Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mrgarak
Stats: Happy as long as size 29 jeans keep fitting
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedo View Post
Chantyl, well done. just getting out there on your own for the first race is hard. Then add the weather and the things that come up that you don't expect. It will get easier. May I suggest looking into a running club near you. We have a beginning women's program, 5K,10K( hubby is coach), HM and two marathon programs with my club. There is also a walking program and a beginning women's program. There was an 8K program but not sure if they still have it. Maybe if they can find another coach.

I find you can learn so much with the programs and make so many friends. It is nice having a buddy with you in a race.

Betty, I think I am slowing down bigtime. I guess I will know when I do the 2-3 races I have coming up in the next 6 weeks. I am running slower and slower and with the snow a lot of our speed workouts have been cancelled. I can't wait to hear about your marathon. I have a friend doing the half.

I ran Saturday morning with my training group. We had to change locations and started earlier since we needed to go down some roads that would only get busy as the day progressed. Mostly it was on Beach Dr which is closed on weekends for parts or it. We left downtown Bethesda but had to take roads over to Beach Dr. There were some giant hills. Bigger then any we ever run or train on except the Mormon Temple hill. That is in one big one. This was three or four long ones. Once on Beach Dr. It is relatively flat. Our pace ended up a minute slower then what we have been running and really slower then what we should be running. You can't take these hills fast and my friend and I never totally stopped running we did walking water so my Garmin slows down to that pace. We did 14 miles. My longest since October. I would have like to have gotten a 15 in this week and a 16 in next week but not going to happen. Next week there is another 14 on the schedule and it will probably be the same route since every other possible route is snow covered. My HM is mid March and I like to have a few 14s, a 15 and a 16 under my belt. I don't see the 16 happening because I have a hilly 10 mile race in two weeks and then two weeks till the half. I don't think I want to do a 16 miler two weeks out. I will do the 14 and then a 10 the two weeks before. My over all miles were bumped up for last week by a 6 miler yesterday. I got just under 29 miles. The week before only 23 all because of the storms. I should have been around 31-32. Oh well. It is hard to run when you can't even get your car out of the driveway and the snow is mid thigh deep.

Our training is really suffering and the track won't be clear for a while. I am waiting to see what he plans for tomorrow night. Wed and Thursday I may do the neighborhood thing yet again.

I am off to work. 12 horus of ER fun.
Have a good shift Deb and don't work too hard. I can understand your frustration with the snow. I've had more than enough weeks where my mileage has suffered. I try to use them as rest weeks and pick it up when conditions get better.

Dean
mrgarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Atkins Ambassador

Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 108 pounds / 59 yo / maintaining 12 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -12 YEARS ON ATKINS
Hi Dean and everyone!!!

Tapering begins this week. I am resting today (Monday) since I needed 2 days off after my 20 miler last Saturday... Yep, nothing like running 20 miles to realize you are, in fact, 54 years of age.

So Tuesday I will do 10, then Thursday 6.3, and Saturday another 12. Next week, even less.

I have to say I am VERY NERVOUS about this upcoming marathon. Not that I can't do it; I know I can, I've done 2 already. But this is my first one since my foot surgery and the placement of the screw in my foot and frankly, I'm scared I may damage it. Much as I'd like to PR, I won't if it means I'll screw up my screw (is that redundant? ) and end up having to have total joint fusion ... which could potentially end my running once and for all. Shoot me now, please.

For some reason, I am REALLY scared about this race.

Betty
Old 02-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stephanie34
Stats: 206/180/163. ..
WOE: Atkins, now Weight Watchers points.
Start Date: 9/21/09
Hey Betty. My only thoughts to you are. You have been training, you have already ran 20. Was your foot o.k afterward? 6 more miles should not be much worse. And maybe really start cutting back miles this week as well .Like if your gonna run 10, run 8? if your gonna run 6, run 4? and then next week, so run a couple. Your body is alreay trained. you not going to get anymore endurance, nor are you going to lose it. Keep at your pace that you have been training for. You are there. if it were me, since you have been training this whole time fine ( i guess). I would run this one as lets see how my foot feels. get whatever your time is and then re think it. maybe halfs are more for you. I have ran 3 marathons as well, and they are long and they are hard. Halfs are great, maybe focus on a PR for those.. Go with what you know you have been through. Good luck...
Do you want TASTE, or RESULTS???
Zig Ziglar says, "if you don't know where your going, you're probably not going to end up anywhere. Expert on setting goals.
Marathons completed, 3.
Half marathons completed, 9.
Jan 24, 09 next half marathon.. Carlsbad!!! DONE!
Jun, 6th, 10 Half marathon. RNR
stephanie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Atkins Ambassador

Thanks, Stephanie, I really appreciate your support, honest. I know (in my mind) I can do this. I know I am as trained as I'll ever be. I know my body can do it. I dunno .. never felt this nervous before. I think I've been thinking too much about the hellacious pain I went through with my foot surgery and how I DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN EVER ... and I so hope and pray that this marathon doesn't set me back .... I know the next (and final) step for me will be total joint fusion and I so don't want that to happen ... right now I am wondering why I signed up for this !

But I shall prevail. I won't give up and I won't give in. I can and will do this.

I.will.do.it. It won't be a PR and it probably won't be impressive to anyone but me, but I'll finish it.

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
Atkins Ambassador

10.4 miles in today.

Nervous as I am about the marathon, I am now to the point in my training that I just want it over with. I'm tired, burned out, you name it ... been training since Thanksgiving and that's enuf ! Now I know why this will be my last marathon. The training is just grueling. How do people do a marathon a month or some other craziness like that ?? I don't know. But what I do know is, when it gets to the point when its not fun anymore, its time to ease up.

I met a running buddy of mine today when I was out there. He's 84 and been running since he was 63. He's a competitor to the CORE of his being and right now, he's nursing a leg injury and he's MAD about the whole thing. That's not how I want to end up ... when the competitive edge makes me EDGY! No. I took up this hobby initially for recreational activity to help me maintain my weight loss. Not because I'm a gifted athlete or need to prove anything to anyone. I love distance running because it challenges me to "move out of my comfort zone" and see what this 54 year old body can do. But now, 3 months into marathon training, its rapidly becoming not all that much fun. I find myself groaning when its a running day ... and frankly, I don't like that at all. My body is just flat out tired.

So, in 12 days, this will be over. I know I'm as prepared as I'll ever be. Once I've got the medal, I'm taking some sabbatical. Trouble is, what's a girl to do if she's not running? Housework? Me thinks not.

Betty
Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

I ran over 5 miles on the dreadmill at the gym due to the snow. After weights and abs workouts, I hopped on and ran briskly for 45 minutes. The pace started at 9 minutes per mile and I gradually brought it down to faster than 8:30 pace.

Betty - I think you will be fine in your marathon. Something tells me you will continue to run, but go for shorter distances. I know the burned out feeling myself. My training for the Walt Disney World Marathon took me through the fall and early winter. Fall was great for the most part despite a cold that didn't quite sideline me. As we got closer to the holidays, I started to feel burned out. With cold weather, shopping, partying, work and trying to get the miles in I could not wait for the training to end. My training even suffered a little in the last few weeks due to bad weather and feeling another cold come on. Thankfully, I had been consistent in the earlier stages and it didn't hurt me in the end. Now I am grateful to be training for half marathons and feel reinvigorated. I can't wait to read your report.

Dean
Old 02-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ab1ht
Stats: 160+/143/sub-140 (stretch goal)
WOE: Eating what Mother Nature provides
Start Date: December 2007
Betty: Yes, I understand the burn out factor. To answer your rhetorical question re: how people do this every month...

I know a lot of endurance people (including marathoners) switch up their sports. Triathletes have it a little easier, I think, at least mentally. While the training is more "intense", there is also more variety. That helps a lot.

I'm excited for you about your upcoming event. I look forward to the pics and race report.
ab1ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: westside
Stats: Start 199/186/175
Start Date: 2/17/12
I've been really laid back with my running since my marathon in early December. My schedule has changed and I'm often working before 7:00am so it's been difficult to find the motivation to get up really early and I don't run in the afternoon or evenings.

I still get about 30 miles a week on 3-4 days a week and that seems good enough to keep some base level endurance and a jumping off point for something larger.
westside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Betty- I think the very same things as you. you said how I feel after every full. Thats why halfs are great. I can run 10 miles every other weekend, and still at a drop of a notice if someone says lets do a hlaf on Sunday, I am always ready. its no big deal. FULLS are just long.. But a great accomplishment. If they were easy, everyone would be doinn them. You will be fine. Dont run much anymore till the marathon. I bet you'll be more rested and goinn there feeling much better, than you feel right now. I would not even run next week at all, save yur energy, your legs and just have fun. When running is no longer fun, thats a problem. We run cause its fun,not a chore.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie34 View Post
Betty- I think the very same things as you. you said how I feel after every full. Thats why halfs are great. I can run 10 miles every other weekend, and still at a drop of a notice if someone says lets do a hlaf on Sunday, I am always ready. its no big deal. FULLS are just long.. But a great accomplishment. If they were easy, everyone would be doinn them. You will be fine. Dont run much anymore till the marathon. I bet you'll be more rested and goinn there feeling much better, than you feel right now. I would not even run next week at all, save yur energy, your legs and just have fun. When running is no longer fun, thats a problem. We run cause its fun,not a chore.
you guys crack me up with your "lets do a half on sudays". Crack me up I tell ya!!!!

I did an "easy" (read very very slow) run this afternoon. I don't really run in the evenings but i'm having a hard time finding motivation in the mornings. I also actually ran outside as opposed to the treadmill. OMG. its very very different (read much more difficult outside). But i really enjoyed it.

Here's the thing though, my ipod died during my 5k this weekend so i didn't have any music. Well, listening to my breathing was scary. It was very irregular sounding. I can't find my marathon running book to reread the breathing section, so i'm gonna do some googling. Gotta get that under control. Well the lesson in all of this for me is that i'm really glad i ran without my ipod and noticed.

Chantyl

Cut the Crap take 2: sw:276.4 cw: 259.6 Pts: 84!
For 8 weeks I made 84 positive choices!
CTC begins again on 3/2 join us!
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i say breathe in comfortably through your mouth, belly breathe, take deep breaths push down with your diaphragm, expand stomach , not chest. this means your inflating the lungs with each breath -- out of mt 4 hour marathon book....

i like to breathe in for 3 counts and out.. now its is second nature..

o.k guys. Can you please me some daily sample menus. I am dying here with this no carb thing, or very little. my legs are dead. I need energy, running is becoming a chore. I want energy.. PLEASE HELP. I am a visual person. i need to see things on paper.. any one help would be great...
Old 02-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
Tyl

Thanks Stephanie. Will work on my breathing when i go out on friday.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CGSF
Hey Runners!

It's been a while. I just wanted to check in and say hello. Good news for me on the healing front. I started taking an NSAID a couple of weeks ago and I have actually been able to do a bit of easy running on the treadmill. I've been taking it real slow (pace and frequency) but I have been able to do about 3 miles at a 10-11 min pace about every 4 days or so. I had my Achilles surgury on the third week in March last year and I was starting to think that I may never be able to run again. I have been hitting the eliptical and weights since Oct, took off about 35lbs and feel like I'm starting to get into decent shape and there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe I will be able runs in some 5ks in the fall. In the meantime, I am signing up with my 11 year old daughter and my 7 year old son to run a 1.2 mile "kids marathon" at the NJ Marathon on April 2nd. I can't wait!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

back CGSF! I'm glad to hear things are going well. When you say NJ Marathon on April 2nd, do you mean May 2nd? I'm running the Long Branch Half Marathon at the NJ Marathon events.

Today I did a strength training run on the treadmill which lasted just over 7 miles. I started at 9 minute per mile pace, dropped to 8:30 after 20 minutes and ran 3 miles at a little faster than 8. Then I slowed it down for the last ten minutes to cool down. I felt strong in the legs and kept going despite it being hot in the gym. I'm looking to run at 8 minute pace (or a little faster) for Long Branch and thought this was a good way to simulate hot conditions at a quicker pace.

Dean
mrgarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: westside
Stats: Start 199/186/175
Start Date: 2/17/12
Hey Jim, Welcome back. I'm glad to hear that things are getting better.
westside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CGSF
Slow and not so steady, Bill, but better none-the-less. Ha!

I'll have to check the date, Dean.
CGSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

o.k guys. any help with your menus? Is it locked in a secret volt or aomething?

I ran 5 miles today. Legs had no energy. I am about to go back on the it's all white diet... Any bit of tips would help.. and I am not into all the % for this or that. just want to see some typical daily eats.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #19
Tyl

Stephanie, i don't have much to add... i'm not a real runner like those that post here! hopefully they pop in and help ya out.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Steph,

I don't know if I'm someone you should emulate, but here's my typical day:

B: MIM with cream cheese, meat (bacon or spam), hot water.
Snack (if I get hungry): MIM with peanut butter.
L: Left over pot roast, can of string beans with some Planters mixed nuts sprinkled in. Water.
D: Chicken wings and salad with olive oil.
Dessert: Cloud or two with peanut butter.

I've been eating like this for a while and have been pretty active (see my siggy for a log of the past few weeks). Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks Paul. thats pretty much me... I cant figure out why my legs are always dead. maybe its just me..

Breakfast eggs, cheese, bacon. Iced coffee with HC.
Lunch- tuna salad, egg, ranch, avocado, veggies.
snack are a varity of nuts, string cheese. celery almond butter maybe an apple.
dinner meat and veggies.
snack on drink vanilla protein with strawberries(5)

Plenty of water, plenty of food. what gives? I am about to go on the all white diet. I am less than I weghed in 15 year and I am 40 seconds slower per mile than I was in 09. maybe I should go on the all beer and french bread diet...

and thanks I love all help
Old 02-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What is the all white diet?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

its my smart ARSE way of saying I am going back to potatos, bagels, pastas, pretzels, kashi go lean crunch.. But I wont, but when I did, i ran faster and I was heavier

I tell my hubby I am going on the "its all white diet", instead of saying its all right. I am a dork job.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #24

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
I some how lost track of this thread this week.

Wow it is good to have both Betty and it is Jim(CGSF)? back. can't even remember names.

I have been running as much as I can with struggles to find clear routes. I am running around the same miles a week as you Bill but I am training for a few things. This week I hit 35 and I think it will not get much higher unless I do more 5 day weeks. I did a 5th day this week but probably won't again. I just happened to be off and figured an easy 5 with friends wouldn't hurt me.

Betty you will do great. I want to do another marathon and plan on it but when I think of the race I get a bit anxious. I like the training.

It is sunny here today. Things are melting but so many sidewalks are snow covered or iced over. The trails are snow covered. We have one decent place to run on the weekends and will be there until other places get cleared. The track is not runable so we are doing a neighborhood loop. It means we are do hill work with tempo pace instead of interval pace on the flat track. It isn't easy at all. I have done more hills the last few weeks. I hope it helps my speed. I have a race Sunday(10 hilly miles) and a half in one month. Then I have a 10K the end of April and Marathon training begins one week after that. I am skipping the Cherry Blossom 10 miler this year. It was too hard doing a half, 10 miler and 10K in a 6 week period. I decided Cherry Blossom was a hassle. It is over crowded and I have done it three times. I wanted to do Shamrock Half again and the 10k is the goal race for my present training program. So I made a hard decision because everyone does CB if they can get in. There was a lottery this year because last year it filled up in a matter of a few hours.

Off to run errands. Tonight is Club Awards Party. Husband and I are getting some sort of award. I was a race short for three awards this year. Marathon training meant not running as many races. Kind of bothers me but I accomplished something big in exchange for not getting a Championship series award. I also missed out on a Team award because I only did two team races and did one two few races for the participation series. So not sure what award I am getting but most likely it will be volunteer service.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #25
Atkins Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie34 View Post
its my smart ARSE way of saying I am going back to potatos, bagels, pastas, pretzels, kashi go lean crunch.. But I wont, but when I did, i ran faster and I was heavier

I tell my hubby I am going on the "its all white diet", instead of saying its all right. I am a dork job.
NO YOU'RE NOT! Don't make me find you!!!

How many calories are you taking in during the day? What about fruit ?? Yogurt? (full fat of course!) Do you take supplements? Specifically a B-complex ? How about green tea? How much FAT do you eat?

While it takes time to learn to run strong on fewer carbs, I am proof positive that it can be done. I'm not a speed demon, but as a 54 year old never-been-an-athlete (read: SLOW), I can outlast plenty of higher carbing youngerthings.... Not really boasting, here, just sayin'........ I eat a ton of fat and heavy on the protein for a woman who weighs 100 pounds soaking wet....

NO WHITE unless its swiss cheese, heavy cream, and cauliflower.
Betty
Old 02-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #26
Atkins Ambassador

Less than 7 days now ....

My official taper started yesterday with an easy 12 mile run. It was actually fun ... something that hasn't been the case lately ... I dunno, 3 months of marathon training is almost worse than the feat itself........ But now we're less than a week away and the excitement is starting to build....

I want to do well, but most of all I want to really ENJOY the journey ... and not get so caught up in my goals that I forget that this is the culmination of hours and hours and hours of hard work ... and something to truly relish that, even at my age, I can still be out there competing (even if my only REAL competition is the little voice inside me that says "betcha can't....") I live in a very pretty city and its great that I'll be here at home doing this ... I want to truly pause and reflect on how great it is to live where I can run outdoors year round ... that I don't have to own a dreadmill (not that others shouldn't, its just that *I* can't imagine having to.....) Well, I digress .. which of course is just the beginning of the craziness of having to REST this week ...

Tapering, albeit necessary, kinda leaves you in a lurch ... "what do I do now? Stare at the clock until I line up at the starting line?" Who knows what this week will bring ... I know it brings a fabulous EXPO on Friday night where I plan to do some serious bank account damage ....

Happy running to everyone! Jim, glad to see you back here! Many thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement!

Betty
Old 02-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When training alone, those runs over 12 miles get really long and lonely. Training can be fun, but for us lone-wolf types, it's really a chore. The marathon itself is really the treat. So go slow and enjoy it!
Old 02-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HA HA Betty. NO way.. I will eat whole grains, and I have started eating fruits. I am so sick of my legs feeling wasted.. anyways... enough of me..

So good luck next weekend, how very exciting!! Tell us all about it.. what is your typical menu for a 100 lb girl.

I try and eat 1600 calories, i would say, give or take a 100 here or there.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #29
Atkins Ambassador

typical menu?

Pretty boring, actually.

B: here lately, I seem to be in a rut. I dunno; I like it, therefore I stick with it.

one banana
one cup calorie countdown choc milk
splash heavy cream

Mix in the blender. Enjoy.

L: Lunch? These days I'm not working, so I eat brekkie late. Alot of times I don't eat lunch; especially if I run cuz I'm NEVER hungry after a run.

D: Protein and non-starchy veggie. Could be steak and broccoli, or chicken and cauliflower, etc. You get the idea.

Snack if needed: cheese cubes and maybe a glass or two of chardonnay. Yep, I love my white wines.

See, told ya: BORING.

Betty
Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i know that does not sound like much food Betty. I eat a ton.. and i get ya on the wine front.. I love my beers. I may switch to wine though... beers go down so fast and easy... i know everybody's are different. i need to figure out what works for me.. BLAHH. i just hate the stress of it.. I love atkins though, i would never be a quitter!! .