Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Exercise Board (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/)
-   -   Yoga?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/791387-yoga.html)

AngeloftheHeart 12-13-2012 05:38 PM

Yoga??

I did Yoga a few years ago in college and i'm thinking about buying a yoga dvd and giving it another shot. I want lean toned muscle.
Anybody here do yoga? How often and what are your thoughts on it?

ab1ht 12-27-2012 08:24 AM

I've tried Yoga. It was OK, but not my thing. The only thing I find interesting about Yoga is the philosophical side. You can keep the asanas! Booooring! :lol:

I'm guessing you're female? If this is the case, more than likely you'll only get lean strong muscles regardless of the resistance training you do.

If yoga is your thing, then go for it. I would recommend checking out your local library and trying a few DVDs before buying your own.

Sharss 12-28-2012 08:56 PM

Yoga is awesome if one does it regularly. When I was younger, I did Richard Hittleman's 28 Day Yoga exercise plan and had a figure to die for. :) At the end of his lessons teaching one to do the postures correct (takes 28 days, but did them faster), one only has to spend 20 minutes a day alternating three routines. I always did two routines a day though so curves advanced rather fast.

I also like Ali Macgraw's Yoga Mind and Body DVD.

I don't do yoga as regular as I used to as I'm into weights also. I'm older (70)and need both.

Both the book and the DVD aren't those advanced postures one can read about. They're for normal people.

Invictus 12-29-2012 08:29 AM

Hi everyone,

This is one of my goals - to try Yoga and maybe Pilates. I'm trying to get away from letting stress overwhelm my life. I WILL join a class. I love doing exercise videos at home and can normally get myself to do it ;-)

But the yoga is slower pace and I dont think I have the patience to do it myself at home. Plus a good instructor can give feedback on how to do it right or better. The classes around here run $30 month. Not too bad and the first class is free. Maybe get the DVD after knowing some basics and making sure its something you like.

I have a Roku that I use to stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc.... There is a bunch of fitness channels that you can stream for free. Also netflix has a few exercise videos.

;-)

Sharss 01-04-2013 07:28 PM

Invictus, I'd message you with this question, but don't know how to. Can't see any link to do so.

I didn't know what Roku was so I googled. Does one have to have cable to use Roku? I'd love to get rid of cable as most programs are trash and I'm paying for that trash.

Thanks for any input.

Sharon

Invictus 01-05-2013 04:55 PM

Hi Sharon,

I know!!! I'm confused too about sending a private message. Weird.
yes the Roku does come with a cable. I went with the middle one, not the most expensive and I waited till they had a sale, like $10 off.

When I bought mine about 2 yrs ago it came with a reg tv cable but since our tv is hd my husband bought a jd cable and hooked that up to it. I think the base model didnt have it at that time.

I have canceled my cable long before that. I suscribe to Hulu for about 8 bucks a month. If you have a newer TV that has wifi you dont need to roku to stream amazon, netflix, hulu etc.... BUT the Roku itself has a ton of free channels from all over the world, Music channels, movie channels such as crackle, news, sports etc.... its sooo much. I really just use it for hulu to watch my seasons.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!!!

Julia

omgtwins 01-05-2013 05:07 PM

I have just started yoga. 5 sun salutations 1 and 5 sun salutations 2 every day - this is done in a 10 minute period and I find it has became easier - but I have someone who did this as a living and next weekend he is going to add to it ... but I have to admit I hate exercising.
BUT I'm not as out of breath I was, not as shaky and have more balance

Invictus 01-05-2013 05:31 PM

omgtwins: Great job on getting started!!!! Congrats

I still need to do so. I emailed the Instructor and thats about it. I'm intimidated. I feel like once I get there there will be a bunch of people size 0-4 and here I am - the whale in the room that lays on her back and can't get back up - lol
Just kidding, its not that bad but still intimidating.

Over40 01-05-2013 10:02 PM

Diamond Dallas Page has put together Yrg: Yoga For Regular Guys. I have done it on and off for almost a year. It' s not too bad, and Don't expect any spirituality.

Pompom2 01-07-2013 09:19 AM

I have recently started yoga. Its a class on Fridays after my Butts/Gutts class on Thursdays so I need the stretching. lol Its OK. a bit boring to me.