Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetthang07
WOE: LC, Zumba 3x per week, Callanetics 3x per week
Start Date: 1/7/13
Finished hour 1 of Evolution. Wow! I was exhausted like I am after an hour of zumba. Didn't think it would make me sweat!
sweetthang07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Serenity_Rose
Stats: 290/290/130
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: January 2013
I'd like to hop in, if I may

I used to dance - I know Callanetics works... I just have to make myself do it.

I'm not even 100% I can make it through the full program right now, I may have to modify to begin with. So, my first goal is to do as much as I can, as best I can, two days a week.
Serenity_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hoops
Stats: 5'9"
I may join you all later down the road. I need to order a new 10 in 10.
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 186/182/148
Start Date: 12/16/12
3/12 down! Feeling pretty good about myself! Have sprinkled in walking on the treadmill and a 4 minute Tabata kettlebell workout. Will measure after hour 5 and post results. Also, my daughter and I are doing Nutrisystem together for a couple of months but I plan on going back to LC afterward.

Have a beautiful day, all!
Chris
WonderfullyWitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: daphnelorraine
Stats: 36/44/41
WOE: healthy eating
Start Date: december 2012
4/10 done !
daphnelorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stressfree
WOE: None
Happy New Year to all and may I say what a good choice you've all made with Callanetics. I was introduced to this exercise method back 25 years ago and loved it, managed to drift away through time, and now I was just gearing up to start 10 in 10 and found this group. Would love to join in and receive the benefits of a supportive group.
Stressfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mandiew
3/10 done!
mandiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurakitty View Post
A little behind on my goal for the month, as I was given some free passes to a variety of fitness classes so I've been having fun trying them out. I have managed three hours of 10/10 so far.

I always worry because I don't really feel anything when doing the hip exercises (the area I need the most help) - any ideas, Sandra? I feel like I am doing them right but I'm not really sure as no muscle in particular seems to be working especially hard...

We gotta work on that then laurakitty

Next time you are working out check that you are maintaining stability of the entire body when you are creating the pulse. ie when doing the first bent leg position for hip and behind. Get in to position as instructed and remain stable and then just move the knee only in that tiny, pulsing movement. Your hips should be immobilised totally and stay lengthened out of your pelvis in both directions down through knee and up through spine. Let go and relax all the muscles around your hip and upper behind. This will lengthen the leg out of the hip sockets even more to allow you to work deeper in to the base of the behind to create the 'lift'

Same applies when you are working with the straight leg...your pelvis shouldn't move. Also, try rotating the leg outwards (or turning the knee out and up) again though, do this without allowing the pelvis or hips to move or roll back.

Does that help? Please let me know
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipsydoodle View Post
Thanks callagirl!

Did another .5 last night. One of these days I'll get to a full hour :P

I have another question/advice needed. I have ALWAYS had lower back pain, sometimes quite severe. I felt some twinges while doing the leg barre stretch that I was having problems earlier with. Any tips on how to alleviate or be mindful of bad backs in this move?

Thank you so much for your advice! I was also wondering - is it worth getting the book?

You know, if they really cause you pain and lowering the leg doesn't work for you then skip 'em Seriously, no big deal. Maybe hold the lying down hamstring stretches for longer.

It could be that your leg is still too high and that you aren't hingeing from the hips correctly. If you're leg is too high then you won't be able to hinge and will then have to bend from the waist - not good Remember, don't make having to touch your toes the big deal !!! Even putting your foot up on a step and bending from hips will work as long as you don't feel low back pain and you do feel the stretch in the back of your leg.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity_Rose View Post
I'd like to hop in, if I may

I used to dance - I know Callanetics works... I just have to make myself do it.

I'm not even 100% I can make it through the full program right now, I may have to modify to begin with. So, my first goal is to do as much as I can, as best I can, two days a week.

Excellent decision Do a little bit of every exercise. Don't get hung up on reaching the required amount of pulses. Just gradually add a couple more pulses each time and BREATHE
Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stressfree View Post
Happy New Year to all and may I say what a good choice you've all made with Callanetics. I was introduced to this exercise method back 25 years ago and loved it, managed to drift away through time, and now I was just gearing up to start 10 in 10 and found this group. Would love to join in and receive the benefits of a supportive group.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of Callanetics Stressfree

You'll be surprised how quickly your body will respond to the exercises once you start back. Plan to workout everyday initially and that way you'll get back in the habit of doing the program. Always, rest for a couple of days though with no workouts at all.

Great that you've joined here also as lots of great people who keep each other motivated and give support. Never any need to work alone any more as we did 25 years ago when we just had a book or video? Oh, how I would have loved this board then...I would have been on it all the time, just connecting with other Callan fans would have been such a blast then as it is now
Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stressfree
WOE: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Callanetics Stressfree

Oh, how I would have loved this board then...I would have been on it all the time, just connecting with other Callan fans would have been such a blast then as it is now
oh my yes that would have been perfect. Thanks for the great welcome Sandra. I was sure sorry to learn of Callan's passing on my birthday no less last year. She was a smart lady who knew her stuff. She'll be missed. Anyway onward and upward

Since it's been awhile I will be modifying my numbers until I feel the strength returning.
Stressfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dipsydoodle
Stats: 230/223/mini:200/perm:150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 2/2013
Thanks Sandra!!!
dipsydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wrappedinbooks
Stats: 155/155/130
WOE: clean eating
Start Date: January 2011
Hi everyone! New to the LCF, this is my first time posting. I joined specially to take part in a callanetics support group. I just completed my first hour of 10/10 yesterday, and am feeling mighty sore but that means it's working, right? I'm relatively sure that I got the hang of most of the exercises (although some of them were a bit baffling). My main problem was during the stomach exercises... my neck and shoulders felt really strained and no matter what, I could not get them to relax. I noticed the message (a bit annoyingly posted at the end of the video) that beginners can put their hands behind their neck, but I'm still worried - is there something I'm doing wrong here?

Anyway, feeling super excited about this! I'm getting married in September, and would really like to shape up a bit before then. (In addition to toning, I could also stand to lose about twenty pounds.) I've been wedding dress shopping already and although I'm not plus-sized (I wear a street size 10), I am pretty hour-glassed and my hip measurements are 44', which actually puts a limit on what samples I can squeeze into. So I'd love to get my hips down. I have a pretty small waist comparatively (32') but my bust is 40' and I wouldn't mind shrinking that a bit too (much to my fiance's disappointment - hee hee!).

Planning on doing this 3-4 times a week and watching my caloric intake -- trying to keep it under 1400. I used to drink a few glasses of red wine almost every night and I'm reducing that drastically as I've really chubbed up since beginning that habit about two years ago. I walk about an hour every day, give or take (I have a dog, and I live in downtown Toronto so don't use a car) and I'm trying to get a 30 min cardio routine going twice a week, but want to focus more on callanetics for the time being.

sorry, feel like I'm babbling now! I'll give it a rest.
wrappedinbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/02/2013
I should get my Callanetics dvd today or Saturday so I would like to join this challenge. I looked at the before and after photos and the progress is amazing. I will take some very shameful pictures of myself this weekend and see how I look at the end of January then Just keep a picture journal from month to month.

My plan/committment:
Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday: 1 hour callanetics
Monday, Wednesday: Turbo jam - cardio party (it's fun) - 45 minutes
Friday: 20 minute turbo jam (in the am)

I will take Friday evenings off. Saturday's I hike, walk or bike ride with my BF - so I will get some exercise in.

I am really curious to see how my body changes. I took my measurements and I am ready to see a difference.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

4/10
Old 01-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

3/10!

Still finding it difficult to do the stomach exercises without straining my neck (for some reason, my neck REALLY wants to be involved) although it is getting easier.

I am overall enjoying this though! I feel the pain, but it is also so relaxing at the same time. Hoping to see some results eventually! I took pics after my first session and will take "after" shots when i've finished hour 10.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dipsydoodle
Stats: 230/223/mini:200/perm:150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 2/2013
1/10 ...!!!!

Welcome, wrappedinbooks! First of all, I LOVE your screen name And secondly, I totally have the same problem with my neck in regards to the stomach exercises. I've always had this issue, but especially with situps. I don't know what to do, other than to focus specifically on relaxing my neck. Sandra (thank you so much for your advice and tips!!!), any suggestions?

I finally made it through a full hour!! Holy mackerel those hip exercises are a doozy. But they felt good to do them. I'm still not sure I'm doing everything right with proper form - I'm going to track down a book from the library, to see if that helps at all.
dipsydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Thanks dipsydoodle, I like your name too!

Finished my fourth round today, and still having issues with my neck -- but I think it's getting better as I'm getting used to things... I found I could get through about 40 pulses before feeling the strain (as opposed to right away). I think my neck/shoulders are just really stiff in general, I constantly have to keep relaxing them during the exercises. I'm glad Callan keeps bringing it up, or I'd never notice.

The one other problem I'm having is the pelvic exercises. I don't have knee problems (that I know of) but they hurt my right knee. I've just stopped doing them (might as well avoid injury) but does anyone know what's going on with that? I don't notice my knees hurting during any of the other exercises.

Hoping I'm not doing everything wrong! I *think* it's mostly going okay though!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/02/2013
I pulled my back muscle last Wednesday in a softball game so have not been able to get started I have my video and I am ready to go! Hopefully I will get to come here support everyone and record my progress soon.
2f2f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

ouch, feel better soon!

5/10 today -- woo!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: daphnelorraine
Stats: 36/44/41
WOE: healthy eating
Start Date: december 2012
6/10 done 4 left to go !!
daphnelorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

5/10

For some reason tonight, when doing the stomach exercises with legs up, my legs keep shaking. Really annoying and never happened before?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

6/10 done and some weights thrown into the mix
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CosmicGirl
WOE: Vegetarian.
Start Date: Jan 2014
Hip and Behind

Does anyone know whether the standing 'leg' exercises on the toning section of the Cardio dvd are actually working the smae muscles as the hip and behind in 10/10????
CosmicGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipsydoodle View Post
1/10 ...!!!!

Welcome, wrappedinbooks! First of all, I LOVE your screen name And secondly, I totally have the same problem with my neck in regards to the stomach exercises. I've always had this issue, but especially with situps. I don't know what to do, other than to focus specifically on relaxing my neck. Sandra (thank you so much for your advice and tips!!!), any suggestions?

I finally made it through a full hour!! Holy mackerel those hip exercises are a doozy. But they felt good to do them. I'm still not sure I'm doing everything right with proper form - I'm going to track down a book from the library, to see if that helps at all.

Neck discomfort is generally an issue that most experience when first starting the program

It's a combination of a variety of things:

1. Weak abs....surprise

2. Weak neck with tight contracted muscles down neck and across shoulders

3. Contracted back muscles preventing a good 'round up and in' position ideal for working the abs deeply.

Persistence and taking breathers during the 100 count is recommended. When taking a breather I always encourage my students to avoid coming back down to the floor unless it's really necessary but instead stay rounded up and hold on the inside of thighs/back of legs etc and stretch the elbows out and up towards ceiling as per the initial set up instructions.

Hold this stretch and breathe deeply focusing on stretching the back, shoulders and neck areas. Then release the arms one at a time and continue pulsing adding one or two more pulses then you think you can do and then take another breather repeating the stretch and hold position.

Other things you can try are:

1. Place a firm pillow/medicine ball or other support beneath your upper back to help keep you rounded in. Avoid collapsing back on to support though, you want your abs to keep you rounded in.

2. Have one or both hands resting behind your head and allow your head to sink heavily in to your hands to support head. Avoid pulling elbows forwards as this puts strain on your neck and all you will be doing in yanking your head forward. So, try to keep elbows out to side.

3. Lightly hold on to the back of your legs with one or even both hands as you pulse. Avoid pulling on the legs though as this will create tension in your neck. It's just a gentle hold...the abs should still be working.

The ab exercises also stretch, lengthen and strengthen the neck. The skin will tighten and you will be encouraging waste removal in the front of the neck as the back of the neck lengthens.

It will all come together as you continue to the program and this is why I like the full program and not just doing the exercises you like. Your back muscles needs to become soft and supple, your neck needs to lengthen and strengthen and your abs need to strengthen.

Hope that helps

PS don't miss out the neck stretches...do them slowly and every time. They are important

Last edited by Sandrahanna; 01-22-2013 at 01:58 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
Does anyone know whether the standing 'leg' exercises on the toning section of the Cardio dvd are actually working the smae muscles as the hip and behind in 10/10????
Yes, yes, yes....they are a fantastic group of exercises that work the entire leg.

Inner thigh, outer thigh (be gone saddlebags) back of leg and buttocks all are dealt with in these exercises. I LOVE them and they are fantastic to do if you are on a long distance flight. I go to the back of the plane and do them every couple of hours. My legs tingle after as the blood flows through my hips, knees, ankles and muscles and it feels awesome
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CosmicGirl
WOE: Vegetarian.
Start Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
Yes, yes, yes....they are a fantastic group of exercises that work the entire leg.

Inner thigh, outer thigh (be gone saddlebags) back of leg and buttocks all are dealt with in these exercises. I LOVE them and they are fantastic to do if you are on a long distance flight. I go to the back of the plane and do them every couple of hours. My legs tingle after as the blood flows through my hips, knees, ankles and muscles and it feels awesome
Aha! Thank you - I thought as much but I just wanted to double check...
CosmicGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #59
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I recently found out I have cervical kyphosis ( my neck bone curvature is straight instead of curved) I've always LOATHED with a vengance ANY exercise that involved holding the head up, that includes crunches, situp or anything of that nature. now I know why. I think I have a pinched nerve now( i'm having neck pains and chronic headaches) and x-rays show a bunch of kinks and squished places in my neck specifically and my back also. My BF was saying how Callan fixed herself doing routines. Do you think doing Callanetics will help this? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but it hurts so darn much to do the crunches , which is why I hated doing Callanetics to begin with. Any suggestions for someone who's neck is really wrong?

Does anyone think I should put off the Callanetics till I get more treatments for this?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 01-22-2013 at 12:16 PM..
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I recently found out I have cervical kyphosis ( my neck bone curvature is straight instead of curved) I've always LOATHED with a vengance ANY exercise that involved holding the head up, that includes crunches, situp or anything of that nature. now I know why. I think I have a pinched nerve now( i'm having neck pains and chronic headaches) and x-rays show a bunch of kinks and squished places in my neck specifically and my back also. My BF was saying how Callan fixed herself doing routines. Do you think doing Callanetics will help this? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but it hurts so darn much to do the crunches , which is why I hated doing Callanetics to begin with. Any suggestions for someone who's neck is really wrong?

Does anyone think I should put off the Callanetics till I get more treatments for this?

Most of us have some degree of kyphosis so please don't stress too much about this

When you do the ab workout does it leave you with a headache?

If you were my student I would have you spend time lying on a bolster (a sleeping bag in it's cover is good also). You would rest your head, neck and shoulders on the bolster and for a few minutes just lie and relax breathing deeply to allow the upper back muscles to lengthen and your ribcage to relax down. You'll also feel this across the chest and shoulders.

Then I would get you to stretch your arms out to the side in a 'T' with palms turned upwards to increase the stretch. Again, relaxing and breathing deeply and focusing on the muscles releasing.

You could add on to this sliding your arms along floor up to head and back down to shoulders. To further intensify you would keep your shoulders permanently eased down towards your hips and wide to the side so that your upper back is broad.

This is done before commencing the ab portion of the workout. You will notice that you will be able to round up more than normal (working your abs deeper as a result) but it will speed up the lengthening of the muscles in the upper back and neck to allow your spine to align correctly.

Unfortunately, X-rays only show bones and not muscles so, hopefully, by lengthening the muscles and bringing blood flow through them it will improve.

Please let me know if you try this and how it worked for you. It is important that you continue with your Callanetics workout along with any other treatment you may be having.