Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Exercise Board (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/)
-   -   The Bar Method classes vs. Fluidity Bar at home? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/791745-bar-method-classes-vs-fluidity-bar-home.html)

Beezer Louisiana 12-19-2012 07:46 PM

The Bar Method classes vs. Fluidity Bar at home?

Anybody done both?

I've been doing Bar Method classes for about 5 weeks and REALLY seen a difference in my body! It's the first workout class that I've seen actual results. It's really paying someone to torture me, oh - the burn! But I can't rationalize NOT going since I'm getting such good results! I'm wearing clothes that I shouldn't be able to wear at my weight! The 'skinny clothes' I'm wearing, I used to need to be 15 lbs. lighter than I am! It's strange, but my butt is higher! (Yay!)

So I bought a Fluidity Bar for myself for Christmas (hasn't arrived yet.)

I'm planning on working on my form at Bar Method classes but phasing in Fluidity at home to save money (eventually --- the Fluidity Bar was $400!) But Bar Method classes aren't cheap, either. So. In the long run I think I'll save.

Anyway -- it's just strange for ME to be ranting and raving about an exercise class! LOL!

I got The Bar Method DVD's already (haven't opened them) and I'm planning on using them with the Fluidity Bar at home, but will also try the Fluidity DVDs.

Any advice?

alliebridge 12-19-2012 10:27 PM

I use the Bar Method DVDs (have never been to their actual classes) and don't have a bar. I just use a chair and it does the trick. Love it!

Beezer Louisiana 12-20-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alliebridge (Post 16145083)
I use the Bar Method DVDs (have never been to their actual classes) and don't have a bar. I just use a chair and it does the trick. Love it!

I had never even heard of it until a neighbor told me about the new studio opening up 4 minutes from our house. I didn't know ANYTHING about it (probably why I went, otherwise wouldn't have had the guts! LOL!) and saw results so quickly and everyone was so nice.

Now I want to do it at home and save money, after these 'startup costs' of getting the videos and the bar. I really like the bar, like to be able to pull on it to get a good hamstring stretch. I hope I like that at-home bar as much as the one at the studio. It will be a big $400 flop if I don't!

I guess I've had my head in the sand, because I'd never heard of Barre or Bar Method or Lott or whatever. :stars:

I'm NOT an exercise person! (Which is so crazy that I'm doing this -- but the results are so great, I can't justify stopping.)

alliebridge 12-20-2012 10:15 AM

What's funny is--I bought the dvds back in 2003 (reading rave reviews) and then the images on the cover just looked odd to me-turned me off completely-why didn't they use Burr Leonard, the instructor--it would have been so motivating!). Too bad :( I didn't even pick them up again until last year in July which is when I became addicted! I think it's that they work you hard for a short time--then you get this big reward with the *stretch*. Our brains are designed to seek a reward and with most exercise-- it's just pain or boring. No reward in either.
Yes, it's popular now! I had no idea of the phenomena that is 'bar/barre' until a few months after I started it. I noticed ads for all these different kinds of bar classes--popping up seemingly everywhere, even in regular gyms! Funny!

MLE777 12-20-2012 12:15 PM

The great thing about doing barre work at home is that there are TONS of dvd options! I've been doing barre at home (with a chair) for about 8 years now. I mix it with traditional heavy weight work. The heavy weights do amazing things for my upper body and the barre does amazing things for my lower body. Here's a write-up that I did on barre dvds for a friend of mine that was thinking about getting one. I've excluded the links b/c I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them. PM me if you'd like links to clips of the workouts :)

Quote:

I adore my barre workouts, but they aren't for everyone. I'm a bit A.D.D. when it comes to exercise, so you'll see that I'll switch what I'm doing pretty frequently. Just like weights or cardio, there are different styles and different instructors, it's a matter of figuring out what clicks for you. I've found that barre workout works the lower body like nothing else. It is all body weight, but at times it will burn out my lower body better then squatting with a 100 pound barbell will. Think about how effective push-ups and planks (both body weight exercises) are for the upper body and core. Barre is sort of the equivalent for the lower body. Here are a couple of the different categories:

I like Ballet Body. They have more of a ballet type spin on them. (see collagevideo for clips) Her lower body workout is killer and her upper body workout has you in various forms of plank for like 30 minutes and does amazing things for upper body definition.

I like The Bar Method. It's more traditional barre work. I workout at 5am and Burr's voice is perfect for early in the morning. She does a lot of stretching which I also like (check out barmethod for clips)

Cathe Friedrich's Turbo Barre is good. It is more athletic and not as pilates-ish. She normally makes heavy weight and bootcamp type workouts. (see collagevideo for clips)

Booty Barre (collagevideo) or P57 (physique57) are both pretty good if you want something more funky with upbeat music.
I have more that I can tell you about, but I'll stop there before you think I'm crazy ;)

Beezer Louisiana 12-20-2012 12:20 PM

Thanks! I have some of those (haven't opened them yet -- waiting on the Fluidity Bar to deliver). I'm going to Bar Method classes until it arrives.

I'm really hoping that I will have built enough strength and endurance to hold the poses as long as I need to (and not wimp out because nobody is watching me at home.) :o I've been doing well at the classes though.

alliebridge 12-20-2012 01:55 PM

I like the Bar Method (the ones from 2003; haven't tried the newer ones) because she is mellow, yes. I've tried the ones with the faster pace and loud music and their just not my cup of tea. I also like the Exhale: Core Fusion DVDs for the same reason--you get a great workout but the pace/voice/music is more mellow.

MellaBella 01-01-2013 09:28 PM

Beezer - how many times a week are you doing this workout?

Beezer Louisiana 01-02-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellaBella (Post 16165112)
Beezer - how many times a week are you doing this workout?

Just ONCE a week and seeing amazing results!

When I get my Fluidity Bar (finally delivering Jan. 7th!), I plan to do them more often. The Bar Method classes are expensive.

I can definitely tell a difference and my husband can, too! :)

MellaBella 01-03-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana (Post 16166668)
Just ONCE a week and seeing amazing results!

When I get my Fluidity Bar (finally delivering Jan. 7th!), I plan to do them more often. The Bar Method classes are expensive.

I can definitely tell a difference and my husband can, too! :)

Wow, that is amazing. Your post inspired me to look for classes in my area. I found one about 40 minutes away & am thinking of going, especially if you are seeing results with once a week!

Beezer Louisiana 01-03-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellaBella (Post 16168472)
Wow, that is amazing. Your post inspired me to look for classes in my area. I found one about 40 minutes away & am thinking of going, especially if you are seeing results with once a week!

Yay! You can go to some classes to make sure you are doing the moves right, then switch to Bar Method DVDs when you've built up your endurance and know you are doing the positions correctly. I really like having the bar and can't wait for my Fluidity Bar to arrive next Monday. Right now I hold onto my desk and I don't like it at all.

The thigh part of the hour-long workout is about 5 mins. long and the hardest part of the hour -- stick with it. Stay on your toes (it was about my 4th class when I was able to not get down on my heels early) and you will get quicker results. Now I stick it out, feel the burn and the shake, and I'm proud of myself when I make it all the way through without giving up. I can REALLY see a difference in my legs! (My husband was amazed, too!)

Let me know how it turns out! (the first time, driving home was HARD - my legs were so tired and shakey! And I only live 4 mins from my Bar Method class and I'm SO glad!)

Have some bottled water in your car for afterwards.

JMacB 01-10-2013 04:41 PM

I'm excited - m barre DVDs will arrive tomorrow. I love those isometrics.

jeaniem 01-10-2013 04:45 PM

I have been doing a barre 3 dvd, and have sore muscles that I didn't even know existed! I thought my walking and other resistance leg work was working all the leg muscles,WRONG!! I have only been doing it for about a week, so no visual changes yet,will have to clean up the diet for that to happen as well.:o

Beezer Louisiana 01-10-2013 04:51 PM

I got my Fluidity Bar and it helps me do my Bar Method DVDs, but a chair would probably be just a fine. (It's all psychological for me. LOL!)

I tried on some 'skinny dress pants' and had to put 3 pairs in the 'too big' pile! :jumpjoy:

My dh keeps commenting on how good I'm looking! My mid-section and thighs are really showing big changes! I've gotten addicted to the thigh exercises -- they burn but I KNOW they'll make big changes in my body. I just started doing pretzel and it really pinches those side butt muscles. Ouch! I guess that muscle really needed toning in me. I never knew it was there! :dunno:

My only problem is intense headaches at the beginning of a workout. Last time I stopped, drank a big glass of water and took a potassium pill and was able to continue. This time, 'WHAM!' right in the first few minutes, when I started to heat up and I bent forward to do some triceps. It was like someone hit me in the forehead, so sudden and sharp. I had to stop, make a hot compress and lay down.

Now I'm bummed because I didn't make it to the thigh part.

I think I'm just not hydrated enough?:dunno:

I'm not really drinking my water, at all. 2 cups of coffee and that's it for the day. I guess I deserved the headache. :)

I'll do better next time.

p.s. If you're considering a Fluidity bar to add to your Barre or Bar Method DVDs, look on Craigslist. You can probably get one for a steal there. I paid $400. You can do better than that. (There just weren't any for sale in my area, unless I wanted to drive 2 hours, and I didn't.)

whippetlady 01-21-2013 11:55 AM

So Beezer, how is the quality of the barre? I have seen them on infomercials and am wondering if they are as nice as they seem or are junk. Also, is it easy to set up and move back out of the way?? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have about 20 lbs of fluffy I need to get rid of

Kiley2801 01-23-2013 08:44 AM

Aww I wish I could answer your question (would LOVE to take BM classes) but just wanted to send you kudos on your fab results!!! My girlfriend was taking the BM classes in the morning and also seeing great results.

I have the BM DVDs and enjoyed them, but never did them consistently enough to see any real results (and I never had an actual bar--just used a kitchen chair). Same goes for Callenetics and Squeeze (both Barre "type" workouts).

I've heard awesome things about Phsique57 workouts too!

tytbody 01-23-2013 06:04 PM

I am new and just want to say hi to everyone. I have been doing barre type vidoes since last year, December. I'm happy to report I've stuck with it and have more dvds on order;)

I had a fluidity bar back when it first came out. I got rid of it because it took up too much room in my bedroom. Didn't think oh I can use this some place else but when I get low on funds I start moving things to different places.

Now, My husband bought me the Vita Vibe barre and I love it. I still will miss my fluidity. It is the sturdiest piece of exercise equipment I've ever had, next to a treadmill. In terms of infomercial things, it's awesome.
Hi everyone.

Seelessofme 01-24-2013 06:29 AM

Chiming in here. I am midway through my training to be a Bar Method instructor and can't say enough good about it!! So excited to see this thread here.

I am no expert, but might be able to answer some BM questions if you have any.

Mrs S 01-24-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytbody (Post 16215322)
I still will miss my fluidity. It is the sturdiest piece of exercise equipment I've ever had, next to a treadmill. In terms of infomercial things, it's awesome.

I totally agree. I love my fluidity bar. It's really well made and can be used with other programs. I used to use a chair and I prefer the bar/barre. Plus I got mine for $50 off Craigslist!

tytbody 01-24-2013 01:46 PM

Hi Seelessofme. Love the name. I would love all information Barre/bar or what other name we want to call it.

I have the Awake!Aware!Alive book by Lydia Back and so far so good. Love looking at how it originated. I also have a DVD on Order from UK called *you Can Do it*. Love to learn how to do it properly at home. I know a studio is best but i think we can still get some good results from home videos.

Tell me. What is the most difficult to learn exercise in Bar Method?

For me, it's the Pretzel. i just have a time getting that knee up off the floor. From what I've seen in the original Callanetics, she is holding on to the bar for support while seated. Does that help you left that leg or does it come with peristant practice? That pretzel would also be good to do on the Fluidity but i think the legs on that piece of equipment come out too far?

Does anyone that has a fluidity find the legs in the way when doing Pretzel?

Also, shaking is good but is there a point when you don't shake or if you don't shake are you still working your muscles?

Mrs. S. what a find. I've seen some as low as $100. If a saw one for $50, I'd be tempted. Only so i can do those exercises where the back is up against the wall and people pull their legs up. What muscles does that work? Can't we do that type of exercise without having to be up against a wall?

Mrs S 01-24-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytbody (Post 16217094)

Mrs. S. what a find. I've seen some as low as $100. If a saw one for $50, I'd be tempted. Only so i can do those exercises where the back is up against the wall and people pull their legs up. What muscles does that work? Can't we do that type of exercise without having to be up against a wall?

Ah, flat back. That exercise is my nemesis. I can't get my legs off the floor to save my life. I don't know how it would work without a bar. You sit straight against the back 'wall' of the barre while using the barre itself for resistance via pushing or pulling with your hands.

Beezer Louisiana 01-26-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whippetlady (Post 16210190)
So Beezer, how is the quality of the barre? I have seen them on infomercials and am wondering if they are as nice as they seem or are junk. Also, is it easy to set up and move back out of the way?? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have about 20 lbs of fluffy I need to get rid of

I like the quality of the Fluidity Bar. There's this one move (where I'm pressing forward and a little UP on the bar) where it tips forward (away from me, toward the wall) and I wish it didn't do that. I've read about some people putting sand bags or weights on the legs to keep it down. I'm just careful with that one lunge/stretch move and I try not to push UP on the bar (while standing --- it doesn't happen while sitting doing flat back.)

I haven't taken it down since we put it up, but it would fit under a bed if you needed to store it. I don't think it would be a big deal to take it down and put it back up often if you wanted it out of the way. It's a little bit heavy. I wouldn't want to drop it on my toe. I'd guess it's around 15 lbs? Not sure. They might say how much it weighs on their website?

I really like having it. I like leaving it up as a visual reminder to do my workouts. The only thing better would be to have an actual barre attached to my bedroom wall, but that's kind of permanent and I don't think most people are ready for that kind of decor change.

I'd really like a wall mirror though. I think it would help me maintain my form better, if I could see myself and that my shoulder should be more squared.

HEADACHE UPDATE: I guess I was clenching my neck/shoulder muscles because I was giving myself headaches. I try to keep my neck soft while doing the workout and have to wiggle it from side to side, to remind myself not to tense up or I'll get a killer tension-like headache.

JEANS UPDATE! I bought three pairs of SKINNY JEANS! :jumpjoy: They actually look very nice on me and I attribute it to Bar Method. :D (And living LC, of course!) :clap:

Beezer Louisiana 01-26-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytbody (Post 16217094)
Hi Seelessofme. Love the name. I would love all information Barre/bar or what other name we want to call it.

I have the Awake!Aware!Alive book by Lydia Back and so far so good. Love looking at how it originated. I also have a DVD on Order from UK called *you Can Do it*. Love to learn how to do it properly at home. I know a studio is best but i think we can still get some good results from home videos.

Tell me. What is the most difficult to learn exercise in Bar Method?

For me, it's the Pretzel. i just have a time getting that knee up off the floor. From what I've seen in the original Callanetics, she is holding on to the bar for support while seated. Does that help you left that leg or does it come with peristant practice? That pretzel would also be good to do on the Fluidity but i think the legs on that piece of equipment come out too far?

Does anyone that has a fluidity find the legs in the way when doing Pretzel?

Also, shaking is good but is there a point when you don't shake or if you don't shake are you still working your muscles?

I don't use the bar when doing Pretzel. I do use the mat that's attached to the Fluidity bar. I haven't noticed the legs getting in the way, I think I'm angling myself so they don't? I don't hold onto the bar, my hands are supporting me on the floor. (Maybe you're seeing a different Pretzel that I'm doing? In class we don't use the bar and on my DVD we don't use a bar.)

Pretzel is tough, but after you get that muscle a little stronger it's not 'as' bad (but I think it will always burn! LOL!) I lean my upper body over to the opposite side, using my hands on the floor to support myself. Try leaning over MORE and you might get your knee up. As you get better at it, you can be a little more upright, but I don't think you need the bar to do it.

ETA: Oh -- maybe Callanetics does Pretzel differently?

tytbody 01-26-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

ETA: Oh -- maybe Callanetics does Pretzel differently?
yes she does. I know Burr Does not use the bar for pretzel. i have to realize I'm also a bigger woman then the pretzels they use in these videos. So i need more space:)

there is a big difference in a 160 and 113 to be holding upright. :) But ya, I also think If I lean more I will still get the tiny muscle I am suppose to be hitting.

whippetlady 01-30-2013 08:58 AM

Well I am sure happy to hear Fluidity barre is sturdy. I have space in my spare room for it and am really thinking about it. Unless I find a class here , that would be fun and very motivating!
SeeLess, happy to know you are getting certified for this, it's always wonderful to have an expert to go to for Q&A~~!

tytbody 01-30-2013 11:13 AM

I wish she'd come back. seelessofme.

Just Beachy 02-02-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seelessofme (Post 16216021)
Chiming in here. I am midway through my training to be a Bar Method instructor and can't say enough good about it!! So excited to see this thread here.

I am no expert, but might be able to answer some BM questions if you have any.

I've been using the Bar Method DVDs and really enjoy them. There are no barre type classes in my area at all, so I'm thinking it would be a great business venture for me once I get to my goal weight.

Seelessofme, are you also a studio owner or planning to become one? How long is the training process? I have heard that The Bar Method has one of the best/most involved training processes, and would love to hear more about it.

:) Beachy