Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #31
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
So how's everyone's feet doing?

I had my appt. today and will begin therapy for plantar fasciitis this week. I was given a boot to sleep in and instructions for now to stay off my feet as much as possible. I've been soaking them in cold water which has been helping....
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mick6
Good luck Linda!

I had a chiro appt on Tues and I mentioned it to her. She said to put 3 golf balls in a tube type sock and tie it off and roll your foot over it to breakdown scar tissue in the facia. I've got to have hubs tell me where his golf balls are!
Mick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #33
Bike Tart

I've used a tennis ball for rolling my foot....it helped some....I soaked both feet in cold water yesterday and that helped a lot!

I slept with the boot....foot feels better but I didn't sleep well. PT today to see what can be done...
Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Been having issues with this the past month. It is off and on but you ladies have been a great help for me to find some relief. I ice my foot, it is the left one at the moment so it does temporarily help. I use also inserts in my shoes and that does help but being part Indian I like to be barefoot alot with just socks on at home but of course use shoes when I am out an about. I think I will probably get some inserts for my slip ons and see if this helps.

Here's hoping we all have a foot pain free day!

MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nicnac
I got PF last year and was told by 2 doctors and a nurse practitioner to stay off my feet and rest up. I did this for four months until I finally got an appointment to see a podiatrist. The podiatrist told me that staying off your feet was the worst thing I could have done as it has tightened the PF thus making the pain worse. If I had continued walking the PF muscle would have been stretched and I wouldn't have been in as much pain. I now have some great shoe inserts but it was the exercises that fixed the problem.

Google: Stretching exercises for Plantar Fasciitis, heel pain & heel spurs

I have to do the towel foot stretch before I get out of bed in a morning so I can walk comfortably. I also recomend Croc shoes as they absorb a lot of pressure from your body whilst walking. I will have to do these exercises for the rest of my life as I have a heel spur (boney protusion) which irritates the PF. Hope this info helps others.
nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: springalong
Stats: 205/180/130
WOE: LFL
Stretching the calf muscles helps.

You can just go into a Kintec Store and they will evaluate your feet and make some orthotics specialized for your feet especially if it is really bad.

Some people have gone to the Running Room to have their feet evaluated.

They also suggest rolling your feet on and frozen water bottle.

It can harm the knees if your feet are out of alignment (overpronated).

These are some of the tips I have received as my feet really hurt and it affected my knees.

Keep well
springalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
I have to say that I got a lot of relief from Aleve and rolling a frozen water bottle under my feet. I also used those "dryer balls" with the plastic points that stick out - hope that description makes sense. They really helped the pain and tightness and I could roll them with my feet and get a really good massage.
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Well, I have been to Good Feet and had $$$ orthotics fitted, tried the sketchers with the rocker bottom, several types of insoles, rolling the frozen water bottle, the boot at night, injections, blah,blah,blah........

Foot still hurts ;/

Thanks everybody for all the help Y'all are great !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
Well, I have been to Good Feet and had $$$ orthotics fitted, tried the sketchers with the rocker bottom, several types of insoles, rolling the frozen water bottle, the boot at night, injections, blah,blah,blah........

Foot still hurts ;/

Thanks everybody for all the help Y'all are great !
Hope you find what helps soon

The dryer balls is an interesting idea.

Oh, someone said something about ultrasound at the physio thats interesting cause I went to physio one time for my knee and it released some of the inflammation. (I would have to continue going back for more treatments but well its expensive.)

You can buy some kind of wooden rolling device to roll on the bottom of your feet too. (Don't know where my mom picked it up - she had it for years) Its kind of a mini rolling pin with bumps on it.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #40
Bike Tart

Well, apparently my problem is not just plantar fasciitis although he thinks I do have that to a small degree right now. I also have inflammation in the 5th metatarsal area of my foot from compensating while I walk so that the pain in my other foot wasn't as bad. So now I'm having PT on both feet! He also said that we need to get both feet fixed and work on knees, quads and core to keep this from happening again.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

I got the "2 oz miracle inserts" - wore them for 12 hours at work.... man my foot was SORE......

Brother had this also and recommended some insoles at Academy - arch support - couldn't find them anywhere else, so when in a larger town got me some. Only wore about an hour but wasn't sore. We shall see... using the water bottle and boot last 2 days..

Gotta get rid of this evil monster ;////

Thanks you guys for letting me know I'm not the only one. I realllllly want to go walking with my Dog !! We love to go to the park !

Laura's Low Carb Life Continues......

ATTITUDE is the difference between an ordeal and an ADVENTURE !!

'If you're tired of starting over, then QUIT stopping !"
Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #42
Bike Tart

I decided today to try no inserts....talked with the therapist and she said it won't hurt to try. I had massage, ultrasound and ice on my foot today at therapy.

The reason I'm trying no inserts is because each kind I have is just a little different and yesterday I tried 2 different ones and they both hurt a lot....today so far it's not horrible....well, it's not as bad without them as it is with them...still very painful...
Old 05-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rl28
The thing that really worked for me are my Sketchers Shape-ups (I believe that any brand of shoe that's rounded in the middle will do) - I bought them just for my plantar fasciitis (had read on different forums that they were good for that) and within a few weeks of getting them, the pain went away totally and hasn't been back for almost two years! I happen to also love the way they feel (total comfort and a fantastic walking experience) and at this point am literally unable to wear any other shoe. Highly recommended.
rl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #44
Bike Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl28 View Post
The thing that really worked for me are my Sketchers Shape-ups (I believe that any brand of shoe that's rounded in the middle will do) - I bought them just for my plantar fasciitis (had read on different forums that they were good for that) and within a few weeks of getting them, the pain went away totally and hasn't been back for almost two years! I happen to also love the way they feel (total comfort and a fantastic walking experience) and at this point am literally unable to wear any other shoe. Highly recommended.
I'm glad they worked for you....those shoes aggravated my PF to the point that I could barely walk....I loved them but they didn't love me...
Old 06-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rl28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagiff View Post
I'm glad they worked for you....those shoes aggravated my PF to the point that I could barely walk....I loved them but they didn't love me...
So sorry to hear that. It took about 2 or 3 weeks till I began feeling an improvement - I think I did feel worse at the beginning (part of the problem was figuring out how to walk in those shoes and getting used to walking that way) - but once they started working, they were amazing. I've heard the same from lots of others, so I'm really sorry to hear that wasn't the case for you.
rl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Another type of shoe to try is Alegria. I have PF and my Alegrias are my only cure. I also pretend my big toe is a pencil and "write" the alphabet. Really stretches out the tendon.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Editing to add a product that someone sent me. I've ordered this tape..

Plantar Fasciitis | KT TAPE

Oops - thought I was editing but I guess I'm double-posting.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I had PF, but it's gone!

My wonderful orthopedic doc taught me 4 -5 years ago how to tape up a foot to relieve the pain and honestly, IT REALLY WORKS! I had it really bad in my right foot, but mine heeled up in about 3-4 months and has never returned.

Basically, you use 1¼ athletic adhesive tape from Walmart and wrap the foot to restrict arch movement. He told me it's what HIS podiatrist had HIM do for the same condition I suffered. He said "Trust me on this, the tape will relieve the pain until the inflammation is gone. Then wearing proper shoes will keep it from returning."

I don't think I can really describe the taping process very well, but found a site with videos that should help. Hope this informational link is OK here: Taping for Plantar Fasciitis . My doctor did the diagonal "X" pattern of taping on me and used one contiguous piece of tape. I got to where I could do it in the dark, practically. He said to wrap the foot with two "X's" for best results. He also instructed me to STOP going barefoot so much and to wear NOTHING but athletic tennis shoes with good arch support, morning until bedtime. The ones I bought had those air visible bubble cushions in the heels and a gel heel pad also from Walmart gave my heel added relief. The tape gave immediate relief each day and the shoes 24/7 were the only saving grace. I found slipping an ankle stocking over the tape kept it from getting so soiled and rubbed off by shoe friction. I removed the tape at night most nights so my skin could breathe a little bit. Then I retaped freshly the next day my morning shower and after thoroughly drying off my foot.

The sneakers looked awful with my nicer clothes, but the relief from the pain and the hobbling around was worth the style issues. In about 4 months I tested putting pressure on bare feet and the inflammation was truly gone and has never returned. I confess, I'm going barefoot again a lot with no ill effects, so the inflammation and condition really does go away if you treat it right.

FWIW, I heard on the news (either Fox or CNN) last week that Skechers Shape Ups and a few other shoes with similar rounded soles (can't remember the other brands they named as I only wear Reeboks, which were NOT mentioned in the news report) are causing some problems for some folks, headaches, gait and spine issues if I remember correctly. I just throw that out there for your information. If you Google "Skechers Shape-Ups in the News", you will find some articles on the recent story.

Last edited by buttoni; 06-13-2012 at 09:35 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Buttoni ! I will watch the video ( if my crazy computer will let me ) - I have the elastic bandage here and will try it. I wear my orthotics in my shoes all the time... hardly ever walk barefoot...
I did wear the sketchers shape ups when I first started having the problem and I think they made it worse ;/

Will definitely try this ! Thanks !

I have a good friend that moved to Temple a few years ago..... I live in south texas and good to see some Texans on here ))
Old 06-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #50
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I had PF for years and nothing seemed to help. I decided to take up running (I figured it was going to hurt no matter what, so I may as well do what I want). I went to a running store and got Asics Gel Kayanos and pink Super Feet inserts. It went away completely within a couple of months after suffering for years doing everything the MD & podiatrists said to do.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mick6
I just wanted to update since I have finally licked this problem after almost 2 years. I was ready to have to the PF release surgery done a while back and decided to try 1 last ditch effort since I was scared of the risks. I bought a pair of orthoheel sandals ( and wore them constantly)
followed by a pair of their tennis shoes and a pair of mary janes. They are well worth the price. I can now even walk to the potty barefoot at night if I need to and walk all day without agony. I can not express what a huge difference this made for me. Other things dulled it a bit but didnt cure it or take away the pain. The inserts from the superstore worked for a while but I had yo replace them almost weekly. Over 6 months of the custom made inserts was agonizing. I know we are all different but i wanted to throw the brand orthoheel shoes out there in case it could help someone. They do have a 30 day guarantee.

Last edited by Mick6; 06-25-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Mick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

I will check it out ! Thanks and glad you got better !
Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: karenrenee68
My doctor had me get the Futuro foot brace to wear while sleeping. That helped a lot. Never wear flat shoes!

Crocs work wonders for me, especially the flip flops. They're not so attractive but are so comfortable.
karenrenee68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenrenee68 View Post
My doctor had me get the Futuro foot brace to wear while sleeping. That helped a lot. Never wear flat shoes!

Crocs work wonders for me, especially the flip flops. They're not so attractive but are so comfortable.

Someone at work was telling me she bought a foot brace from Walmart and its helped tremendously. She wears it at night.