Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: daisymae
Callanetics o.k. for bad knees ???

Hi ! I have a question about doing Callanetics. I'm really hoping to start a serious program of doing Callanetics ... I have several of the "old, original" tapes (10 in 10; Callanetics for Beginners, etc.) and the new DVDs (The Callanetic Evolution; CardioCallanetics).

Question: I am 63yrs old, and just recently have had pain in my knee. I didn't do anything to the knee (no accident, no twisting, etc.) so, I think I probably am developing osteoarthritis in my knee.

I'm anxious to STOP my body from deteriorating !!! .... and I feel that Callanetics could be the perfect answer to "keeping my body *young*).

SO ... can I successfully do Callanetics while "nursing" my hurting knee???

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated !

Amy
daisymae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: CherryBlast
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
Hi ! I have a question about doing Callanetics. I'm really hoping to start a serious program of doing Callanetics ... I have several of the "old, original" tapes (10 in 10; Callanetics for Beginners, etc.) and the new DVDs (The Callanetic Evolution; CardioCallanetics).

Question: I am 63yrs old, and just recently have had pain in my knee. I didn't do anything to the knee (no accident, no twisting, etc.) so, I think I probably am developing osteoarthritis in my knee.

I'm anxious to STOP my body from deteriorating !!! .... and I feel that Callanetics could be the perfect answer to "keeping my body *young*).

SO ... can I successfully do Callanetics while "nursing" my hurting knee???

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated !

Amy

Hi Amy,

Try starting out with Beginning Callanetics. Question about your knee, is it swollen, hot to touch and painful walking/going up down stairs?
The reason I'm asking my Mother has knee problems and it was the Meniscus was torn.
CherryBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: planetbenjamin
I suffered from various knee injuries as a child. The only time I don't have pain is when I do Callanetics regularly. For me, Callanetics is the miracle cure for my knees. Callan Pinckney (creator of Callanetics) developed the exercises to protect and strengthen her own knees after they were damaged during her 11 year trek around the world.

I agree with CherryBlast. The "Beginning Callanetics" DVD is a great place to start. One of the women in the DVD has sensitive knees and you will be able to see alternative ways to do the exercises if they bother your knees.

Join the main Callanetics chat and let us know how you get on.
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
On Beginning Callanetics they show how to do modifications for bad knees and I use the mods or even create my own. My knees are slowly getting better. I can actually run up my front steps now where before I could at times barely walk up them, occasionally had to go one step at a time with one foot at a time.
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: daisymae
Thanks for the replies. I *think* my knee problem might be the iliotibial band ... because I have pain on the outside of my knee.

By the way, I was NOT doing anything when my knee started hurting ! I had not had any trouble with it at all. I was sitting in a chair working on my computer (not twisting my knee or anything). I got up out of the chair ...and "oh, my knee hurts" ... that's it !

Since I did not DO anything to cause the "hurt," I'm thinking that maybe Oeteoarthritis has just "kicked in."

Anyway.... I am NOT HAPPY with a bum knee

I'm very encouraged by your replies ... and will start with the "beginning" Callanetics .... usually, I am the sort of person who "dives right in" and starts with the HARDEST workout ... and then I stop.

I'm hoping that Callanetics will keep me "limber and moving" forever ...

I'll let you know how it goes ..

Again, THANKS for the help !

Amy
daisymae is offline   Reply With Quote