Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Exercise Board (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/)
-   -   Stand up for your health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/792606-stand-up-your-health.html)

E.W. 01-02-2013 07:18 AM

Stand up for your health

I found this interesting vidio I wanted to share. The vidio points out that
when you sit you turn off a fat burning enzime and time working out will
not realy make up for all the damage done by just sitting to much.

Stand Up For Your Health -- Physiologists And Microbiologists Find Link Between Sitting And Poor Health

Gretalyn 01-02-2013 08:29 AM

As someone who suffers from piriformis pain, I know that sitting is very hard on my body! For my birthday later this month, I'm requesting a standing-height desk. Thanks for sharing this article!

LiterateGriffin 01-03-2013 03:50 AM

My husband's been standing at work for nearly a year. Right after we moved here, he had trouble getting his new work to authorize a standing-desk, and it was agony for him.

They even make treadmill desks, for people like me for whom standing would be BAD. (Prolonged standing agravates my knees in a way that walking does not. I bring a wheelchair to go to the museum or zoo -- but I'll take a hike or a long walk and be fine.)

At home, for now, at least, he kneels on a meditation-bench, with his keyboard and monitor set up at knee- and hip-height, respectively. (The top of his monitor comes JUST to the top of my hip, when I stand next to it.)

Gretalyn, if you're looking at new desks, my husband uses a Kangaroo Pro, which converts a "normal" desk into a standing station. He can lower it to sit, if he needs to for any reason. He really loves this desk. The "pure" standing-stations can be extremely pricey, and some of them look great but don't work very well. At his old office, a co-worker had one, and the monitor rattled badly every time he typed. Just something to keep in mind, as you're looking at models. :)

Standing at work seems to be contagious. At his old office, someone ELSE started it, which inspired my husband (who'd been fighting for a chair that didn't kill his back) and others... By the time he left, around 1/3 of their developers were standing -- and vastly preferring it.

Now, at his new job... Well, he's from California, you know, and they're all a little odd out there... But a few people ARE intrigued. I can see the snowball starting to roll, again!

Feelin'Great! 01-04-2013 09:54 PM

We're all a little odd?

westside 01-05-2013 08:19 AM

My workstation at home has telescopic legs and I've been thinking about raising it to standing hight and get something like a bar stool if I feel like sitting. I'm active but I also know i spend too much time sitting during the course of the day.

Gretalyn 01-06-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin (Post 16167662)
Gretalyn, if you're looking at new desks, my husband uses a Kangaroo Pro, which converts a "normal" desk into a standing station. He can lower it to sit, if he needs to for any reason. He really loves this desk. The "pure" standing-stations can be extremely pricey, and some of them look great but don't work very well. At his old office, a co-worker had one, and the monitor rattled badly every time he typed. Just something to keep in mind, as you're looking at models. :)

Thank you, I'll check it out!

LiterateGriffin 01-06-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westside (Post 16173120)
My workstation at home has telescopic legs and I've been thinking about raising it to standing hight and get something like a bar stool if I feel like sitting. I'm active but I also know i spend too much time sitting during the course of the day.

I'm totally jealous of you! Wish we could afford one of those for home, but the ones we've seen that look stable are all over $1k.

westside 01-06-2013 06:58 PM

I paid about $350? at IKEA. Actually, I haven't brought it up yet but it looks like it has 16" left on raising the desk

LiterateGriffin 01-06-2013 07:26 PM

Can't find any telescoping computer desks on the IKEA Website. :( Closest I could find were some adjustable laptop-desks, that were extremely inadequate. (ie: fine for keyboard, but no place to set mouse/monitor). And those weren't in the price-range you're describing -- they were under $100, so I know they're not what you meant. :(