Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
≈≈≈Primal Blueprint Fitness Support≈≈≈

I went through the PB 21 Day Transformation in the first part of this year and discovered that the main failing I had was with exercise. This support thread is my attempt to motivate myself and other Primal/Paleo enthusiasts to just get moving no matter what our fitness level is, and to not get bogged down in the details or feel like failures for not completing everything and so forth. Like Mark says, life is fractal and unpredictable, and our goal is to remain flexible.

First, I recommend you go to Marks Daily Apple and download the e-book “Primal Blueprint Fitness”, which is free when you sign up for his email newsletter, and give it a once over. I recommend this because it explains the Primal Essential Movements in detail, and shows how to start out at your fitness level and progress to more and more challenging movements as you gain strength and fitness. It’s NOT necessary to do this to participate in the support thread though!

Primal Blueprint Fitness tenets: Training is to look good naked and to build strength and fitness in order to make play better and everyday activities easier. In other words, to make my life better and more enjoyable all the way around.
Primal Blueprint Fitness is made of three things: Moving frequently at a slow pace, lifting heavy things, and sprinting every once in a while.
The Primal Essential Movements: Pushups, Pullups, Squats, Overhead Presses, and Planks.

The Primal Blueprint Fitness ebook gives a great weekly sample training schedule on page 11. I’m using that as a starting point for my schedule. I’m really schedule oriented. However, I have to relieve myself of the pressure of adhering to my schedule all the time, and to add in bits and pieces at a time until I get where I need to be. It’s important to schedule your workouts around your life. Come up with your own schedule, or follow mine or someone else’s, it doesn’t matter. And remember, progress, not perfection.

SUN: Sprints
MON: Rest/Move Slowly/Play
TUE: Full PEM training
WED: Rest/Move Slowly/Play
THU: Rest/Move Slowly/Play
FRI: Full PEM training (eventually I’ll get to the WOWs, or Workouts of the Week)
SAT: Rest/Move Slowly/Play

I will also work in some daily routines. Right now, I am enjoying doing 50 squats in the morning while I brush my teeth, and 10 pushups at some other point in the day. I also need to walk/run the dogs every evening. As it warms up and school lets out, I will also be swimming nearly every day and I also want to work in Callanetics a few times a week (which qualifies as both moving slowly and playing).

The point of “move slowly” and “play” is to do something active that you enjoy, so pretty much anything that gets your body moving that you like, qualifies. Examples: walking, hiking, swimming, golfing, skating, gardening, biking, yoga or Callanetics, tennis, etc. Anything that is low-level aerobic activity with the goal of staying between 55-75% heart rate, 3-5 days a week.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

STEP 1: SELF-ASSESSMENT

The book discusses how to assess your Primal fitness level. Here’s me (and I thought I was strong, sheesh!)

PUSHUP level 2 - knee pushup (currently at 10 reps. When I can do 30 I should be able to level-up)
PULLUP level 2 - chair assisted pull-up w/one leg (I need to get a pull-up bar, until then I can only do at the park on Sundays)
SQUAT level 4 - full-squat (currently 50 reps. Will be moving on to level 5 side-to-side squats soon)
OVERHEAD PRESS level 1 - elevated jack-knife press (I can do the 20 reps but need some more practice before I can level-up)
PLANK level 1 - hand-knee plank (currently I can only hold this for about a minute and need to work up to 90 seconds)
Old 04-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

STEP 2: START SOMEWHERE!

Sunday is Sprint Day. I will be taking the kids to the park soon so I can do a basic sprint routine:
warm-up: 6x50 meters at moderate effort; 20 second rest interval
full effort: 6x50 meters; 60 second rest interval
Old 04-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Ok, just to re-cap today (Sunday). I did my 50 squats and 10 pushups this morning. I did my modified overhead presses this afternoon (20). I did sprints and stretches at the park later in the afternoon, it took about 15 minutes. While there I tested my pull up ability. It wasn't optimal due to the configuration of playground equipment. I can get my head up to the bar with the aid of one leg. I did it about 3 times before I felt like a fool. lol
And then I walked the dogs through the neighborhood for about 25 minutes after dinner.
Tomorrow I will probably rest, except for the 50 squats, 10 pushups and waking the dogs after dinner.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Wtg! Kutgw!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks! Join me! Jump in whenever you want.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, today just didn't go as planned. It started out with me getting up late for work, and I only had the motivation to do 30 squats. My legs were pretty sore from the sprints yesterday, as I haven't gone for a run in months, and 30 squats was really all I had in me. Then it was just a non-stop day between work and home responsibilities, I seriously didn't get a moment to myself until just now, and it's almost 9:30pm. Even though it only takes a minute or two to do my 10 pushups, I just didn't have the presence of mind to do them. And by the time dinner was over, I just had so much to do and it was nearly dark, so the dogs didn't get walked, either. Oh well, tomorrow is another day, and I plan on doing the full PEM training workout after work.

If anyone is out there reading, please, why don't you join me? You don't have to be perfect. Start with something simple and doable for you. Just start somewhere!
I'm lonely
Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Ok, I will join you. I have thedownloadable book. I just bought the 21 day makeover, and plan on reading it soon...
I have started biking to work since the weather is getting nice.. I'm not 100 on board yet, but this seems to be a good place to start!
I am going to join you with the squats and wall pushups (I can't do regular yet) I will push for 10 every time I goto the bathroom. And hopefully that will add to 50... Oh well I better get going,I have to be at work at 7:30 am!
Fit into my Guess Black Skinny Jeans
"i may pause, but I don't stop"
Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Yay!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey, Kerry, I was at work on my iphone earlier, and "hey" was all I could say earlier. Biking to work is excellent! I should walk to pick up the kids whenever I can.

So, short 20 minute walk with the dogs after work. Then 50 squats, 10 pushups, 20 jack knife presses, and one minute hand/knee plank. Supposed to do 2 cycles, but that was all I had to give tonight!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #11
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Ok yesterday I got in my bike ride to and from work, and 30 squats and 30 wall pushups. Today I won't be biking to work so I'll have to do something else for exercise.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KyliesMom
Stats: 180/180/135
WOE: Atkins with eventual trans to Paleo
Start Date: 6/30/14
Oppps Sorry I have been MIA... Been busy 2 days with the Gymnast.. we have a meet this weekend and state next

Here's what I have been doing:

Plank.... dang can only hold for 30 seconds want to work up to 1 minute by the end of next week... ( fyi I didn't know I had muscles where I am sore today )

Gymnast Lunges ( these are walking lunges and it sounds really easy - but they work the heck out of your but - I am doing these by minutes rather than the #) 3 minutes

Squats - Today I did 40

Curls with a brick 2 sets of 10

and over head curls 2 sets of 10

Geeze I'm a wimp arent I but I am trying!

I am not at all like Speck... but she's my Hero and I am getting there

Kerry!

Oh I also put the MyFitnessBudy on my new Iphone... LOVE LOVE LOVE it and It's gonna help me to keep everything in check also...
Old 04-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

That's what I'm talking about! Rock it ladies!

Kim, you are too kind. I've just finally found some motivation to get started. I'm having such a terrible time losing weight. I got angry and decided, fine. if I'm going to be fat, I'm going to be fit under the blubber.

Today is a rest/play/move slowly day. I did my daily 50 squats and 10 pushups, and will be walking the dogs later after dinner. And just generally active all day.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbWannabe
Stats: 177.4/174.4/116 (5'1")
WOE: JUDDD
Hi, I would like to join this group. I just started Primal about 1 week ago, so right now I'm focused on meal planning and cooking. I plan on slowly adding in the exercise. Here's what I've been doing:

I walked in my neighborhood 2 times today
LowCarbWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome LCW! Just getting moving is half the battle. When you think of it start doing squats here and there if you are able. They really work!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, yah, Kim, those planks are insane. Mark says people say to him, "don't we need to do abdominal exercises" and his answer is "planks". lol

So, I did another 10 pushups this evening. I got all PO'd about something and too my anger out on my arms It helped! Then took the dogs out for a brisk 20 minute mile. Tomorrow, another PEM day!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
My workout schedule is sort of like the Primal Blueprint Schedule....

I do kettlebell class twice a week...that equals lift heavy things and sprinting....we also do TRX straps occasionally...that's more heavy lifting!

Right now I don't do much else due to a stress fracture in my foot and an inflamed Achilles tendon. Once I have the ok I will be walking or biking the other days. I do get walking at the grocery store and I'm a little active with chores, etc. but it's well balanced with rest!
mamagiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Welcome LowCarbWannabe and mamagiff

OK Peeps - my legs and my Butt - Yes my BUTT are so sore today I had a hard time putting on my pants for work... but as DD says - I worked through the pain and here's what today's workout looks like

40 wall pushups ( while in the shower but hey what ever works right!)

I did plank today for 45 seconds and then a second 45 seconds... I'm getting there.

Today was a stretch those muscles day so I also sat in a v and stretched for a good 5 minutes

Did those Gymnastic Lunges around the couch again this morning - OUCH! I know that is why my butt is hurting - lol

I may do my brick lifts today - but I am not sure...

I have 1 complaint - even with this working out my weight isn't budging (but at least it's not going up) anyone have any insight? I'm gonna head back and post my meals... maybe I need to do intermit fasting again?

Chase those Dino's peeps!
KyliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Mamagiff, we're happy to have the company!

Kim I sooo know what you mean about darned near handicapping yourself with post-workout soreness! And you know what? I think your shower-wall-pushups are ingenious! Notice how I do my 50 squats while brushing my teeth? aww yah, we are efficient!
I can't budge my weight either, even with JUDDD! I mean, I'm averaging 1100 calories a day and it.won't.budge. I'm just hoping that if I up my muscle mass, it might move things in the right direction (down). I always, always, always notice gain/no loss when I'm adjusting to a new workout schedule due to water retention in sore muscles.
---
So far today, I did my 50 squats and 10 pushups and mile walk with the dog. Supposed to do the rest of my PEM workout, hope to fit that in in the next hour or so here.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey party people, how's it going today?

Last night, I did the rest of my PEMs -- 20 jack knife presses and I managed 60 seconds of *real* planking! I counted fast though. tee hee.

Today, 50 squats, 10 incline pushups (not quite ready for them, but if I get on the floor the dogs are all over me) and supposed to walk the dogs after dinner. It's fraking hot here! I think tomorrow will be our first pool day!!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Today is Saturday and I get to play!! It is hot enough to go to the pool. Hopefully the water won't be too cold. If it is, I guess I will just be sunbathing
Did 50 squats this morning and 10 pushups!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #22
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

ok fell off a bit.. yesterday we walked all over NYC we were out walking, resting etc for about 12hrs. I clocked in a bit over 42,000 steps on the pedometer. We took the subway to the Bronx (right by yankee stadium) walked over a bridge into manhattan (after walking around the old stadium). Got into manhattan around 165th st, walked all of the city from there to lower manhattan, walked over the manhattan bridge into brooklyn (where we live) and walked another mile or so to the train to take home. I figure it was about 22 miles or so.. it was a good time, I can't wait to take another walk like that..
Old 04-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #23
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

oh and I wanted to add that this isn't fast walking, we are pushing a stroller and walking with a 5yr old so we take our time..
Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow! That's a lot of walking! Holy cow. Sounds like you had a good time!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #25
Bike Tart

Had my kettlebell class tonight....we did some kettlebell work, TRX strap exercises plus a little walking in place on a Power Plate machine (it vibrates while on it)...very interesting! I came home feeling like a noodle again!

Over the weekend I didn't do much....went out to see a band and did a little dancing in place at the table (we had a bar height table in the back corner of the room so I stood and "danced" in place)....can't do much real dancing till my foot heals!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I'm here... I'm here! Crazy weekend with Gymnastics meet... LOL and I have another this weekend from Friday to Monday

DD placed 10th out of 14th... she took a bad fall but she gets right back up! She's my hero - lol

Here's what I have been working on....Oh and my squat challenge - well - no way I am gonna make it!

Pushups 40 ( in the shower)
Crunchs 10
Lifting my brick 20 above head 20 curls

I am also trying to be more of a gatherer than a hunter right now as the though of meat is kind of grossing me out since I saw a dog get hit by a car right in front of us last Thursday....
Old 04-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #27
Bike Tart

Congrats to your DD, Kim....sorry you had to see the dog get hit...that's rough..

No workout today....I usually take a Tuesday rest day because my class is on Monday and Wednesday.

Due to all my knee issues and, for now, foot issues I'm really limited on the things I can do....I need to get back to the pushups...I do them at the kitchen counter since I can't get on the floor. I've learned to modify a lot of exercises to work around my limitations. My therapist said she'll have me back to somewhat normal by the time we're finished. I'll never be able to do floor work but that's ok....I can do most everything standing or sitting on a ball!

We gladly feast on those who would subdue us! - Addams Family Creed

My Facebook
Old 04-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone! I've had a rough few days myself. Keeping up with my squat challenge for the most part, but that's it. I haven't even been walking the poor dogs. Life just gets in the way sometimes.
I'm supposed to do a full PEM workout today. Just now I did another 40 squats, held a regular plank for 20 seconds, then on each side (one armed) for 15 seconds each side, then 12 knee-pushups, and 30 overhead presses using 5 pound dumb bells. I'm giving up on the ones described in my copy of PB Fitness - apparently they have been taken out of the new copy of the book. Maybe people were getting hurt? I don't know.

Kim, that's great about your daughter! Not great about the dog
Linda, I really admire your working within your limits and abilities! I think you're doing awesome!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

My arms are actually a wee bit sore from yesterday's dumb bells. It's supposed to be rest/move slowly/play day for me. I did just 20 squats this morning as that's all I had in me to do. I will be doing my daily pushups soon. I've gotten myself up to 12 now! (on knees of course). And then I'll walk the dogs for a mile after dinner.

Anyone else moving their bodies today, a little or a lot?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Just worked arms today.... lateral raises, curls etc...... no soreness yet... tomorrow is gymnastic lunges... oh no