Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #31
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
I am struggling. Have had a stomach thing a few days this week and my knee is still hurting, though my last run was SATURDAY! I am not looking forward to our group practice Saturday morning, and really might skip it, though that is a BAD choice, makes it easier to just ...yanno... Quit. and I don't want to do that.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
Week 3 is complete! It went so well I was prepared to do another interval but was tickled pink when the anouncer said to slow my pace down to a cool down walk!
Question: when you (anyone) run do the balls of you feet hit first or your heel? I have been playing around with both methods and heel first seems to be so much more impact then toes... Is there a right or wrong way?
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
From the little bit that I've read about running form, I think you're supposed to aim for a mid-sole strike.
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
Run a couple sprints. The way your body naturally moves during a regular sprint is good form. It's hard not to think about it when you are doing it though.
Skinny Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Galloway says to run in a way that feels natural to you.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ValR
Stats: 178/153/140
I officially graduated from the couch to 5k program this morning. I'm going to continue doing the last week of the program because I found out I can't run on my own yet without being encouraged by the voice on the program. I'm going to gradually increase my speed, too.
ValR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #37
Formerlychubchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValR View Post
I officially graduated from the couch to 5k program this morning. I'm going to continue doing the last week of the program because I found out I can't run on my own yet without being encouraged by the voice on the program. I'm going to gradually increase my speed, too.
Congrats Val!! I am still plugging along, but at least I got my treadmill back from DD and it is set up in the front room!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Congrats Val!!! Keep us posted on how things are going. I am making my way through but am doing week 3 for a second time just to be sure I am ready to move on.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! I'm going to keep hanging out with you so I don't become a quitter.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

My birthday is around the corner and my wish list consists of outdoor running gear so I am so excited! With some hard earned money invested I will be more likely to put it to good use.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Got some nice running stuff for my bday! New headphones (yurbuds), a running jacket, hand strap water bottle and a pretty new pair of asics... so even though I have used my bday as an excuse this week to NOT run I just couldnt wait to try all my stuff out. So I hopped back on the horse and started my week 4.....went wonderfully. I also took this to the next level and reached out to a local run group. They run 5-8kms every tuesday and thursday and 25km every Sunday. Now I work weekends so I wont be participating in their 25km run (thanks gosh for that!) But I am considering joining. I explained that I am a beginner and can barely run 5km but they said they do have a handful of beginners and that I would fit right in.....nervous and excited at the same time. I may join them this Tuesday as a trial run to see if this is way out of my league.

Last edited by canadiangirl; 03-15-2013 at 11:19 AM..
Old 03-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

New workout clothes are always a good motivator to work out especially when you feel good about what you are wearing.

I've run three times this week and plan to keep sticking with it even though I don't like it. the other day I tried running outside and it was a disaster and realized it will never work for me to do it that way. This will be TMI so don't look if you aren't a girl: my bladder can't handle the impact on cement and the longer strides after having four kids. I will just keep using the treadmill.

I'm going on vacation for five days and plan to actually use the fitness center in the hotel. I've always been a slug on vacation so this a whole new commitment on my part to keep running during my trip.

Eat Less, Exercise more
Increase water consumption
Spend Less, Save More
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Take Classes for Business Degree
June Walking Goal 74/90
Miles Walked in 2014: 563
Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

I just completed day 2 of week 4 and it went well again. I find the run is just long enough so you can zone out and not focus so much on the running...I am a day dreamer so I enjoyed the zoning out part! Anything less then the 5 minutes I focus on the time and how tired I am. I am really looking forward to week 5!

Is there anyone else that follows this thread currently working through the program?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #44
Formerlychubchick

I was, but I think I went too fast and hurt my knee, I am just walking it now. Once I can walk 5k I will work on adding in the running.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Just completed week 4! Week 5 looks like it means business, its a big jump from week 4. If its too much I will stay on week 5 until it is comfortable.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Was worried I wouldnt get to this point after some struggles in week three but I have just completed day 2of week 5! My next run (monday) will be 20 minute run so its a huge jump up this week. I have uet to stop mid run or even to adjust my speed to I am confident (and very stubborn) that I will get through it.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
May I join in?

I just completed Week 1 and if you knew me at all, your jaw would drop! I am the one that says that you will only see me running if someone is chasing me with a deadly weapon or if I'm running, you'd better start running too because something bad is coming!

I'm not really sure what motivated me to do this, but I just decided Monday morning to do it and I did it! It's not as bad as I thought and I've set a goal of running my first 5K in our small town this July. I'm not telling anyone that I'm doing this, not even my family! I am running on my treadmill right now as the weather is cruddy right now, but am looking forward to seeing what running outside is like.

Looking forward to posting here!
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Yes please do!!
Not many pop in here that often anymore but I continue to post as I find it helps keep me going. I would love to hear about your accomplishments and struggles. Its not always easy but its nice to share your experience.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #49
Formerlychubchick

I walked 2 miles yesterday! YAY! comming along.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Thought I'd pop in and see what is happening.

Hi Meli-Mel. Good luck on the program!

Curve: Walking is good. Hopefully you aren't having problems with pain.

C. Girl: The week you are running is a tough one but once you tackle that 20 minute run your confidence about completing the program will soar and you will be even more motivated to finish the program.

I'm still repeating the final week of the program. The hotel I stayed in last week didn't have a treadmill so I walked outside in the morning. If you have ever been to Branson and walked the strip you know the WHOLE street is uphill no matter what direction you go. Walking was quite a workout with the hills and I can't imagine anyone being able to run them.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the welcome!

Just finished W2D1 and it went well. Well, except that I kept hitting the darn fast forward button on my iPod, so I don't know if I did one too many run segments or one too few.

It's supposed to warm up a bit, so hopefully I can get a run outside this week. I've been running on my treadmill and I know outside is quite different. I'm interested to see how different.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Just completed day 3 of week 5! Oh my what a challenge that was! I managed to get it done and thats what counts. The worst part of it was when the voice prompt says " half way there"!
Hi Meli, glad its going well. I also run on the treadmill but I am dying to run outside. Today was beautiful but I am petrified to run outside...hopefully I can get past this soon. Let me know how different it is outside. I think I am scared I will only be able to run a fraction of what I can run on the treadmill.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Val- what eating plan do you follow? I only ask because I eat low carb and when I am having a clean week I tend to crash and burn and when I have given in to something high carb I can just keep going. I strive to be ketosis so I am trying to find a happy balance. Today I ate fat bombs 20 minutes bedore my workout and still felt myself crash at 13 minutes in...any tips?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dariasen
Stats: 241/228/150-140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 3/14/13
Hi all,
Hope you don't mind me jumping in.

I'm starting the Zombies Run c25k program tomorrow and am so excited. Hoping that the storyline will make everything more exciting. I wan to run, but I really hate being alone with my thoughts because all I do is ask myself when it will all be over.
I have my sneakers, my clothes and my route...let's hope my body will work with me.
dariasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: highvibes
Stats: 225/212/145
WOE: Primal-ish
Start Date: March 2013
Room for 1 more? I started C25K 3 weeks ago, I'm om W3D2 and find it pretty doable.... S=L-O-W, but definitely doable. I can't imagine being able to do this for more than 3 minutes, like in week 4!!! eeek. Anyways, I'm new to LCF and new to running
highvibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Always room! Its nice to see some activity around here! I am on day2 week 6 and was supposed to run today but got busy and kinda lazy and bailed on it. I may be stalling because it is getting intense and although I have been able to get through the runs I cant help but feel a bit intimidated by the challenge. I ran last Thursday but because I work a 48 hour shift during the weekend I am unable to run so I usually run on Mondays. I will do it tomorrow morning.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl View Post
Always room! Its nice to see some activity around here! I am on day2 week 6 and was supposed to run today but got busy and kinda lazy and bailed on it. I may be stalling because it is getting intense and although I have been able to get through the runs I cant help but feel a bit intimidated by the challenge. I ran last Thursday but because I work a 48 hour shift during the weekend I am unable to run so I usually run on Mondays. I will do it tomorrow morning.
Just noticed you are also from Barrie! Small world
I registered for the Barrie Canada Day 5K... I hope I have enough time to literally go from couch to 5k.

I'm a bit intimidated by next week... I don't know how I'll manage 5 straight minutes, I end up adding extra days to some weeks so I may do that with this one as well!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariasen View Post
Hi all,
Hope you don't mind me jumping in.

I'm starting the Zombies Run c25k program tomorrow and am so excited. Hoping that the storyline will make everything more exciting. I wan to run, but I really hate being alone with my thoughts because all I do is ask myself when it will all be over.
I have my sneakers, my clothes and my route...let's hope my body will work with me.
I have heard so many good things about Zombies! Run but I don't know if that's such a good idea. I'm the jumper when we watch Walking Dead and I also run on a wooded trail, probably not a good idea lol
Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

A zombie storyline would be fun to run to! That would motivate me!

I finished W2, but my treadmill is acting up, so hopefully it will behave this morning. I still haven't gotten outside to run, but this week is looking promising as it's supposed to be nice. I originally hadn't told anyone I was doing this, but broke down and told my husband. I just can't keep a secret from him! he was very supportive and impressed!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

I havent heard of the zombie run until now but it sounds fun! I just use the rundouble app and it works well for me.
I just completed day 2 of week 6....it isnt this run thats made me nervous but day 3 of week 6 and I think that was causing me to hold off on this run as long as possible! Oh well, day 3 is next so I have 2 days to convince myself that I really can do this..