Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fatbgone72
Does lifting weights make the scale go up?

I was just wondering this because if it does I will not be lifting weights. If it does cause a weight gain how long does it take to show up on the scales?
Just wondering
fatbgone72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pleiades
It can cause some initial water weight gain, and it goes away after a few weeks. Lifting weights is VERY good for you, and you should do it even if the scale goes up a little bit.
Pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fatbgone72
I do light weight lifting. But I could handle more. It helps with my posture. I seem to plateau when I start hitting it hard. I look spectacular but that scale won't move. That scares me to death.
fatbgone72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pleiades
If you look better, the scale number doesn't matter. There's a great thread in the main lobby right now about losing weight without exercise and people seem to agree that it doesn't really matter what the number on the scale is as long as their body gets smaller. Which is what weight lifting will help you do. Don't be afraid to lift heavy. I'm assuming you're female? Most women do not have enough testosterone to get bulky. Look at H20Goddess and JuliaL here - they lift heavy and they have gorgeous, lean bodies.
Pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 4mer fatty
Stats: 238/205/170
WOE: WOE - all caps - says it all
Depends on how much you eat. There is no reason to believe that you can gain weight without over-eating.

That being said, if I lift weights and over-eat, I gain more weight than if I run or bicycle long distances and over-eat. Even with over-eating, weight training definitely makes me stronger, makes my body feel better, probably makes me look a little better, but, if the scale tells the whole story, running and cycling work better.
4mer fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Insomniac
I may see an initial pound or two on the scale a day or so after I do weight training but I know that's my muscles retaining fluid and will go away. Am I discouraged by that "gain"? Yes, but the benefits (how I feel mostly) from the weight training outweigh the disappointment. I do believe over the long term your body composition will change and you will get leaner by weight lifting.
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SistaDiva2001
Weight Training/Lifting..Go for IT!

I have been on the Belly Fat Cure since January 1 and it is now March 1 and I am down almost 30 pounds. I have exercised since Day 1 with Aerobics and now I am doing Interval Training with weights, Jari Love Ripped, Pattick Goudeau and others for 7 out of the 8 weeks. My body is responding so well to the weights, diet and exercise.

I was watching QVC yesterday and Richard Simmons happened to be on there. I had not seen him in years. He is still very thin, but he has NO MUSCLE tone. It just did not look good. He may love having that "body type" of no muscle tone and thin, but at his age, he could benefit from building more muscle. I am a huge Richard fan because he has helped so many people shed weight, but he has never been about weight training and strong muscles do a body good!
SistaDiva2001 is offline   Reply With Quote