Today's race was 8.25 miles, and I did better training for it but I'd like to get back into a regular groove and try to break sub 2:30 for my 1/2 this summer, which will be tough as the course is incredibly hilly. But I'm going to train with that goal. I think I need something more structured to really get my speed up and miles in, so we're going to go back to basics with the C25K, then 10K then 1/2. The race is in August so I should have plenty of time.
15K in 2 weeks with my momma, its a hot chocolate race (google the hot chocolate 5k and 15K race series - and check out the pictures of the finisher's mug)!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
May I join you? I JUST started a Couch to 5K program at my Y with a group called Mothers Making Strides. I am a TRUE couch starter. And I didn't actually think we would start the first meeting (this past sat) and wore regular 'trainer' type shoes and OMG my ball of my feet hurt! Not the first day, and not much on Sunday but worse every day. I am wearing a better pair of shoes, because it hurts less with shoes on, But I need to go get some good shoes tonight. Any suggestions? From what I read the trainers are the worst for walking/running, But walking shoes are probably not good either as the goal is to walk/jog then progress to a run, right?
What kinds of shoes are you all wearing for this? (I will start a thraed with the same question just in case!)
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Aasics brand shoes always make my feet feel so good that it's worth the hefty price.

I need to keep working on my running....I've put it off for the past two days and need to get back on track tomorrow. I have five runs left in order to finish the program. I'm interested in the couch to 8 after seeing it on this thread but haven't been able to find it in the itunes store. That might be a good thing because I'd probably need an oxygen tank to go along with it.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
I found the pacing chart online and just input the intervals into Run Keeper, the app that I use to track with. Nice and customizable.
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

So I repeated week 2 and am now back to where I left off! Started week 3 day 1 and loved it! Found it more challenging but not as bad as I had anticipated. I am re-focussed and determined to be running outdoors this spring already conditioned to run! My bday is approaching and I have asked for a small pack to carry my phone and epipen, wireless headphones, and bottle with a hand grip strap, and of course some cute clothing
Anyone else have any must have suggestions for me or things that are a waste of money?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Almost done week 3, 2 down and 1 to go! Today was a bit of a challenge, more so then day 1. Is day 3 compared to day 1 supposed to be more of a challenge? As the week goes on the run gets harder (even though it is the same intervals) . I find that the walk/run intervals tend to tire my legs more then a steady run. Any advice or is this just the way it works? I completed the work out though (didnt help my patience at all when the kids kept asking me questions mid run!) I am curious to hear answers to my question as it will help determine if I do week 3 again until it gets easy.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

There were a few weeks that I had to do over. I wasn't comfortable moving forward when I was struggling so badly. Sometimes I take two days in between the runs and it's helped because there are days my legs feel like lead even after having a day off.