LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngeloftheHeart
Stats: 200/175/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-start 1-07-14- with a few cheats
Yoga??

I did Yoga a few years ago in college and i'm thinking about buying a yoga dvd and giving it another shot. I want lean toned muscle.
Anybody here do yoga? How often and what are your thoughts on it?
AngeloftheHeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ab1ht
Stats: 160+/143/sub-140 (stretch goal)
WOE: Eating what Mother Nature provides
Start Date: December 2007
I've tried Yoga. It was OK, but not my thing. The only thing I find interesting about Yoga is the philosophical side. You can keep the asanas! Booooring!

I'm guessing you're female? If this is the case, more than likely you'll only get lean strong muscles regardless of the resistance training you do.

If yoga is your thing, then go for it. I would recommend checking out your local library and trying a few DVDs before buying your own.
ab1ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Yoga is awesome if one does it regularly. When I was younger, I did Richard Hittleman's 28 Day Yoga exercise plan and had a figure to die for. At the end of his lessons teaching one to do the postures correct (takes 28 days, but did them faster), one only has to spend 20 minutes a day alternating three routines. I always did two routines a day though so curves advanced rather fast.

I also like Ali Macgraw's Yoga Mind and Body DVD.

I don't do yoga as regular as I used to as I'm into weights also. I'm older (70)and need both.

Both the book and the DVD aren't those advanced postures one can read about. They're for normal people.

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Invictus
Stats: 281/267/199 5'11"
Start Date: 12/28/2012
Hi everyone,

This is one of my goals - to try Yoga and maybe Pilates. I'm trying to get away from letting stress overwhelm my life. I WILL join a class. I love doing exercise videos at home and can normally get myself to do it ;-)

But the yoga is slower pace and I dont think I have the patience to do it myself at home. Plus a good instructor can give feedback on how to do it right or better. The classes around here run $30 month. Not too bad and the first class is free. Maybe get the DVD after knowing some basics and making sure its something you like.

I have a Roku that I use to stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc.... There is a bunch of fitness channels that you can stream for free. Also netflix has a few exercise videos.

;-)
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Invictus, I'd message you with this question, but don't know how to. Can't see any link to do so.

I didn't know what Roku was so I googled. Does one have to have cable to use Roku? I'd love to get rid of cable as most programs are trash and I'm paying for that trash.

Thanks for any input.

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Hi Sharon,

I know!!! I'm confused too about sending a private message. Weird.
yes the Roku does come with a cable. I went with the middle one, not the most expensive and I waited till they had a sale, like $10 off.

When I bought mine about 2 yrs ago it came with a reg tv cable but since our tv is hd my husband bought a jd cable and hooked that up to it. I think the base model didnt have it at that time.

I have canceled my cable long before that. I suscribe to Hulu for about 8 bucks a month. If you have a newer TV that has wifi you dont need to roku to stream amazon, netflix, hulu etc.... BUT the Roku itself has a ton of free channels from all over the world, Music channels, movie channels such as crackle, news, sports etc.... its sooo much. I really just use it for hulu to watch my seasons.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!!!

Julia
Old 01-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: omgtwins
Start Date: Dec 31, 2012 (cause it was Monday)doing this again
I have just started yoga. 5 sun salutations 1 and 5 sun salutations 2 every day - this is done in a 10 minute period and I find it has became easier - but I have someone who did this as a living and next weekend he is going to add to it ... but I have to admit I hate exercising.
BUT I'm not as out of breath I was, not as shaky and have more balance
omgtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

omgtwins: Great job on getting started!!!! Congrats

I still need to do so. I emailed the Instructor and thats about it. I'm intimidated. I feel like once I get there there will be a bunch of people size 0-4 and here I am - the whale in the room that lays on her back and can't get back up - lol
Just kidding, its not that bad but still intimidating.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over40
Stats: 200 to 170/165
Start Date: Every other day
Diamond Dallas Page has put together Yrg: Yoga For Regular Guys. I have done it on and off for almost a year. It' s not too bad, and Don't expect any spirituality.
Over40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pompom2
Stats: 5'2" 120
WOE: Lower Carb
I have recently started yoga. Its a class on Fridays after my Butts/Gutts class on Thursdays so I need the stretching. lol Its OK. a bit boring to me.
Pompom2 is offline   Reply With Quote