Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sandrahanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
COMPLETELY CONFUSED!!!
Outwards? Doesn't Callan say to turn leg inwards?? Where exactly should I be 'feeling' this?
Thanks!

I know that it can be confusing for those not familiar with Evolution. However, Callan would instruct roll the hip forward for the hip and behind. This does isolate the outer thigh. However, an intensification for this exercise would be to slightly turn your knee out and up...without moving your pelvis. This creates an outward rotation of the leg to feel the muscles working deeper through the outer thigh and leg muscles.

When you engage the pelvic floor it does the exact same thing...the knee slightly turns out and up. The leg (not the hip) will turn outwards from the hip socket. It's a case of achieving the same result but doing it differently ie from the knee or from the pelvic floor. I always encourage my students to think of doing things differently while they work out. This brings more awareness in to the exercise and keeps the student focused.

Hope this makes sense LEt me know
Sandrahanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower85
Callanetics while pregnant

Hey everyone! I joined awhile back and forgot I had until now...lol.
Well I have been doing Callanetics off and on for about 9 years. I am now pregnant with my second baby, 10 weeks, and I want to start back up with my workouts here in a few weeks when I start to feel a little better. Has anyone ever done Callanetics through their pregnancy? and if so how did it work for you? I am looking to tighten up, not really worried about weight loss at this point. Please let me know. Thanks!
wildflower85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower85 View Post
Well I have been doing Callanetics off and on for about 9 years. I am now pregnant with my second baby, 10 weeks, and I want to start back up with my workouts here in a few weeks when I start to feel a little better. Has anyone ever done Callanetics through their pregnancy? and if so how did it work for you? I am looking to tighten up, not really worried about weight loss at this point. Please let me know. Thanks!

Congratulations Yes you can continue doing Callanetics but there are some guidelines and changes you need to make along the way.

For now avoid the ab workout. This is a precaution only. You can do everything else. You may notice that your flexibility increases and this is due to hormones which will make your ligaments more elastic. So, don't take advantage of this. Stretch only to 80% of your full range. o

As your belly grows have your legs in a wider stance for balance. Avoid kneeling pelvic rotations but these can be done standing. I can help you with this along the way. If you have a fit ball you can do waist stretch sitting on the ball with your feet in a wide stance. You can also do the arm workout sitting on the ball. I'm not sure if you have CallaneticsEvolution to help with CallaneticConcepts and more awareness of your pelvic floor muscles but you'll find lots of past posts regarding the Concepts and how to correctly activate the pelvic floor.

Move slower into position than you normally would so that you give your brain a chance to get feedback from your muscles and you will notice more what you're feeling and where you are feeling the muscles working. If something doesn't feel right....don't do it.

Let me know if you need more help.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Oh, as for abs there is an ab exercise which is awesome for pregnancy after the first trimester. It's on the SuperCallanetics video and also the first ab exercise on Evolution.

I'm going to be setting up skype one on one sessions so I'll be posting here when I'm good to go and maybe you like to take a class with me. If you do I'd suggest doing this at maybe 20 weeks when you are showing more and feeling that your exercises need modifying.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #95
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Sandrahanna! Very helpful. Thank you.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Okay I need help..I've on and off been doing 10 and 10 for a few years now. I also own the evolution dvd and cardio callanetics. Never done cardio callanetics, I have done evo (about half of it once.)

I have been starting up again but I'm confused...Which should I start with? 10 and 10 or Evolution? I am perfectly capable of doing both but which is 'better,' per-sey?

Thank you in advance!
PrincessNutznBoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:49 AM   #97
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alaskachick
Stats: 185/177/150
WOE: Atkins/Low-Carb Started JUDDD: 12/22/12
Start Date: October 10, 2011
hello all!

logging two more 10/10 this week (and my callanetics evo should be here any day!)

erica
alaskachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:37 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CosmicGirl
WOE: Vegetarian.
Start Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrahanna View Post
I know that it can be confusing for those not familiar with Evolution. However, Callan would instruct roll the hip forward for the hip and behind. This does isolate the outer thigh. However, an intensification for this exercise would be to slightly turn your knee out and up...without moving your pelvis. This creates an outward rotation of the leg to feel the muscles working deeper through the outer thigh and leg muscles.

When you engage the pelvic floor it does the exact same thing...the knee slightly turns out and up. The leg (not the hip) will turn outwards from the hip socket. It's a case of achieving the same result but doing it differently ie from the knee or from the pelvic floor. I always encourage my students to think of doing things differently while they work out. This brings more awareness in to the exercise and keeps the student focused.

Hope this makes sense LEt me know
Thanks for this. I tried it this way this morning and could only manage 80 on each side. I felt the muscle working further up so I assuming that this means I was doing it correctly! I think that I was probably using my lower leg before...
CosmicGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessNutznBoltz View Post
Okay I need help..I've on and off been doing 10 and 10 for a few years now. I also own the evolution dvd and cardio callanetics. Never done cardio callanetics, I have done evo (about half of it once.)

I have been starting up again but I'm confused...Which should I start with? 10 and 10 or Evolution? I am perfectly capable of doing both but which is 'better,' per-sey?

Thank you in advance!
Hopefully someone more qualified will answer you, but for now, here's my opinion:
I don't think any of them are 'better' but the newer dvds do cover the concepts in more detail (where Callan in 10/10 says to tighten the behind and tilt the pelvis, the newer dvds would suggest that instead you 'engage' the pelvic floor...) You would probably be just as well mixing it up so as to confuse the muscles. Personally, if I am returning to Callanetics after a break, I start with 10/10 because I know it so well but then, every 4 or so workouts, I will do the (excellent) toning section of the Cardio Cal dvd to mix it up. (I hardly ever do the cardio section because I am horribly uncoordinated but it is great for shaping up the legs!)
Old 11-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: planetbenjamin
Done my hour of 10/10 for the day.

I made a mini film to remind us how fabulous Callan is. Enjoy!!

Videos Posted by Callanetics: Callan [HQ] | Facebook
planetbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:23 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetbenjamin View Post
Done my hour of 10/10 for the day.

I made a mini film to remind us how fabulous Callan is. Enjoy!!

Videos Posted by Callanetics: Callan [HQ] | Facebook
Excellent stuff - thanks
Old 11-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: boco
hi, hope it´s not to late to joing. i have about 20kg to lose until i´m completly happy and back to where i was. planning on starting 10/10 tomorrow and also using my crosstrainer to burn fat.

i have a question to the callanteachers, i work crazy hours so have to do my callan after dinnertime. are you suppost to eat after callan lika othes exercises for the muscels or can you just work out and go to bed with the same results? and how ofter are you suppost to do it for best result (if i only do 10/10 for now)?

i´m exited to get smoking hot!
boco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BlondXuXa
Quote:
I did Callanetics during my 2 pregnancies, 26 and 22 years ago. I waited until the end of my 2nd trimester, and when they told me to push, they actually said "Wow", and told me not to push so hard. When my son was born, my husband warned the Dr. that the baby would be born quickly; and sure enough, it took just 4 pushes. The exercises taught me how to focus, and they made me feel strong and more in control. God Bless you and your little ones.
BlondXuXa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
Hopefully someone more qualified will answer you, but for now, here's my opinion:
I don't think any of them are 'better' but the newer dvds do cover the concepts in more detail (where Callan in 10/10 says to tighten the behind and tilt the pelvis, the newer dvds would suggest that instead you 'engage' the pelvic floor...) You would probably be just as well mixing it up so as to confuse the muscles. Personally, if I am returning to Callanetics after a break, I start with 10/10 because I know it so well but then, every 4 or so workouts, I will do the (excellent) toning section of the Cardio Cal dvd to mix it up. (I hardly ever do the cardio section because I am horribly uncoordinated but it is great for shaping up the legs!)
Thanks! That's what I've been doing (10 in 10) been too afraid to try Evo cause I know the original so well! Lol.

Will try Evo tonight.
PrincessNutznBoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #105
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mahnazmalik
hi evryone!

howz ur callanetics going? well frenz i ve a question to the callanetics expert plz, am doing 10/10 almost 6 times a week and really having difference in body. but i want much difference till the end of december. i thought to do am/pm callanetics alongwith 10/10. is it safe to do all these workout in a day, means i ve heared excess of excercise is not good. plz do helpp me, n yeah what would be the suitable time after eating or before eating something?
mahnazmalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:57 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Javaholic
WOE: trying to cut out the junk!
Logging 1 hour Evo, and 1hr40min cardio.
Javaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: boco
did my 1 hour (or more like hour and a half) did not remeber it being so hard!
but i felt it working.
boco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweettooth
Logging 4 half hour sessions completed...I know I won't meet my goal this month... but never say never!
sweettooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #109
Junior LCF Member

nobody replied my question
Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #110
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
mahnazmalik...Listen to your body if you feel fine then do it, but it you need a rest do listen, and I would think 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on how much food you have eaten is more than enough time after eating, to wait to do callanetics.
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:50 AM   #111
Junior LCF Member

thanx alot tempted by food
Old 11-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #112
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sil144
Sandrahanna... one question! Those 23 years of Callanetics are combined with other exercises to stay in that great shape???
I haven't even started yet! But I wanna know what routine should I follow... more cardio, weights plus the dvds?
Tks!
sil144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil144 View Post
Sandrahanna... one question! Those 23 years of Callanetics are combined with other exercises to stay in that great shape???
I haven't even started yet! But I wanna know what routine should I follow... more cardio, weights plus the dvds?
Tks!

Nothing but Callanetics

In the first few years I would drift off and try something else but always came back to Callanetics for the results and how I would feel. For cardio I will do CardioCallanetics but I walk lots at weekend. I'm pretty lazy really when it comes to exercise and it's another reason why I love Callanetics. Teaching and demonstrating exercises every day helps also of course. So, I topping up regularly.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

20 min cardio and 1hr evo under the belt..
Old 11-25-2010, 01:44 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

a convert!!

My boss looked at my arms and asked, "What are you doing to tone them up?"
I've introduced him to Callanetics and after just 3 sessions he is a believer!

These exercises are truly fast and effective
Old 11-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #116
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondXuXa View Post
I did Callanetics during my 2 pregnancies, 26 and 22 years ago. I waited until the end of my 2nd trimester, and when they told me to push, they actually said "Wow", and told me not to push so hard. When my son was born, my husband warned the Dr. that the baby would be born quickly; and sure enough, it took just 4 pushes. The exercises taught me how to focus, and they made me feel strong and more in control. God Bless you and your little ones.
Wow is all I can say! and I tought I did good in pushing my first one out in 30 mins! lol well I am slowly starting back up with my Callanetics, not doing the full workout right now, just a few til I can kick these first trimester yucks! Thanks for the encouraging story!
Old 11-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #117
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherMarsh
WOE: modified Gabriel Method
Having to delay my reintroduction to Calanetics - my daughter currently has my 'Beginning Callanetics' DVD.

A quick question - I had a bad MS attack and have only reached the stage where I can once again trust how my body feels. And I am overweight and very unfit.

I have the Beginning Callanetics DVD and the am/pm DVD. Which is the best to start on - and how many repetitions should I aim for?
HeatherMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:46 AM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Stats: Lost 100 lbs. & 6 sizes; 30 lbs. and 2 sizes left!
WOE: Low cal, mod carb, and cycle it all
Start Date: Summer 2002
Checking in!

Got in AM Callenetics yesterday followed by a walk. I will do PM in just a little while.

The only thing sore is under my chin. My form in the ab exercises is probably off, so I'm working on that. Otherwise, barely sore anywhere. And I am happy about that! I have some health issues and if I'm overly sore and tired, it usually means I overdid it and will be resting a lot on the couch to make up for it.

I love some of the modifications in Evolution and have been using them in all of Callan's videos. I especially like taking a wide 2nd position for the thigh exercises. I would like to eventually get up on the balls of my feet when I'm strong enough. For now, wide 2nd is challenging enough.

I am loving Callan. I used to be a gymnast and her workout reminds me of our class warmups

I hope everyone is enjoying a lovely holiday weekend here in the US!

My blog http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/bl...-vintageously/
Live Vintageously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: morton19
Just finished Super Callanetics...with a couple of breaks. Whew it was tough! But I definitely need those extra hips and behind exercises. I also added in an extra 200 inner thigh squeezes because I needed them too!

For those who do SuperC, how many did sessions did it take for you to notice significant results? I know in her book, Callan says that one session is the equivalent to 20 10/10 but has anyone experienced this?
morton19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Stats: Lost 100 lbs. & 6 sizes; 30 lbs. and 2 sizes left!
WOE: Low cal, mod carb, and cycle it all
Start Date: Summer 2002
Interesting observation

This month I re-commenced Callanetics and have put in a few sessions, plus making daily use of the waist stretch (a mini challenge for myself). Tonight I noticed something crazy but neat: my belly button is higher on my stomach. It would seem that I am pulling up, though I haven't pulled in yet. (?)

That is tonight's observation, made while brushing my teeth and pulling up my shirt to see if my stomach looks any better. (Why I gauge my stomach I don't know, since my hips and thighs are my problem area.)
Live Vintageously is offline   Reply With Quote