Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Energy for endurance, but not resistance workouts?

I'm on day 19 of Atkins. I did my 14 day induction and now I'm onto OWL. I get about 30 carbs per day and plenty of fat as far as I can tell (butter, cream, cheese, fatty cuts of meat, nut butters and avocado everyday plus fat bombs as needed).

My cardio has improved. I can go longer and faster at 85% of my max heart rate. But I tried my typical circuit training work out yesterday and I bonked halfway through. My muscles are still sore. I'm drinking enough, taking potassium via a homemade electrolyte drink and taking 1000mg of magnesium citrate daily. Plus I take a performance multivitamin,a b complex including 3,000mcg of B12 and chromium.

I don't know what to do in terms of exercise. I've been researching for hours and I'm out of ideas. Do I wait and see if I adapt better, do I try carb cycling and eat 20+g of carbs before circuit training? I really want to build muscle and lose the fat and be in great shape. The great shape is very important to me, not just the fat loss. So I don't want to just stay on the treadmill.

Thoughts?
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Do not just stay on the treadmill! I wouldn't if they paid me.
How long has it been since you did weights last time? If you stick to the treadmill for a while then restart lifting you will experience a setback and need to reduce volume a bit before to be at the same level you were before.
I wouldn't change your diet because you have been doing that since 19 days at least and crashing once can be given by so many reasons not related to nutrition that we may be all barking up the wrong tree if we blamed that.
About the soreness, it's ok to be sore. It depends HOW sore obviously but only saying sore does not mean you should stop. Some sore needs rest, some other needs another workout. What sore was that?
Personally I would keep doing the circuit workout (together with the treadmill) and just bite the bullet. It will improve with no need to touch your diet, which I think is pretty much ok.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Middle of December was the last time I did weights. I went on vacation after that and then when I got back, I started Induction. And I wasn't about to do that on induction. Walking was exhausting enough so I waited. But it hasn't been that long. I can leave training for a month and pick up basically where I left off. I don't tend to get very sore. I work to exhaustion and I drink alot and I stretch alot afterward. My muscles now feel rather weak during daily activities, even. I didn't have that before going low carb. I do not look forward to the next routine, and in fact, I haven't gone back since.
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl30 View Post
I do not look forward to the next routine, and in fact, I haven't gone back since.
At times we have to do things we do not like, to get something we like.

I think you are a lucky one, I cannot be off one month weightlifting and then pick up from where I left. One week off is enough for me to be in trouble.
Personally I think you should bite the bullet and workout, eventually change your diet if you really believe that is to blame, but dropping workouts? No. No.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
ketoadaptation takes a lot more than 19 days. I would continue with the routines you have scheduled and if you have a hard time doing them, decrease the weight or do fewer reps for now, but in 2-4 weeks you should be fully ketoadapted so long as you remain at your current carbohydrate level. Remember that adding carbs will take you out of ketosis and make ketoadaptation harder, thus limiting your ability to do work because it limits your ketone energy supply.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
and make sure you are drinking plenty of water. And try working out for a few days without the electrolytes. A lot of times we add way too much. Only add a small amount of electrolytes if you are getting cramps or sweating more than usual, ie, in high heat.

Last edited by creseis; 01-24-2013 at 06:27 AM..
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote